NYGenWeb West. Cty: 1899 Register Empire State Soc., SAR
Westchester County, NY
The 1899 Membership Register
for The Empire State Society, S.A.R.
Roll of Members — B
This page was last updated: Thursday, 11-Oct-2012 13:00:39 MDT
Membership in the Society of the Sons of the American Revolution is based solely on lineal descent from an ancestor who assisted in securing the Independence of the United States, and wherever the Revolutionary services of collateral members of a family are given in the following pages, they are mentioned only as matter of interest, as are many other facts which in themselves constitute no ground for eligibility. Antecedent generations in the Revolutionary line, back to the immigrant ancestor, are given when they are on record in the Society's archives, as adding value to the book, but the absence of such antecedent lineage in other cases does not necessarily mean that the families can be traced no further, as the Society does not require that the line shall be given further back than the Revolutionary patriot. Every member has been requested to supply for this book his college degrees, military services, public offices and the other organizations to which he belongs, but where such data are lacking, allowance should be made in some instances for the inaccessibility of many members on account of the War with Spain, and in others for the fact that the sending of such information was entirely optional. In order to assist the eye, an index figure has been substituted for a repetition of the world "great" in generations more remote than great-grandson. Thus, "great²-grandson" means "great-great-grandson"; "great5-grandson" means "great-great-great-great-great-grandson," etc. The names of the lineal ancestors who participated in the Revolution are printed in italics, and refer to the corresponding names in the "Roll of Ancestors." The numbers set opposite each member's name are his State and National Numbers respectively.
[Web Editor's Note: Besides showing the Ancestor's name in italics, I've linked the name to that on the corresponding page showing the Ancestor's name and information.]
- CHARLES E. BACK [State: 840; National: 8740] Yonkers, N. Y.
- Fire Insurance. Born, Yonkers, N. Y., April 3, 1852. Son of Frederick A. Back and Rebecca J. Brown, his wife; grandson of Gerard Brown and Jane Oakley; great-grandson of James Oakley and Anley, his wife.
- WILLIAM DELEVAN BALDWIN [State: 1077; National: 9877] Yonkers, N. Y.
- Manufacturer. Born, Auburn, N.Y., Sept. 5, 1856. Son of Lovewell Hurd Baldwin and Sarah Jane Munson; grandson of Oscar Demetrius Munson and Sarah Latin Bennet; great-grandson of Anson Munson and Czarina S. Sexton; gt2-grandson of George Sexton and Lois Bostwick.
- WILLIAM HENRY BALDWIN [State: 605; National: 7105] Yonkers, N. Y.
- Civil Engineer. Born, Nashua, N. H., March 10, 1842. Son of David Baldwin and Amanda M. Hobbs; grandson of Isaac Baldin and Hannah Caldwell; great-grandson of Isaac Baldwin, Sr., and Eunice Jennison; . . . gt5-grandson of Henry Baldwin, who came from Devonshire, Eng., at the time of the Winthrop emigration.
- Le DROICT LANGDON BARBER [State: 648; National: 7148] Ardsley, N. Y.
- Born, Washington, D. C., May 29, 1873. Member of Society of Colonial Wars, New York Yacht Club and Ardsley Club. Son of Amzi Lorenzo Barber and Julia Louise Langdon; grandson of John LeDroict Langdon and Jerusha Stillman; great-grandson of Andrew Langdon and Emma King; gt2-grandson of John Langdon and Lucy Morehouse; gt3-grandson of Andrew Morehouse and Phoebe Hurd.
- ETHELBERT BELKNAP [State: 1045; National: 9570] Yonkers, N. Y.
- Hat manufacturer. Born, Yonkers, N. Y., March 8, 1843. Formerly 2d Lieutenant, Co. H, 3d Regt. N. G. N. Y. Trustee and Vice-President of Board of Education. Member of Westchester Historical Society, City Club, Palisade Boat Club, F. & A. M. Lodge and Commandery. Son of Chas. F. Belknap and Abagail J. Odell; grandson of Chas. Belknap and Rachel, his wife; great-grandson of Samuel Belknap and Abagail Flagg; gt2-grandson of Samuel Belknap; Sr., and Lydia Stearns; gt3-grandson of Thomas Belknap and Jane Cheney; gt4-grandson of Joseph Belknap
- WARD BELKNAP [State: 465; National: 4565] New York City
- Real estate broker. Born, Newburgh, N.Y., April 19, 1858. Member of Hudson River Lodge, 607, F.&A.M., Highland Chapter, 52, and Hudson River Consistory, 35. Son of John L. Belknap and Elizabeth Telford; grandson of Stephen Belknap and Elizabeth Payne Carpenter; great-grandson of William Belknap and Martha Carscadden; gt²-grandson of William Belknap, Sr., and Hannah Flagg; gt³-grandson of Samuel Belknap and Lydia Stearns; gt4-grandson of Thomas Belknap and Jane Cheney.
- WILLIAM WARREN BLIVEN [State: 1171; National: 10646] New York
- Lawyer. Born, Yonkers, N.Y., July 31, 1856. Degrees of A.B. and LL. B. from Columbia University and Law School. Member of Society of Colonial Wars and Columbia Alumni Association. Son of Charles Bliven and Louisa Morison; grandson of Joshua Bliven and Esther Baker; great-grandson of Arnold Bliven and Mary Wilcox; gt2-grandson of Edward Bliven, 3d, and Ann Ross; gt3-grandson of Edward Bliven, 2d, and Freelove Barker; gt4-grandson of Edward Bliven, 1st, and Isabel Maccons.
- FRANK DICKINSON BLODGETT [State: 1043; National: 9568] Oneonta, N. Y.
- Teacher. Born, Cortland, N.Y., March 29, 1871. Degrees of A.B. and A.M. from Amherst College. Member of Delta Kappa Epsilon Fraternity. Son of Alonzo Dwight Blodgett and Eleanor Dickinson; grandson of Franklin Benjamin Blodgett and Achsah Dewey, great-grandson of Nathan Blodgett and Abigail Bliss.
- GEORGE SULLIVAN BOWDOIN [State: 4; National: 4004] New York City
- Banker. Born, New York, Sept. 25, 1833. Member of Metropolitan, City, Union, Union League, Knickerbocker, Century, Players, Tuxedo, and New York Yacht Clubs, New England Society, American Fine Arts Society, Metropolitan Museum of Arts, American Museum of Natural History and the Patriarchs. Son of George R.J. Bowdoin and Fanny Hamilton; grandson of James A. Hamilton and Mary Morris; great-grandson of Alexander Hamilton and Eliza Schuyler.
- TEMPLE BOWDOIN [State: 52; National: 4052] New York City
- Banker. Born, in Wolfert's Dell, Irvington, N.Y., July 24, 1863. Member of Metropolitan and University Clubs, New England Society, Columbia Alumni, and New York Yacht Club. Son of George Sullivan Bowdoin (see above entry) and Julia Irving Grinnell; grandson of George R.J. Bowdoin and Fanny Hamilton; great-grandson of James A. Hamilton and Mary Morris; gt2-grandson of Alexander Hamilton and Eliza Schuyler.
- EDWARD FITCH BULLARD [State: 1224; National: 10924] New York City
- Lawyer. Born, Schuylerville, N.Y., Feb. 7, 1821. Appointed Master and Examiner in Chancery by Gov. Bouck in 1844; elected Brigadier-General of the Saratoga County Brigade in 1845; was one of the organizers of the American Bar Association in 1878. Son of Alpheus Bullard and Hannah Fitch; grandson of Ebenezer Fitch and Sarah Hobby; great-grandson of Ebenezer Fitch, Sr., and Lydia Mills, and of David Hobby and (wife not given); gt²-grandson of Thomas Fitch, 4th, Governor of Connecticut; gt³-grandson of Thomas Fitch, 3d; gt4-grandson of Thomas Fitch, 2d; gt5-grandson of Thomas Fitch, 1st, who came to America in 1638 and settled in Connecticut.
Return to the Empire State Society, SAR page for Westchester County at NYGenWeb.
Return to the main page for Westchester County at NYGenWeb.
Return to the NYGenWeb web site.
Copyright © 1996-2012 Cathy Horn. All rights reserved.NYGENWEB's Westchester County URL: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~nywestch/
This web site was designed by and has been exclusively maintained since November 1996 by Cathy Horn.