Warren County, New York
Genealogy and History

History of Warren County, H. P. Smith
Chapter XXV: History of the Patent and Town of Queensbury - Part 3

This transcription was produced through the use of Readiris Pro 11 OCR software. Contributed by Tim Varney.

After the Revolution. - Page 387 Pioneer settlement had long been delayed in Queensbury; but when a permanent peace was firmly established, it was among the first localities to feel its effects, as shown by a gradual influx of population, increased cultivation of lands and a general aspect of thrift. A writer over the signature "Harlow" stated in the Warren Messenger, February, 1831, "that the first clearing [at Glens Falls] was limited to the hill which rises from the falls, and in the year 1783 presented only a wheat field, with a solitary smoke on its border, and two other dwellings in the vicinity of the forest. These houses were built after the architecture of the first settlers, of a few rough logs, placed one upon another, the interstices filled with straw and mixture Page 388 of mud and clay. But in the year 1784 an individual by the name of Haviland [Abraham, a blacksmith by calling] erected, to use a graphical expression, a small framed house, near the hotel in the upper part of the village, (1) which was soon followed by that now occupied by Mr. Royal Leavins, (2) completed upon the model of an old-fashioned Massachusetts country house; which two buildings were consequently the first of the kind which graced our landscape." (3)

1. Corner of South and Glen streets.

2. The dwelling lately owned and occupied by J. W. Finch.

3. The same writer continues as follows: "As early as 1786-87 the fruit of their reflections was seen, a small, rudely constructed school-house, now the residence of Mrs. Flannagan. [Now the site of Dr. Holden, 17 Elm street]. . . . .

On the 26th of January, 1784, the inhabitants of Fort George were annexed to the Queensbury district by a vote of the inhabitants, and in the same year, by act of Legislature, the name of Charlotte county was changed to Washington county. The "inhabitants of Fort George," as appears in the New York legislative papers, are embraced in the following: -

"The Petition of Jonathan Pitcher, Gurdon Chamberlin, Wyatt Chamberlin and Isaac Doty, residing on a tract of land at the South end of Lake George commonly called Garrison Land, humbly sheweth; That your Petitioners, some time since, being desirous to emigrate from the Old Settlements, and to fix ourselves on the Frontier of the State, did obtain, from the Surveyor Genl. of the state, leases of the Lands whereon we now reside, which Leases being only for the Term of One Year, induceth us to address Your Hon'ble Body on the Subject. Your Petitioners having removed our families to this place at great Expense from a very considerable distance, ardently wish to continue on the same, and do most humbly pray that our leases may be renewed for as long a Term of time as your Hon'ble Body shall deem most eligible; or that any other mode may be adopted, whereby your petitioners may be allowed to occupy the premises. - Lake George, De. 30, 1783."

Dr. Holden adds upon this subject: "Jonathan Pitcher then kept a sort of rude tavern at the head of the lake. Hugh McAuley was also another inhabitant of Lake George at that time, Robert Nesbit, who was in trade there for several years, did not come until June, 1785."

"The village of Glens Falls was formerly known by the name of Wing's Falls, a name probably derived from Mr. Abraham Wing, one of the first emigrants to this place, who lived in a log building which occupied the spot of Mr. L. L. Pixley's store. . . . .

"Then followed the dams, the one above, and the other below the falls, and the mill scats afforded by them, owned and occupied by Mr. Benjamin Wing, and General (Warren) Ferriss. Only one of these dams is still remaining - that at the head of the rapids, now a bank of five feet high, and about 600 broad, over which the river pours its waters in one unbroken sheet. . . . . An Indian, fur a trifing reward, paddled his canoe to the brink of the precipice, and then shot like lightning into tile gulf to disappear forever, and the same is related of many others who dared the fury of the cataract.

"But it is safe to leap from any of the rocks, at the southern point of the island or as far west as the bridge. This was fully attested by Cook, who jumped three successive times from the old kingpost, into the water beneath (the gulf at the foot of the arch), and returned, exclaiming like Patch. 'There's no mistake.'" - Holden's History of Queensbury, p. 498.

Page 389

James Stevenson came into the town in 1785, when, as stated by members of his family, there were but eighteen families in the whole town. The mills had been destroyed during the war and the inhabitants were forced to go to Jessup's Falls or Fort Miller for their grinding. Joseph Varney, son of Josiah Varney (a pioneer who married a daughter of Benedick Brown), told Dr. Holden in 1868, that "Uncle " Silas Brown used to back grists over the mountain by a line of blazed trees, afterwards a bridle-path, to Jessup's grist-mill, in what is now Luzerne, during and after the Revolution.

About this time the first house of worship was erected in the town - conclusive evidence that the inhabitants felt a degree of peaceful security in their homes to which they had theretofore been strangers. It was built by the Society of Friends on the south side of the Half-way Brook, adjoining the west side of the road leading to Dunham's Bay. The structure was of logs and about 20 by 30 feet dimensions. It stood within the limits of a small enclosed parcel of ground, used even to the present day as a place of burial. It has been described by those remembering it, as a long, low building, roughly ceiled on the inside, divisible by a movable or sliding partition into two parts, and provided by rough benches for seating the congregation. It had two entrance doors and was lighted by small windows placed high up towards the roof. Here the first and second generations of the Friends of Queensbury met and worshiped, and in the limits of that field their remains repose without a monument or mark to designate their resting place from the common earth by which they are surrounded. Here, too, was kept the first school in the town, and the first burial ground where the founders of the town were laid to rest.

Among the arrivals about the year 1785 was the Peck family, of whom Peter Peck, father of Reuben, Daniel and Edmond, was the head. They came from Litchfield, Conn. According to the family tradition they were two weeks on the way, the boys trudging along on foot, driving two yokes of oxen, with heavy, rude wagons laden with their effects, while the father rode on horseback. At that time there were only three dwellings at Glens Falls, a foot path to the Ridge and a rough wagon road up Bay street as far as the Quaker Church. Dr. Holden gives the following details of the settlement of this family: Mr. Peck purchased a large farm, or rather tract of wilderness, stretching from the Big Cedar Swamp on the east, to the road leading to Dunham's Bay on the west. A family named Varney then occupied a log house situated just north of the Half-way Brook, on the west side of the Bay road. Peck made it his home with these people for a short time, and was persuaded by them to build his house at a point nearly half way between the Ridge and Bay roads, they representing it, probably for the sake of having nearer neighbors, to be the most eligible and desirable point on his tract for that purpose. He accordingly commenced his clearing, dug a well, but finding the land too low for a dwelling, abandoned the improvement and erected a substantial log Page 390 house on the Ridge road, then called the new road, on the site of the brick house now owned by Mr. Amos Graves. His nearest neighbor north lived in a log house situated to the east of the old Roger Haviland farm house. The spot it occupied is now part of an open, cultivated field. There was another log dwelling on the ground now covered by the Reuben Numan residence. There was also one or two other log houses in the neighborhood, which comprised all that portion of the then existing settlement to the south of what was subsequently designated as Sanford's Ridge. The road was then newly cut through the forest, the stumps still remaining, with fallen trees, decayed logs and rubbish lying across. It was hardly a respectable bridle path, and the unbroken wilderness stretched away from it on either hand for miles and miles save the three or four small clearings around the buildings above mentioned.

"During the summer of 1786 Peck, accompanied by his youngest son, Edmund, then a lad five or six years old, started on horseback for the purpose of assisting to secure the harvest of a neighbor, David Ferriss, who lived in a small house on the side-hill just south of the Half-way Brook-on the east side of the road now leading to the Oneida. At nightfall he started on his return with his little boy seated before him on the horse. The dense forest soon shut out the last faint light of day, and he was obliged to stumble forward in the dark as best he might, trusting mainly to the sagacity of his horse for keeping in the road. At length, in endeavoring to guide his horse around the upturned roots of a large fallen tree which obstructed the way, he found to his consternation that he had lost the path. After spending some considerable time in a fruitless effort to regain the road, groping his way from tree to tree in the thick darkness, the thought occurred to him that a loud outcry might arouse the family he had just left and that some one would come to his assistance with lanterns or torches. He accordingly commenced shouting at the top of his voice, and presently fancied he heard the call returned. He called again, and the answer was repeated more distinctly. The calls and answers were repeated in rapid succession, until he discovered to his horror that it was no human voice which responded to his alarm, but that of the dreaded panther. With an alacrity inspired of terror, Peck dismounted, and feeling his way rapidly along, at length he came to a large tree with low branching boughs to one of which he fastened his horse, and climbing the tree, found a refuge for himself and boy, on a large projecting limb. Through the entire length of that long and dreary night, the panther prowled around this retreat, at one moment threatening an attack upon the frightened horse, and at another stealthily rustling through leaves of the adjacent tree tops, awaiting an unguarded moment to make his fearful spring. A few raps with a stout cudgel on the trunk of the tree, from time to time, served to deter the brute from making his attack, until the morning light made its most welcome appearance, Page 391 when the ferocious monster with low growls slunk away towards the recesses of the Big Cedar Swamp. As soon as the light became distinct enough to enable the benighted traveler to find his way, he descended from his perch, and to his great satisfaction discovered the road at no great distance, and, remounting the horse with his boy, soon after reached his home in safety. On his way he saw another huge panther apparently asleep in the top of a high tree, but on his return with a rifle the animal was gone. It had very probably made its way back to the big swamp, which for a long period afterward afforded a safe covert for these and other ferocious denizens of the forest."

Before tracing further the progress of settlement in the town, the following record of an election registry of 1786 will be of value in determining who were the residents of the town at that time and entitled to vote for senators and assemblymen; the registry embraces thirty-six voters, showing that the increase of settlement since the close of the war had been encouragingly rapid: -

"Att an Election held in Queensbury, May the 2 by an adjournment.

1786. Candates for Sinnet. Candates for Assemblymen.
Electors Names Alexr. Webster John Williams Peter B. Tearse Adiel Sherwood Albert Baker Edward Savage Nehemiah Seelye Seth Sherwood
Abrom Wing xxxxx x
William Trippx xxx  x
David Seelyex xxx  x
David Bennettx xxx  x
Thomas Trippx  xx x 
Elisha Folgerx xxx  x
Bennedick Brownx xxx  x
Justice Brownx xxx x 
Volentine Brownx xxx  x
Ebenezar Buckx xxx  x
Howgal Brownx xxx  x
Jeremiah Briggsx x x  x
Silas Brownx xxx  x
James Trippx xxx  x
Jonathan Trippx xxx  x
James Stevensonx xxx  x
Josi Varneyx xxx  x
Hosea Howardx xxx  x
James Butlerx xxx x 
Richard Bennet x x   x
William Guyx xxx  x
Walter Briggsx x x  x
John Martin xxx   x
David Bennetx xx   x
Edward Foollerx x x  x
Nathaniel Odiexxxx   x
Nathaniel Varneyx xxx  x
Jonathan Hubbelx xxx  x
Stephen Laphamx xxx  x
Jonathan Pitcherx xxx  x
Henry Martinx xxx  x
Benjamin Wingx xxx  x
Phinhehas Babcock xxxx  x
James Hixenx xxx  x
Stephen Howardx xxx  x
Miles Washbornx xx   x
Page 392

These inhabitants, or such of them as had suffered losses during the war, pleaded their inability to pay the quit-rents and arrearages on their lands which now, through the change of government, lapsed to the State. To these the abatement and liquidation of all just indebtedness and future claims was awarded on the number of acres as given below, respectively, with the auditor's certificate as follows: -

"Auditor's office, New York, 10th December, 1789. I do hereby certify that I have receiv'd Sundry Certificates signed by Ebenezer Russell, Judge for Washington county setting forth that the following persons were possessed of the number of acres set opposite their respective names in a Pattent granted Daniel Prindle & others 29th May, 1762, and that on account of the war they were oblig'd to quit their Farms viz: -

Lot 29, Abraham Wing Junr150
" 29 & 32, Nath. Babcock, Willett & Daniel Wing450
" 102, Asa & Parks Putnam250
" 31, Daniel Hull150
" 23 & 29, Charles Lewis150
" 7, Ebenezer and Nathaniel Fuller250
" 22 & 23, Russell Lewis150
" 37, Anstice & Sarah Hicks250
" 36 & 29, Mary Lewis160
" 103, Howgil & Timothy Brown250
" 39, Silas Brown150
" 37, Truelove Butler150
" 77, William Roberts Junr, & Ebenr. Roberts250
" 26 & 27, William Roberts116
" 82 & 20, 35, 36, & 40 William Wing90
" 36, Andrew Lewis150
" 38, Benedick Brown150
" 23, James Higson150
" 22, Abraham Wing150
" 15, Benjamin & Nehemiah Wing250
" 2, Reed Ferriss & Caleb Powel250
Page 393

"And I further certify that the above mentioned Persons are thereby discharged from paying all past and future Quit Rents for the Quantity of acres set opposite their respective names amounting in the whole to four thousand and Fifty Six acres in the above Pattent.

"Peter S. Curtenius, State Audr."

Proceedings identical with these were entered into between the State auditor and the following named persons, releasing them on the number of acres attached to their names, on the 28th day of December, 1791: -

Professor's NamesNo. AcresNo. Lots
Valentine Brown15041
Schuyler Brown10041
Phebe Robberds14526
Joseph Hepburn15049
Ebenezer Fuller Junr15050
Benjamin Fuller10050
Edward Fuller12538
Patrick Hepburn15048 & 57
Matthew Fuller12533
Justus Brown12539
John Akin15084
Albro Akin10084
Sarah Akin15084
Thomas Worth12551
Barsilla Worth12551
John Toffy15044
Hulet Toffy10044
James Ferriss15057
Nathaniel Taber10057
William Taber1003
Ephrahim Woodard1503
David Ferris10012
Benjamin Collins10012
Ichabod Merritt1501
Joseph Merritt1001
James Stephenson12588
Jacob Stephenson15090
Stephen Stephenson10090
Page 394

Again on the 1st of April, 1790, the following were released in a similar manner: -

Professor's NamesNo. AcresNo. Lots
Peter Peck13025 & No. 3 Town Plot.
Reuben Peck12530
William Tripp12511
Jonathan Tripp12511
Jeremiah Briggs15031
Nathaniel Varney16030

An account in settlement with the auditor also appears In the records, wherein Reed Ferriss is credited with eighteen pounds nineteen shillings and four pence for the release of 510 acres in one tract; and Enoch Hoag with seventeen pounds, three shillings on 250 acres.

It will have been observed that among these names appear several the details of whose settlements have already been given; others will be noted in succeeding pages.

Town Formation. - Queensbury is one of the original towns erected by act of Legislature on the 7th of March, 1788, and its boundaries were defined as follows: "All that part of the said county of Washington, bounded easterly by Westfield and Kingsbury, and separated from Westfield by a line beginning at the northwest corner of the town of Kingsbury and running in the direction of Kingsbury west bounds till it strikes the water of Lake George; westerly by Fairfield, northerly by Lake George and a line running from the mouth of McAuley's Creek near the south end of said lake direct to the northeast Page 395 corner of the town of Fairfield, and southerly by the bounds of the county," (namely the Hudson River, which at this point runs nearly a due easterly course) "shall be, and continue a town by the name of Queensbury."

The town then embraced the territory which in the year 1813 (according to Spafford's Gazetteer of New York, published in that year) comprised the towns of Bolton, Caldwell, Chester, Hague, Johnsburgh, Luzerne, Queensbury, and Thurman, being all that part of the county of Washington lying west of Kingsbury and Lake George; in other words, more than the entire present county of Warren.

An act of the Legislature of April 6th, 1808, changed the name of the town of Westfield to Fort Ann, and that of Fairfield to Luzerne, for the very good reason of the "considerable inconvenience which results from several of the towns in this State having the same name."

On the 22d of October, 1798, the division line between the towns of Westfield (Fort Ann) and Queensbury was run out by the supervisors of the two towns, assisted by Aaron Haight, surveyor, and "that portion of the town of Queensbury usually called Harrisena" was annexed and erected into a separate road district. About the same time a strip of territory one mile wide was taken from the eastern limits of the town of Fairfield (Luzerne) and annexed to the western side of Queensbury. Following are the present boundaries of the town as provided by law: -

"The town of Queensbury shall contain all that part of said county bounded southerly and easterly by the bounds of the county; (viz. 'by the middle of the said [north] branch and of the main stream of the said [Hudson's] river, until it reaches the southeast corner of the patent of Queensbury, with such variations as may be necessary to include the whole of every island, any part whereof is nearer to the north or east shore of the said river than to the south or west shore thereof, and to exclude the whole of every island, any part whereof is nearer to the said south or west shore than to the north or east shore aforesaid; and easterly by the east bounds of said patent, and the same continued north to Lake George,') westerly by Luzerne, and northerly by a line beginning at the southwest corner of Caldwell and running thence easterly and northerly along the bounds of Caldwell to Lake George; and then along the east shore of Lake George to the bounds of the county."

Natural Features, Localities, etc. - The natural characteristics of the town, names of localities, etc., are thus clearly described by Dr. Holden: (1) "The eastern and northern portions of the town are rolling and hilly, while the western part is one extended sandy plain, originally covered with a densely timbered pine forest, which for the first half century gave employment to a large per centage of the population and to the numerous saw-mills which were erected in the early days of the settlement on nearly every brook and rivulet in the Page 396 town. Since then, and long within the memory of many living, these extensive pine plains have been periodically cropped of the second growth yellow pine to supply the increasing demand for fuel. Now there is less than five hundred acres of woodland all told between the village and the mountain, and under a more thorough and intelligent system of agriculture these barren sand plains are rapidly being reclaimed and becoming the most remunerative of our farming lands.

1. History of Queensbury, p. 144, etc.

"The western part of the town is bordered by the Palmertown Mountains, an outlying ridge of the great Adirondack range, whose beginning is at the village of Saratoga Springs, and whose termination is at Harrington Hill in Warrensburgh. At the north, lying partly in this town and partly in the town of Caldwell, is the abrupt acclivity known as French Mountain, some sixteen hundred feet in height, whose sharp promontory projects for several miles into the head waters of Lake George. On the northeast the Dresden chain of mountains throws out three considerable elevations called the Sugar Loaf, Deer Pasture, and Buck Mountains, the last two of which slope down to the very verge of the lake, and are still the home of the deer and the rattlesnake, with which all this region once abounded.

"This township, occupying a plateau on the great water-shed between the Hudson and St. Lawrence Rivers, its numerous streams, brooks, ponds, and rivulets, and its surface drainage as well, find widely diverging outlets; that from the northern and central parts of the town making its way to the Halfway Brook and thence through Wood Creek to Lake Champlain and the St. Lawrence, while the rivulets and marshes of Harrisena empty into Lake George, and those of the west, south and eastern parts of the town are tributary to the Hudson. It is noteworthy that the volume of all the streams, the river included, has materially diminished within the memory of the oldest inhabitant, while a few, by drainage and exposure to the sun and air, have ceased to exist. The same remark holds true of several swamps and marshes, which in the early days of the settlement were the lairs and coverts from which wild beasts issued in their predatory attacks upon the stock of the pioneers. Wild Cat Swamp, lying upon the western borders of the village, has been almost entirely reclaimed, while a large portion of the Big Cedar Swamp, stretching away for two miles from its eastern boundary, is now under successful cultivation. Among the numerous brooks, ponds and streams, with which the surface of the town is diversified, the following are considered worthy of mention: Cold Brook, which for a small portion of its extent forms a part of the eastern boundary of the town and county, runs southwardly and empties into the Hudson immediately opposite an island, which in 1772 was deeded by one of the Jessups of Tory memory to Daniel Jones. This brook and the flat adjacent was the scene of a terrible massacre during the French War, which is elsewhere recorded. Reed's Meadow Creek, the outlet of the Big Cedar Swamp above Page 397 referred to, flows east and southeasterly, and after receiving various accessions in its somewhat tortuous route it becomes Fort Edward Creek, and debouches into the Hudson at the southern extremity of the village of Fort Edward. Its name is derived from Reed Ferriss, one of the early proprietors here, and one of the commissioners appointed by the proprietors to apportion the undivided sections of the township, two of which were included within the limits of the swamp. Setting back from this outlet was a beaver dam, marsh and meadow, where the first settlers supplied themselves with hay. The Meadow Run derived its name similarly from a large beaver meadow, which was almost the only resource of the inhabitants at the Corners for the sustenance of their stock during the long and vigorous winters of this latitude. In some of the military reports and narratives it was called the Four Mile Run, it being about four miles distant from the military post at the head of Lake George. This stream has its origin in the Butler Pond, on a summit of a spur of the Palmertown Mountains, in the west part of the town. A neighboring elevation has, from the earliest days, been known as Hunting Hill, from the abundance of game once gathered there. An adjoining eminence is the seat of a rich vein of iron ore, which, three years since, was successfully worked under the auspices of the Corning Iron Company, a body of Albany capitalists.

"The Meadow Run, after passing through an expansion of its waters called Mud Pond, winds around the base of a series of knolls, and is received at the head of Long Pond not far from the outlet of Round Pond, another small sheet of water lying among the hills a few rods to the south. A canal was cut by Dr. Stower from one of these ponds to the other some years ago, for lumbering purposes, but was never completed or put in operation. There are two or three extensive peat beds in this neighborhood, one of which, at the head of an estuary stretching westwardly through the marsh which makes back from Long Pond, has been extensively worked during the past few years by the Albany company above referred to. There is at present a saw-mill in successful and remunerative operation near the head waters of the Meadow Run.

"Rocky Brook, designated in the early road surveys and records of the town as Hampshire Creek, is a bright, sparkling mountain stream, leaping and flashing along the ravine at the western base of French Mountain, propelling two saw-mills on its route, and winding along through meadow, woodland and marsh, empties into the Meadow Run about twenty rods above the head of Long Pond. On the flat west of its banks, was one of the three picket posts referred to in Governor Colden's proclamation, elsewhere quoted, and which is designated on one of the early maps as Fort Williams.

"In the western part of the town, having its rise in the mountain ridge which separates it from Luzerne, is the once famous trout stream variously known as the Pitcher, the Ogden, and the Clendon Brook, deriving these names from persons once living in its vicinity. In former years it furnished the motive Page 398 power for a number of saw-mills, whose decaying debris encumber its banks at varying intervals with their unsightly accumulations. Still further west, on the confines of the town, Roaring Brook, bounding from crag and cliff, pours its cold and foaming waters fresh from their mountain sources into the Hudson near the reefs.

"The waters of Long Pond are discharged through the Outlet, a stream which, flowing eastwardly, effects a junction with the Half-way Brook at a settlement called Jenkins or Patten's Mills, near the eastern boundary of the town. This brook supplies the power for several saw-mills, a grist-mill, a cider-mill, and a woolen factory.

"The Half-way Brook, which was noted in the early colonial times as a halting-place and rendezvous for the troops and convoys of supplies in their transit between the great military posts at Fort Edward and the head of Lake George, is situated nearly midway between these points, and hence derives its name. (1)

1. It was on the banks of this famous stream that were erected two of the picketed enclosures about the middle of the last century, as described in an earlier chapter.

"The Half-way brook has its source in the same mountain range, and but a short distance west from the head waters of its sister stream, the Meadow Run. Near the foot of the mountain, and nearly encircled by hills, is a natural basin, which, a few years since, was artificially enlarged, and cleaned, and a massive wall of masonry thrown across its outlet, for the formation of a reservoir to supply the Glen's Falls Water-works, a public and much needed improvement, which has been but recently completed at a cost of about eighty thousand dollars. The surplus and waste water is directed back to its wonted channel immediately below the reservoir. Running a tortuous course southeastwardly across the plains, the Half-way Brook expands into the Forge Pond, a small shed of water, about one and a half miles west of Glen's Falls, and for a long period the favorite resort of the disciples of the gentle Isaac Walton, in pursuit of the speckled trout which once abounded in this stream. At this point, as far back as the year eighteen hundred and eleven, a forge and trip hammer shop were erected by an enterprising pioneer named Johnson. At the same time a saw-mill was built which is still in operation, and which for years supplied the neighborhood and sent to market the products of the neighboring forests. The manufacture of iron for some cause did not prove remunerative, and the enterprise, after languishing a few years, was finally abandoned, leaving its name, however, to the pond as a parting legacy, and a reminder of the old French proverb, that 'it is only success that succeeds.' About a mile below, and nearly opposite to the garrison ground already referred to, is an enlargement of the Half-way Brook called Briggs's Pond, at the foot of which stands a dam and race way, affording water power. Here at the close of the last century stood a saw-mill; while across the flat, some forty or Page 399 fifty rods further west, in a ravine, partly natural, but enlarged by the hand of art, stood a large grist-mill, carried by water conducted by a canal artificially constructed, and leading from the pond above named. These mills were owned and run by Walter Briggs, and were resorted to by the inhabitants and farmers from far and near, at a period when there was no grist-mill at Glens Falls. The buildings have long since been torn down or removed, but the embankments of the canal, and the foundations of the mill are still conspicuous in the green meadow. From this point the Half-way Brook bears northeastwardly through a continuation of swale, marsh, and meadow, creeping sluggishly along at the base of the ridge, and passes the Kingsbury town line in the neighborhood of a settlement bearing the euphonious name of Frog Hollow. A basin among the hills, half a mile to the west of the settlement called the Oneida, contains a circular sheet of water, a few acres in extent, known as the Round Pond. Here was built among the pines, on its shore, the first Baptist Church of Queensbury. A small enclosure near by contains one of the oldest burial places in town.

1. It was on the banks of this famous stream that were erected two of the picketed enclosures about the middle of the last century, as described in an earlier chapter.

"Butler's Brook, near the north bounds of the corporation limits of Glen's Falls, has its source in three small brooks, one of which receives the drainage of the Wild Cat Swamp and west part of the village, the second crosses the plank road at the old Mallory place, and the third has its source in a swale a little north of the Warren county fair grounds. It was on this branch, tradition informs us, that in the year seventeen hundred and eighty-three, while on his way to visit and inspect the fortifications at Lake George, Ticonderoga and Crown Point, General Washington and his staff halted to slake their thirst, and were waited upon with a cup and pail and a supply of water from the brook by Jeremiah Briggs, who was at work in a neighboring field. This stream derived its name from one of the earliest settlers who lived in its vicinity. Espousing the royal cause, at or during the war, he buried such of his effects as he could and fled to Canada. His house shared the fate of most of the buildings in this vicinity at that time, being burnt by the savages and Tories in one of their numerous eruptions. The Butler Brook after the confluence of its branches winds around the cemetery grounds and unites with the Half-way Brook about two miles north of Glens Falls, midway between the Ridge and Bay roads.

1. It was on the banks of this famous stream that were erected two of the picketed enclosures about the middle of the last century, as described in an earlier chapter.

"These ponds and streams during the early days of the settlement were abundantly stocked with trout, which, with the game then so plentiful in the surrounding forests, constituted a large portion of the resources of the inhabitants. It was related to me by one of the patriarchs of the town that in a winter of uncommon severity, some of the families in Harrisena carried through their stock of cattle on a supply of salted fish, of which they had secured a large quantity the preceding season. Until the erection of dams and mills shad ran up in the spring as far as the Falls, where they were caught in considerable quantities, and were to some extent an article of commerce.

1. It was on the banks of this famous stream that were erected two of the picketed enclosures about the middle of the last century, as described in an earlier chapter.

Contact Us | ©1998-2007 Warren County: Genealogy and History