State Resources, Westchester NYGenWeb
Westchester County, NY
Some State Resources
This page was last updated: Thursday, 05-Apr-2012 09:37:44 MDT
Here are some web sites devoted exclusively to New York State Genealogical Resources:
- 122 East 58th Street, Suite 303, New York, NY 10022-1939
- Phone: 212-753-8532
- The web site of the New York G&B can be found at: http://www.newyorkfamilyhistory.org/.
- Membership is $50 per year, for which you receive: The Record, a quarterly publication; The NYG&B Newsletter, also published quarterly; and full access to their Library which houses over 100,000 books, periodicals, manuscripts and microforms.
- SOME HOLDINGS of the NYG&B:
- Besides microfilms of both Federal and State Census records, the NYG&B holds microfilms for Westchester for Will Libers (1788-1811); Letters of Administration (1787-1825); Index to Wills (1788-1896); Index to Administrations (1788-1896); Deeds (1774-1817); and Mortgages (1773-1798).
The New-York Historical Society
The New-York Historical Society, which is located in New York City (Manhattan), specializes in history of both the city and state of New York. Some items in the Society's manuscript collection which relate to Westchester Country are:
- Account Books:
- Henry Brandow, hardware, Morrisania, N.Y., 1852-1859. 3 vols.
- Samuel B. Ferris, Westchester co., N.Y., 1831-1859. 2 vols.
- James Rusk, schoolmaster, Westchester Co., N.Y., 1846-1854.
- Van Cortlandt Family, 1695-1701.
- Westchester Turnpike Company, N.Y., 1800-1828. 3 vols.
- Bedford, Westchester Co., N.Y. Local papers, 1722-1754. 1 folder
- De Lancey Family, New York. Family papers, 1647-1804. Deeds, 1731-1784. 2 vols. and 1 folder.
- Fordham Hotel, Fordham, N.Y. Cash book, 1874-1877. 1 vol.
- Greenburgh, Westchester Co., N.Y. Presbyterian Church minutes, and baptisms, 1825-1850. 1 vol.
- Horsmanden, Daniel, Chief Justice of the Province of New York. Papers relating to the colonial history of New York State, to the John Peter Zenger case, and to Indian affairs, 1714-1747. 2 vols.
- Minutes of the Committee and First Commission for Detecting Conspiracies in the State of New York, Dec. 1776-Sept. 1778 (printed in The New-York Historical Society Collections, 1924, 1925).
- Abstract of sales of forfeited lands in New York City and vicinity, 1784-1787, by the Commissioners of Forfeiture of the Southern District. 1 box of miscellaneous papers relating to forfeited estates in New York, 1784-1790.
- MacDonald, John M., Historian, Westchester Co., N.Y. Books of notes about Westchester county during the Revolutionary War, and manuscripts of papers read before the New-York Historical Society. 1 box. The "McDonald Papers" are printed in the Westchester Historical Society Publications, IV, V.
- Morris, Family, Morrisania, N.Y. Land papers, 18th century. Letters, early 19th century. 1 box
- Morrisania, New York City. Dockets of the Justices of Peace, 1846-1862, 1867-1874. Minutes of the Monitor Engine Co. No. 2 of East Morrisania, 1862-1870. 8 vols.
- New Rochelle, N.Y. Register of the Huguenot French Church, 1691-1719; 1757-1764. 2 vols. Marriages and baptisms for 1703-1712 are printed in The New-York Historical Society Quarterly Bulletin, I, 77ff.
- New York State Boundary Papers: Connecticut and New York boundary papers relating to the Oblong and Equivalent Lands during the years 1644-1733. 2 packages.
- Orderly Books
- June 19-Aug. 31, 1778, Penn., Monmouth N.J., White Plains
- July 22-Oct. 31, 1778, White Plains and Fredericksburg, N.Y.
- July 23-Dec. 31, 1778, White Plains and Pluckermin.
- Aug. 15-Nov. 7, 1778, White Plains and New Milford
- Aug. 24-Sept. 13, 1778, White Plains
- Sept. 26, 1778-May 30, 1779, Fredericksburg and Pluckemin. 3 vols.
- Oct. 24, 1778-March 1, 1779, Highlands and Pluckermin
- Oct. 31, 1778-April 29, 1779, Peekskil
- Jan. 15-Feb. 28, 1779, White Plains.
- May 5-June 21, 1779, Peekskill and West Point; June 26-Sept. 17, 1781, West Point.
- June 14-Sept. 3, 1780, Short Hills, Peekskill.
- July 31, Aug. 1, 2, 1781, Westchester co.
- Aug. 15-Oct. 15, 1781, Dobbs Ferry and Connecticut Farms.
- Sept. 26-Oct. 30, 1781, Yorktown.
- Oct. 7-30, 1781, Yorktown.
- Sept. 1-Nov. 2, 1782, West Point and Verplanck's Point
- Sept. 6-Nov. 19, 1782, Verplanck's Point and West Point.
- Phillipsburgh, Westchester Co., N.Y. Town book of the Manor of Phillipsburgh, containing lists of estrays 1745-1766, and list of officers, 1753-1763. 1 vol.
- Pitcher, James, New Rochelle, N.Y., Ledger, 1766-1782, containing accounts, household and farm information; list of inhabitants of New Rochelle, 1771; rates of New Rochelle, 1767. 1 vol.
- Rye, New York. First book of minutes of the parish of Rye, N.Y. 1710-1795.
- Tompkins, Daniel D., Governor of New York. 14 letters, 1792-1823.
- Van Cortland, Philip, New York. Letter book, probably belonging to Philip Van Cortland, 1713-1722.
- Van Cortland, Philip and Stephen, New York. 3 memorandum books concerning the settlement of the estate of Philip and Stephen Van Cortland, 1760.
- Van Cortlandt Family, New York City. Ledger, 1695-1701.
- West Chester Town, Westchester Co., N.Y. Assessment roll, 1891. 1 vol.
- West Farms. Assessment roll, 1855. 1 vol.
- Westchester County, N.Y. 8 vols. and 1 box.
- Town meeting records of the borough town of Westchester, 1665-1672, 1674, 1680, 1691.
- Minutes of the Mayor's Court, borough town of Westchester, 1657-1678, 1696-1706, 1616/7-1717, 1728-1734, 1734-1744/5, 1746-1774.
- Minutes of the Court of Sessions, 1691-1696.
- Docket of writs issued by Basil Bartow, recorder, 1746-1762, 1765-1776.
- Miscellaneous papers, 18th-19th centuries.
- Docket of Judge Augustus Hustace, Justice of the Peace, 1840-1853.
- Westchester Turnpike Company, N.Y.
- Accounts of the company with Matson Smith, 1814-1828.
- Accounts of the Treasurer, Peter Jay Monro, 1800-1805.
The above named manuscript items were listed in a publication entitled "Survey of The Manuscript Collection of The New-York Historical Society", published by the Society in 1941.
- 3309 Bainbridge Avenue, Bronx, NY 10467
- Phone: 718-881-8900
Membership includes subscriptions to The Bronx County Historical Journal, published semi-annually, and The Bronx Historian Newsletter. There is a variety of membership categories, each having a different fee. Two categories are individual for $20 and Senior Citizen for $15. Write the Society for details of other categories. The Society also has a large selection of publications for purchase. Ask for their brochure which gives details of available publications and their respective pricings.
Museum of Migrating People
- 750 Baychester Avenue, Bronx, NY 10475
- Phone: 718-379-1600
This site honors the 1600s Colonial Ancestors.
Return to Westchester County's Town Index page.
Return to the main page for Westchester County at NYGenWeb.
Return to the NYGenWeb web site.
© 1996-2004 Cathy Horn. All rights reserved.NYGENWEB's Westchester County URL: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~nywestch/
This web site was designed by and has been exclusively maintained since November 1996 by Cathy Horn.