NYGenWeb West. Cty: 1899 Register Empire State Soc., SAR
Westchester County, NY
The 1899 Membership Register
for The Empire State Society, S.A.R.
Roll of Members — H
This page was last updated: Thursday, 05-Apr-2012 09:50:26 MDT
Membership in the Society of the Sons of the American Revolution is based solely on lineal descent from an ancestor who assisted in securing the Independence of the United States, and wherever the Revolutionary services of collateral members of a family are given in the following pages, they are mentioned only as matter of interest, as are many other facts which in themselves constitute no ground for eligibility. Antecedent generations in the Revolutionary line, back to the immigrant ancestor, are given when they are on record in the Society's archives, as adding value to the book, but the absence of such antecedent lineage in other cases does not necessarily mean that the families can be traced no further, as the Society does not require that the line shall be given further back than the Revolutionary patriot. Every member has been requested to supply for this book his college degrees, military services, public offices and the other organizations to which he belongs, but where such data are lacking, allowance should be made in some instances for the inaccessibility of many members on account of the War with Spain, and in others for the fact that the sending of such information was entirely optional. In order to assist the eye, an index figure has been substituted for a repetition of the world "great" in generations more remote than great-grandson. Thus, "great²-grandson" means "great-great-grandson"; "great5-grandson" means "great-great-great-great-great-grandson," etc. The names of the lineal ancestors who participated in the Revolution are printed in italics, and refer to the corresponding names in the "Roll of Ancestors." The numbers set opposite each member's name are his State and National Numbers respectively.
[Web Editor's Note: Besides showing the Ancestor's name in italics, I've linked the name to that on the corresponding page showing the Ancestor's name and information.]
- JOHN MORTON HALSTEAD [State: 638; National: 7138] New York Ciyt
- Buildin materials. Born, Brooklyn, N.Y., Aug. 15, 1871. member of Brooklyn Institute of Arts and Sciences, and Irving Club. Son of Charles Halstead and Catherine Teed Morton; grandson of John Morton and Adeline Eliza Clark; great-grandson of Garrett Dyckman Clark and Aletta Owens; gtª-grandson of Solomon Owens and Nancy Vermilyea, and of John Clark and Maria Dyckman.
- RUSSELL HEADLEY [State: 695; National: 7195] Newburgh, N.Y.
- Lawyer. Born, Stockbridge, Mass., Sept. 27, 1852. Degree of B.S. from Cornell University, 1872. Formerly Captain in 17th Battalion, N.G.N.Y. Corporation Counsel of Newburgh, 1880-16; District Attorney of Orange County, 1885-91; Trustee of Washington's Headquarters at present. Member of Manhattan Club of New York, City Club, and Powelton Club of Newburgh, and the Historical Society of Newburgh Bay and the Highlands. Son of Joel T. Headley and Anna Allston Russell; grandson of Isaac Headley and Eirene Benedict, and of William W. Russell and Luch Channing; great-grandson of Abner Benedict and Lois Northrup, and of Wm. Channing and Luch Ellery; gt²-grandson of Wm. Ellery and Ann Remington.
- JOHN ROGERS HEGEMAN, Jr., [State: 527; National: 5327] Mamaroneck, NY
- Life Insurance. Born, Brooklyn, N. Y., Aug. 10, 1872. Corporal in Co. E, 7th Regt. N.G.N.Y. Member of New York Athletic Club, New York Yacht Club, Manhattan Harbor No. I, and Military Club. Son of John Rogers Hegeman and Evelyn Lyon; grandson of John G. Hegeman and Charlotte Owen Rogers; great-grandson of William Rogers and Polly Chapman; gt²-grandson of James Chapman, 3d, and and Mary Holt; gt³-grandson of James Chapman, Jr., and Sarah Birch; gt4-grandson of James Chapman and Mary Wyatt.
- ALVAH SABIN HOBART, [State: 672; National: 7172] Yonkers, N.Y.
- Clergyman. Born, Whitney, P.Q., March 7, 1847. Degrees of A.B. and A.M. from Colgate University and D.D. from Denison University. Was a private in Volunteer Militia of Vermont during Civil War. Member of Delta Upsilon Fraternity and Yonkers Historical Society. Son of Charles Hobart and Pathenia Sabin; grandson of Jonas Hobart and Sarah Faxon; great-grandson of Solomon Hobart and Abigail Brooks, and of Francis Faxon; gt²-grandson of Shebuel Hobart, Jr., and Esther Parker; gt³-grandson of Shebuel Hobart, Sr., and Martha Prescott; gt4-grandson of Rev. Gershom Hobart; gt5-grandson of Rev. Peter Hobart; gt6-grandson of Edmund Hobart, who came from England to Massachusetts in 1633, and who was descended from William Conqueror.
- PIERRE VAN BUREN HOES [State: 897; National: 8797] Yonkers, N.Y.
- Real estate. Born, Kinderhook, N.Y., April 14, 1844. Diploma from New York University. Commissioner for condemnation proceedings by appointment of Supreme Court. Member of Holland Society and Yonkers Historical Society. Son of Peter Swart Hoes and Henrietta Myers; grandson of Major Mordecai Myers, U.S.A., and Charlotte Bailey; great-grandson of Judge William Bailey and Hannah Hegeman; gt²-grandson of Col. John Bailey and Altie Van Wyck; gt³-grandson of John Bailey and Mary Ter Bush.
- STEPHEN D. HORTON [State: 123; National: 10934] Peekskill, N.Y.
- Stove-lining manufacturer. Born, Peekskill, N.Y., Feb. 17, 1837. Son of Frost Horton and Phebe Tompkins; grandson of Wright Horton and Ann Qureau; great-grandson of Stephen Horton and Elizabeth Frost.
- VIRGIL PETTIBONE HUMASON [State: 953; National: 6153] Yonkers, N.Y.
- Treasurer, etc. Born, Simsbury, Conn., Feb. 14, 1847. Degree of LL.B. from the University of the City of New York. Member of the Society of Colonial Wars, St. Andrew's Golf Club, Amakassin Club, etc. Son of Wm. L. Humason and Eunetia Eno; grandson of Jonathan ENo and Orpha Adams; great-grandson of Abel Adams and Rosèné Cossett, etc. For continuation, see Adams line under Louis H. Cornish.
Return to the Empire State Society, SAR page for Westchester County at NYGenWeb.
Return to the main page for Westchester County at NYGenWeb.
Return to the NYGenWeb web site.
Copyright © 1996-2012 Cathy Horn. All rights reserved.NYGENWEB's Westchester County URL: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~nywestch/
This web site was designed by and has been exclusively maintained since November 1996 by Cathy Horn.