Warren County, New York
Genealogy and History

History of Warren County, H. P. Smith
Chapter XXIX: History of the Town of Chester

This transcription was produced through the use of Readiris Pro 11 OCR software. Contributed by Tim Varney.


The Page 537town of Chester is situated on the northern border of the county, laterally central. Its eastern and western boundaries are formed respectively by the Schroon and Hudson Rivers. It is bounded on the north by Essex county, on the south by Warrensburgh. On the east lies Horicon, and on the west Johnsburgh. The surface is broken by precipitous mountains, and covered with huge boulders. The Kayaderosseras Mountains extend through the southern part, and the Schroon Range occupies the north. The valley of Schroon Lake extends in a southwesterly direction to the Hudson and contains a chain of small lakes, the principal of which are Loon Lake and Friends' Lake. Schroon Lake itself is about 1,000 feet above tide, while the surrounding hills rise from 500 to 800 feet above its surface. The soil is everywhere light and sandy, and not very productive. "The Stone Bridge is a great natural curiosity and gives its name to the stream passing beneath it. This stream enters Chester from Essex county, about thirty rods above the bridge, where it falls over a rocky ledge into a natural basin, whence turning east it seeks a subterranean passage by two branches, the north one passing under an arch of massive granite forty feet high, and about eighty feet chord, diminishing in capacity as the stream descends - which may be followed 156 feet from the entrance. The southern and greater branch has a passage which may be explored with much difficulty, being in some places much confined, in others opening into caverns thirty or forty feet in diameter, and filled to a great depth with water. At 247 feet from the entrance the waters disembogue in one current, having united in the vault, beneath a precipice fifty-four feet high, which terminates the bridge. The arch on this side is about five feet high and ten wide. The creek enters the river about three-fourths of a mile below the outlet of Schroon Lake." (1)

1. This description is taken from Gordon's Gazetteer, in the possession of Dr, A. W. Holden.

The early history of Chester is unfortunately involved in almost impenetrable obscurity. The most trustworthy and complete resource of the county historian, the town records, have been twice destroyed by fire, and the writer is therefore forced to rely solely on the memory of the oldest inhabitant. One of the oldest inhabitants now living in town is Otis Collins, who was born in Massachusetts in December, in 1801, and is therefore eighty-four years of age. He was brought to Chester in February, 1805, by his father, Joseph Collins, who settled about half a mile east of the site of Chestertown, on the place now occupied by Mr. Russell. The town was then about six years old, having been formed from Thurman on the 25th of March, 1799. To complete Mr. Collins's biography - he married, in 1833, Melissa Leavens, a Chester girl, who was Page 538 also born in Massachusetts. Joseph Collins was a blacksmith by trade, and plied this vocation for a few years after he came, but devoted the greater part of his time, nevertheless, to farming. When he came, in 1805, new and rudimentary roads had been opened about where they now lie. The main travel was up the Schroon River. The land was thickly covered with maple, spruce, beech, pine, and some oak timber, which was soon after utilized by the pioneer lumbermen. As is usual, in the entire Adirondack region, the custom was to float the logs down the rivers to the lumber marts below. Norman and Alanson Fox, brothers, were extensively interested in the lumber trade. At first they lived about a mile west of the site of Chestertown, but in 1809 or 1810, they moved to the plot of ground now covered with Downs's Hotel, and ran a tavern. Soon after they added to their interests a store, which stood where James McAveigh's store now is. They sold the property, eventually, to Charles Fowler, father of the people of that surname in Glens Falls. It remained in the hands of Fowler and his heirs until a few years ago.

There were no distilleries about here in 1805, but five or six years later Harvey Powers started one about a quarter of a mile west of the village of Chestertown, where Demond Gould (1) now lives.

1. Grandson of Willard Gould, an early resident here.

A grist-mill was built here before 1815, and was the only one in town. Potash was made here in considerable quantities. The Fox brothers had an ashery near their tavern - about where the Downs's Hotel barns now stands; Harvey Powers had one near the site of Mr. Faxon's tannery; and Seth Fuller owned one a little over a mile east of the village. Two small tanneries were built in this period - one "hand-tannery," situated about a quarter of a mile north of the village, and owned by Simeon Doty, and one of the same kind owned by one Stearns, which was afterwards made over to a leather factory, since defunct.

In 1805 there were only two buildings - log-houses - where now is the village of Chestertown; one on the site of Rising's Hotel, the dwelling place of Joshua Eaton, and the other just east of the site of Downs's Hotel, occupied by Rice Eaton. The only clearings here were around these houses. But within a year or two immigration directed its current to the spot, and before 1820 the wilderness had been broken and a thriving settlement had taken up its abode here.

The earliest settlers in the town were undoubtedly the Meads, who were a numerous family. Titus Mead lived on the outlet of Loon Lake, and Jabez Mead lived near him. They built the first, or about the first, grist-mill and saw-mill in town - near their houses. Levi Mead also had a grist-mill and sawmill near his house about a mile and a-half south of Chestertown, where his son Royal Mead now lives. Gideon Mead lived on a farm adjoining that of Joseph Collins. His family are all gone. Enos Mead was the son of Levi Page 539 Mead, and lived with him. His son, also named Levi, lived on the farm after them, and subsequently enlarged his possessions by the purchase of the adjoining lands. Jonathan and David Mead lived in the western part of the town, and devoted themselves exclusively to farming. Mr. Beman, a farmer, lived near Loon Lake, and was a neighbor to John Haskins. Obadiah Knapp, a blacksmith, lived about four miles north of Chestertown. His brother Benjamin, a farmer, lived near him. A brother-in-law, Noel Wightman, ran a farm in the same neighborhood. James Starbuck conducted a farm about one and a-half miles east of the village, on the ground now occupied by his grandson, Samuel Starbuck. He has kin in Glens Falls of that name. D. Punderson and J. Punderson ran separate farms near Loon Lake. Indeed Loon Lake and Friends' Lake were originally the most thickly settled portions of the town.

There was no church edifice in town in 1805, the first one, Baptist, being erected about 1810. This church was organized by Rev. Jehiel Fox, the founder, he was here called, of Chestertown. The Presbyterians held their meetings in the old school-house, which stood on the site of the Methodist parsonage. Miss Roby Simmons taught there in 1806. It was then just built in that year, - and replaced a log school-house which formerly stood about a mile further north.

The War of 1812 strongly interested the sympathies of the settlers here, and quite a number voluntarily bore arms in that struggle. A few were drafted. Joseph Collins fought in that war, and was at the battle of Plattsburgh.

The cold season of 1816 did not so seriously affect the people of Chester as would naturally be inferred. Most of the inhabitants succeeded in getting enough to eat though they were forced to go to Washington and Saratoga counties to get food.

Otis Collins removed from the homestead of his father to his present residence in Chestertown in about 1835, - soon after his marriage. It was then quite a village. The Fox brothers were then keeping store here, as also was one Lewis Newman, who afterward went to Glens Falls. There were two hotels here, the same that now hold open their doors to guests. Shadrach Mead, son of Titus Mead, before named, kept the hotel now run by Joel Rising. It was a smaller building then. A man named Smith, from Bolton, kept the other. Levi Mead ran a grist-mill then about a mile and a-half south of the village, and Jabez and Titus Mead still ran the one two miles to the west.

Owing to the loss of the town records, before mentioned, which occurred in 1876 or 1877, the measures adopted by the town during the Rebellion cannot be given in that detail which would be interesting. Special meetings were called, and votes passed which reflect great credit on the town, and reveal the loyal patriotism which glows in the bosom of the inhabitants thereof. Generally speaking, however, it is safe to say that the town furnished about three Page 540 hundred men for the Union, and to many of her volunteers awarded a bounty of $800.

In internal improvements Chester has not been slack. The roads which pass through its territory have been improved, the bridges that span its streams have been built according to the most approved pattern. Especially is this true of the bridge across the Hudson at Riverside. It was built in 1872 at an expense of $15,000, and in the spring of 1884 the wooden portion was rebuilt at an additional cost of $2,300. The work was under the supervision of a stock company of which the officers are: Edwin A. Bush, of Adirondack, president; E. D. Locke, of Pottersville, secretary; and C. H. Faxon, of Chestertown, treasurer. The directors are the foregoing and C. E. Benedict, of Pottersville, David Aldrich, of Sherman, John D. Burwell and C. P. Leland of Schroon Lake. (1)

1. To the south of the bridge on the east bank of the Hudson, and completely hidden from view by the trees is the encampment of the Riverside Camp-meeting Association. There stand in two circles - a wheel within a wheel - about one hundred handsome cottages and a hotel of comfortable dimensions. The Methodists from this part of the country hold their annual camp-meeting there a week every August, and have done so for the past twelve or thirteen years.

Following is a list of the supervisors from Chester, as far as they could be obtained: -

1813, '14, Seba Higley; 1815-17, Norman Fox; 1818-20, Hobby Mead; 1821, Norman Fox; 1822, Hobby Mead; 1823, '24, Norman Fox; 1825-28, Alanson Fox; 1829, Seba Higley; 1830-34, Hobby Mead; 1835, '36, C. J. Starbeck; 1837, Hobby Mead; 1838, William Hotchkiss; 1839, '40, Orrison Mead; 1841, '42, Thomas A. Leggett; 1843-45, William Hotchkiss; . . . . . 1860, William Hotchkiss; 1861, '62, R. C. Clapp; 1863, '64, R. P. Fuller; 1865, J. H. Walker; 1866, '67, T. J. Carpenter; 1868, Joseph Fowler; 1869, Robert S. Hall; 1870, Charles H. Faxon; 1871, L. R. Locke; 1872, Gideon Towsley; 1873, L. R. Locke; 1874, R. P. Fuller; 1875, L. R. Locke; 1876, R. P. Fuller; 1877, Robert S. Hall; 1878, Joseph A. J. Smith; 1879, Milo D. Knapp; 1880, F. A. Griswold; 1881, John H. Remington; 1882-84, James A. Skiff; 1885, Joseph B. Mills.

The present officers of Chester are as follows: Supervisor, Joseph B. Mills; town clerk, Oren Birge; commissioner of highways, John H. Remington; assessors, Ira M. Fish, Willard Wells, Alfred Scott; justices of the peace, Stanley H. Bevins, Martin F. Byrne, John S. Pasko and Cyrus F. Kipp; excise commissioners, Royal P. Mead, Howard Dunn, Hiram Towsley, superintendents of the poor, Myron Tripp, Hiland Hicks; constables, Courtney C. Collins, John F. Bryant, Dana Jenks, Irwin Smith, Rollin Russell; auditors, Andrew C. Thurston, Frederick A. Whitney, James L. Tripp; inspectors of election, District 1, James Potter, Marcus U. Mitchell, Charles S. Leggett; District 2, Jesse B. Smith, Charles Hicks, James Mills.

The population of the town as shown by the census from 1850 to 1880, Page 541 has been as follows: In 1850, 1,850; 1855, 1,936; 1860, 2,411; 1865, 2,274; 1870, 2,329; 1875, 2,193; 1880, 2,247.

MUNICIPAL HISTORY.

Chestertown. - Of the two villages in this town, Chestertown and Pottersville, the former is of greater antiquity, dating its origin as a village back to the period intervening between the years 1805 and 1820. In 1835 the place contained one Presbyterian and one Baptist Church, one grist-mill, one sawmill, clothing works, an academy, two taverns, three stores, and about one hundred and fifty dwellings. It is of late attracting considerable notice as a desirable resort for the summer months. Two and a half miles to the northeast lies Loon Lake; three miles to the southwest is Friends' Lake; four miles to the east, Brant Lake. and one mile to the south, Lake Fathomless, of which Mr. Stoddard pithily says that it "has recently bounced into public notice as the haunt of some monster of the deep, whose continued ravings have carried consternation to the breasts of all children, and who stirred up the mud 'like all git-out, (to quote), and whether the shadowy form was that of the sportive ichthyosaurus, the agile plesiosaurus, or the savage bullhead, is unto this day a profound mystery." His description of Panther and Spruce Mountains is so apt that it is best quoted here: "Panther Mountain is southeast of the village, an abrupt, dark-wooded hill, from which a grand sweep of mountains and forests can be seen, with lakes and ponds, and the strong Adirondacks away to the north and west. Spruce Mountain is passed over - or rather up, for the village is at nearly the same elevation - through a narrow defile, on the road from Lake George, with a gradual ascent for some ways that is very wild and broken in places. Once it was covered with a heavy growth of spruce, but in the summer of 1854 a fire swept through our northern forests. For days the smoke hung thick and stifling over the entire land, and Spruce Mountain was stripped of its glory. In some places a thick growth of poplar, which seems to spring spontaneously in place of heavier timber burnt or cut away, is growing; in others the mountain side is almost without life, the white, bleached stones gleaming among the blackened trunks of trees still standing, or piled together in inextricable confusion, suggesting the ghastly ruins of a dead world."

The first post-office in town was at the village of Chestertown. It was not established until some years after Mr. Collins came in 1805. It was at first situated on the site of Rising's Hotel. Obadiah Mead was probably the first postmaster, and Sharach Mead his successor. Clark Rawson, of Schroon Lake, used to carry the mail on horseback from Sandy Hill, stopping at various points along the route. He came once a week. Shadrach Mead's successors are not remembered until William Hotchkiss, who served some time before 1847, and

1. The Adirondacks, p. 183

Page 542 until 1857. John L. Weatherhead then received the appointment. In 1862 William Scofield secured the position, but gave it up again in 1868 to John L. Weatherhead. In 1870 Nelson B. Mallery succeeded Weatherhead, and in June, 1873, gave place to the present incumbent, Robert S. Hall.

Hotels. - It has been stated in former pages of this chapter that the first tavern in town stood on the site of Downs's Hotel as early as 1810.

In the present hotel of this name M. H. Downs followed John L. Weatherhead in 1869, the latter having kept it a number of years before. In the spring of 1885 he was succeeded by the present proprietors, George Ferris & Son (Charles Ferris). The building is pleasantly located on the highest land in the village. It is three stories high, and will provide for one hundred and twenty guests.

Rising's Hotel has had an intermittent career. Hobby Mead first kept a tavern there in the second quarter of the century, and the house relapsed into the seclusion of a private dwelling until about 1881, when Milo Graham reconstructed it into a hotel. In March, 1882, Joel W. Rising took possession, having just arrived from Hague, and refitted the house to its present condition. It will accommodate seventy-five guests; is neatly furnished and kept, and a toothsome, wholesome table prepared three times a day for guests.

Mercantile Interests. - Robert S. Hall, the merchant of longest standing still in active business here, began his mercantile career in April, 1865, when he and M. D. Knapp bought out the business of C. H. Faxon & Co. (the "company" being. H. S. Crittenden, now postmaster at Glens Falls). Knapp remained with Mr. Hall one year. E. N. Scofield established his drug store here in 1872. N. B. Mallery had formerly had a drug store in the same building for a short time. W. H. Remington commenced a clerkship in the general store of his brother, J. H. Remington, in 1875. In 1879 he acquired a half interest in the business. In 1880 they sold out to George H. McDonald and M. S. Graham, who conducted the business under the firm style of McDonald & Graham. W. H. Remington was clerk for them until 1882, when he purchased the interest of M. S. Graham, and the business was continued under the name of McDonald & Remington. In the spring of 1883 Mr. Remington set over his title to McDonald and went to North Creek, where he bought out E. O. Jaynes & Co. He stayed there but one year, and in the spring of 1885 returned to Chestertown and bought out the entire interest of George H. McDonald. Before J. H. Remington began here in 1875, he had been clerk for Robert S. Hall. M. C. Drake bought in with Hall in the spring of 1872. In 1873 Drake bought out Hall's interest and continued alone until the spring of 1874, when J. H. Remington acquired a one-half interest with him. The general mercantile business now conducted by James McAvcigh was established in 1877, when Thomas and James McAveigh purchased the property of Benjamin Pickens and S. G. Brayley, who had been doing business for about seven years before Page 543 under the name of Pickens & Brayley, and had failed. The firm of McAveigh Bros. continued until 1883, since which time James McAveigh has been the sole proprietor.

C. H. Faxon

C. H. Faxon

Frederick Vetter bought, on the 1st of September, 1881, the hardware business of J. R. Dunn & Co., who had been here about eighteen months preceding. The business was originally established, in 1864, by Morgan Tripp and Charles Loy, who continued until the spring of 1880 under the style of Tripp & Loy. Oren Birge, general merchant, succeeded Robert Hall in the occupancy of this building for store purposes in May, 1882. The building was erected by Uri Young, who, in company with his son George, kept store here for not less than thirty years prior to Hall's occupancy.

Manufacturing Interests. - The grist-mill (most properly classed under this head), now owned by C. H. Faxon, was originally built here, Mr. Faxon thinks about 1800, by Rev. Jehiel Fox. It was twice repaired and rebuilt up to 1841, at which time it was burned, while under the ownership and operation of Alonzo Towsley. In the following year it was built up again by John Ransom. The present occupant and owner, C. H. Faxon, bought the property in 1849 of John Ransom. The mill was enlarged, remodeled, and a new foundation put in in 1872. The mill, which has three run of stone and the "appurtenances thereto," can grind 30,000 Bushels of wheat per year.

The tannery now owned by C. H. Faxon & Son was built in 1849, by Alexander Robertson. C. H. Faxon went in with him from the beginning, and up to 1856 the business was conducted by these two gentlemen and James Crandall, under the firm name of Robertson, Faxon & Co. In 1856 Crandall withdrew and Milton Sawyer became a partner, the new firm name being Sawyer, Faxon & Co. In 1860 Mr. Faxon bought out Mr. Robertson, and in company with Sawyer, continued until June 10th, 1865. Mr. Faxon then purchased Sawyer's interest and continued alone until July 1st, 1882. At that time his son, William H. Faxon, became associated with him and the present firm title was adopted. The capacity of the tannery may be placed at about 24,000 to 30,000 sides of leather annually. About fifty hands are employed in all. The bark is brought chiefly from Essex county.

The marble works of J. M. Stone & Son (J. H. Stone) were established in 1872 by H. Hanchett. He remained but a few months when the present firm succeeded him (1873).

William B. White began harness-making here in 1874. Charles F. May came here on April 1st, 1884, from Pottersville, where he had made harnesses for three preceding years.

Attorneys. - Adam Armstrong, jr., was admitted to the bar in 1869, and undergoing a thorough course of study with Judge Stephen Brown, of Glens Falls, passed a year of study in the Albany Law School (1865). In 1865 he was unanimously nominated for district attorney, but declined. He practiced in Glens Falls until 1871 when, in October, he removed to Chestertown.

Page 544

Charles P. Coyle was graduated from the law department of Albany University, and admitted to the practice of law in March, 1883. He did not begin to practice until April, 1875, when he came to Chestertown, remaining, in the mean time, in the office of U. G. Paris, of Sandy Hill. The first year of his practice here was in partnership with Adam Armstrong, jr. Mr. Coyle is a young man of vigorous and aggressive intellect, and has already built up an extensive and increasing practice. Stanley H. Bevens was admitted in 1879, after studying the requisite period, as a partner of Adam Armstrong, jr. He began to practice here at once. Before he commenced studying law he was exclusively in the insurance business. He is one of the justices of the town.

Physicians. - Of the two physicians practicing in Chestertown, Dr. Alfred Mallery is the eldest, and we would gladly give an extended sketch of his long and honorable career as a physician, but were unable to obtain from him the necessary data. (See chapter on the Medical Fraternity.) Dr. F. E. Aldrich was admitted to the practice of his profession on the 29th day of October, 1878, at the medical department of Dartmouth College. He has practiced in Chestertown since October, 1879, and has acquired an enviable reputation, and an extensive ride.

Cluster Water Works. - This system had its origin in 1834, when Jonathan Fish laid a few pipes and conducted a part of the present supply to a few of the dwellings here. The water came from springs on the west side of Oak or Panther Mountain. The present owner and manager, the enterprising C. H. Faxon, purchased the springs, fixtures and right of way of Fish in July, 1848, and in the succeeding autumn he reconstructed the works and supplied about every family in the village. In 1856 he bought a spring on what is known as the Leggett farm (now owned by John Cunningham). Mr. Faxon didn't bring the water from this spring to the village, however, until the fall of 1880. The two sources now used will afford ample water supply for Chestertown for the next fifty years. The mountain water contains valuable mineral properties, particularly iron, which is held in solution to an extent which renders the water wholesome without injuring it for any purpose. The water from the Cunningham farm contains lime enough to make it also an unmixed benefit. In 1848 Mr. Faxon built the reservoir in the rear of McAveigh's store. About two-thirds of all the water used in the village comes through this reservoir. Its capacity is 5.000 gallons. The reservoir at the foot of Panther Mountain has a capacity for 11,000 gallons. About 2 1/2 miles of 1 1/4 inch pipe are laid. Mr. Faxon intends soon to enlarge the pipe from the Leggett or Cunningham farm.

The Chester Academy. - This was a private school built in 1845 by Rev. T. J. Haswell. In 1847 Rev. R. C. Clapp came to the village when it was nearly as large as it is at present and took charge of the academy. It remained a private institution, having an average attendance of from twenty-five Page 545 to thirty pupils. Mr. Clapp remained at its head until 1860, when it was discontinued. In 1868 it was sold to George W. Mead, the present owner, who enlarged it and converted it into a dwelling-house. The schools in the town are now conducted under the district system.

Churches. - Concerning the history of the older churches in Chestertown information is singularly meagre. The oldest church is the Baptist, which is also the oldest in the Lake George Baptist Association. It was organized in 1796 by the Rev. Jehiel Fox, to whose energy and watchful administrative capabilities is due many of the thriving interests of Chestertown to-day. The earliest records are gone, but it was under the pastorate of Rev. Jehiel Fox that the edifice was erected. It has been repeatedly remodeled. How long Mr. Fox remained is not known. In 1825 the pastor was Rev. C. W. Hodge. Rev. Henry Faxon served in that capacity from about 1827 to 1829. The last regular preaching was done by Rev. Mr. Muller, of Warrensburgh. Prior to his labors Rev. M. L. Bennett was pastor for several years and was preceded by Rev. A. C. Nichols, who remained a year. Before him Rev. A. B. Palmetier filled the pastorate for about three years. The present trustees are D. R. Gould, Moses Hedges, B. W. Mead; deacon and clerk, Amasa F. Mead.

The first Methodist preaching in Chestertown was by Rev. Tobias Spicer in 1807.

The West Church edifice, one and a half miles west of the village, was erected before 1830; that in the village about 1835. It is now owned by the Catholics. The present edifice was built in 1867 at a cost of $6,000. The present officers are: Pastor, Rev. Joel Hall, who succeeded Rev. L. L. Lawrence in April, 1884; stewards, J. M. Stone, T. J. Carpenter, Lorenzo Thurston, Norman Perry, Arthur Smith, Philander Baldwin, Charles Leggett, W. W. Emerson and Charles Thurston; class-leader, T. J. Carpenter; trustees, Richard Little, C. J. Noxon, F. C. Gould, Charles Leggett. The present membership of the church is 155, with two probationers. There are three church edifices in this charge, one called the Horicon Church, and the old West Church, both of which have fallen into permanent disuse, and the house at Chestertown. Including all these and the parsonage the church property is valued at $5,000. There are three Sunday-schools, having a total membership of 148, besides thirty-three officers and teachers. The Sunday-school superintendent at Chestertown for a number of years has been William Mundy, who still holds that position.

The Presbyterian Church here was organized in 1825 as a Dutch Reformed Church, but was subsequently changed to the Presbyterian denomination. The first elders were Bingham Eaton, Benjamin Knapp, Ezra B. Smith, Benjamin Eaton, Obadiah and Hobby Mead, and William Hotchkiss. There was no regular pastor and no trustees for many years. Mr. Kitchell, of Bolton, preached occasionally, and Rev. Courtney Smith, of Warrensburgh. From Page 546 1847 to 1849, and again from 1877 to 1882, Rev. R. C. Clapp served in the pastorate of this church. From 1842 to 1847, Rev. Thomas J. Haswell preached. Rev. John Newbanks came in 1852 and remained one year. (1) Rev. M. C. Bronson served from 1868 to 1875.

The first and present house of worship was erected in 1833, and was thoroughly remodeled and enlarged in 1872 and 1873. The present value of the church property is about $2,500. Rev. E. B. Mead is pastor. The Sunday-school was organized about 1828, and for the first thirty years of its existence Ezra B. Smith acted as superintendent. From 1858 to 1866 Rev. R. C. Clapp performed the duties incumbent on that office. From 1866 to 1875 the superintendent was Charles Loy, and was followed by the present superintendent, Rev. R. C. Clapp.

The Roman Catholic Church of Chestertown was formed in 1867. The first pastor was the Rev. De Rouch. He was succeeded by Rev. Father Kelly, who remained seven years, and was followed in turn by Rev. Father O'Mahoney, who served two years. The present pastor is Rev. Father Flood, of North Creek. The old Methodist Church was purchased at the time of organization and converted into a Catholic house of worship. The cost of remodeling the edifice was about $1,000, and $1,500 has been expended on improvements since that time. The present value of the property is estimated at $3,500.

The first church trustees were Patrick McAveigh, John McPhillips and Timothy Murphy. The present church trustees are Patrick McAveigh and Timothy Murphy. The membership numbers about thirty families. A Sunday-school was formed six years ago, Lizzie McAveigh and Anna Cohen acting as superintendents.

The Episcopal Church or Mission was formed here in 1876. The first rector was Rev. Aubrey Todrig, the second, Rev. C. B. Flagler, and the third and present, Rev. C. J. Whipple, who came on June 16th, 1882. The first house of worship consisted of the former dwelling house of Charles Fowler, re-modeled, and adapted to the purposes of its consecration. The present edifice was consecrated in June, 1884, and cost in erection about $2,500. The entire property is worth about $3.000. A Sunday-school was organized at the time of the formation of the mission, the rectors being the superintendents. At present, however, those duties and the duties of warden are preformed by Ralph Thurman. There are twenty communicants in the mission.

Pottersville. - This village derived its name from Joel F. Potter, the first business man who started the movement which resulted in the building up of the village. In 1839 he built a store (just south of the present hotel), which burned in 1876, and has never been rebuilt. Potter went from this place to Glens Falls years ago. From there he removed to Schroon Lake where he died

1. He became deranged, and is now hopelessly insane.

Page 547 three or four years ago. He left no descendants in Pottersville. In 1835 there was nothing on the site of this village except a log house which stood on the ground now covered by Daniel Virgil's house. James Danley owned this log house. His grandson, C. F. Kipp, now lives in the village. The principal business in early times was lumbering. All the inhabitants were more or less interested in it.

There never were any extensive mills here. One of the earliest industries here was the old tannery, which formerly stood about ten rods north of the present residence of C. F. Kipp and which was erected by Milton Sawyer, during the infancy of the village. He conducted the business about eight years, and was followed by Fay & Co., of Greene county, who ran the concern ten or fifteen years and then failed. Fraser & Co., of New York, who now own the Mill Brook tannery, were then at the head of the establishment for about ten years. Finally C. F. Kipp bought it and converted it into a cider-mill. On the 15th of October, 1882, it burned, and, according to Mr. Kipp, the fire remained in the tanbark which covered the ground several inches deep, for a space of eighteen months.

The hotel was built in about 1845 by Joseph Hotchkiss and Joshua Collar. L. H. Jenks, the present postmaster, worked on this, as indeed, he has on almost every building in the village. Hiram Towsley was one of the oldest proprietors; Isaac Beebe came after him, then Marcus H. Downs came into the house, enlarged it, and kept it from about 1860 to 1869. In the last named year L. R. Locke came into possession and remained until 1879, when his father, R. L. Locke, the present proprietor, became his successor. The house is nicely kept, and does its principal business in providing dinners for guests bound to and from the resorts around Schroon Lake and farther north and west.

The first postmaster here was Joel F. Potter, who received the appointment in 1839. He had the office five or six years, and then gave place to Michael Cadman, in whose name the office was conducted, by himself and his daughter, Sarah Ann Codman, until 1860. James Wallace then served until 1865, and was succeeded by William R. Cadman. In 1867 William G. Leland was appointed; Charles Brown then performed the postal functions for Pottersville for a short time, and was followed by Livingston H. Jenks, the politically-moribund incumbent of the present day.

The condition of the vicinity in 1840, in addition to what has already been inferentially described, may be deduced from the fact that the State road, so-called, which John Thurman constructed, was then in good condition; all the other roads now used about here have been opened since. Among the early residents here may be mentioned C. F. Kipp, L. H. Jenks, Joseph Hotchkiss, B. Vandenthuyzen, Garrett Vandenthuyzen, and Jacob Vandenthuyzen, three brothers. Jacob Vandenthuyzen has a number of descendants living here and about here now.

Page 548

Business Interests. - S. B. Morey has had a general store in Pottersville since 1858 or 1860. He began in the same building which he now occupies, though he has enlarged it considerably beyond its original proportions. J. H. Griswold, M. D., began preparing and dispensing drugs and medicine in the village in 1860. He came to the present location in 1880. He was admitted to the practice of medicine in 1845, and has been a licentiate of the Warren County Medical Society since 1876. Silas Daimon has kept a general store here for about twenty years. Edgar Wilcox established his hardware and grocery business here in the spring of 1879. He has occupied the buildings he now owns since September, 1883. P. M. Griswold, brother to J. H. Griswold, has been the latter's partner and conducted the dry goods department since 1880. R. S. Pritchard has kept a general store here since the fall of 1881. Frank A. Griswold, son of J. H. Griswold, was licensed to practice pharmacy in December, 1884, by the State Board of Pharmacy, and as dentist in August, 1879, under the act of the Legislature passed on June 20th, of that year.

B. S. Phelps has run the steam saw-mill, planing-mill, and grist-mill in the south part of the village since 1878.

James A. Skiff has practiced law in Pottersville ten or twelve years. His business is done chiefly before the Departments at Washington.

Dr. E. J. Dunn was graduated from the medical department of the University of New York, on March 3d, 1883. He has been practicing medicine in Pottersville for the past seven years, after completing a course of study in the office of Dr. F. L. R. Chapin, of Glens Falls.

Churches. - The oldest church in Pottersville is the Methodist, which was organized in 1810, while all this tract was as yet a thinly peopled and inhospitable wilderness. Indeed, the community had been edified by preaching for years before even that date, as tradition and the records concur in saying that the lamented Rev. Richard Jacobs exhorted and preached about here as early as 1796. The first class-leader of the class formed in 1810 was Eli Beebe. A Sunday-school was organized in 1835 by T. S. Burnet. The house of worship was erected in 1847, and repaired and beautified in the interior in 1884. Following is the list of pastors: 1811, Lansing Whiting; 1812, Gersham Price; 1813, Tobias Spicer; 1814, Gilbert Lyon; 1815, Elijah Hibbard; 1816, Daniel Braton; 1817, Daniel J. Wright; 1818, Sherman Miner; 1819, Daniel Braton; 1820, Jacob Hall; 1821, C. Silliman; 1822 and 1823, Phineas Doane; 1824, John Clarke; 1825 and 1826, Roswell Kelley, assisted by Joseph Ames; 1827, Jacob Beeman; 1828, Nathan Rice and Alexander Hulin.

In 1828 the Luzerne and Warren circuits were divided, leaving a large circuit on the north to be traveled by two preachers. In 1830 and '31 Seymour Coleman and Seth Eyres traveled the circuit; 1832, '33, Joseph McCheney, Henry Coleman, and Chester Chamberlain; 1834, Reuben Wescott and James Cobet; 1835, Joel Squier and John Fitch; 1836, William Richards and Horace Page 549 Campbell; 1837, '38, (the circuit was divided in 1837) B. Pomeroy; 1839, Alonzo Richards; 1840, '41, Ezra Sayre, assisted by William Hull and Reynolds; 1842, '43, I. D. Burnham, assisted by Ira Holmes and L. S. Mott; 1844, '45, Joseph Connor, and Warren Fox; 1846, '47, Chester Lyon; 1848, '49, Samuel Hughes; 1850, '51, G. H. Townsend; 1852, '53, David Noble; 1854, '55, Daniel Rose; 1856, '57, A. Stevens; 1858, no record kept; 1859, '69, H. M. Munsee; 1862, '63, A. Shurtliff; 1864, F. F. Hannah; 1865, '66, Z. Picket; 1867, '68, G. D. Rose; 1870, '71, '72, R. Campbell; 1873, J. C. Walker; 1874, '75, P. M. Hitchcock; 1876, '77, J. W. Coons; 1878, '79, E. Comstock; 1880, R. Patterson; 1881, H. S. Allen; 1882, '83, Joel Hall; 1884, '85, R. E. Jenkins.

The Episcopal Church was organized, and the edifice erected soar after the construction of the Methodist house of worship. No services are held here now.

Contact Us | ©1998-2007 Warren County: Genealogy and History