Westchester County resources, NYGenWeb
Westchester County, NY
This page was last updated: Thursday, 05-Apr-2012 09:37:02 MDT
The Guide to Genealogical Research
for Westchester County
Marjorie Renino's The Guide to Genealogical Research for Westchester County [White Plains, NY; c. 1985, revised 2002] is an indispensable book for any researcher of Westchester genealogy and can be found at many libraries. The Guide was been updated in 2002 and copies are available from the Westchester County Historical Society.
You can search most of the town libraries throughout the WLS catalog on the Internet either via the Web. Click on the WLS name above to see their web pages. There you can search for a book or determine the availability of any of the books listed in the attached bibliography. You should also inquire if the library in your home area participates in the Inter-Library Loan program. If it does, you may be able to borrow a book through your local public library.
- 2199 Saw Mill Road, Elmsford, NY 10523
- Phone: Library 914-592-4338 Office: 914-592-4323
- Holdings include: extensive manuscripts giving inventories of many old cemeteries located throughout the County.
- Booklet compiled by Katherine A. Carretta entitled: A Guide to Listings of Old Cemetery Inscriptions and other Genealogical Aids for Westchester County, New York. [West. Cty. Historical Society, 1977]
- Photos of the building
- Westchester County Records Center
- 2199 Saw Mill River Road, Elmsford, NY 10523
- Phone: 914-592-1925
- Photos of the building
- Holdings: Primary records held by the county. Visit their web site for lists and indexes of their holdings. Be sure to check out their web page entitled: Guide to the Collections: Series for Genealogists
- Virtual Archives — this portion of their web site contains images of many original records. Take a look at their site map to see a listing of the various things available.
- 110 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Street
- (formerly Grove Street)
- White Plains, NY 10601
- Phone: 914-285-3080
111 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, 19th Floor,
White Plains, NY 10601
Phone: (914) 824-5656
For the past several years, articles giving an overview of a town or village in Westchester County have been presented in the Society's monthly newsletters. If you are interested in obtaining a copy of a specific "Focus on..." article, they ask that you mail $3.00 along with a Self-Addressed, Stamped Envelope (SASE) to the Westchester County Genealogical Society, PO Box 518, White Plains, NY 10603-0518. Be sure to include in your request the name of the town or village and the date of the issue. The "Focus on..." articles already issued are listed below with the date of issuance shown in brackets.
- Ardsley [January 1997]
- Briarcliff Manor & Scarborough [December 1997]
- Eastchester [November 1998]
- Harrison, West Harrison, & Purchase [October 1997]
- Irvington [April 1999]
- Larchmont [April 1997]
- Mamaroneck [March 1997]
- Mount Kisco [March 1998]
- Mount Pleasant (includes hamlets of Hawthorne, Thornwood, Valhalla, Pocantico Hills, village of Pleasantville, and North Tarrytown) [September 1996]
- New Castle (includes Chappaqua and Millwood) [February 1998]
- North Castle (includes Armonk, Banksville, North White Plains [January 1998]
- Ossining (Sing Sing) [March 1996]
- Pelham [May 1999]
- Peekskill [February 1997]
- Pleasantville [October 1996]; also see Mount Pleasant.
- Port Chester & Rye Brook [November 1997]
- Pound Ridge [March 1999]
- Purchase -- see Harrison
- Rye [May 1996]
- Rye Brook -- see Port Chester
- Scarsdale [October 1998]
- Somers ["Westchester Connections" 1998]
- The Tarrytowns (includes Sleepy Hollow) [April 1996]; also see Mount Pleasant
- White Plains [June 1996]
- Yonkers [February 1999]
- Yorktown [November/December 1996]
- Westchester (town) [date ? ]
For more information about the resources available for each of the many cities, towns, and villages of Westchester County, see the Town pages.
LDS Family History Centers
You can now search the catalogs of the Family History Centers on the Internet at their web site: http://www.familysearch.org/
- Scarsdale Family History Center
- 60 Wayside Way, Scarsdale, NY 10583
- Yorktown Family History Center
- Route 134 East, Yorktown, NY 10598
Some Westchester County Links
- Westchester Visitor Center
- Westchester County Government
- County Chamber of Commerce, Inc
Return to Westchester County's Town Index page.
Return to the main page for Westchester County at NYGenWeb.
Return to the NYGenWeb web site.
Copyright © 1996-2012 Cathy Horn. All rights reserved.NYGENWEB's Westchester County URL: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~nywestch/
This web site was designed by and has been exclusively maintained since November 1996 by Cathy Horn.