Warren County, New York
Genealogy and History

History of Warren County, H. P. Smith
Chapter XXV: History of the Patent and Town of Queensbury - Part 4

This transcription was produced through the use of Readiris Pro 11 OCR software. Contributed by Tim Varney.

"The Page 400 original survey of the township contemplated the location of the village at the Half-way Brook, where the existing clearings and buildings offered a strong inducement to the first settlers to locate their houses. Here the town plot was laid out, ranging due north and south. The lots were of ten acres each and forty-four in number, beside the road ways four rods in width, surrounding the whole an eight rod road in each directing, bisecting the plot into four equal sections. Four central lots at these angles were reserved for church and school purposes and for public buildings. Either half to the east and west was also divided by a north and south road four rods in width.

"It is needless to say that no settlement was ever established here, and that Champlain's tannery, and the Pitcher tavern occupying the site just north of the Half-way Brook, upon which a brick house now stands, are the nearest approach to public buildings erected on the site of the projected village, after the original survey by Zaccheus Towner in 1762. The old Pitcher tavern was a place of considerable note in those days when every log hut was an inn, and every framed dwelling a hotel. It was kept by Jonathan Pitcher, whose name frequently appears in the town records, chiefly in connection with matters pertaining to the excise law, on two occasions he being excused by a vote of the people from paying his license.

"Harrisena is a neighborhood at the north part of the town, and derives its name from the original founders of the settlement. The region comprising this somewhat vaguely defined locality includes some of the most fertile and productive farming lands in the county of Warren. The Harrisena Patent proper embraced two thousand acres of land, and was originally conveyed to Robert Harpur and others, but the grant for some cause was surrendered to the crown and reissued in 1772 to John Lawrence, Henry Boel and Stephen Tuttle, who relinquished or sold their title to Moses Harris. He, with another brother, settled upon it in 1787, and in the following January obtained certificates of location of the same, with several other rights or claims, embracing in all a territory of between three and four thousand acres. At about the same time Joshua Harris secured certificates of location for four lots of two hundred acres each in the same vicinity. These lands have mostly remained in the hands of the Harris family and their descendants to the present day. The first house erected here was a log tenement, built near a spring about ten rods southeast of the Rufus Harris place. Joseph Harris was the first settler, and moved here about the year 1784. The next was a framed house and was built for Moses Harris by John Phettyplace. It stood near the site occupied by the Henry Harris homestead. This wealthy and thriving agricultural district has in the course of years become thickly and compactly settled, for a farming region, possessing admirable public schools, two churches, one of which has a settled pastor; its ailments cared for by a resident physician; many of its wants provided for and supplied by home mechanics; while bordering upon the bays and points jutting Page 401 in and out around the head of Lake George are several pleasant and attractive places of resort, where travelers, invalids, pleasure seekers, business men, worn out with the wearying and incessant round of business cares, repair year by year in constantly increasing numbers, for that rest and recuperation so difficult to find among the hot, crowded thoroughfares of our fashionable resorts and summer watering places.

"Five miles to the north of the village of Glens Falls, on the road to Harrisena, is situated a small settlement, which, for upwards of fifty years, has borne in local colloquial phrase the name of the Oneida. The attempt has been made to call it Northville and Middleville, but no effort to shake off the former appellation has been successful. About the time of the last war with England this was a place of considerable importance, having two good sized and well patronized inns, three stores doing a quite extensive trade, a large lumbering business, in connection with adjacent mills, various mechanic shops, and a Baptist church and society. Here two noted justices of the peace, Dan D. Scott and James Henderson, held their weekly and august tribunals, at which as many as one hundred and seventy summonses, besides criminal processes and subpoenas have been made returnable in one day. Every Saturday, sometimes oftener, from fifty to two hundred people assembled here to listen to the encounter of argument, the brilliant collision of wit and repartee, and the splendid oratory of that gifted and eloquent array of legal talent which then graced the bar or Warren and Washington counties.

"The first house at the Oneida was erected by Joshua Chase about the year 1793. The name was derived from a half-breed Oneida Indian by the name of Thomas Hammond. He, with his sister Dinah, were brought up by Capt. Green, of Whipple City, now Greenwich, Washington county, N. Y. Some little time previous to the outbreak of the war he removed to Queensbury, and opened a store of general merchandise in a building which is still standing on the corner opposite and fronting the old tavern stand; and here, for a number of years, he was engaged in carrying on a considerable trade, mixed up to some extent with the lumbering business. From the oft repeated expressions, 'Let's go up to the Oneida's,' 'I bought this at the Oneida's,' 'We must send down to the Oneida's,' was derived the name which through the vicissitudes of half a century has clung like a burr to the settlement. Hammond married Keziah, a sister of James Reynolds, of Caldwell. Pursued by the red man's curse, an unappeasable appetite for the terrible fire-water, he finally failed in business, removed to French Mountain, and died an inebriate and outcast. Since then the magnificent pine forests which once stretched their serried ranks across plain and hill side, from the lake to the Kingsbury line, have been cut down, the local traffic has diminished, and the importance of the settlement decreased.

"The Ridge, or Sanford's ridge, is a name applied to a thickly settled farming Page 402 district, stretching a distance of three or four miles along a crest of rich, arable land beginning about two miles north of Glens Falls village, and terminating beyond the town line on the east. Toward the close of the last century this was a settlement of greater size and importance than the village at the Falls. At that time there were two stores, a tavern, several mechanic shops and two physicians. In the year 1800 the Quaker church was built on the corners two miles north of the village. The first settler at the Ridge was Elijah Bartow who plied his trade as a blacksmith on what is known as the Gould Sanford farm. He lived in a log house near by. One of the first framed houses in the neighborhood was built and occupied by James Tripp on the site now covered by the residence of Joseph Haviland. Abraham Tucker about the same time built on the farm southwest of the Quaker church. This neighborhood derived its name from David Sanford, esq., who, in 1795, removed from the town of New Milford, Conn., to Queensbury and established himself in trade at this point. For the next ten years he was prominently identified with the business interests of the town, and the development of its resources. He was frequently chosen to office, and up to the time of his death was a man of mark and consideration."

Returning now to the subject of the early settlements in the town and the incidents and enterprises connected therewith, we may properly first make further mention of Benedick Brown, who was one of the original settlers and probably came into the town as early as 1772, as his name appears in the records as overseer of the poor in 1773. He had a family, the sons being named Valentine, George, Justus, Howgill, Silas, and Timothy. They were Quakers and at one period the descendants of the family were so numerous in the town, that a settlement between the outlet of Long Pond and Glens Falls was locally known as "Brown-town." Valentine Brown built the first saw-mill north of Glens Falls. He was grandfather of George Brown, now of Lake George (Caldwell). In this family was also Daniel V. Brown, a descendant in the fourth generation from Bededick; he was sheriff in the county from 1861 to 1864, previous to which date he had been supervisor. He was a prominent business man of Glens Falls and an active Democratic politician. He was drowned on the steamer Melville on the 8th of January, 1865, while on his way with Edward Riggs to South Carolina to procure volunteers or substitutes for the Queensbury quota in the anticipated draft. (See biography herein.)

Reed Ferriss, of Duchess county, was an early and intimate friend of Abraham Wing, the founder of Queensbury, and purchased a large tract in the original patent. One of his lots was upon the eastern border of the town. Mr. Ferriss was the founder of Ferrissbury, Vt., according to Dr. Holden. The outlet of the Big Cedar Swamp derived its name from him, being called in the early survey and records, Reed's Meadow Creek. After the Revolutionary War Mr. Ferriss came up the river every season to look after his interests here Page 403 and in Vermont. His eldest son was named Edward, was a hatter, and removed to Glens Falls about the year 1794, bringing with him about $500 in cash. At that time this was quite a fortune, and he was offered in exchange for it great lot number 29, of the original survey, now embracing the most thickly settled and valuable portion of the village of Glens Falls, and the offer was declined. Soon after his arrival here he bought the lot next north of the present Glens Falls Insurance building, on the rear of which he erected a hat shop, where he carried on business for a number of years; he also built other structures and gave considerable impetus to the early growth of the place. In 1798 he erected a tavern on the site of the present dwelling owned by A. Newton Locke, and in 1802 he began building the old Glens Falls Hotel on the site of the present Rockwell House. A year or two later he diverted the springs of water and the rivulet on the side-hill, now covered by the Glens Falls Opera House, into a shallow reservoir, making a fish pond in the rear of Albert Vermillia's market building; this was, for a period, one of the attractions of the place. Early in the century he erected the long known structure on Warren street, now owned by Mrs. Dr. Holden, which was subsequently variously designated as Ferriss's Row, the Tontine, the Long Row, Hemlock Row, and McGregor's Row. This structure was burned in 1856. Mr. Ferriss married first Parthenia, daughter of Dr. Seth Allen, and second, her sister Hannah.

John A. Ferriss was a son of Edward and one of the leading men of Glens Falls. He was the first postmaster of the village, was president of the village in 1839 and held other positions of trust. He formerly carried on business on the corner of Warren and Glen streets, on the site of what is now the Holden block, and was recognized throughout the county as public-spirited and enterprising, commanding the respect of all. He died in 1840. Han. Orange Ferriss, of whom a brief sketch is given in the chapter devoted to the legal profession, was a son of John A. Ferriss.

David Ferriss was an early settler in the town, but little is now known of him. According to Dr. Holden, "while yet there was little more than a bridle path from Glens Falls, then known as the Corners, to the Ridge, he settled on the farm now occupied by Isaac Mosher a little south of the Half-way Brook on the road to the Oneida, where he built him a log house, which he not long afterwards abandoned, and being of an adventurous turn, went west, where, after various adventures, he was finally accidentally drowned in the Mississippi, while running a raft of timber down that stream. The name of Widow Ferriss appears recorded on the town book for the year 1792."

Of the Gilchrist families of Glens Falls and Fort Edward the same writer says that "the ancestor of the American branch came to this country shortly prior to the Revolution, and was the head of this which, among many Scotch families, in those early days, took up tracts of land in and about Argyle, Hebron Page 404 and Fort Edward. The heir in the direct line failed for want of issue something over forty years ago. During Burgoyne's advance in the Revolution, and while his force lay encamped at Kingsbury street, the Gilchrist homestead with its family bible and records was burned by a party of marauding Indians. Other outrages and atrocities were perpetrated in the same neighborhood by the same gang. A single link in the chain of evidence necessary to establish the proof of heirship was thus destroyed, and so the estate with its immense revenues lapsed to the crown, and Queen Victoria makes it her summer residence. A striking instance of the value of a perfect family record."

In the year 1795 David Sanford, son of Zachariah and Rachel Sanford, removed to Sanford's Ridge, in this town. He was born in 1769. At Sanford's Ridge he engaged in mercantile business in which he was very successful His name appears as town clerk in the years 1802-3. He received the deed of lot No. 12 of the original survey, from George Southwick and Justus Brown. Mr. Sanford married Amy Hartwell, and was the father of George Sanford, who was horn at Sanford's Ridge in 1805. The father died when George was but seven years old, hut he assumed at an early age the management of the homestead and the care of his mother and several sisters. When he became of age he formed a co-partnership with Orlin Mead, his brother-in-law, in the lumber business, while that traffic was in its infancy; the firm also carried on a large mercantile trade in Glens Falls. He was an active politician, held the office of supervisor and represented the county in the Legislature in 1841. He was one of the founders of the Glens Falls Academy, and one of its earliest trustees; also one of the corporators of the Episcopal Church in the village, in 1840. In 1850 he removed to Ballston Spa, and a few years later to Syracuse, where he died in 1862.

Peter B. Tearse, whose name appears as Assemblyman from 1786 to 1789, then a resident of Fort Edward, and who was town moderator of Queensbury in 1795, was a man of prominence in the Revolution; he was adjutant while stationed at Fort Edward at the time of Burgoyne's advance, and major in the regiment of Colonel Marinus Willet in 1777. Soon after the Revolution he settled at Fort Edward and married Polly Hunter, granddaughter of Mrs. McNeil, who owned an immense landed property valued even in those days at more than eighty thousand dollars. In 1798 Mr. Tearse was chosen one of the town assessors and also held other minor offices. About the beginning of the century he removed to the head of Lake George, and erected the first building on the site now occupied by the stone store in Caldwell. Here he carried on a trade in general merchandise. He also owned an ashery for the manufacture of potash at the foot of the hill near his store and on the bank of the lake at the north side of the brook. His success was not commensurate with his enterprise, which was at least half a century in advance of the age in which he lived. Attracted by the newly discovered mineral waters of Ballston, Page 405 he removed thither, where he soon after died (in the year 1802), and where his remains now lie buried in an unknown and unhonored grave.

John Vernor's name appears frequently in the town records from 1795 to 1802. He was a merchant and inn-keeper at the head of Lake George early in the century and probably before that date, as it is on record that he was chairman of a public meeting of the citizens from various towns of Washington county, held at the house of Colonel Joseph Caldwell, of Kingsbury, on the 25th of February, 1793, at which Dr. Zina Hitchcock was nominated as the Federal candidate for the Senate. He was one of the earliest commissioned magistrates in the county, having been appointed February 24th, 1791. He was quartermaster in the Thirteenth Regiment from the Saratoga district, of which John McCrea was colonel, all of whose officers were commissioned October 20th, 1775. John Vernor died December 1st, 1825, at the age of eighty. His son, John, jr., died in 1822, aged fifty-one.

One of the leading men of the town in early times was William Hay, born in Cambridge, Washington county, in the year 1790. He was related to Colonel Udney Hay, who was prominent in the Revolution. About the beginning of the century his father, also named William, came to Glens Falls, embarked in the lumber business and erected a store, the first building on the corner of Glen and Warren streets, now occupied by the Holden block. For a time he was very successful, but ultimately met with reverses and his property passed in to the hands of others. During these reverses the son succeeded in acquiring an education, and in 1808 was studying law in the office of Henry C. Martindale, in this village. In 1812-13 he opened a law office at the head of Lake George. He raised a rifle company and in 1814 proceeded to Plattsburg, but did not arrive in time to take part in the battle. In 1819 he became the publisher of the Warren Patriot, the first and only regular newspaper ever published at Lake George. In 1822 he removed to Glens Falls and resumed the practice of law. In 1827 he was elected to the Assembly. In 1837 he removed to Ballston and three years later to Saratoga Springs, where he died a few years later. He held the office of district attorney of Warren county in 1825-27 and was otherwise honored by his fellow citizens. He was possessed of fine literary abilities, broad general information and was a deep student.

Adonijah Emmons was a pioneer of the town and held the office of postmaster at Glens Falls in 1816; he also practiced law and was an active and influential politician. He subsequently removed to Sandy Hill and published a partisan paper, the Sandy Hill Sun. He died in 1843 in Detroit, whither he removed his family in 1838. Halmer H. Emmons was his son - a man of eminence in the legal profession, and United States Circuit judge in 1870.

The name of William McDonald occupies a conspicuous place in the annals of the town. He was born in New Milford, Conn., in 1784. His mother Page 406 was Mary, sister of David Sanford, before mentioned. Mr. McDonald came to the town when he was eight years old, but returned to New Milford to secure a business education. He again came to Queensbury in 1799 and entered the employ of his uncle, David Sanford, as bookkeeper and accountant and soon had the full management of the large mercantile business. About 1805 he purchased his uncle's interest in the store and continued trade until 1808, when he removed to Waterford. Here he carried on a large business until 1820, when he returned to the Ridge and resumed trade at the old place. Three years later he disposed of his stock, removed to Glens Falls and soon afterward bought the old Wing farm; he enlarged and rebuilt the unfinished dwelling, making a spacious mansion, which he occupied until his death, September 11th, 1870. Mr. McDonald held the office of town clerk as early as 1802-3; in 1821 he was nominated for the Assembly and overcame by his personal strength and popularity the opposition candidate, Asahel Clark, a man of great prominence. In the succeeding session Mr. McDonald was chiefly instrumental in securing a survey and appropriation for the Glens Falls feeder. He was elected the next year, only seventeen votes being cast against him; and was again elected in 1828. He was the first president of the old Commercial Bank, vestryman of the Episcopal Church at its formation, and received many other evidences of the confidence of the community.

Among other prominent early settlers of whom our mention here must be brief, was Dr. Seth Alden, of Shaftsbury, Vt., where he was born as early as 1749. He died at Fort Edward in 1809, or 1810, having removed there just previously. He practiced at Caldwell from the date of his removal from Shaftsbury (now unknown, but very early) until he left for Fort Edward, and was eminent in the profession. He is said to have been the first occupant of the old Lake House at Caldwell. (1)

Dr. Asa Stower, of Massachusetts, the pioneer of the medical profession in the country, came here in 1780, first making his home with William Robards at the Ridge. He subsequently bought a farm, lately occupied by Joseph Haviland, and later sold it and purchased the one now occupied by Anson Staples, where he passed the remainder of his days. He died May 25th, 1848. (1)

1. See chapter on the medical profession.

Two brothers, John and Robert Moon, emigrated to this town from Rhode Island about 1783; but little is known of the former, but Robert settled on the outlet of Long Pond, where he built a saw-mill and the first grist-mill in use in the town after the Revolutionary War. He had three sons, Solomon, Robert and Benjamin, who lived near each other and carried on the mills and farming business after their father's death.

Parsons Ranger was here before the beginning of the century; his son, Samuel Ranger, was born in the town in 1796. He built the first Presbyterian Page 407 Church in the town in 1806-8, the original subscription paper for which remains in the hands of his descendants. (See history of the Presbyterian Church and original subscription list, presumably embracing most of the residents of the vicinity at the beginning of the century.)

Stephen Stephenson came into this town about the year 1785 and settled on the Dunham's Bay road, where he made a small clearing and erected a log house. At that time there were only eighteen families residing in the whole town. His daughter Emma became the wife of John Goss.

Phineas Austin was a very early settler, and father of John D. Austin, who was born here in 1786. John Austin, now a resident of the town, is a son of John D. His grandmother died here in 1856, at the age of one hundred and two years.

Josiah Burnham settled in Moreau in 1784, and subsequently came to this town. He was in the War of 1812 and drew a pension for his services. He married a granddaughter of the elder Abraham Wing. His son was Cyrus Burnham, who was the father of Glen F. and Julius R. Burnham, at present residing in the town.

Reuben Numan came to the town with his parents when he was fourteen, (1792), and located at the Ridge. Charles P. Numan, a farmer in the town, is a son of Reuben.

The Haviland families have been identified with the history of the town from early years, and descendants now occupy prominent positions, business and otherwise, in the community. Roger Haviland settled here as early as 1795, when he occupied a house which stood facing the south street at the turn of the road leading to the big dam; this house was burned about 1858. Roger Haviland afterward removed to the Ridge. Abraham Haviland was a resident of the town, also, previous to the beginning of the century, and had a blacksmith shop on the site of George Ferguson's store in Glens Falls. He had a son named John G. Haviland, who had a son, John M. The latter was father of John G. Haviland, now a member of the firm of Havilands & Gilbert. The elder Roger Haviland had sons named David, Solomon, Joseph and Roger. A son of the latter, also named Roger, was father of C. W. Haviland, of the firm just named. Four branches of the family, all descended from Roger, the pioneer, are represented in the town.

John Vanduzen came to the town in 1785. Robert Vanduzen, now living near French Mountain, at the age of ninety-four years, with his son Ransom, is a son of John.

Augustin Odell was the pioneer of the families of that name in this town. His name appears first in the town records in 1788.

Other early settlers were Job Beadlestone, who came during the Revolutionary War and located near Harrisena. His daughter, Phebe Ann, married Veniah Harris; the latter was a grandson of Moses Harris, the pioneer, and Page 408 son of Henry Harris. Palmer B. Jenkins settled in the town before the beginning of the century, coming with his father, Simeon. Gamaliel Jenkins, of Harrisena, is a son of Palmer B. Jonathan Crandell came in at about the beginning of the century. Isaac Crandell, the florist at Glens Falls, is a grandson of Jonathan. Col. A. W. Morgan came to the town in 1813 and learned the harness-maker's trade with Judge Henry Spencer. In 1835 he purchased eleven acres of land, covering the central part of the site of the village of Glens Falls, for $800; this he laid out into lots and sold, continuing the real estate business until 1870. He laid out several of the village streets. He now lives on a farm two miles north of Glens Falls.

The names of many other early settlers and prominent men of this town will appear in succeeding pages, in connection with the professional, mercantile and manufacturing interests of the county.

A conspicuous figure among the early settlers and one well remembered by them was that of the Indian preacher known as Father Paul. According to tradition he was a pure blooded Mohican, a connection of the great Indian preacher, Sampson Occum, and a pupil of the Rev. Eleazer Wheelock. Father Paul came to Queensbury soon after the close of the Revolutionary War, removed to Caldwell, and later to Bolton, the "principal theatre of his ministerial labors." He had six children: James, Phebe, Jonathan (called Daunt), Benoni, Henry, and Sampson. The children were all a dissipated, worthless set, scoffers at religion and social restraints, "given over to reprobate minds." Sampson Paul's name appears in Judge Robard's docket, in 1802, as defendant in a lawsuit; and Anthony Paul himself is recorded as defendant in a suit March 18th, 1805, in which David Osborn, jr., merchant, is plaintiff. Father Paul was duly licensed to preach, and being the only person thus qualified who had then made a home with the settlers hereabouts, he was invited to address them on the Sabbaths on the themes of religion. He did so and they were edified. He shared with them their joys, he buried their dead, and consoled them in their afflictions, but the appetite which had wrought its evil work upon his race was the subject of his indulgence and effected his ruin. He became a confirmed drunkard; he was, consequently, discarded as a public teacher, and departed with so little regret to the neighborhood that no record is left of his decease. He is described by one who saw him before his downfall as being universally beloved and deserving it. "His broad, high-cheeked, copper-colored face was spread over with an habitual smile of benevolence, and when, at times, lit up with zeal, he opened his mouth with words of kindness, and showed a broad row of beautiful teeth, the whole countenance was actually beautiful. He had his weakness and we know it; but he was good to us, and so he got his daily bread among us and ministered from house to house and on the Sabbath in holy things, etc. etc. At length Father Paul went from us, whether falling a victim to his debasing habit, dying in a poor-house, or escaping Page 409 in some distant haunt among his countrymen, I could never learn. The general belief was that be died alone; that he built a hut far down the lake, just below The Narrows, and where the beetling cliffs of Tongue Mountain almost shut up the passage, and there subsisted by fishing and hunting, until a kind Providence granted him his release."

We have already alluded to the settlement in Queensbury of William Robards. His son, William, jr., was for a number of years early in the century in the Commission of the Peace and later was promoted to the bench. The following list of marriages performed by him throws considerable light upon the residents of this region in early days. We give merely the names of the contracting parties, without the often quaint accompanying remarks found in the docket: -

November 19th, 1801, George Bates and Mary Beadleston. December 30th, 1801, Reuben Seelye and Cynthia Odel, both of Queensbury. May 2d, 1802, Waterbury Gray and Betsy Stone, "Betsy of Queensbury and Gray of Westchester county." September 5th, 1802, John Goss and Emma Stevenson; Goss was from Fort Ann, (Westfield.) September 21st, 1802, John A. Ferriss and Hannah Alden. October 31st, 1802, Jonathan Strickland and Katy Hubbel. November 16th, 1802, John Amiden and Rachel Sumner. January 2d, 1803, William D. Harris and Sina Chandler. August 12th, 1803, Luke Dalrymple and Susanna Jenkins, married at the house of Joseph Jenkins, in Queensbury. August 14th, 1803, Azel Stevens and Polly Tyrrell; married at Peter Peck's, Queensbury. August 28th, 1803, Seneca Lapham and Rachel Allen. September 11th, 1803, Dexter Whipple and Rebecca Danforth, married at Joshua Danforth's. October 23d, 1803, Enoch Haskins and Anna Hill, married at Anson Comstock's, Queensbury. October 28th, 1803, Joseph Jenkins and Judah Bailey, "married at my house, Free Agents." November 20rh, 1803, Edmund Peck and Sally Ranger, "was then married at Person Ranger's." November 24th, 1803, Jeremiah Tubbs and Sybil Odel. May 21st, 1804, Isaac Hollibird and Charlotte Parks. May 25th, 1804, Henry Harris and Margaret Brown. June 24th, 1804, Benjamin Seelye and Anna Haight. July 4th, 1805, Schuyler Brown and Lydia Simpson, married at the house of Elnathan Sanford. August 18th, 1805, Samuel Sherman and Peggy Thompson, married at the house of Samuel Thompson. September 8th, 1805, Joseph Winslow and Polly Wells. November 24th, 1805, William Tripp and Hannah Mead. March 26th, 1806, Thomas Hammon and Keziah Reynolds, married at the house of Solomon Reynolds. May 10th, 1806, James Robertson and Martha Van Kleek. September 21st, 1806, Amos Irish and Vina Harris: and Daniel Peck and Tenty Sisson, married at the house of N. Sisson. September 12th, 1807, Jacob Odel, jr., and Phebe Brown; and Clark Jenkins and Rebekah Smith, at the same time and place.

It is probable that this list embraces a large majority of the marriages in Page 410 the town during the period referred to, and most of the parties were among early residents of Queensbury, and many of them became prominent. William Robards, jr., died March 27th, 1820, at the age of forty-two years. He is buried in the little enclosure at the Round Pond. In his docket is a record which goes to show that he looked with little favor upon the evil of intoxication. It reads as follows: -

"Washington county. Be it remembered that on the 10th day of September in the year of our Lord 1805 . . . was convicted before me Wm. Robards one of the Justices of the Peace in and for the County aforesaid on my view for being drunk in the town of Queensbury in said county on the day aforesaid. Given under my hand and seal the day and year above written."

This was followed by other entries of a similar character. The convictions become of some importance when we remember that they were adjudged at a time when intoxication was not considered the exception to general good conduct, as at the present time.

It will have been seen by the foregoing pages that with the opening of the century, settlement had rapidly progressed in this town; and before the end of the first decade, the tide had turned to a great extent from the flat, alluvial lands of the "Genesee country," which were gaining a reputation for unhealthiness, northward along the old military road and the newer forest pathways, where not half a century before armies were marching and countermarching, leaving battle-fields behind them as mementoes of their sanguinary strife. Glens Falls was then a thriving hamlet and settlers had located in many other parts of the town, while the sites of the now populous cities of Syracuse, Rochester, Cleveland and Cincinnati were almost uninhabited wastes. The vast pine forests hereabouts offered irresistible attractions to hardy lumbermen, and the almost unlimited water power turned the numerous wheels of mammoth sawmills on every hand. (1) Spafford's Gazetteer of New York, published in 1813, says in reference to Glens Falls at that time: "On the north shore [of the Hudson] are 2 saw-mills, the one a gang mill with 21 saws, a trip hammer, and a very valuable grain mill, with 4 running stones is now building on the site of the old one, by Gen. Pettit, the enterprising proprietor of the other mills." And the same work further says upon this topic, that there were twenty-three saw-mills in active operation in the town of Queensbury in 1810, six of which were located on the outlet of the "Great Pond." Large quantities of lumber were also manufactured at that date in Luzerne and Hadley, which was drawn around the "Big Falls," rafted down to the Bend, taken out and drawn overland Page 411 to Fort Edward, where it was again made into rafts and floated to market; all of this created an era of activity unusual in settlements no older than this.

1. Rev. Dr. Dwight traveled through this region in 1798, and thus expressed himself: "Thursday, Oct. 4, 1798, we left Sandy Hill, and rode two miles and a half up the Hudson, to see the cataract, called, from a respectable man living in the neighborhood, Glen's Falls. Almost immediately above the cataract is erected a dam eight or ten feet in height for the accommodation of a long train of mills on the north, and a small number on the south bank." In contrast with this is what the same observer wrote in 1811: "At Fort Edward, Sandy Hill and Glen's Falls, there are three handsome villages, greatly improved in every respect since my last journey through this region."

In all new communities the principal business of town officers is the laying out of roads and improving those already opened. Highways are almost the first and prime necessity of the pioneers. The town records of Queensbury for the first quarter of a century after its existence as a town are largely comprised of road statistics - too voluminous for us to attempt their reproduction. Reference has already been made to the several earliest roads. In 1796 we find record of a "road beginning at the north end of a piece of land sold by James Ferriss to Nehemiah Platt, beginning upon the town line between Kingsbury and Queensbury, and running south," etc. In the same year is recorded the opening of a "road beginning at the center of what is called the four corners by Benjamin Wing's store, and running," etc. This was surveyed by Reuben Beck. Another began "at the crotch of the roads south of Josiah Vernor's store." In 1806 the road districts were somewhat altered by Joel Winship and Henry Spencer, as commissioners, and a new district formed. Three new roads were opened in that year, while in the year 1802 there were about twelve roads laid out; in 1803 fifteen, and so on. In 1808 there were twenty-seven road districts; in 1842 thirty-nine.

In 1813 the first newspaper in Warren county, always the accompaniment of industrial enterprise and vigorous growth, was started at Glens Falls, as the reader has already learned in the pages devoted to the press of the county. In that year the county was organized, and general prosperity and thrift prevailed on every hand. Other industries sprang into existence; a cotton factory was established, of which John A. Ferriss and a Mr. Gould, of Albany, were proprietors. Here cotton yarn was merely spun at first and distributed to the busy housewives, who wove it into cloth. With the war prices of that period, "factory cloth" commanded from fifty to seventy-five cents a yard. About 1830 looms were introduced and cloth was made for exportation. The factory, which stood on the south side of the river, was burned in 1832. Dr. Bethuel Peck had charge of this business for a number of years. (1)

1. Bethuel Peck was son of Daniel Peck, who was originally from New Hampshire and was a Revolutionary soldier. Dr. Holden says: "It is not known with certainty what causes led the subject of this sketch to Glens Falls, but it is believed that he was brought along by some of the return gangs of raftsmen, who, in the early days of the settlement here, rafted the lumber to market down the Hudson River. He acted for a time as office boy for Dr. Levi Rugg, with whom he then continued the study of medicine, and after attending lectures at Fairfield, N. Y., he received his diploma. He was elected to the State Senate in 1839 for a term of four years. He afterwards erected a brick building in Glens Falls, to which he gave the name of 'the Glens Falls Druggist,' and, associated with Dr. Mr. R. Peck, carried on that business for a number of years. He died July 11th, 1862."

A distillery, also, was in operation at this early day. It was run by a man named Pease, who subsequently removed to Vermont, according to the memory of early inhabitants. Such an establishment was needed in olden times, when whisky was consumed in a large majority of families, and no public occasion was considered as properly conducted without a supply of spirits.

Page 412

Wool-carding and cloth-dressing were carried on "on the east side of the north end of the bridge," by Forbes & Gookin, Messrs. White & Winston being proprietors.

All this indicates clearly the general thrift and progress, when the country was again stirred by mutterings of war. It was but natural that this region should be affected by the approaching struggle, and enlistments began in the county, while general industrial progress and the advancement of settlement was for a time checked.

A fac simile of one number of the early newspaper mentioned is in existence. It consists of four pages, each about four by seven inches. The subscription price was $1.50 a year. In this number (dated September 23d, 1813) is a call for volunteers (as detailed in the preceding general county history of that period); a sheriff's writ against the personal property and title to lot 19, in the town of Athol, belonging to David Cook; the announcement that the first and second squadrons of cavalry (Seventh Regiment) would parade at Fort Miller Falls on the 28th; the marriage notice of Jonathan M'Comber, of Queensbury, and Lydia Newton, of Kingsbury, by Daniel D. Scott, esq.; and several advertisements. Miss Rice returns thanks for the liberal support of her school at Glens Falls and announces its removal to the second floor of the academy. "Terms of tuition, two dollars per quarter." Forbes & Gookin advertise "cotton carding done at the cloth factory of White & Winston, on the cast side of the bridge at Glenns Falls." Avery Benedict advertises his drug store, and adds that "Saratoga and Ballston Mineral Waters are constantly kept." The regular meeting of the Mechanical Association is announced to be "held at John Derby's hotel; H. Spencer, 2d, secretary." Other marriages noticed were those of Joseph S. Winston to Jane Ann Lewis; William Tierce to Sally Stewart; John Velie to Hannah Brown, and Joel Dean to Susan Brown. The only editorial is devoted to a bitter criticism of the war. The following is a characteristic extract from it: -

"What then is at this moment our real situation? At the end of two campaigns, which have been attended with an expense of more than $80,000,000, and of more than 10,000 lives; at the expiration of two years of war - of a war whose avowed object was the conquest of the Canadas, of a Country containing less than one-fourteenth our population, we find ourselves, through the valor of our generous seamen, in possession of Lake Erie and of two inconsiderable forts."

Notwithstanding "war prices" and the general effects of a war era, local improvements were not neglected and settlement soon regained its former activity. The lumbering interest was developed to a marvelous business and furnished a majority of those who became prominent and wealthy citizens with the means for their material advancement. Mercantile establishments multiplied and domestic manufactures increased as the demands of the town Page 413 grew in extent, and few localities in the State gave better promise for the future. At the time when the resources of the State were so materially advanced through the building of the Erie and the Northern, or Champlain, Canals Glens Falls was one of the most populous and thrifty villages in northern New York, and the town at large partook of the same prosperity. The construction of the Glens Falls Feeder was a source of congratulation and satisfaction not only in this town, but throughout the county; it brought cheap and convenient means of transportation directly to the doors of the village and gave an impetus to all industries. Boats passed through the feeder in 1830; but it was not finished in its present dimensions until 1832. (1)

1. "It affords us much gratification to announce to the inhabitants of this county, that a canal boat passed safely through the thirteen locks in the Glens Falls Feeder; a number of gentlemen from Sandy Hill and this place availed themselves of a passage on the boat, to witness a sight which had long been desired hut which they had almost relinquished the hope of beholding. The prospect of this work being finished cannot fail of proving a matter of much rejoicing to this county, as a navigable feeder is of deep importance to its present as well as its future prosperity. From an examination of the locks we confidently expect in a few days to have the pleasure of announcing an uninterrupted passage from and to this place, which, if finally accomplished, cannot hut reflect credit on Colonel Sherwood, under whose superintendence it has been effected." - Warren County Messenger, Nov. 4, 1830.

So important was this water-way considered that weekly arrivals and departures of boats were chronicled in the press, and there was a general feeling of relief from the former restricted commercial situation. Transportation companies were formed and a heavy business transacted in this line.

It was about this time, also, that the inhabitants of the county first had their hopes raised by the project of building a railroad from Saratoga Springs to Glens Falls. It is quite probable that this enterprise was a direct result of the building of the feeder; one successful project of this character is very apt to lead to others. Under date of January 25th, 1831, the following notice appeared in the Messenger: -

"Notice of application to Legislature to incorporate the subscribers and their associates as a company to make a railroad from Saratoga Springs to Glens Falls with the privilege of extending the same to the head of Lake George and also from the outlet of Lake George to Lake Champlain.
"John Baird,
"Peter B. Threehouse."

It was more than thirty-five years later before Warren county was given railroad communication with the distant world; but the community was continually awakened during that period with announcements similar to the above. In the absence of swifter transportation, a line of stages was put on about this time to run between Glens Falls and Troy. The stages made trips on alternate days for some time.

During this same period and, indeed, for some years later, wolves and panthers were still being slain within the limits of the county, if not in this town. The newspapers chronicled in 1837 the destruction of an old panther and two Page 414 young ones in Johnsburgh, and another was killed on the shore of Lake George in Bolton about the same time.

The financial crisis in 1837 was greatly felt in this region and many were brought from wealth to penury, through the weakness of commercial credit and general depreciation of every kind of security. Prices of the necessaries of life advanced enormously; money was very scarce and a period of financial distress ensued from which recovery was the process of several years.

From this time on to the present, the annals of the town reflect a steady, healthful growth in all material directions, as will be seen, with only the shadow of the great Rebellion, which for five years overwhelmed the entire country. Of this momentous struggle we have given a general account, as it relates to the county at large; and fortunately, before it became impossible, Dr. Holden accumulated most valuable statistics of the part taken in the war by the town of Queensbury, which here find their appropriate place.

"With the tidings of the fall of Fort Sumter, a call was made, numerously signed by citizens of the village, irrespective of party, for a public meeting at Numan's Hall, a building which stood on what is now mostly a vacant space, between Cosgrove Music Hall, and the Glens Falls Opera House. A large and enthusiastic meeting, presided over by the Hon. Keyes P. Cool, resolved that this community should do its share and be fully represented in the coming struggle. Two persons, namely, the writer of this book (1) and Mr. George Clendon received authorizations from the adjutant-general of the State to raise companies in response the first call of the president for volunteers. The ranks were speedily filled and the companies mustered for service by Colonel H. K. Colvin of the Thirty-first New York Militia. They were joined by another company (I) of stalwart men from the north part of Warren and Essex counties. These three companies received the honors of an ovation given them by the citizens of the village, a purse was made up and given to each company, and they "were escorted to Fort Edward by the fire department of the place. The same day they reached the military rendezvous at Troy, where in due time they consolidated, as Companies E and F, with other companies from the neighborhood and formed the Twenty-second Regiment N. Y. Vols. under the command of Colonel Walter Phelps, jr., of Glens Falls. It subsequently formed a part of the famous Iron Brigade of the First Division, and First Army Corps. (2) (See military chapter for history of the Twenty-second Regiment.)

1. Dr. A. W. Holden.

2. "With the first enlistment of two years' volnnteers , as there was no bounty, either local, State or general, offered, recruits were backward in offering their services, until guarantees were given that in case of their death or disability their families should be provided for. This assurance was met by two subscription papers amounting to about ten thousand dollars each. Of this sum nearly one-half was collected and disbursed; the bounty system then coming in, dispensed with the need of any further assessments or collections."

"From that time forward, scattering recruits from Queensbury were Continually Page 415 pouring to the front, filling the ranks of the regular army, supplying deficient quotas from other sections of the State and county at large.

"With the progress of the war, (1) and its prospective continuance, new calls were made, new levies demanded. The question was no longer one of patriotism, the claim was obligatory, its effect compulsory; month by month new regiments were raised, and new companies furnished. Nearly an entire company of Glens Falls boys was recruited for a District of Columbia regiment.

1. "One of the early efforts of the war was tile issue of vast volumes of paper currency which speedily became known as greenbacks. A counter result was the almost immediate withdrawal from circulation of the specie of the country even to the copper and nickel issue. The consequence was, a great temporary distress for the want of small change. The country was flooded in a few weeks with a bogus brass currency, composed of tradesmen's cards. Postage stamps for large and small amounts were temporarily used, and one enterprising manufacturer of nostrums went so far as to enclose them in metallic cases hearing the stamped names of the remedies. In this emergency, the corporate authorities of Glens Falls issued in the fall of 1862, what were known as corporation shinplasters, to the amount of $5,000, in denominations of fifty, twenty-five, ten and five cents. With the issue of postal currency by the general government, came a general law forbidding corporations or individuals from circulating such money, so it was called in and cancelled the following year."

Statement (October 20th, 1864) of the amount of fractional currency issued and redeemed by the village of Glens Falls and the expenses incurred in issuing the same: -

Whole amount of fractional currency issued$5,129.10
Interest accrued and deposits74.30
Bills redeemed.$4,703.05
Expense printing, etc.390.15
Leaving unredeemed$326.05

"The Ninety-first, Ninety-third, Ninety-sixth, One Hundred and Fifteenth, One Hundred and Eighteenth, One Hundred and Twenty-fifth, One Hundred and Fifty-third, One Hundred and Fifty-sixth, One Hundred and Sixty-ninth and One Hundred and Ninety-second Regiments were represented by companies or detachments of Glens Falls volunteers, while scattering representatives might have been found in half the regiments of the State, and every branch of the service. After the boys in blue began to return home from expired enlistments, many of them reentered the army, resolved to see the thing through. In this way what was known as the veteran regiments were speedily filled out and returned to do good service in the war. In this way the Second New York Veteran Cavalry, and Sixteenth New York Heavy Artillery received large accessions from this vicinity.

"The volunteer system of 1861 was found on brief trial to be entirely inadequate to the exigencies of the war. It took, however, a long time before all the machinery incidental to a new and hitherto untried system worked itself into thorough and harmonious operation. No quotas were assigned, and no records, coming within the scope of this article, were kept either by the State, or general government in that or the following years. It was not until March, 1863, that the general government made an enrollment, and through Page 416 its provost marshal in each Congressional District began its assignment of quotas. The following statistics appear on the files of the adjutant-general's department at Albany for the year 1862: -

Population of the town of Queensbury7,146
Number enrolled liable to military duty1,107
Number of exempts embraced in above return86
Number liable to draft1,021
Quota of Queensbury under the calls of July and August, 1862 (1)221
Number furnished to fill quota as above208
Deficit carried forward13

1. "The call in July was for three hundred thousand three years' men. The call in August was for three hundred thousand nine months' men. These two amounts were consolidated in one assignment and equalized, so that an enlistment for three years represented and was equivalent to four enlistments at nine months. There were but very few nine months' troops mustered from this State. The large proportion were three years' men."

"During that dark period of the Rebellion which preceded the emancipation proclamation, Governor Morgan appointed in each Senatorial District a committee of three gentlemen, who, in conjunction with sub-committees designated by them in each county, were known as the war committee, whose business seems to have been, without any specifically defined duties, to assist in making up the complement of troops required of each locality. The late Halsey R. Wing was the member who represented Queensbury on that committee, and very efficiently and patriotically did he discharge that duty, for, besides his time, his labor and his money, he gave his two sons, Edgar Murray and George Henry, as an offering upon the altar of his country.

"There at length came a time in our history when money had to be raised to pay bounties, in order to save the trouble and reproach of a draft. A special town meeting for this purpose was called on the 26th of July, 1864 (less than three months after the great fire which had burned out the heart of our village, and destroyed upwards of one million dollars worth of property) at which one hundred thousand dollars were voted to pay the volunteers. (2) Bonds were Page 417 issued representing this sum, and twice to its credit be it said, that these securities were all quickly taken at home, and have long since been canceled. At the town meeting referred to, the following gentlemen were chosen as a permanent war committee of the town, whose services, onerous, arduous and responsible, were continued to the end of the war, viz: Jerome Lapham, Halsey R. Wing, William A. Wait, I. J. Davis, George Conery, Lifelet Harris, F. A. Johnson, jr., Stephen Brown, R. M. Little.

2. Of this amount the Glens Falls Bank took shares amounting to $13,225, the Commercial Bank $16,400. The balance was taken by private parties, the Hon. Jerome Lapham alone bearing upwards of ten thousand dollars of the amount. The bonds were so apportioned that an equal proportion matured each year until they were all cancelled.

"Besides the amount already specified other sums were appropriated during the same year as appears by the following resolutions passed at the annual town meeting:

" 'Resolved, That there be raised $109.60 for to pay expenses in recruiting Capt. Fassett's company.
" 'Resolved, That there be raised $108.87 to pay expenses in recruiting Capt. Arlin's company.
" 'Resolved, That there be raised $106.42 to pay expenses in recruiting Capt. D. Cameron's company.
" 'Resolved, That there be raised $109.80 to pay George Conery and William Cosgrove for taking up a note drawn by M. W. Coville for recruiting purposes.
" 'Resolved, That there be raised $10354.73 to pay a note dated Dec. 20, 1862.
" 'Resolved, That there be raised $7,015 to pay a note drawn for bounty money.
" 'Resolved, That there be raised $1,890.12 to pay a note held by Jerome Lapham.
" 'Resolved, That there be levied and raised $4,845 to pay note in the Commercial Bank drawn by citizens for bounty of $300 each.
" 'Resolved, That there be raised $612.32 to pay note given to pay expenses of reception of 22d Regiment. '

"At a special town meeting held December 19th, 1864, the following resolutions were passed:

" 'Resolved, That the sum of $30,000 be raised by the town for the purpose of paying bounties into the military and naval service of the United States.
" 'Resolved, That this money be collected in five equal installments of $6,000 each with the amount of interest unpaid thereon.
" 'Resolved, That $2,467.76 be raised for the purpose of paying bounties.' "

"Most of these gentlemen gave a large per centage of their time to this undertaking. They offered bounties, and expended money to pay volunteers, sent agents both north and south to procure substitutes and fill the quotas required by the draft; looked after the soldiers' families at home, and superintended the investment and liquidation of the town bonds.

Statement of the quotas assigned to Queensbury, Warren Co., 16th district of New York, and the credits applied thereon, under calls for troops.

Quota under call of February 1, 1864149
Quota under call of March 14, 186462
Credits by new recruits179
Credits by veteran volunteers13
Credits by draft of 186346238
Credits by surplus June 30th, 186427
Quota under call of July 18th, 1864128
Credits by new recruits157
Credits by veteran volunteer1158
Credits by surplus on call of July 18th, 186430
Quota under call of December 19th, 186446
Credits by new recruits36
Credits by new recruits regular army3
Credits by new recruits draft 443
Deficiency on call Dec. 19th, 18643

War Dept., Adjt. General's office,
Washington, D. C, February 9th, 1874. (Official)
Thomas M. Vincent,
Assist. Adjutant General.
Adj. Gen.'s office,
Albany Feb. 12th, 1874,
Official copy,
J. B. Stonehouse,
Asst. Adj. Gen.

Page 418

"At the termination of the war there remained a considerable balance in the treasury, and chiefly through the active agency of the late Halsey R. Wing, it was decided after due deliberation to appropriate it to the erection of a soldiers' monument. The subject was submitted to the action of the annual town meeting held 6th March, 1866, when the following resolutions were submitted to the people and adopted: -

"Resolved, That to commemorate the services and sacrifices of the soldiers of Queensbury, who during the war of 1861-65 fell in battle or died from wounds received or disease contracted in defense of the Union; and in memory of our late fellow citizens Daniel V. Brown and Edward Riggs, who, while going to South Carolina as agents of the town under the directions of the town war committee, were lost at sea on the eighth day of January, 1865, the sum of eight thousand dollars be and the same hereby is appropriated by this town meeting, towards defraying the expense of erecting a suitable monument or cenotaph in such appropriate place as can be procured in or near the village of Glens Falls.

"Resolved, That the sum of five thousand two hundred and sixty-four dollars and thirty-nine cents, military funds, in the hands of the supervisor, be appropriated toward the monument.

"Resolved, That Jerome Lapham, R. M. Little, Wm. A. Wait, Lifelet Harris, Stephen Brown, I. J. Davis, George Conery, H. R. Wing, the members of the town war committee now residing in town, and M. B. Little in place of F. A. Johnson, jr., no longer a resident here, be and they are hereby appointed a committee to receive the said funds and according to their discretion disburse the same for the purpose of this appropriation.

"Resolved, That the Legislature be and hereby is requested to legalize by law the appropriation made by the foregoing resolutions and that a copy of them be transmitted by the town clerk to our Member of Assembly, the Hon. David Aldrich, for presentation to the Legislature.

"Resolved, That there be raised two hundred and sixty dollars and seventy-eight cents to indemnify the loss of Edward Riggs to be paid to his sister Ellen Riggs.

"Resolved, That there be raised three hundred and twenty-nine dollars and five cents to indemnify Daniel V. Brown for the loss of his private property, the same to be paid to Mrs. D. V. Brown.

"Resolved, That there be raised one hundred and twenty-five dollars to indemnify William Cosgrove for a gold watch, lost with D. V. Brown at the time of his death.

"The committee above named, after examining several designs and exerting careful and mature deliberation in the premises, adopted a plan (with some alterations) which was submitted by R. T. Baxter, at that time a resident of the village, a dealer in and manufacturer of marble and monumental work and entirely Page 419 familiar with the business in all its details, and having made his specification and propositions, he was at length commissioned to erect the monument. He at once embarked in the enterprise con amore, traveled far and wide to secure durable and suitable stone for the work, and employed special first-class workmen, part of whom were hired from the cities at great expense, to execute its finer details. The work was commenced in the spring of 1867.

"The foundation or substructure is fourteen feet square, and eight feet deep, built of massive blocks of marble from our own quarries, embedded in cement, and whose interstices are filled with grout and cement. Upon this is laid a base of Sprucehead granite from Maine. This is ten feet square, cornered, and eighteen inches thick.

"Upon this rests a plinth sixteen inches in thickness, eight feet square and cornered. This in turn supports a moulded plinth whose height is eighteen inches and whose diameter each way is six feet and six inches, and also cornered, as is the entire shaft in all its pieces and additions to the capstone. The second plinth is surmounted by a die five feet and six inches square, with four raised tablets, one upon each face. Upon three of these are inscribed the roll of honored dead. The remaining face, together with a raised wreath of oak and laurel on the die above, contains the dedicatory inscription.

"On the corners of the lower die are wrought out in relief four cannon. The material of the entire monument, above the granite base, is Dorchester freestone, fine in grain, dark brown in color, obtained at great cost from New Brunswick. Upon the lower die rests a moulded cap eighteen inches in thickness, and six feet six inches square, which supports the upper die or shaft proper, one of whose faces has already been described.

"On the north and south aspects of this die are niches, containing statues life size, cut from the same material that composes the monument, representing the one an officer, the other a soldier in the attitude of reversed arms. Next follows four sections of the shaft, all gradually tapering toward the top which is twenty-two inches in diameter. The three lower of these contain raised bands with the names of battle fields, chiseled in relief.

"On the corners of each section also appears a star cut in relief. The whole is surmounted by a capstone, cut from a block five feet square and three feet thick, representing the American flag drooping in graceful folds, upon which rests an eagle, in the art of springing into flight. The spread of the eagle's wings is about five feet.

"The entire monument is estimated to weigh about one hundred tons. It was completed at a cost of about twelve thousand dollars, of which amount its unfortunate, though public-spirited architect, was left to meet and make up an unprovided deficit of about four thousand dollars."

The monument was dedicated with suitable and impressive services, attended by a large concourse of citizens, on Decoration day, May 30th, 1872.

Page 420


Following is the list of moderators, supervisors, justices and town clerks of the town of Queensbury from the first settlement to the present time: -

Moderators. - Warren Ferris, 1793, '97, '98, 1803; Augustine Odell, 1789; William Robards, 1796, '99, 1800; Peter B. Tearse, 1795; John Vernor, 1801, '02; Job Wright, 1770, '01; Abraham Wing, 1766-'69, '72-'80 '83-'88, '90-'94.

Supervisors. - Phineas Babcock, 1779, '80, '83, '84, '86; Daniel V. Brown, 1859; Keyes P. Cool, 1855; Benjamin Cornell, 1802, '04; J. M. Coolidge, 1876-'78; H. Crandell, 1879; Quartus Curtis, 1850-'52; David M. Dean, 1833, '39-'41; Z. I. Delong, 1874, '75; George Ferguson, 1861-'63; John A. Ferriss, 1813, '27-'29; David Ferriss, 1785; Warren Ferriss, 1795-'97; James C. Finch, 1854; Dilwin Gardner, 1823-'25; Charles M. Gilchrist, 1869-'73; S. L. Goodman, 1882, '83; Bartholomew Griffin, 1843-'44; John J. Harris, 1842; Jerome Lapham, 1857, '58, '64, '65; John Mallory, 1810-'12; Alonzo W. Morgan, 1834, '36, '46, '47, '66, '67; John Murray, 1791; Augustine Odell, 1788, '89; William Peck, 1848; Micajah Pettit, 1803; Walter Phelps, 1860; Alfred Pitcher, 1817; William Robards, 1786, '90-'94; William Roberts, 1805-'07, '09; Alexander Robertson, 1853, '68; George Sanford, 1837, '38; Nehemiah Seelye, (1) 1783, '84; James Sisson, 1849; Asa Stower, 1798-1801, '08, '15, '16, '18-22, '26, '30-'32, '35; Charles B. Thompson, 1880; Nelson Van Dusen, 1881-84; James Vaughn, 1814; Abraham Wing, 1766-78, '85, '87. Justices of the Peace. - Morville Baker, 1856; Hiram Barber, 1827-'31; Stephen Beadlestone, 1821, '22; Horatio Buell, 1815, '16; George W. Cheney, 1852-55, '58-'73; Benjamin Cornell, 1801-'04; George Curtis, 1865; David F. Dickinson, 1817, '18; Isaac E. Dutton, 1855; Enoch Ellis, 1822-'26; Judiah Ellsworth, 1856, '57; Adonijah Emmons, 1816, '17; Calhoun S. Enches, 1877-'80; Orange Ferriss, 1838-'41, '45-'48; Warren Ferriss, 1795-1804; Horace Forbes, 1817, '18; Alanson Fox, 1812, '13; Dilwin Gardner, 1813-'16, '20-'23; Amos Green, 1819, '20; Walter Geer, jr., 1821-'26; Bartholomew Griffin, 1827-'34, '37-'53; Joseph N. Gurney, 1852; William B. Gurney, 1880-'82, and at present; Michael Harris, 1806-'09; Elias Hawley, 1818, '19; William Hay, 1821-'24; James Henderson, 1815-'17; Hermon Hoffman, 1804-'07; William Hotchkiss, 1859-'76; De Witt C. Jenkins, 1874-'78; Gamaliel Jenkins, 1857-'62; Lyman Jenkins, 1864-'73, '79-'82, and at present; Palmer B. Jenkins, 1842-'45; Ransom Jenkins, 1834-'39, '70; Royal Leavens, 1813-'15; Page 421 William McDonald, 1821; John Mallory, 1817, '18; Carlos Morgan, 1861-'68; Ira A. Paddock, 1825-'28, '48-'51; Elnathan Parsons, 1815, '16; Daniel Peck, 1807-'13; Eli C. Peirsons, 1835, '36; Joseph S. Perine, 1848-'56; Micajah Pettit, 1802-'05; Nathan A. Philo, 1829-'32; Alfred Pitcher, 1823-'25; Fred E. Ranger, 1874-'76, '78 to present time; Asa Ripley, 1820; James Ripley, 1817-'20; William Roberts, 1795-1809; William Robinson, 1851-'59; Daniel D. Scott, 1812-'15; James Sisson, 1848; Samuel G. Skinner, 1823, '24; Henry Spencer, 1807-'10, '18-'21, '32-'39; Edward L. Stearns, 1881, '82, and at present; Robert Stewart, 1860-'79; Asa Stower, 1817, '18; Samuel S. Tallmadge, 1827-'31, '36-'43; Herman Vantassel, 1839-'50; James Vaughn, 1811-'14, '17-'26; John Vernor, 1796-1803; Halsey R. Wing, 1844-'47; Nehemiah Wing, 1863.

1. No lists of town officers are contained in the town records for the years 1781 and '82. It is therefore inferred that, in consequence of the unsettled state of the country, and the continuance of the war, the inhabitants had fled back to old Duchess county for safety and that no town meetings were held in these years.

In the years 1783 to 1786 two supervisors had been elected, who appeared to act jointly in discharging the duties of that office.

Town Clerks. - Phineas Babcock, 1786; Israel P. Baldwin, 1813; Hiram Barber, 1826; Louis Brown, 1885; Keyes P. Cool, 1831; Daniel H. Cowles, 1847; John Derby, 1816; George Ferguson, 1854-'60; John A. Ferriss, 1796-1804: Warren Ferriss, 1795; Dilwin Gardner, 1815; Daniel B. Ketchum, 1861-'72; Orlin Mead, 1834-'35; Lemuel C. Paine, 1812; Elnathan Parsons, 1823-'25; Charles Peck, 1848-'53; Daniel Peck, 1805-'11; Hermon Peck, 1830; William Peck, 1836-'38; Micajah Pettit, 1814; Lewis L. Pixley, 1827; John E. Potter, 2d., 1873-'84; Asaph Putnam, 1766-'77; Ezra Ranger, 1832; David Sanford, 1802-'03; Allen T. Seaman, 1833; James Sisson, 1841-'46; Henry Spencer, 1817-'22; Samuel S. Tallmadge, 1828-'29; James Wells, 1830-'40; Benjamin Wing, 1778-'80 and '83-'94.

Contact Us | ©1998-2007 Warren County: Genealogy and History