Thomas boys and TBHS an all boys school

The first high school in Timaru opened 2 Feb. 1880 in Cain St. (on the present site of TGHS) with A.L. Halket-Dawson as headmaster and 35 girls and 29 boys. He introduced science into the curriculum (an unconventional innovation) and took in borders into his own home. He was dismissed in 1888. George Hogben, M.A., took over as rector on 4 April 1889. He has been in the colony since 1881 as Master at the Christchurch Boys' High School, Inspector of North Canterbury and has also been president of the North Canterbury and New Zealand Educational Institutes. He erected a wood workshop (the first time this subject was taught at any school in New Zealand), gained outstanding University Scholarship results, and established a gymnasium for physical education. In 1897 most of the school was destroyed by fire and the rebuild scheme divided the boys and girls, careful fencing and separate entrances ensured there was minimal contact. In 1899 George Hogben as he had been appointed Inspector General of Schools and was farewelled in March. As Director of Education for New Zealand he drafted the Education Act under which the whole Education system of New Zealand is still run. Hogben Hall name after him. map 2008. Mr John Harkness, M.A. was the acting headmaster with 50 on the roll. The position was advertised with a salary at £450 per annum. G.A. Simmers followed and retired because of ill-health mid-way through 1912 with a school roll of 76 boys (over the fence Miss Barbara M. Watt, the lady principal, had 61 girls on her roll). First assistant R. H. Rockel, M.A., was acting Rector for the remainder of the year. He was succeeded by William "Bill" Thomas, M.A., a former Waimate HS pupil, headmaster of Pleasant Point High School in 1906 -1909 and later headmaster of Waimataitai. He was a  brilliant speaker and was an outstanding headmaster, staying for 22 years. He was considered the pioneer of music in schools. When he retired in 1935 School House was renamed Thomas House. W. Thomas died in Timaru in 1945, a sudden death while attending a friend's daughter's wedding and was buried at the Timaru Cemetery, and has no headstone. The north wing of the Memorial Library has photographs of the previous Rectors of the School.

The Timaru High School separated at the beginning of the school year 1913 into two campus' TBHS & TGHS. 19 March 1913 Timaru High School was disbanded and the boys’ school was established at North St, while the girls remained at Cain St. 94 students and five staff members arrived at the school on its first day. It was officially opened by the Prime Minister Mr Bill Massey 19 March 1913. The school boys looked splendidly neat in their grey shirts and blue knickers. The school was a very fine brick structure has been in use since the beginning of 1913. It contained a very fine hall which the afternoon function was held. Mr J. Bitchner (chairman of the High School Board), said that the erection of the building supplied a long felt want for the town. The building scheme was not yet completed. Mr W.B. Howell was called the "father" of the new school. Mr Thomas, the rector, gave an admirable speech which impressed all who heard it. He said "they hoped to send out from the school lads of character, who would fight the battle of life in a manly way."

Mapuru Memories 1945 - TBHS Song Book

 1912

The Timaruvian of 1912 bemoaned the fact that the Prefects did little to justify their status. This year they were expected to provide a good example, check the latecomers and absentees. The Head Prefect could cane but only do so in the presence of other prefects.
The Board of Governors owned reserves of land around South Canterbury – Kakahu Bush, Temuka, Clandeboye and Willowbridge. These reserves were leased as revenue streams for the school.
Scarlet fever twice caused the boys in the Rectory to be quarantined. The boarders spent ten days out at Raincliff during one of the outbreaks. Outdoor education at its best.
Minutes of August 1912 record “the Board discussed the appointment of the new Rector and decided to advertise in Timaru and the four centres for a man at £500 per annum”. They received 35 applications. There were three short listed and Mr Bill Thomas was appointed on the casting vote of the Chairman. Mr. Bill Thomas re-energised the new school in North St. Only one of the six staff of the previous year began the 1913 school year. There were many changes. The roll jumped by 25% to 97 boys. The 1st XV were to have a new jersey from now on – it would be “white with a blue monogram”. Speedy Oil was sung with gusto on the 24 July. It worked, with a 12-8 win over Waitaki. There were now 30 boarders so new dormitories were planned. Improving the school environs and grounds was seen as urgent. In this the girls’ school was not entirely forgotten – we shared the pony drawn lawn mower!

In March 2013 the school had a roll of 724 boys and 50 staff members. In 2014 the schools, TBHS and TGHS share an international students director, drama productions, have the same crest, and combine some boarding services and about 50 students "switch" campuses each day to allow them better access to subjects they choose to study.

Timaru Herald, 31 March 1920, Page 7
Work is now in full swing again at the Timaru Boys' High School, after the influenza epidemic. The boarders at the outbreak were removed to Peel Forest, where they camped under canvas accompanied by the Rector and Mr Cockroft, a procedure which was efficacious in reducing the number of cases. The attendance is now almost normal. The Girls' High School has also resumed, but is working under difficulties. 

Mr. Bill Thomas’ final address in 1934 as Rector offered seven values.

1. He recognised physical fitness and physical well-being as of paramount importance in the development of young men.
2. He was determined that every young boy got the opportunity to pursue his chosen calling or career.
3. Mr. Thomas supported a diverse curriculum – with no soft options.
4. He wanted hard work, accuracy and perseverance in every course.
5. Young men must have the time and opportunity to pursue their creative talents.
6. Mr. Thomas demanded equality of opportunity for every boy who entered the school, it should be a democratic school where race, religion, or parental status played no part.
7. He would require each boy to be true to himself and support his fellows and finally he wanted a happy school. 

New Zealand Herald, 16 October 1934, Page 10
The rector of the Timaru Boys' High School for the last 22 years, Mr. William Thomas, has verbally announced to the board of governors of the school his retirement as from February 28, 1935. Mr. Thomas is a well-known educationalist. He is a graduate of the Canterbury University College, Christchurch, where he gained the degree of M.A. in 1908. In 1922 he took the LL.B. degree.

Evening Post, 28 August 1945, Page 6
Mr. William Thomas, a former rector of Timaru Boys' High School and a prominent Rotarian, died suddenly at Timaru on Saturday. He was twice Governor of the 53rd District of Rotary International, which includes New Zealand and the Fiji Islands, in 1936--37 and 1941-42. As governor he represented New Zealand at the Rotary conference in Atlantic City, U.S.A. Educated at Canterbury College, he received the degree of M.A. in 1908 and of LL.B. in 1922. He became headmaster of Timaru High School in 1913.

Auckland Star, 27 August 1945, Page 3 NOTED EDUCATIONIST
Mr. William THOMAS dead, this day. The Rector of the Timaru Boys' High School from 1913 to 1935, Mr. William Thomas, M.A., LL.B., died suddenly on Saturday, aged 64. He was district governor of Rotary International in 1936 and 1942 and attended the Rotary conference at Atlantic City in 1936. During his retirement he inquired into conditions of University entrance in New Zealand and overseas. He was the chief author of the publication- "Entrance To the University," which influenced the introduction of the accrediting system last year. He was chairman of the consultative committee which revised the secondary school syllabus, presenting a report in December, 1943, which won wide approval. The recommendations of this report, with a few minor amendments, will be put into operation next year.

The feeder schools. In 1911 the primary schools were Timaru Main with a roll of 861, built to accommodate 1000 pupils based on the required space 12ft per pupil, Waimataitai and Timaru South with nearly 400 children. 

 
Lavender growing well in Timaru.  

North Otago Times, 12 April 1899, Page 2
Timaru. April 11. Mr G. A. Simmers, M.A, at present headmaster of Ashburton High School, has been selected headmaster of the Timaru Boys' High School, from 17 applicants.

Oamaru Mail, 19 September 1911, Page 2 TIMARU HIGH SCHOOL.
Timaru. September 18. The High School Board resolved today to call for tenders for the erection of a new boys' high school, the rooms to include laboratories for agricultural work.

New Zealand Herald, 6 September 1912, Page 8
Timaru, Thursday. Mr. W. Thomas, M.A., headmaster of the Waimataitai school, was to-day appointed rector of the Timaru High School.

Timaru Herald, 20 July 1911, Page 2 GOVERNMENT GRANT SOUGHT.
Yesterday afternoon Messrs R.H. Bowie, J. McCahon, and F.A. Raymond, members of the Timaru High School Board of Governors, waited on the member for Timaru [J. Craigie] to ask him assistance in getting a Government grant of £2500 to aid the Board in erecting a new High School on Rectory grounds the for boys in Timaru. At the present time the school for both boys and girls was carried on under one roof, but with distinct staffs for each. Some people objected to the schools being together, and the High School Board considered the time not far distant when the whole of the present building would be required for the girls, and that a new school for boys would have to be built very soon. This being so they considered that in view of the proposed extension of agricultural education at the High School the present would no an opportune time to proceed with a new school for boys. The Board of Education, recognising the importance of agricultural instruction in a district like South Canterbury, had secured the services of one of the best agricultural instructors in the Dominion.

Timaru Herald, 19 September 1911, Page 6 THE NEW HIGH SCHOOL.
Tenders to be called. The monthly meeting of the Timaru High School Board of Governors was held yesterday. Present— Messrs W. B. Howell, (chairman), G. Dash, F. A. Raymond, J. Bitehener, R. Guthrie, B. R. Macdonald, G. W. Armitage, J. McCahon, and Rev. T. Stenson. The chairman said that since last meeting the town members visited the North street site to fix the position of the building, and in consultation with the headmaster and architect decided to place the building between the Rectory and North street, the front being about 1½ chains from the street. This would give room for future additions on the western side. Members also inspected the new entrance to the Rectory being made from Oxford street. With Messrs McCahon and Raymond he had met Mr Hall, of Messrs Hall and Marchant, on the 11th inst, when a satisfactory agreement was come to relative to the charge for plans of new buildings. Members would have noticed that the local MP's., though they appeared to have done their best, were unable to get any aid from the Government for the new building. The plans for the new school were further, discussed with Mr Hall, architect, and Mr Simmers, headmaster. Some slight alterations were made in the plans with a view to reducing the cost, and the architect suggested that 12 months should be given in which, to erect the building as by giving plenty of time the contractors would be able to import some of the material on their own account, and would reduce their price accordingly.

In reply to Mr Armitage, the chairman said that the Minister for Education had declined to give a grant for the proposed new High School. The Government however, had no objection to the Board borrowing money for the purpose. The chairman said the Board had a credit balance of £223, and there was one rent amounting to £44, overdue since April last. It was decided to take steps for the recovery of this sum. The Board decided to borrow from the N.Z. Government Insurance Commissioner a sum of £4000 to meet the cost of the new building. The money is to be lent at 4½ per cent. The building is to be of brick, picked out, and will have an iron roof, it was suggested that it should have a tiled roof but the architect said the cost of tiles would be £l70 more than iron.

Timaru Herald, 12 December 1912, Page 6
In his remarks at the annual prize-giving ceremony yesterday, the acting headmaster of the Timaru Boys' High School, Mr Roekel, said that three things were necessary if the school is to obtain the fullest measure of success in future. They were the loyalty and support of the townspeople, the loyalty and interest of the Board members, and the cultivation of a school spirit. when the school commences work next year in it's new building and under a headmaster whose gifts of character, organisation, and energy are supplemented by a vigorous health. The school's staff can be trusted to do its part to inaugurate a new era. The Board must do its part, by giving the fullest support, and encouragement to the staff. The school has ample resources of vitality within itself, and we have no doubt of the capacity of the new headmaster to instill the needed spirit. Already the institution can feel pride in its scholastic and athletic successes.  

Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19360708-57-2
Taken from the supplement to the Auckland Weekly News 8 July 1936 p57  1977. The main block was demolished at the end of the 1977 school year.

The boy nearest the camera is properly dressed but the one nearer to the building is not and would have been likely to attract some lines from a prefect for
1. Jacket un-bottoned.
2. Socks approaching ankles.
Lines were not the width of the page but Lines from Tennyson's Locksley Hall which took nearly two pages in the exercise book. Running was not used a punishment - either lines, Locksley Hall or Roller Squad or rubbish pickup or detention.

The car is very 1920s might be an Austin 124?
The large trees were walnuts and we used to eat the meat when the nuts were still green and have fingers stained yellow like nicotine staining. The building was indeed a delight good honest Timaru red brick most likely from the Shears works, I loved the detail from the use of contrasting colours. At the top of the steps was an entrance hall with the Rector's office to the left and his Secretary's to the right. I recall photos of Captain Scott and his ill- fated expedition on the walls. At the end of the entrance hall was a door leading into the large central assembly Hall with a stage at the far end, stairs to the left and right led to 1st floor classrooms via a balcony which ran around three sides. Pupils arrived and departed via the four corners of the hall. The right hand corner classroom was where A.J Rae 'Pop' Rae taught art appreciation and freehand drawing. JS wrote Dec. 2014 who boarded for the 1st term in 1942. In the distance to the right can be seen a faint white line which is the roof above the bike shelters. Behind the Library was a 25yard swimming pool and to the north of that were a block known as the Open airs, two stories with a balcony along the front and a chemistry and physics lab. Next was a small room that was used by the brass band then the preparatory school a gap and then the fives courts on the end of the gymnasium with a metal working workshop on the far end.

Whites Aviation photo ATL Oct. 1956

Thomas House - the TBHS boarding establishment
History Thomas House Failure to fill in 1910.

AJHR No. Boarders in July 1948 
TBHS School Hostel 134. Bordered privately 10. Total 144
TGHS School Hostel 75.   Bordered privately 8.   Total    83

The Timaruvian 2002
Throughout the history of TBHS, the high country stations of the Mackenzie Country have been important contributors to the school roll. Many boys from these stations started in the Preparatory School as borders and in some cases spent a decade or more in Thomas House. The Allan's, the Hayman's, the Scott's and the Simpon's are among well-known families from this area and all of these are still represented there today. The Dicks of Lilybank no longer live in the Mackenzie but are well remembered.

Timaru Boys’ High has always had boarding pupils. In 1880, the first Rector, Mr Dawson, advertised that he was “prepared to receive into his house, on the Otipua Road, a limited number of boys attending the High School”. The practice of taking in boarders was continued by Mr Hogben who, for this purpose, leased a house in Craigie Avenue. Not until 1907 was a hostel as such built at a cost of £2312 on the North St. site that had been purchased the previous year. The choice of the title, Rectory, for the new hostel was singularly apt for it was at that time the home of the Rector and his family and was administered by him as a private enterprise independent of the Board. In 1918, when the house system was introduced, the Rectory became known as School House. The hostel was conducted as a personal business venture on the part of the Rector, Mr Thomas, until his retirement in 1935 when the Board took over control of the hostel and renamed it Thomas House in Mr Thomas’s honour. Fraser Wing (1962) (80 borders in bunk rooms) is named after Mr Hanson H. Fraser MBE (1881-1959) a member of the Timaru High School Board from 1923-1959 and Chairman of the Board of Governors from 1936-1959. Redeveloped over the period 1987-90. Jubilee Wing (1984) is named after the 75th Jubilee of Thomas House, the proceeds of which met the cost of this building. Jubilee Wing (sleeps 11) was totally redeveloped in 1999. Manning Wing, purchased in 1997, is named in recognition of the Manning family (Robert who was a pupil (1941 – 45) and member of the school and hostel staff for over 25 years; his wife Betty, hostel matron; and his father, Archibald, member of the Board (1942 – 65). Oxford Wing, the caretaker’s former house, was converted to a dormitory wing in 1999.  The Lindsay Wing, built in 2005, three flats (4 in twin rooms total of 12 seniors), is named for David Powell Lindsay (1920-24), the school's first Olympian, and his cousin, David Frederick Lindsay (1922-25) head of Thomas House and an All Black. In 2015 there were 125 borders. There were 8 borders in 1908. In the 1960s around 200.

Timaru Herald, 28 July 1917, Page 3
The editor visited the Rectory on Wednesday night, and ten draughts boards were set in motion. All the boys put down their games on paper, and they quickly got the figures from memory. There were three wins and three draws for the students.

Men seldom mount at a single bound
To the ladder's very top;
They must slowly climb it round by round,
With many a start and stop.
And the winner is sure to be the man
Who labours day by day,
For the world has learned that the safest plan
Is to keep on pegging away.

TBHS called the Headmaster 'The Rector' and the boarding establishment was called 'The Rectory' although Thomas House named after Bill Thomas the Rector was the official name. Thomas boys were known as Rectory Rats. The rectory was a collection of buildings and included some open air dormitories in 1942. Brrrrrrr. One somewhat spartan practice was to do a run around the block at 7am followed by a cold shower winter and summer. Hot on Saturday nights. JS. In 2009 the boys were known as ratbags. On a really clear South Canterbury day it was possible to see Aorangi/Mt. Cook, The Cloud Piercer, through the Tekapo Saddle at the western end of the Two Thumb Range from the top floor balcony of the Open Air block. The same view was possible from a point on the road near Sutherland's.

 

FROM THE CATERING MANAGER
Thomas House March 2004 newsletter

A quick word from the kitchen
We haven’t time to write
The boys are back and hungry
They need feeding every night.

There are rumbly tums at breakfast
Cocopops just …….disappear
Baked beans and crumpets don’t last long
When hostel boys are near.

The sandwich packs for morning tea
Are walking out the door
And when we put on chocolate cake
The boys come back for more!

At lunch time it’s a bun fight
They hope it might be chips
Healthy things like sprouts and salad
Don’t often pass their lips.

A lot of little day boys
Try to infiltrate the queue
But Rose stands guard with wooden spoon
And has dealt with one or two.

So popular are our lunches
That we sell them at the school
Our croissants and our sammies
Can make the teachers drool.

So…busy, busy, busy
There isn’t time to write
But call me if you’re worried that …….
Your son’s not eating right.

Cate le Comte
ODE TO THOMAS HOUSE
Twelve years have passed since I found my way
To the Hostel kitchen door.
Some years, the time has fairly flown.
Some years ….it seems like more!

As time has a habit of marching on,
And events become quite blurred,
I thought I should jot a few words down,
Though I can’t recall word for word …..

Every conversation I ever had
About nutrition versus desire.
Every argument for green salad and veg
Over the favoured deep fat fryer.

We’ve surveyed the boys to check their tastes
With the results so often the same.
Old favourites such as the roast and the spud
Though predictable, do remain.

The day in the kitchen gets increasingly long
We are busier now than before.
The canteen and Bluestone make demands on our time
We get requests that are hard to ignore.

There have been quite a few staff here in that time
Who have made an impression on me.
Some have moved on and some have stayed long
Like a giant family tree.

There have been many Thomases, Matthews and Bens
Amongst our boarders here.
(And I’ve tried to memorise all their names
At least by the end of their first year).

I often wonder what they will do with life
Who they will meet? And where they will roam?
What the future will have in store for them
When they have finally grown?

Until then, we’ll just keep feeding them,
Baking the muffins and roasting the lamb,
Filling croissants, buttering bread,
Grilling pizzas, with cheese and ham.

Cate Sutherland, Thomas House, March 2009 newsletter

Reading material

     The Rectorials

Timaru Herald, 4 June 1904, Page 2
Some amusement was created at the football tournament at Temuka yesterday over the match Timaru A. III v. Timaru B. III, through the chosen referee - declining to act on the ground that he did not know the men. Both teams were playing in the same colours, and it would, therefore, have been a hard matter for a stranger to tell one man from another. The difficulty was got over by appointing a referee who knew all the youths from boyhood up.

George Hogben, M.A.
He wrote at least nineteen books on the theory of earthquakes in NZ and education.

Timaru Herald, 23 December 1898, Page 3 Timaru HIGH SCHOOLS.
The breaking-up ceremonies of the Timaru High Schools took place in St. Mary's Schoolroom last evening. Mr Hogben, Principal of the Boys' School, then made his report and remarks upon it, The boys' school suffered in several ways during the first term by having to occupy temporary premises. Practical work in science, for instance, had to be suspended. Now however, they had one of the best equipped school laboratories in the colony, and they had also in Mr M.H. Brown, one of the best science teachers in the colony. Referring to the new scheme of exhibitions, Mr Hogben regretted that it entailed an additional examination, and there were far too many. During the closing term there were no leas than six examinations, for which some of the pupils were preparing, and knowing how much often depends upon the results of an examination, a conscientious master, desiring the material good of his pupils, could not but be influenced by such a fact, and his attention and efforts were liable to be called off from the larger body of pupils who were not preparing for outside examinations, and from higher aims, that concern the real training of future men and citizens. As a high educational authority had said, Examinations are not education at all they are merely tickling the face of education with a pen." Mr Hogben spoke in favour of the system of the best, schools of England, Germany and America, which have only one examination per annum for all purposes. He next referred to the boys' games and sports, and urged parents to encourage their boys to take part in the school games, for their beneficial effect upon the indoor work. He then read the list of university successes of former pupils, and drew a lesson of encouragement for the slower boys from the success of a former pupil who did not shine in the school, but who was now making his mark at the Otago University. He made an earnest appeal to the boys who had failed to gain prizes to value the benefits of school discipline. Their real education must rest with themselves at the most their teachers could only show them how to set about educating themselves. And his desire was to see them learn how to be true and pure-minded men.

Timaru Herald
, 6 March 1899, Page 2
The Scotsman of January 16th contains a commendatory notice of Mr George Hogben's school book, on the natural method of teaching French, which is being published by T. Nelson and Sons, Edinburgh.

Timaru Herald, 4 October 1898, Page 2 [Mr Hogben taught Geography and French]
A meeting of the South Canterbury Educational Institute was held on Saturday afternoon, when there were about 25 members present. The meeting was presided over by Mr Greaves. Mr G. Hogben, M.A., then gave a very interesting talk about earthquakes. After explaining briefly the principal, phenomena connected with earthquakes and the chief technical terms used in describing them, Mr Hogben went on to show the methods employed in "earthquake hunting," that is, finding out as nearly as possible the exact origin of any particular earthquake. He then dealt more particularly with the earthquakes of New Zealand, and finally explained what were now considered by modern scientists to be the causes of earthquakes. Mr Hogben spared no pains in making his address clear by means of diagrams and illustrations, most of which were from the results of his own original research. One of these was especially interesting. It was a map of New Zealand drawn by Mr Hogben, and showing the parts in which earthquakes have been most frequent since any observations have been made, and must have entailed a tremendous amount of labour.

 New Zealand Herald 27 April 1920 Page 7 MR. G. HOGBEN.
WELLINGTON. Monday. Mr. George Hogben, ex-Director of Education, died this morning at the age of 66. He had been ill for some time. Mr. Hogben, who was born in London, was a son of the Rev. George Hogben, a Congregational minister. He graduated B.A. and M.A. at Cambridge, where he had a brilliant career. He was selected, by commissioners in England as mathematical and science master in the Christchurch Boys' High School, when the school was founded in 1881. He held that post until 1886, in which year he was made inspector of schools in North Canterbury under the North Canterbury Education Board. In 1889 he was appointed headmaster of the Timaru High School. He had control of that school until 1899, when he was appointed Inspector-General of Schools. This position Mr. Hogben resigned at the end of 1914. Mr. Hogben was an authority on earthquakes, on which he wrote over 100 papers.

The Timaruvian: magazine of the Timaru Boys' High School [and its old boys' association].
Timaru Boys' High School school yearbook first produced in 1906. 2005 and 1st 2006 issues cover previous year, 2nd 2006 issue, and subsequent issues, cover year designated. Holdings:

TBHS Memorial Library have available for research are all copies of the Old Boys magazine Timaruvian. Reference Aoraki Stack
Ashburton DFHG 1936, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1958, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1982, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 & 2011.
The South Canterbury Museum has many issues.
Timaru District Libraries: 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
ATL 1961-
National Library of NZ, Wellington, NZ Pacific Serials Collection 1966-1967, 1969-1970, 1973, 1976-1977, 2005-
Hocken Library - 1909
NZSG 2007 2009
South Canterbury Museum 2013
Trade-me
Old Boys

  1930, soft cover, 100 pages. 1933  1951 2002 2012 contents 1980 2008 1880 -1980 2011 2011 contents
Portrait in 1931 issue of old boy W A Strang, Captain of All Blacks.

2008 montage. Just above the word Thomas to the right of the bell there is a yellow smudge hiding the corner of Thomas House, The Rectory, with boys walking towards the school. That is the corner of the building where the wreck bell hung in the 1940s. Can't place the bell although I was there in 1943. It seems to have the word "Vigorolls" which is a real puzzle to me, wrote JS. The view of the Rectory with grass in front also shows the original main building in the right hand corner of the illustration. That is the building that has been demolished and replaced with what is now called The Tait Building. The photo was either taken in the 1930s or after WW11 as where there is grass in the foreground is where the air-raid shelters were during the war.

1971 Timaruvian Magazine of Timaru BHS and its Old Boys Association. 136 pages. Has the usual coverage of school and Old Boy activities. Several pages of local ads.

Timaru Herald, 24 August 1910, Page 5
The term Magazine of the Timaru Boys' High School is now being distributed. Externally it has been much improved in appearance by the adoption of a new design for title cover and a new title — "The Timaruvian." The decorations are a good photograph of the front of the school (from the girls' ground!) and the school "arms." The magazine has quite a company of editors, and as they publish (and gave a prize for) some fault finding with their past work, this, may he taken as an indication of a determination to do better in the selection of material, and there are proofs of it in this number. Among the new lines of material is a first instalment of notes by Mr Johnson, on his recent trip to America.  

Timaru Herald, 3 January 1914, Page 8
"The Timaruvian," the magazine of the Timaru Boys' High School for 1913. is to hand. It is well got up, and though largely devoted, as such magazines usually are, to records of school games, it contains a good deal of matter hat should interest the general reader. The editorial (by "J.P.S.") treats of a few aspects of school work. The writer says "As pupils we feel highly grateful with the orderly work which has proved eminently satisfactory in school and out," and special mention in this regard is made of "the excellent work done by the agricultural class." He says "the schoolboy crime of slacking is virtually unknown," and in regard to sport the motto has been, "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing well." The social side had not been neglected, and numerous socials and concerts had "done much to bring on a state of cameraderie and good feeling among us all."  


1917 Timaruvian Captain N. Marchant (Died of wounds) Lieutenant A.C. Guinness (KIA) Private L. Hight (KIA)

Otago Daily Times 10 April 1920, Page 8
A meeting of ex-pupils of the Timaru High School was held at the Y.M.C.A. rooms last night, for the purpose of forming a branch in Dunedin of the school Old Boys' Association. Lieutenant-colonel Gabites occupied the chair, and there was a good attendance. On the motion of Mr W.C. Aitcheson, seconded by Mr J. M. Little, it was resolved to form a branch of the Old Boys' Association in Dunedin, and it was further decided that the subscription be fixed at 2s 6d per annum. A suggestion was made that any surplus funds, after paying incidental expenses, be handed over to the school library, and this appeared to meet with general approval. It was left in the hands of the committee to fix the dates of the annual meeting and annual reunion, but those present were evidently in favour of the reunion being held at the end of the year, when old boys in Dunedin would have renewed each, other's acquaintance, and the annual meeting at the beginning of the year, so that pupils who have just left school might be enrolled before memories of the school were dulled. The name of Lieutenant-colonel Gabites was submitted for the office of president, but that gentleman announced that he would be leaving Dunedin shortly, and the election of president and vice-president was left in the hands of the committee. Mr C. L Gillies was elected secretary and treasurer and correspondent for the school journal (the Timaruvian), and Messrs J. K. McCahan, G. Stewart, W. E. J. M. Little, and A. T. Buxton were chosen as the first committee. The names of a number of old boys were banded in as prospective members. A  discussion took place with reference to the war memorial fund, and it, was decided to ask members to actively endeavour to augment the fund.


1880 -1930 etched on the entrance posts, 211 North St. 

Teachers
Nicknames are generally a sign of popularity and some had really good nicknames. School boys often used nicknames and surnames were often dispensed with or were unknown. Nicknames recalled:
A.G. Tait (Foot)
A.H. Meikleham (Mike)
H.B. McClatchy (The Duke) (after Duke Ellington)

The Masters of TBHS in the photo from the Hocken Library. I suspect that this photo was most likely taken prior to the retirement of W. Thomas about 1935 when A.G. Tait became Rector. Steffano Webb, the photographer, was from Christchurch but had a Timaru studio in George St.
Back Row Left to Right
1. N.A. Moore (Buster) Languages & Music an Ex Pupil of School.
2. C.A.S. Hind (Cash) Mathematics
4. ? Murray (Chimp) Science, Cricket
5. W.B. Ledingham (Bull) (The Bull of Mad Jack) Languages, Cadets, 1st Fifteen
7. A.J. Rae (Pop) Art Appreciation & Freehand Drawing.

Middle Row L-R
2. Lady may be Prep. School Mistress.
3. W. Thomas, Rector
4. D.S. Kemshed, (Dogs) 1st Assistant, Languages, Discipline, Music
5. ?Jackson (Jacko) Sciences, Ex Pupil of School, died Southern Alps.

Teachers were the kind that pupils connected with and remembered long after their school years.

Ashburton Guardian, 18 February 1913, Page 2
February 17. The Boys' High School opened in the new building with a considerable increase in the number of pupils, which number 94, of whom 27 are boarders at the Rectory, and all the accommodation provided is now occupied. Owing to the increased roll, the Board to-day appointed a fourth assistant (Mr E. A. Cockroft, of Invercargill). It is intended to specialise in agriculture. Mr J. Tait, first assistant, takes that branch. 

Donald Stuart McFarlane Kemshed married Frances Elizabeth Ronaldson in 1924. They did not have any children. Stuart taught at TBHS for more than 40 years. He moved to Timaru Boys' High in 1915. At the end of 1929 he was appointed first assistant (deputy principal) and remained in that position until his retirement in 1958 (29 years). He was very musical, an inherited ability, from his parents, and grandparents' family in Northampton, England. His obituary is in Timaru Herald, 21 September 1981.

AJHR 1915. TBHS Staff 1914
Messrs William A. Thomas, M.A.: Allan G. Tait, B.A.: W.F.G. Munro, M.A.: Daniel O'Connor, M.A.: E.A. Cockroft, B. Sc.:  C.A.S. Hind (added to  the staff this year): G.O. Chaplin. During the year extensive additions to the Rectory were completed. The extra space to some extent met the increasing demand from pupils who desired to be resident. Swimming baths 75ft long and 25ft wide were built.

Full time staff at TBHS in December 1920
Messers. W. Thomas, M.A.; A.G. Tait, B.A.; E.A. Cockroft, B.A.; D. Kemshed. M.A.; C.A.S. Hind; R.A.G. Sawell; M.A.; W.W. Howell; N. Moore. Lower Department - Misses A. Aimers; P.E. Ronaldson.

No. Pupils in 1928 at Secondary Schools
		TBHS 	TGHS 
1st year 	154 	114
2nd year 	 92 	 86
3rd year 	 72 	 59
4th year 	 46 	 31
5th year 	 22 	 20
6th year 	  7 	  2
Total 		383 	317

Old Boys

TBHS Old Boys' Assoc. Old Boys students 1880s 2008
Carey Adamson - Air Marshall
d. 10 May 2010 aged 76. Attended TBHS 1956-1960.
Sir Basil Arthur MP 1962-1984 & Speaker of the House 1985.
Errol Freeman Brathwaite author. Fear in the Night, 1959. He served in the RNZF as an air gunner in Venturas in the Pacific in the latter part of WW II.  We'll Be Home For Christmas, 1994, from his diaries. Attended TBHS.
T.D. Burnett, MP
Michael Houstoun, Pianist
Frank Kitts, MP, Wellington Mayor
D. Lindsay: David Frederick Lindsay the All Black and David Philip Lindsay, the school's first Olympian. Both represented New Zealand in 1928, one in rugby and the other in swimming. Lindsay the All Black had two schoolmates, Archie Strang and Ron Stuart, in the touring team to South Africa.
Jack Lovelock athlete
Sir Roy Allan McKenzie, ONZ, KBE (7 November 1922 – 1 September 2007) businessman & philanthropist
John Duncan McLeod - WWI diarist
Cecil Malthus - WW1 letter writer
Dr B W T Ritchie anaestheology
Isaac Beattie Ross b. 1984, former rugby player
Bruce Scott  Walter James Scott 
Dr. Ritchie Simmers s/o George Simmers Rector 1899-1912
Jim Sutton MP boarder 1957 -61. Dux.
A.G. Tait's son Admiral Sir Gordon Tait, RN. The Rector, Allan Tait, lived in a house adjacent to the Memorial Library not in the Rectory which had a live-in housemaster.
Richard "Dick" Tayler, MNZM (b. 12 Aug. 1948) won the 10,000 metres at the 1974 Commonwealth Games in Christchurch in a time of 27:46.4 min.
Henry Rodolph Wigley
John Wilkie
Dr. Harold Williams - linguist

David Powell LINDSAY: Educated at the Timaru Boys’ High School. He became a full-time student at Canterbury University College, graduating Bachelor of Arts in 1933. Subsequently he entered the teaching profession. He took his Master of Arts degree in 1936. On the outbreak of war, he was a teacher at the Dannevirke High School. After three years' home service in, the Army, he went, overseas, joining the Middle East Forces. During his secondary school career, he achieved considerable success as a runner, a boxer, and, especially, in swimming. In 1928 he was chosen to represent the Dominion at the Olympic Games, held in Amsterdam. At that time, he won the English mile championship, and was also the holder of several New Zealand, swimming championships. Lieutenant Lindsay is survived by his widow, who lives at Gisborne, and two children.

 Running. We were always aware of that heritage with the Lovelock oak in the school grounds. We used to chase Dick Tayler around the block every morning. Every morning at school we had to get up at 7.00am and run this block and our aim always was to get as close to Dick as we could. He was good even then. PW.

Timaru Herald, 23 July 1908, Page 4
GILLINGHAM. On July 21st, at Lambrook, Frank Fairlie, third son of F. K Gillingham, in his 17th year after a brief illness.

Ashburton Guardian,
24 July 1908, Page 3
The football match Timaru High School v. Ashburton High School was not played yesterday, it having been postponed on account of the death of Frank F. Gillingham, a pupil of the Timaru school. 

Timaru Herald, 19 March 1919, Page 5 Mr G. Squire, Junr.
Mr G. Squire, of Fairview; has just received word or the death, in Berlin, on December 28, of his eldest son George, from influenza. The deceased leaves a widow and three children. He was educated at the Timaru Boys' High School, and as a lad showed great promise, particularly in electrical engineering, which profession he took up as his life's work. He was in Germany when the war broke out and was interned in the Ruhleben concentration camp, where he was entrusted with the electric lighting arrangements of the camp which attained, as the war went on, the dimensions of a city. Mr Squire had made considerable advancement in his profession, and his untimely death will he sincerely regretted by a large circle of friends.

New Zealand Herald, 15 August 1932, Page 8
Timaru, Saturday James Taylor, aged 18 years, while playing football at the Timaru High School to-day suddenly collapsed and died.

Vernon Patrick "Pat" Boot (22 October 1914 – 5 January 1947) was a NZ middle distance runner who represented NZ at the 1936 Summer Olympics at Berlin. In World War II he was commissioned in the New Zealand Army and served overseas in the Middle East. He was an instructor in agriculture at Gisborne when he died aged 32 when under anaesthesia for dental treatment.

April 15, 1942. NZ Free Lance. pg37 NZEF athletes versus Hellenic Club
The keenly awaited contest between the 2nd NZEF and Greek athletes at the Hellenic Athletic Club's stadium at Alexandria provided the fine sport which was expected as well as shocks for followers of form. The eclipse of Pat Booth in the half mile by the Otago runner George Davie was one of the highlights of the programme, the race being better than the time indicated. Boot has put on a great deal of "condition" in the past 12 months and the British Empire champion was not prepared for a stiff race. Boot set a very slow pace for the first quarter, hoping for a sprint home, but Davie summed up the position smartly and took over from Pat when beginning the second lap. Boot was beaten a furlong from home, Davie shaking off his challenge as they straightened up, and winning comfortably by 15 yards.

Maze March. This was an annual event and required considerable rehearsal to get it right on the day. The photo is looking down from the upper balcony of the open air block from the position that 'Bull' Ledingham would have controlled the rehearsal, calling out by name the boys that were out of line or order. There are about 377 boys in the photo. To the left front is the Brass Band (about 36) and behind them the Pipe and Drum band formed in 1942 & 43, strong the rest of the school are assembled in what looks like sets of 3. The trenches were in fact our Air Raid shelters, the Brown Owl could be a nick-name for the open-air dormitories but not actually showing in this clip. There is a fence around the cricket pitch on the far left which indicates that the photo was taken in early summer one afternoon.

An annual cross country race was held in the early spring and the course was over the quarry area on the western side of Otipua Road. The school also had several playing fields there. Now called the Centennial Park.

Hostel upgrade in March 2019.
New rector in 2019.

South Canterbury NZGenWeb Project