Warren County, New York
Genealogy and History

History of Warren County, H. P. Smith
Chapter XXXIII: History of the Town of Warrensburgh

This transcription was produced through the use of Readiris Pro 11 OCR software. Contributed by Tim Varney.


The Page 573town of Warrensburgh lies upon the east bank of the Hudson River, and is formed of a long strip of territory extending north and south. It is bounded on the north by Chester, on the east by Caldwell and Bolton, on the south by Luzerne, and on the west, upon the other side of the Hudson, by Thurman, Stony Creek, and a small part of Saratoga county. The Schroon River, which forms the northeast boundary of the township, flows southerly for some distance and then turning abruptly from a southerly to a westerly course, divides the town into two nearly equal parts, and flows into the Hudson; the Hudson itself, and the numerous small tributary streams which feed these rivers, Page 574 constitute the principal drainage. Along the Hudson and Schroon Rivers the soil is alluvial and sandy, elsewhere it is stony and difficult to cultivate, excepting in small strips consisting of a light loam.

The peninsular portion is a rolling plateau varying in altitude from six hundred to one thousand feet above the river. The southwestern part is occupied by an immense mountain mass, containing several peaks which rise to an elevation of from two thousand four hundred to three thousand feet above tide. It has been estimated that nearly two-thirds of the land is arable.

Warrensburgh was formed from the old town of Thurman, on the 12th day of February, 1813. The territory which it comprises had been partly reclaimed from a savage state for many years, though even in 1813 it might be called a sparsely peopled tract. Indeed, as late as 1836, Gorden's Gazetteer describes the town as being mountainous and wild, covered with woods and abounding with iron ore. (1)

1. No iron has ever been worked in the town.

The earliest settler in the town was William Bond, who moved in 1786 on to a tract of land situated about two miles southwest from the site of the village of Warrensburgh. Bond's Pond was named from him. He had passed away before the present town was formed, of course, and the records have no mention of his name. From an article in the Warrensburgh News, under date of January 15th, 1885, corroborated by living witnesses whose memories reach back nearly to the beginning of the present century, and who are conversant with the traditions of early days, we are able to give a tolerably good account of the early settlers of this interesting region. The immigration of William Bond was quickly followed by the coming of other pioneers who forsook, oftentimes, the more plodding, and less laborious life of New England, for the rough and even perilous struggle for existence in this unpeopled wilderness. In 1787 Joseph Hatch moved on to what is known as the Duncan McDonald farm, now owned by Stephen Griffin, 2d. In the same year Joseph Hutchinson, and Gideon and Stokes Potter came here. Josiah Woodward moved here also in 1787 from Connecticut, and like the others, brought his family with him. They were the seventh family that settled in the section of the country north of the head of Lake George. He lived on the same ground now covered by the new house of John L. Russell. Judge Joseph Woodward, still living, is his grandson, and the son of Isaac Woodward, who was fourteen years of age when he came here with his father in 1787. Aaron Varnum came here in 1788. In 1789 James Pitts built a tavern on the site of the Warren House, and in the same year Timothy Stow moved on to the farm now owned by Samuel Judd. Pelatiah Richards came in 1802. He was born on the 19th Jay of February, 1786, and was a prominent merchant in the village of Warrensburgh for many years. He was town clerk in 1825. and supervisor from \Varrensburgh in 1830, and again in 1838. He died February 11th, 1870.

Page 575

In 1804 James Warren came to Warrensburgh. He was for years proprietor of the tavern kept by John Heffron, and also kept store for a number of years in the building now used for the same purpose by James Herrick. He built and conducted quite an extensive potash factory or "ashery" on the north side of the Schroon River about where Mrs. James Fuller now lives. It was customary in those early days to hold the annual elections at different points in the town for three consecutive days, it being practically impossible to establish any central point which would enable all the voting population of the town to cast their vote and return home on the same day. In 1811 James Warren, while returning from an election held on the farm now owned by Nathaniel Griffing, of Thurman, was drowned by the upsetting of a skiff in the West River. Nelson Warren, then a boy ten years of age, was with his father at the time, and it is said that the excessive fright caused his hair to turn white. Two years after this fatality Warrensburgh was organized, and named after this prominent man. After his decease his personal representatives carried on all the branches of his business for several years.

Soon after James Warren arrived here in 1804, Kitchel Bishop settled on the ground now covered by the dwelling-house of Dr. E. B. Howard. He was a farmer and owned all the land at present owned by Mrs. Minerva King. Judge Bishop represented the county thirteen years in the Legislature. About the year 1810 or 1812 he established a small tannery, the first in the town.

Another early settler of prominence was Dr. McLaren, who must have come here before 1790. He lived and practiced medicine on the site of the present dwelling house of Stephen Griffin, 2d. He married Susan Thurman, daughter of Richardson Thurman. Richardson Thurman was a nephew of John Thurman, the original patentee of all this part of the county and the owner of nearly all of what was known as Hyde Township, including the greater part of all the territory now covered by the towns of Chester, Warrensburgh and Thurman. Dr. McLaren's wife inherited from the Thurman family a lot of 500 acres, called Lot 22 of Hyde Township, running along the west side of the Schroon River in the west part of the village of Warrensburgh. Dr. McLaren died in the first decade of years in the present century.

In the early part of the nineteenth century the population along the rivers and on the more fertile tracts of lands in the surrounding county began perceptibly to increase. Stephen Griffing, who is still alive and of keen and accurate memory, gives an excellent picture of the natural and business condition of the community as early as the period between 1800 and 1810 or 1812. He was born in Duchess county on the 6th of June, 1796, and came here in March, 1800, with his father, Stephen Griffing, sr. who had served in an official capacity for five years in the Revolutionary War and drew a pension for his services. When he first came here he settled where his son, Nathaniel Griffing, now lives, and three miles and a half southwest of the site of the village Page 576 of Warrensburgh. He began at once to clear the land and conduct a farm there. At that time William Hough, a blacksmith, was living on the Chester road, a mile from Warrensburgh. He went away soon after 1820. Myron Beach boarded in the tavern (now the Warren House), and kept a store where James Herrick now does. He afterwards went to Lake George, where his death occurred. He was a brother of Mrs. James Warren (Melinda Warren), and it was not until after Mr. Warren's death that he kept the store as his successor. He was captain of a company of artillery that took part in the battle of Plattsburg. Joseph Harrington, a farmer, lived about a mile south of Warrensburgh. The farm was afterwards divided, and his sons, Israel and Warren, now live on the several halves. James Lucas occupied a farm about four miles up the Schroon River, near where his son now lives. Jonathan Vowers, another farmer, lived near him. Nathan Sheerman, farmer and plow-maker, lived about four miles up the Schroon River from Warrensburgh. He has no descendants now living in town. Abel Matoon ran a farm about a mile north of Sheerman's. David Millington, a farmer also, lived all the Hudson River about three miles westerly from the village. Duncan McDonald worked a farm near Millington. Daniel Geer, a mechanic, lived four miles south of the village. In 1801 Jasper Duell kept a tavern on the site of the Warren House. He was predecessor to James Warren. In the upper part of the present village (proper) of Warrensburgh there was, in 1800, but one building, an old school-house, which stood near where Judge Joseph Woodward's house now stands. Being the only school within a circle of a number of miles, it was well attended. There was no church edifice in town. As is usual in the early history of all the towns in the State, the first religious meetings were held in the school-house. A Methodist Church was organized about here in 1796, and the first pastor was the Rev. Henry Ryan. The first store kept in town was that conducted by James Warren before mentioned. There was no manufacturing done here so early as 1800. The roads through and from Warrensburgh to Lake George, Chester, Bolton and Thurman were then quite traversable.

Among other early settlers were William Lee and William Johnson, the latter being the first white person to die in this town.

Coming down to a period a few years later, we find it expedient and interesting to write something more concerning the Woodward family.

Benjamin Peck Burhans

Benjamin Peck Burhans

Judge Joseph Woodward was born on September 20th, 1804, in this town, about three miles and a half north of his present residence on premises now owned and occupied by his nephew, William F. Woodward. Judge Woodward's father and grandfather have been mentioned in preceding pages. On the 5th day of March, 1828, Joseph Woodward married Julia, daughter of Lucius Gunn, a clothier, whose works were just east of the present tannery. She died in 1832, and in 1836 Judge Woodward married Charlotte, daughter Page 577 of Duncan McDonald. On the 24th of September, 1844, the subject of this sketch moved to his present residence. Judge Woodward has a keen recollection of Warrensburgh as it was when he was a boy, and has given the writer much valuable and interesting information. During the period between 1810 and 1820, lumbering became quite a prominent industry. The surface of this town not only, but of the whole county, and the counties to the north and west, was covered with forests of splendid pine, the demand for which gave a great impetus to the hitherto unaroused activities of the region. At this time and for years before there were a greater number of saw-mills in town than there are at present, though they were usually old-fashioned and small. Every brook large enough to turn a wheel was brought into requisition. Before 1810 Albro Tripp had a mill on a small brook north of the village. Dudley Farlin came soon after the organization of the town, and built the mills now operated by Emerson & Co. He continued proprietor of them until 1834, when he sold out to Nelson Warren. The logs were brought to his mills from all the surrounding country - large quantities floated, as now, down the Schroon River. Up to nearly 1820 Dr. McLaren had a small saw-mill on the north side of the river. Pine logs were then worth twenty-five cents, where now they would bring four or five dollars. In 1821 Joseph Woodward bought of James L. Thurman a saw-mill about four miles north of the village, on a little tributary of the Schroon

The ample water power afforded by the two large rivers and their numerous tributaries occasioned the springing up of a number of mills and factories of various descriptions. Dr. Harmon Hoffman built and owned a grist-mill on the site now occupied by the Burhans Mills. He sold out to Dudley Farlin about 1816, after an explosion of powder had destroyed the store which he kept near the mill. A short distance above this mill were the ruins of a former mill which had been abandoned. Farlin rebuilt the structure which is still used as a grist-mill by the Burhans brothers. These were the only grist-mills in town. Potash was made hereabouts quite extensively. The ashery of James Warren has already been mentioned. Simon Hough ran a small factory north of the village a year or two in the second decade of years.

Even as late as 1810 the farms were all small. Josiah Woodward's clearing was probably the largest one in this part of the county, and it did not comprise an area of more than forty acres. Kitchel Bishop's clearing was nearly as large, and James Warren's was about of equal size with Bishop's.

The only tannery built in early days here was the one owned by Kitchel Bishop about 1810. Its only successor is the extensive tannery owned by the firm known as B. P. Burhans & Son. The schools of this period were a sort of a community school, without much organization. The largest one in town stood where the stone store owned by Lemuel Woodward and the estate of A. G. Woodward now is. In 1811-12 Samuel Lake, of Chestertown, taught Page 578 there. Subsequently Samuel Stevens, who afterwards achieved prominence as a lawyer in Albany, taught this school. It was a framed building. The attendance was usually quite large, numbering often as many as sixty or seventy pupils.

Before 1810 the Methodists had erected a small church edifice on the site of their present church, and worshiped there in goodly numbers. Besides the Rev. Henry Ryan, already mentioned, the Rev. Tobias Spicer was well known here, and indeed, throughout the county. The Presbyterians had a meetinghouse in the present town of Thurman, on the west side of the Hudson River, and a Rev. Whipple, from Chester, preached to them. Many people from Warrensburgh were prominent members of this church. These were the only churches then about here.

After further mention of the earlier settlers of Warrensburgh, we will look a little to the organization of the town.

One of the most prominent of the men still living, whose memory reaches back nearly seventy years, is Stephen Griffin, 2d. (1) He was born on October 18th, 1812, about two miles west of the village of Warrensburgh on the bank of the Hudson River. His father was John Griffing. His mother's maiden name was Catharine J. McEwan. John Griffing came to the town in 1798. He ran the farm summers and "lumbered it" winters. He died in 1827 at the age of forty-seven years. Stephen Griffin, 2d, came from the old homestead in October, 1838, and began keeping the hotel in the village now known as the Adirondack House. After he had bought this property he married, on a Wednesday of this October, Maria Coman, of Luzurne, and on the following Saturday he and his bride began to keep the Adirondack House. Bradford Tubbs had preceded Mr. Griffin as proprietor of this tavern. The latter continued in possession until 1847, when he leased the property to Lewis Person. In 1874 Mr. Griffin was elected Assemblyman from this district. In 1884 he was appointee by Comptroller Chapin State agent for State lands - a position which he still holds.

1. This name is differently by different members of the family, sometimes, Griffing, and again Griffin being preferable.

Among the early settlers whom he remembers are James L. Thurman, a well-to-do farmer who lived in the house now occupied by Samuel Judd. He came from the town of Thurman (or Athol). He has two sons, Samuel and Charles, and one daughter, Mrs. James Woodward, still living in the village of Warrensburgh. John McMillen lived on the road which leads along the west bank of the Schroon River, about one and a half miles from the village. He moved to Thurman about 1820. He was a farmer. A grandson, Wallace McMillen, now resides in North Creek. Joseph Norton, like nearly all the others, a farmer, lived north of Spruce Mountain, on the road to Chester. While living here, in addition to his farm labors, he kept an inn, but about 1820 he moved over to the south of the mountain and devoted himself exclusively to Page 579 farming. He died in Caldwell. Albro Tripp, casually named hereinbefore, was a farmer, and in what was formerly a part of Warrensburgh, on the Chester road, where the mile strip was taken off and added to Chester; he thereupon became perforce an inhabitant of the last named town. None of his descendants now lives here. He was captain of a company of militia, and went to Plattsburg during the war of 1812, but reached there too late to participate in the famous battle at that place.

Samuel Stackhouse, a carpenter and joiner and millwright, lived on the south bank of the Schroon River, on premises now owned by the peg company.

The town was not without its coterie of physicians in those days. Dr. Harmon Hoffman lived in the village in the house now occupied by John Stone and David Woodward. Although a practicing physician he owned a grist-mill and saw-mill on the premises now occupied by A. C. Emerson & Co. About 1816 he and Abraham Wing, who afterwards went to Queensbury, built a store near the iron bridge. After a few months it burned and was never rebuilt. Dr. Hoffman moved to Saratoga about 1820 and remained there until his death.

Dr. Thomas Pattison, a sketch of whose life appears in the chapter devoted to the history of past physicians, came to the village of Thurman in 1805 and boarded with the family of Richardson Thurman. He married that gentleman's daughter, Elizabeth, on the 4th day of February, 1810, and removed at once to the farm now occupied by John and James McGann. He practiced medicine here until about 1850 or 1855. He died February 6th, 1867. He has, now living, four sons - Elias, of Hammondsport, Steuben county; Thurman, of Wellsboro, Pa.; Augustus, of Williamsport, Pa., and James, of Ballston, N. Y., and two daughters, Mrs. Sarah Carpenter and Miss C. E. Pattison, both residing in the village of Warrensburgh.

The reader now has some idea of the condition of the country, and the names and the occupations of the residents of the town at the time of its organization in 1813. He is therefore prepared to read with keener interest an account of some of the early town meetings, and of the quaint and self-explanatory resolutions passed thereat.

The first town meeting of the town of Warrensburgh was held on the 4th day of April, 1813, at the house of Mrs. Melinda Warren. (1) The following persons were elected the first officers of the town: Supervisor, James L. Thurman; town clerk, Myron Beach; assessors, Dr. Harmon Hoffman, John McMillen and Joseph Norton; commissioners of highways, Dr. Thomas Pattison, Whitman Cole, Albro Tripp; overseers of the poor, Dr. Harmon Hoffman and Dr. Thomas Pattison; constable and collector, Samuel Stackhouse; fence Page 580 viewers, Myron Beach and Dr. Thomas Pattison; poundmaster, William Hough; pathmasters; District No. 1, Myron Beach; No.2, Joseph Harrington; No, 3, Silas Mills; No. 4, Dr. Thomas Pattison; No. 5, James L. Thurman; No.6, James Lucas; No. 7, Sylvester Saturley; No. 8, Thomas Newbury (lived near Bolton); No. 9, Joseph Smith; No. 10, Nathan Sheerman; No. 11, Abel Matoon; No. 12, David McCansey; No. 13, Albro Tripp; No. 14, Solomon Thurston; No. 15, Nathaniel Norton; No. 16, Solomon Munsil; No. 17, Duncan McDonald; No. 18, David Millington; No. 19, Alexander Robertson; No. 20, Daniel Geer; No. 21, Samuel Bennett; No. 22, Shadraeh Newton.

1. It will be remembered that for a number of years after the death of James Warren, his widow, Melinda Warren, and his son Wilson, carried on the business. The house of Mrs. Melinda Warren is undoubtedly, therefore, the present Warren House, kept by John Heffron.

At this meeting the sum of fifty dollars was voted for the support of the poor; ten dollars was offered as a bounty for each wolf killed within the town limits; and the meeting was adjourned with a resolution that the next annual meeting be held at the same place. At the next meeting, 1814, the wolf bounty was increased to fifteen dollars, and a resolution was passed that a fine of five dollars be levied upon every man who should neglect to destroy the Tory weed on his own farm and in the highway opposite his farm. Among the new names that appear are Peleg Tripp, Isaac Woodward, James Griffing, Royal P. Wheeler, Aaron Priest, Jonathan Vowers, Henry Lewis, and Philip Baker. The third annual meeting was also held at Mrs. Melinda Warren's, and for the first time the offices of inspectors, and commissioners of schools were created. Seventy-five dollars raised for the support of the poor, indicates that the increasing population did not necessarily bring to the town a proportionate increase of wealth. The wolf bounty was voted at ten dollars and a coon bounty of twelve and a half cents offered. The sum of ten dollars was voted to purchase a standard of weights and measures, and the town clerk was directed to copy all the resolutions and post them up in conspicuous places. In 1816 it was resolved that twenty-five cents be paid for every crow killed in the town, conditioned upon the presentation of the proper "certifficut" from a justice of the peace.

In 1817 the sum of $200 was voted for the support of the poor. By this time the care of the poor of the town had become something of a problem, for in addition to the increased sum raised for their support, James Pattison and Lucius Green, overseers of the poor, and Seth C. Baldwin were appointed, pursuant to resolution, a committee to procure a "sufficient and proper establishment" for the employment of the paupers of the town. Furthermore, a special meeting was held on the 15th of April, 1817, at which the sum of two hundred dollars was raised for the relief of the poor, and the poormasters were authorized to borrow that amount on the credit of the town, and with it to purchase provisions for the poor. No action of any importance was recorded after this until the year 1822, when the extremely significant and peculiar resolution was passed that "a fine of ten dollars be inflicted on any ram running at Page 581 large from the 12th of September until the 20th of November." Another resolution passed in 1825, reads to the effect that "hogs, horses and sheep shant be free commoners." In 1826 a bounty of five dollars was offered for every wild cat killed. During all these years we find indications of improvement in all things; roads were in constant process of construction, alteration and repair. Bridges were built and rebuilt. School-houses were erected, and there was going on a perpetual readjustment of the existing conditions to the changes wrought by growing population and the increasing importance of business activities. But the face of the country did not lose its original grim wildness for years. During winters the farmers turned their attention to lumbering and the pine forests that mantled the earth were gradually felled and converted into lumber or floated down the river to the lumber market at Glens Falls. Wolves, panthers, lynxes and wild cats infested the neighborhood down to a comparatively recent date, for until 1846 bounties were annually offered for the death of one or all of the kinds of beasts named. Nevertheless, improvements were continually going on. As we have seen, the roads to Chester, Thurman, Caldwell, and Bolton were all here in a rude state at the beginning of the century. They were scarcely traversable, however, except by persons on foot or horseback, being full of stumps and insurmountable rocks. The road to The Glen was built about the year 1825. A plank road was built from Warrensburgh to Chester in 1850, and one from Warrensburgh to Caldwell in 1849. The leading men in the company which constructed the former of the plank roads were Pelatiah Richards and Joseph Woodward, who, in connection with B. P. Burhans and Thomas S. Gray, were also chiefly instrumental in the construction of the plank road to Caldwell. Both these roads have been since converted into turnpikes.

The bridge across the Hudson between the town s of Warrensburgh and Thurman has also something of a history. On the 20th of Apri,. 1836, the Legislature appropriated $4,000 for the construction of a bridge at this place, or "between Warrensburgh and Athol." George Pattison and Stephen Griffing, of Warrensburgh, and Richard Cameron, of Athol were appointed commissioners. This was the occasion of the building of the old wooden bridge. On the 4th of April, 1871, $2,500 was appropriated by the Legislature "for the relief of Warrensburgh and Thurman towards the building of a bridge between the towns near the mouth of the Schroon River." The construction of the present bridge followed hard upon this action.

Warrensburgh, in common with the other towns of the county, did well for the country during the late "misunderstanding" between the two sections. As the general military history of the county is given in a former chapter, it is unnecessary to do more here than point out a little the action of the town in relation to volunteer service. According to the records, a special meeting was called April 4th, 1864, at the house of Duncan Griffin, at which it was voted Page 582 unanimously that the sum of $1,700 be raised immediately for each volunteer. This was an encouragement to the male inhabitants to fill the quota under the call of the president for men. At another special meeting held on August 9th, 1864, it was decided by a vote of sixty-three to twelve to raise $8,000 to fill the quota under the president's call for 500,000 men. At the same meeting the town auditors were authorized to borrow money (exclusive of the $8,000 before mentioned) on an issue of bonds for the purpose of paying volunteers, and Thomas Cunningham, F. C. Burhans, Hiram McNutt, Samuel T. Richards and Henry Herrick were appointed a committee to raise the money on these bonds. On the 29th of the same month, at another special meeting, it was resolved by a vote of 149 against nine to raise $12,000 additional to fill the quota under the call for 500,000 men, and the sum of $800 was voted as a bounty for each volunteer. This was not of course all that the town did during the last war. It answered promptly the call for men and money, and a goodly number of those who form the bulk of the population to-day can remember with gratification the part they took in defense of the menaced Union. (1)

1. The town history should not be a closed without a mention of the old block house of tradition, which Dr. A. W. Holden, of Glens Falls, described in a recent number of the Warrensburgh News. He says in effect that the traveler approaching the "lower borough," as the residents of Warrensburgh in former days called the lower village, after crossing the iron bridge which spans the Schroon River, will discover at about rods distance a huge boulder whose front overtops the highway. There is a tradition connected with it. In 1790-91, during the troubles between the government and the Indians along the frontier, the old Indian trail leading from the Mohawk River past the base of Crane Mountain to the lake being yet open, and the memory of former raids being yet fresh in the minds of the inhabitants, they gathered from the surrounding wilderness homes to the hill at the rear of this big rock, speedily cleared away the forest which hid its, summit, and erected from the logs a two-storied blockhouse, with port-holes and fastenings sufficient for the purposes of the protection against an ordinary Indian attack. It is not recorded that they were called upon to employ it for the purpose of its construction, and even the vestiges of its ruins have been obliterated for years.

Following is a list of the supervisors of the town from the date of its formation to the present: 1813, James L. Thurman; 1814 and 1815, Harmon Hoffman; 1816 and 1817, James L. Thurman; 1818-20, Dudley Farlin; 1821-23, Duncan McDonald; 1824, Richardson Thurman; 1825 and 1826, James L. Thurman; 1827 and 1828, Dudley Farlin; 1829, Joseph Russell; 1830, Pelatiah Richards; 1831-34, Joseph Russell; 1835, John Thurman; 1836 and 1837, Stephen Griffing; 1838, Pelatiah Richards; 1839, Joseph Russell; 1840, Alton Nelson; 1841, Thomas S. Gray; 1842, Asa Crandall; 1843, Abial Burdick; 1844, Nelson J. Warren; 1845, Joseph Woodward : 1846, Nelson J. Warren; 1847, James R. Berry; 1848, Abial Burdick; 1849, John Moon; 1850, Nelson J. Warren; 1851 and 1852, James R. Berry; 1853, Abial Burdick; 1854, Myron H. Shaw; 1855, John S. Berry; 1856, Nelson J. Warren; 1857 and 1858, Stephen Griffin, 2d; 1859 and 1860, Stephen Griffing; 1861 and 1862, Thomas Cunningham; 1863, Duncan Griffing; 1864 and 1865, Thomas Cunningham; 1866 and 1867, Abial Burdick; 1868, Charles H. Hogan; Page 583 1869, Stephen Griffin, 2d; 1870, John Mixter; 1871, Charles M. Osborn; 1872-1877, Thomas Cunningham; 1878, Lewis C. Eldridge; 1879, Stephen Griffin, 2d; 1880, Joel J. White; 1881, Thomas Cunningham; 1882, Joel J. White; 1883, Thomas Cunningham; 1884, Henry Griffing; 1885, Henry Griffing.

The present officers of the town (1885,) are as follows: Supervisor, Henry Griffing; town clerk, L. C. Aldrich; justices of the peace, James Herrick, elected in 1882; F, R, Osborne, 1883; Daniel Aldrich, 1884, and B. W. Sherwood, 1885; assessors, Sylvanus Smith, Jamon H. Harrington and John H. Stone; commissioners of highways, Charles H. Colvin, Albert H. Alden and John W. Wills; collector, Sheridan E. Prosser; overseer of the poor, Nathaniel F. Mathews; constables, Eugene F. Prosser, Charles W. Taber, Moses R. Herrington, Edgar T. Hayes; game constable, Fred O. Hammond; inspectors of election, George W. Matthews, John McElroy, Elmer E. Whitman; excise commissioners, George Woodward, Daniel Varnum, Elijah Pratt.

According to the various census reports, the population of the town of Warrensburgh in 1850 was 1,874; in 1855, 1,946; in 1860, 1,704; in 1865, 1,585; in 1870, 1,579; in 1875, 1,660; in 1880, 1,725.

Municipal History.

In the preceding pages of this chapter, much that has been deemed of broad enough application to be placed in the general history, has yet a decided reference to the early condition of the village. Although since the arrival in this vicinity of the earliest settlers, the population has centered, by a natural law, about the site of this village, yet the community could hardly claim title to the name village during the first ten or fifteen years of this century. Gordon's Gazetteer (1) describes the place in 1836, as containing one Methodist and one Presbyterian church, two taverns, five stores, a large tannery, a grist-mill, two saw-mills, carding and cloth-dressing works, and "about fifty dwellings, mostly new." Considerable business had been done here, however, every year after about 1815, and many of the important industries which now go to make up the thrift and prosperity of the village, date their origin back to a period not long posterior to this time.

1. In possession of Dr. Holden.

The first post-office here was kept about where the Warren House now stands. It was established about the year 1806, with Kitchell Bishop as the first postmaster. He was succeeded in a short time by James Warren. After Mr. Warren's death, his son, Nelson J. Warren, succeeded to the position, and kept the office for a number of years. After he gave up the office, various postmasters succeeded. In 1856, we find Frederick A. Farlin in the office. In 1862, Captain M. N. Dickinson received the appointment, but went at once to take a prominent part in the Rebellion, and Miles Thomas performed the duties Page 584 incident to the position until 1866, when Captain Dickinson returned, and from that time until July, 1885, he served in that office. On the last named date, C. E. Cole received the appointment.

Various causes have co-operated to make Warrensburgh a thriving village. The excellent water power of the Schroon and of some of the smaller streams in the vicinity afforded the more energetic inhabitants the opportunity of erecting mills with a fair chance of realizing a comfortable profit from the outlay. In earlier days the great quantities of hemlock in the surrounding country attracted hither persons desirous of establishing a prosperous tanning business. When the railroad was opened nearly twenty years ago an additional impetus was given to business by reason of the increase it created in the shipping facilities of the place. Before the road was built all the exports had to be drawn with teams a distance of fifteen miles to Glens Falls, and thence shipped via the feeder to their destination. As Mr. A. C. Emerson expressively says: "Many think that the road takes travelers by, but probably no resident of Warrensburgh would like to see it torn up."

In addition to the advantages of railroad communication, a telephone line connects Warrensburgh with Thurman station, Saratoga and Glens Falls, and stage routes have long been established between this village and Thurman station, Glens Falls and Chestertown. These are at once results and evidences of a continual growth from an infinitesimal beginning. This growth can best be described by giving a brief historical sketch of each of the prominent business establishments and educational and religious institutions at present existing.

Hotels. - The Warren House was built and first used as a tavern by James Pitts in 1789. In a few years it passed into the hands of Jasper Duel. In 1804 James Warren purchased it of Duel, and kept it until his death. Although the property was leased to various persons, it remained in the bands of the Warren family until 1866, when it was sold to Russell and Chapman. In three or four years Henry Chapman bought out Joseph Russell and in the spring of 1878 he sold to the present proprietor, John Heffron. He has thoroughly renovated, remodeled and repaired the house, and has made it a most commodious and comfortable resting place for tourists and travelers of every name and nature. He sets an excellent table. The house can conveniently accommodate forty guests.

The construction of the Adirondack House, the only other hotel in the village, was commenced by Alton Nelson and John McLaren, but finished in 1825 by Edmund Richards, brother to Pelatiah Richards. He ran the house for a number of years and was followed by Alton Nelson and the latter by Joseph Woodward who bought the property. John McLaren rented it of Mr. Woodward a few months, and was succeeded by Bradford Tubbs, who kept the house nearly two years. Stephen Griffin, 2d, acquired title and possession of the hotel in 1838, and kept it until about 1847, when he sold out to Page 585 Lewis Persons. R. C. Smith, the present proprietor, came into the house in 1867 as successor to Lewis Persons. He can accommodate about forty guests, and has the reputation of keeping a good house.

M. N. Dickenson

M. N. Dickenson

Mercantile Interests. - The oldest mercantile establishment in town is that of A. T. Pasko & Son (E. D. Pasko), who are engaged in making and selling harnesses and the appurtenances thereto. The senior member of the firm began the business here in 1851, in the same building which he at present occupies. It is well to state, however, that for two or three years before that he had carried on the business in a small way at his residence. About the year 1860 he removed his business to the building which he now occupies as a dwelling, and in 1876 came back to his present quarters. At that time his son, E. D. Pasko, became his partner, and since then the firm name and personnel has remained the same, A. T. Pasko & Son. In January, 1863, O. F. Hammond started a general store in the building which he still occupies as a drug store. In 1864 he changed the business from the sale of general merchandise to the preparation and sale of drugs and chemicals. It was the first drug store in town. Robert Jarvis first kept store in Warrensburgh in 1865, after acting two and a half years as clerk for Henry Herrick, whom he bought out. In 1866 he sold again to James and Halsey Herrick. This store was where Mr. Dickinson's drug store now is. In 1867 Mr. Jarvis bought out the old James Warren stand, of James Fuller, and for six months had with him a partner, Dennis Stone. He then bought out Stone's interest and transferred it to his brother, Walter Jarvis. This relation subsisted for about two years, since the termination of which Robert Jarvis has remained alone. In 1871 he sold out to the present owner of that store, James Herrick. After a partial suspension of business for five years, Mr. Jarvis, in 1876, erected his present store, and has since then continued there in the mercantile business. Captain M. N. Dickinson, for so many years postmaster here, began the hardware business in the building now used as the printing office, in 1865, being the pioneer dealer in this description of goods in Warrensburgh. In 1871 he sold out to John G. Hunt. In the fall of 1881 lie went into partnership with A. H. Thomas, in the store they now occupy, and from the commencement of this relation they did business under the firm name of A. H. Thomas & Co. They deal in general merchandise, clothing, however, being a specialty. Captain Dickinson has also had the agency for the sale of the Royal St. John sewing machine since 1884. A. H. Thomas began his mercantile career here in 1868, going in with his father, Miles Thomas, who had been a Warrensburgh merchant since 1854. The firm name in 1868 became, therefore, Miles Thomas & Son. In May, 1872, Miles Thomas retired, and his son, Charles A. Thomas, entered into partnership with his brother. He left, however, in December, 1878, and A. H. Thomas remained alone until Captain Dickinson went in with him, as above stated. When Charles A. Thomas left his brother in 1878, he immediately started another Page 586 store in the stone building which he still occupies. Until January 10th, 1884, he conducted the business in company with M. N. Noxon, but since then has been the sole proprietor of the business. In 1866 James Herrick first began to keep a general store in the building now occupied by G. W. Dickinson as a drug store. In about two years he removed to the building now occupied by E. Osborn. In 1871 he went into his present store, at which time he bought the stock of Robert Jarvis, who, as before stated, had been a general merchant here a number of years before. James Fuller, also named before as the predecessor of Robert Jarvis in this building, himself succeeded Nelson J. Warren, the son of James Warren, so that this house can probably lay claim to the distinction of being the oldest store building in the village. E. S. Crandall and his father, J. Crandall, entered into co-partnership relations in 1867, under the firm name of Crandall & Son. They occupied the present drug store of G. W. Dickinson until about 1876, when they moved into the building still occupied by E. S. Crandall. The partnership was dissolved in 1878. John G. Hunt bought out the hardware store of Captain M. N. Dickinson in 1871. In 1882 he added the general mercantile department. The business now conducted by E. Osborn was founded by his father, C. W. Osborn in 1872. He died in March, 1885, since which time the present proprietor has continued the business. The building, though unoccupied for some years before 1872, is an old store, being formerly used as such by James Herrick (see above). Warren Potter established a dry goods business in the building which he still uses, in January, 1877. In October, 1883, Alphonso Young purchased a half interest in the store, and the business is now conducted under the style of Potter & Young. S. E. Prosser opened a miniature general store at his residence in 1879. In 1883 he increased his stock and removed to his present location. H. Herrick opened his store in Louisville in 1879. He originated the business which he now conducts. G. W. Dickinson opened a drug store in the "upper village" in 1879, taking a one-half interest with L. C. Charette. In 1880 he purchased Charette's interest. He came to his present location in May, 1883. J. W Wills commenced dealing in general merchandise in August, 1881. He has also been wagonmaker and blacksmith in the building which he still uses for the same purpose, since 1860. D. W. Bean, jeweler, came here in the spring of 1881, from Chestertown, where he had been engaged in the same business for ten years previously. In 1881 James H. Mixter began the hardware business in the same building now used for a like purpose by his brother, F. R. Mixter. The transfer of the business was effected in 1882. F. W. Herrick buys and sells furniture now in the same building in which he began, on January 1st, 1883, when he bought out the stock of Bullard & Hunt.

Manufacturing Interests. - The first grist-mill in town was built by Joseph Hutchinson on the Stow place, at the point which is now known as the south end of the Judd bridge. At low water the remains of the old dam are yet Page 587 visible. The first grist-mill erected on the site of that now known as the Burhans mill was built by Dr. Michael Hoffman, (1) about the year 1806, and sold by him to Dudley Farlin in 1816. In 1824 Farlin erected the present mill, and soon after sold it to Nelson J. Warren, who ran it for a term of years and sold it to William B. Farlin on the 4th of August, 1845. In the following December Burhans and Gray bought it. They extensively repaired the mill in the following summer. On the 1st of May, 1860, Colonel Burhans purchased the interest of General Gray. In August, 1862, Colonel Burhans placed in a run of stone - making four in all. Since his death the business has been conducted by his heirs. The mill will grind fifteen tons of produce in twelve hours.

1. Judge Woodward has said in previous pages that the Harmon Hoffman named in the town records was "Dr." Hoffman. The persons may be identical.

The mills now operated by A. C. Emerson & Co. were built about 1818 or 1820 by Dudley Farlin, who remained sole proprietor of the business until about 1834. He then sold out to Nelson J. Warren, who, after conducting it for a time, sold his entire interest to Joseph Russell. The latter transferred a one-fourth interest to Stephen Griffin, 2d, and soon after another one-fourth interest to Joseph Woodward. Then Mr. Griffin purchased a third part of Russell. In 1855 Joseph Woodward bought of Russell the remaining fourth. In the same year A. C. Emerson, who is now the senior member of the company, became grantee of one-half of Joseph Woodward's interest. They ran a store in connection with the mill. In 1858 James McDonald secured an interest in the concern, which he retained until 1865. In the mean time - 1859 - I. S Woodward purchased the entire interest of his uncle, Joseph Woodward, and in 1865 he and A. C. Emerson secured title to McDonald's share. It should be stated that Griffin's interest was distinct and separate from that possessed by the others. He ran the mill a part of the time alone, and the rest conducting the business jointly the remainder of the time. Griffin carried on, also, a separate store. In 1866 I. Starbuck & Brothers (George E. and Edward S.) bought out Griffin's interest in the mill alone. The next change in the complex relations between the members of this quasi-company consisted in the formation of a partnership between A. C. Emerson and I. S. Woodward of the one part, and I. Starbuck & Brothers of the other part, under the firm name of Starbucks, Emerson & Co. On the first of December, 1866, the Starbucks, who had acquired of Thomas S. Gray title to the Horicon tannery, put it in the stock, as they did also the Pharaoh property, which consisted of nearly 7,000 acres of land and included the lake of that name. Another change was effected in 1868 when George Harvey and Lewis M. Baker bought out the Starbucks, and the firm name assumed the form of Harvey, Emerson & Co. Harvey purchased Baker's right in 1869, and on the 13th of February, 1872, Hawley, who by that time owned one-half of the entire property, disposed Page 588 of his interest to S. W. Johnson and David M. Woodward (brother to I. S. Woodward). This relation still subsists.

The capacity of these extensive saw-mills may be stated at about 3,000,000 feet of lumber annually, in a good run of water. It is a gang-mill, containing seventy saws and four gates. A shingle and lath-mill is connected with the saw-mill, and in all from twenty to twenty-five men are kept busy. The logs come from a point above Schroon Lake down the river, a distance of about forty miles. About two miles above the mill is a large boom, and near the mill is another, both of which have been in use ever since the original construction of the mill. The lumber, which is made from, perhaps, 15,000 market logs a year, is shipped almost exclusively by the Adirondack Railroad.

Until within a few months past this company have had what they call the best tannery in the State of New York, situated at Horicon. It has a capacity for tanning 30,000 hides a year. The building is built largely of stone, the stone part being 400 feet in length by twenty high, and surmounted by a wooden loft reaching ten feet above the stone. Connected with it are ten tenement houses and a store. The entire Horicon concern was closed in 1884, because of the increasing scarcity of bark. The Pharaoh property, mentioned a few lines above, was sold a few years ago for $10,000 to Wilhelm Peckhart, of New York city, who expresses his intention of converting it into a park.

The Warren tannery was built by H. S. Osborn & Co., who began work on the 3d of October, 1831. It was the first sole-leather tannery built in Warren county. On May 31st, 1832, they first put hides in water. The original proprietors not succeeding in the business, were superseded in thc spring of 1834 by H. J. Quackenbush. A year later he associated with himself Thomas S. Gray, forming the firm of Quackenbush & Gray. On the 4th of May, 1836, Benjamin P. Burhans purchased Quackenbush's interest in the business, and the new partners conducted affairs under the style of Burhans & Gray. On the1st of April, 1854, Fred O. Burhans became associated with them and the firm style was changed to Burhans, Gray & Co. Colonel Burhans bought out Gray May 1st, 1860, and formed the firm of B. P. Burhans & Son. Since the death of Colonel Burhans on the 16th of July, 1875, the business has been conducted by his heirs under the same name. The capacity of the tannery is about 3,500 hides per year. From twenty-five to thirty hands arc employed. (1)

1. The facts here stated concerning the tannery and grist-mill were obtained through the kindness of Henry Griffing, esq.

The Empire Shirt Company was formed, and the business established in the fall of 1879, by L. Weinman and L. W. Emerson. In 1882, J. I. Dunn had an interest in the concern, but in 1883 he and L. W. Emerson sold their interests - one-half of the whole - to J. A. Emerson, then but nineteen years of age. The building which they occupy is the one erected at the time the business Page 589 was started. They manufacture nothing but shirts, but they make about 25,000 dozen of these per year, and employ about one hundred hands in the building.

Wyman Flint, of Bellows Falls, Vt., started the peg factory still running in January, 1882. The buildings were erected at that time by I. J. Brill. The capacity of the factory is indicated by the statement that it turns out about twenty barrels of pegs daily. White, yellow and black birch are used exclusively, and are drawn from the forests in the vicinity. Charles White is the foreman. Two sets of hands are employed, one numbering fifteen and the other about twenty-seven or twenty-eight.

The planing-mill and sash factory of S. Pasco & Bro. (Walter Pasco), was built in 1881 by John Brill on the site of an old pulp-mill and planing and saw-mill which were destroyed by fire. S. Pasco had rented this property of Brill since 1875, but in June, 1884, he and his brother, Walter Pasco, purchased the property. The lumber comes from Whitehall and sometimes from Canada.

The clothing works of Whitby (R. J.), Emerson (L. W.), and Eldridge (T. J.), were established in the spring of 1885, in a building owned by A. C. Emerson & Co. Their power is obtained from the same dam that feeds the mills. Twenty-five hands are kept at work, and about sixty-five pairs of pantaloons can be made daily.

Warrensburgh News. - The first issue of this weekly paper was dated January 17th, 1878. The first owners, publishers and editors were J. A. Morris & Son (A. H. Morris]. The present editor and proprietor, L. C. Dickinson, purchased it in January, 1881. Since January, 1885, C. E. Cole has been associate editor and has performed the greater part of the labor of editing the paper with unusual ability. The paper, which is issued every Thursday, is an eight paged sheet, containing six columns to the page. It is independent in politics, and its leading articles are distinguished at once for their dispassionate and liberal tone, and their clear elucidation of argument, while the mechanical arrangement of the paper is hardly capable of improvement. It is the only newspaper in Warren county outside of Glens Falls.

The banking house of Emerson & Co. was founded in January, 1884, by A. C. and L. W. Emerson. The latter is cashier. The deposits sum up about $50,000.

The Warrensburgh Water-works, owned and conducted by Samuel Bates and Ira Cole under the firm name of Bates & Co., were established in September, 1884. Their method is to lay pipes on all the streets of the village and sell the privilege of using them to the various families. The water is taken from the John McLaren Brook, two miles south of the village, and has a descent of from two hundred and thirty to three hundred feet according to the location of its destination. Hydrants are in process of construction, looking to the formation of a fire company.

Page 590

The Warrensburgh Academy. - At present the district school system prevails at Warrensburgh, though the schools are well attended. But the history of the village would not be complete without some mention of the old Warrensburgh Academy, which has graduated so many men who have since attained prominent positions in the county and elsewhere. It was conducted by a stock company which was incorporated about the year 1857. The first trustees were Stephen Griffin, 2d, George and Samuel Richards, Dr. H. McNutt, Dr. E. W. Howard, M. N. Dickinson, Miles Thomas, Thomas Cunningham, Thomas S. Gray, F. O. Burhans, and three others. In the fall of 1854 the school building, which is still in use, was erected. The first principal was the Rev. Robert C. Clapp, of Chestertown. He came, in fact, before the incorporation of the company, and before the second department had become a feature of the school. He was succeeded in 1857 by Frank Shepherd. The building when completed, had cost about $4,500. There are now three departments in the school. No principal has been employed for the ensuing year. The general attendance varies from seventy-five to one hundred and thirty pupils. The present trustees are as follows: Miles Thomas, Captain M. N. Dickinson, John W. Wills, Harvey White, Lemuel Woodward, A. C. Emerson, Dr. E. W. Howard, John P. Cole, James Herrick, F. O. Burhans, and Thomas Cunningham.

Churches. - The first church organization formed in the town - or what is now the town - of Warrensburgh was Methodist, and dates its origin back to Christmas, 1784, though it did not in reality contain members residing in this as yet unpeopled region. The present Methodist Church of Warrensburgh, however, is the same organization, being merely settled in a different locality. The beginnings must have been extremely small. No appointments were made north of New York city, 1785, when "Salem appears." In 1790, this region was embraced in the Albany circuit. James Campbell was then preacher. Lorenzo Dow, also, the famous local preacher, was an early "exhorter" hereabouts. From 1799 to 1810 the vicinity formed a part of the Cambridge Circuit. In 1810 the Thurman Circuit appears on the minutes, with Lansford Whitney in charge. The circuit then had one hundred and seventy-seven members. In 1811 Gershum Seaver had charge, and 1812 Tobias Spicer. At this period local preachers came around once in four weeks. In 1813 Gilbert Lyon was preacher; in 1814, Elijah Hibbard; 1815, Daniel Brayton and Stephen Joyce; in 1816, Daniel I. Wright; 1817, Sherman Minor. In 1818 the name was changed to Warren Circuit. Daniel Brayton preached then. Daniel I. Wright came again in 1819, and was followed in 1820 by Jacob Hall. The following preachers were in charge of the circuit during the following named years: 1821, Cyrus Stillman; 1822, Phineas Owan; 1823, John Clark; 1824 and 1825, Roswell Kelley; 1826, Jacob Beeman and Joseph Eames; 1827, Nathan Rice and A. Hulin; 1828, Nathan Rice and Merritt Bates; 1829, Page 591 Seymour Coleman and another; 1830, Seymour Coleman and Joseph Ayres; 1831, Joseph McCreary and Henry R. Coleman; 1832, J. R. McCreary. The list of preachers from this time to 1844 was not accessible.

The first church edifice was erected about 1802 or 1803. Judge Kitchel Bishop gave the land whereon the building stood, - a tract embracing the present plot and considerable more. Major Richardson Thurman gave fifty dollars in money, Josiah Woodward and Isaac Woodward contributed the work and timber.

In 1840 the old edifice was removed bodily to the place now owned by Sanford Johnson, just west of John G. Hunt's hardware store, and the present edifice was built on the old site by Joseph Woodward and his brother, John Woodward. "Mr. Woodward" (the records do not say which one) gave $200 in money; Joseph Woodward paid a debt of $60; and Peter Cameron, Asa Crandell, Josiah Crandell, Aaron Phillis and one other ten dollars each. The church was dedicated by the Rev. S. Covell, the Rev. William Armer being the regular preacher at the time. The first class-leaders were Josiah Woodward and Isaac Woodward. Among earliest families were those of Josiah Woodward, Daniel Robinson and Nathan Sheerman. The list of pastors from the dedication of the church to 1871 has not been found. In the latter year, the Rev. D. Brough was the regular pastor, and was succeeded to the present as follows: 1873-75, Rev. R. Campbell; 1876-78, Rev. M. M. Curry; 1879, Rev. William A. Groat; 1880, Rev. C. J. Mott; 1881-83, Rev. Anthony Wolford; 1883-85, Rev. Webster Ingersoll; 1885, Rev. W. R. Winans. The present officers are as follows: stewards, J. W. Wills, district steward, Frederick Herrick, Lemuel Woodward, recording steward, Truman Brown, Edward Wood; trustees, J. W. Wills, Miles Thomas, Lemuel Woodward, Joseph Woodward, Robert Jarvis, Frederick Herrick and Daniel Aldrich.

The Warrensburgh charge includes the churches at Thurman Hollow and Potter School-house, making a territory of about twelve miles in diameter, the total membership amounting to about one hundred and sixty-five. The history of the Sunday-school, as far as it could be gathered, is nearly covered with that of the Warrensburgh Church proper. The present average attendance is about fifty. The superintendent is J. W. Wills.

The next church organization effected here was of the Presbyterian denomination, and dates its beginning in the year 1804. It was originally intended to include a membership extending over a spacious territory, and was known as the Presbyterian church of Warrensburgh and Athol. The first pastor was the Rev. --- Kloss. Among the first members were John McDonald, and Emily, his wife, William Murry, and Margaret, his wife, Kitchell Bishop, and Anna, his wife, Peter Bratt, and Vrontye, his wife, John McEwan, and Christiana, his wife, James Cameron, and Christine, his wife, John McDonald, 2d, and Christiana, his wife, George McDonald, and Jane, his wife, Alexander Page 592 Murry, and Molly, his wife, John Moon, and Mary, his wife, John Murry, John Bratt, Derrick Bratt, James Dow, James McDonald, 2d, William Cameron and Duncan McEwan. The first elders were John McDonald and Kitchel Bishop. The first church edifice was erected at Thurman at the time of organization. The present structure was built between 1836 and 1840 by Joseph Woodward. Its cost was about $3,000. It has undergone the repairs that a building of that age would naturally require.

In 1805 Rev. --- Williams succeeded Mr. Kloss in the pastorate, and in 1806, the Rev. Jonas Coe, to whom belongs the credit of consummating the formation of the church, was pastor. Following is a list of pastors who have served since 1806: 1807-12, Rev. Matthew Harrison, the first pastor who was duly installed according to the rites of the denomination; 1817, Rev. Nathaniel Prime; 1819, Rev. Cornelius Bogardus; 1826, Rev. Jonas Coe; 1822, '23, Rev. John K. Davis; 1830, Rev. Jonathan Kitchell; 1861, '32, Rev. James W. Farlin; 1832, '33; Rev. John K. Davis; 1833, Rev. Amos Bingham; 1834-37, Rev. James W. Farlin, who died in charge; 1837-39, Rev. Azariah L. Crandall; 1839-42, Rev. Thomas J. Haswell (preached once in two weeks); 1839 (with Mr. Haswell), Rev. Courtney Smith; 1857, Rev. Thomas Riggs; 1859, Rev. Henry A. Post (died Nov. 12th, 1861); 1863, Rev. Albert C. Bishop; 1870-72, Rev. Alexander E. Smith; 1876, Rev. William M. Machette; 1881, Rev. D. O. Irving; 1884 and at present, Rev. James F. Knowles.

The present membership of the church is forty, and the elders are as follows: John Moon, A. C. Emerson, W. H. Wilcox, D. H. Howard, M. D.

The Sunday-school, which owes its organization to the efforts of Mrs. Sarah Farlin, has now an average attendance of about forty-five. Henry Wilcox is the present superintendent.

The Baptist church of Warrensburgh was organized on the 26th of December, 1807, and was the result of the labors of the church at Thurman, which was organized at Chestertown in 1796. The first members were: Richard Truesdell, Nathaniel Streeter, Asa Smith, Gideon Putney, Joshua Kellum, David Smith, Simeon Fuller, Asa Twichel, John Skiff, Elizabeth Fuller, Eda Smith, Lucretia Putney, Desire Burlingame, Mercy Griffis, Eunice Hough, Delight Skiff and Sarah Otis, consisting, as will be seen, of nine male and eight female members. Rev. Jehiel Fox, the pastor of the church at Chestertown, preached here at the first. The first deacons were Asa Smith and Simeon Fuller. A frame building owned by Nathaniel Smith and standing on the farm now occupied by Simeon Hall was fitted up for a school-house and meeting-house. In about 1825 they built a house of worship which they used until 1877, when the present edifice, which was commenced in 1876, was dedicated (June 10th). The cost of the present building, lot and fixtures was about $6.500.

Page 593

The following is a list of the successive pastors which have served this church. On the 6th of September, 1809, came the first regular pastor, Rev. Daniel McBride. He remained until December 8th, 1813, when he went West, and in 1814, his successor, Rev. Parker Reynolds, began his labors here. He too left in 1815, and from that time until 1820, it is not supposed that they had a settled pastor, but were supplied by Elders Harris, Swain, Henry Faxon and Grant. On the 24th of June, 1820, Justin Eastwood assumed the duties of the pastorate until his ordination in June, 1821. In 1822 there was a membership of one hundred and six but the records for the next forty years are lost. Between 1822 and 1832 two licentiates preached here, Artemus Arnold in 1825 and G. Brooks in 1826. In 1836 George B. Wells was made a licentiate, and in 1838 was ordained. Just previous to 1842 Rev. Charles Williams became pastor, and soon after his labors began Aaron Gates, jr., was licensed to preach. The membership at this time was 135. A. D. Milne, afterwards prominent in the county, was licensed to preach here in 1843. In 1844 William S. Bush was licentiate and pastor. 1846, '47, Walker Stilson, licentiate. At this time the church was divided and four new churches organized according to territorial location. But the division did not prove a blessing to any of the churches, and all the 5th of July, 1852, eight of the old members dedicated themselves to the work of reviving the old Warrensburgh and Caldwell church. The first clerk after the revival was Truman Chapman, and the first deacon was Warren Potter. By the month of September, 1862, the reorganized church had a membership of twenty-four. The pastor then was Rev. R. O. Dwyre, who remained one year, and saw the house of worship remodeled and built almost anew. In 1864 Revs. E. W. Burdick and W. Stilson both served in the pastorate, and the membership rose to 101. Rev. Caleb Smith followed in 1866. In the following year came Rev. W. Stilson again, who remained until 1868. Then Rev. Stephen Wright followed. From December, 1869 to May, 1872, Rev. W. Stilson resumed this pastorate, during which time Matthew W. Burdick was licensed to preach. The pastor in 1872 and 1873 was Rev. A. B. Palmatier. In December, 1873, Charles H. Wyman, a licentiate, became pastor and was ordained on March 19th, 1874. The pastors since 1875 have been: 1876, '77, Rev. Jacob Gray; 1877-80, Rev. Joshua Wood; 1880-85, Rev. George M. Muller (ordained here October 6th, 1880). The church is at present without pastor. The present officers are as follows: -

Deacons, Warren Potter, Warren Harrington, Dr. D. E. Spoor, and Charles B. Hill; clerk and treasurer, S. W. Johnson; trustees, Warren Potter, Ira Cole, Charles B. Hill, Israel Harrington, Nathan B. Sharp, and Sanford W. Johnson. The present membership of the church is one hundred and eighty-seven.

The Sunday-school was organized some time before 1860. The superintendent is Ira Cole. The average attendance is not far from sixty or seventy persons.

Page 594

On the first Sunday in Advent, December 1st, 1861, at two o'clock in the afternoon, the Rev. Robert Fulton Crary, missionary at Caldwell, read evening prayer in the Presbyterian house of worship at Warrensburgh, and such services were soon after regularly conducted by him.

On the Sunday evenings of the 13th, 20th, and 27th of March, 1864, by the permission of the Bishop of New York, a notice was read which called a meeting for the purpose of incorporating the parish of the Holy Cross of Warrensburgh. The notice proving defective no organization was then effected.

On Wednesday in Whitsuntide, May 18th, 1864, the corner stone of the church was laid by the Rev. Robert F. Crary, priest and missionary in charge of the station. From this time until February 1st, 1865, work was continued upon the building, which, with the exception of the tower and porch, was completed. On the fifth Sunday after Epiphany, February 5th, 1865, the building was opened for Divine service. On Palm Sunday and Easter Day in 1865, a notice was read calling a meeting on April 19th, 1865, for the purpose of incorporation, in pursuance of which the following persons assembled in due time: Rev. Robert F. Crary, Frederick O. Burhans, Duncan Griffin, George A. Schneider, Robert Stewart, Charles Braley, John Hochaday, Moses Sutton, and Henry Griffing.

Benjamin P. Burhans and Stephen Griffin were duly elected wardens, and Frederick O. Burhans, Duncan Griffin, Charles Braley, Henry Herrick, Samuel T. Richards, James Farrar, Moses Sutton, and Henry Griffing, vestrymen.

In the spring of 1865 the porch and tower of the church edifice were completed.

On the ninth Sunday after Trinity, August 13th, 1865, the Rt. Rev. Horatio Potter, Bishop of New York, made his first visit to the parish. The following is taken from his official report: "Aug. 13th, 9th Sunday after Trinity, evening, in the Church of the Holy Cross, Warrensburgh, I preached, confirmed four persons, and addressed them. This is a new and beautiful church in a charming situation, and the parish, recently organized, is in a prosperous condition under the ministry of the Rev. R. F. Crary."

A new pipe organ was placed in the church in May, 1866, and first used on Whitsunday, May 20th, of that year, completing, with the previous cost of the church edifice and ground, an expenditure of $7,792.87. On June 13th, 1866, the Bishop of New York consecrated the church. In the fall of 1867, Rev. R. F. Crary was appointed to the rectorship of the Holy Comforter, of Poughkeepsie, N. Y., and from that time this parish was left in charge of missionaries until November 8th, 1869, when Rev. Henry H. Oberly was appointed by the Bishop of Albany rector of the parish. He resigned on the first of November, 1872, and was succeeded by Rev. James E. Hall, who remained until September 29th, 1874. The present rector, Rev. William M. Ogden, was appointed April 1st, 1875. In the fall of 1874 lands adjoining the church lot of one and Page 595 one-half acres were purchased, and on July 16th, 1885, ground was broken for the erection of a rectory, parish house and public reading room. (1)

1. We are indebted for the above to Mr. Henry Griffing, who kindly sent us the sketch, which we have here inserted almost verbatim.

The Roman Catholic Church Society of Warrensburgh was regularly organized by Rev. James A. Kelly, its first resident pastor, under the title of St. Cecilia in 1874. This was Father Kelly's first mission after he was ordained in Troy Seminary. Before that time the Catholic families in this vicinity were attended at varying intervals by priests from Glens Falls and Minerva. The corner stone of the first church edifice was laid on the 23d of July, 1875, and the church, by virtue of the zealous efforts of its young pastor, was dedicated on the 5th of September, 1877, the cost of the building having been $6,000, and of the furniture, $2,000, making a total expenditure of $8,000, its present value. The number of communicants is one hundred and twenty-five. Since Rev. James Kelly resigned, after building and paying for four churches in different towns in the mission, viz.: At north Creek, Luzerne, Weavertown, and Warrensburgh, the following clergymen have had charge: Rev. James Greene attended the mission from September, 1881, to November of the same year, and was transferred to Cleveland. Rev. James Lynch from November 19th, 1881, to February 19th, 1882. Rev. James Muldoon, from February 19th, to June 20th, 1882. Rev. W. O'Mahoney, the present pastor, came July 1st, 1882. The Sunday-school attached to the church was organized in 1874, and Rt. Rev. Bishop McNierney has conferred confirmation here twice since that year. It is stated on good authority that this is the finest and largest church edifice in the Adirondacks, north of Glens Falls and Saratoga.

Attorneys and Counselors. - Thomas Cunningham, the attorney of longest standing in Warrensburgh, was born in Chesterfield, Essex county, in 1826. He studied law with Kellogg & Hale, of Elizabethtown, and was admitted to the bar at Plattsburg, on the fourth of July, 1854. He has practiced here ever since his admission.

Lewis C. Aldrich was born on May 13th, 1852, in the town of Thurman. He was admitted to the bar on April 9th, 1875, at Albany, after passing a clerkship with Thomas Cunningham of Warrensburgh, which he commenced in the spring of 1871, He was town clerk of Warrensburgh in 1874-77, 1881-85 inclusive; supervisor of Warrensburgh in 1878, and clerk of the Board of Supervisors of Warren county in 1875, '80, '83 and '84.

When Mr. Cunningham came here in 1854, George Richards was a practicing attorney here. He had always been here, he and his brother, Samuel T. Richards, being extensively engaged in lumber interests. George Richards lived here until 1866 or 1868. He is now is the custom house at Rouse's Point. About 1870 Randolph McNutt did a little legal practice here. He moved away about 1880.

Page 596

Physicians. - Dr. E. W. Howard, longer in Warrensburgh than any living physician, was born January 2d, 1808, in Fort Anne, Washington county. He received his general education mainly in common and graded schools. He began his medical studies in April, 1830, under Dr. Nelson Porter, of Fort Anne. In the summer of 1832 and the following winter he studied in the office of Dr. Fletcher Ransom, of Glens Falls. He attended, also, three courses of lectures at Castleton, Vt., and was graduated from that institution in December, 1833. Thereupon he commenced practicing in the town of Queensbury, four miles north of Glens Falls. He came to Warrensburgh in April, 1837. From 1838 to the spring of 1867 he lived in the house now occupied by Captain F. A. Farlin. At the latter date he removed to his present residence.

Dr. Louie Charette was born about June, 1820, at Leech Lake in Minnesota, then called the Northwest Territory. In the fall of 1841 he was graduated at the Albany Medical College, and at once began to practice in Bolton. He came to Warrensburgh in 1854.

Dr. Daniel B. Howard, son to Dr. E. W. Howard, was born in Warrensburgh January 17th, 1841. He studied medicine with his father, and was graduated from the Albany Medical College on the 7th of December, 1865. He has practiced ever since that time with his father.

Dr. W. D. Aldrich was born in Thurman on January 15th, 1851. He received his medical education in the medical department of Dartmouth College, being graduated November 1st, 1871. He began to practice in Stony Creek, but moved to Warrensburgh in 1878.

Dr. D. E. Spoor was born in Hartland, Niagara county, N. Y., in 1846. He studied medicine in Medina, and received his diploma from Hanneman Medical College in Chicago in 1878. He started his practice in Orleans county, coming from there to this county in September, 1881. He came to Warrensburg in April, 1884.

Contact Us | ©1998-2007 Warren County: Genealogy and History