Warren County, New York
Genealogy and History

1860 French's Gazetteer Town Profiles Part 2

Towns of Johnsburgh, Luzerne, Queensbury, Stony Creek, Thurman, & Warrensburgh

JOHNSBURGH-(9) was formed from Thurman, April 6, 1805. It lies upon the bank of the Hudson, and is the N.W. corner town of the co. Its surface is very broken and mountainous. The Schroon Range occupies the N. and central parts; and a spur of the Kayaderosseras Range extends into the s. Crane Mt.(1), the highest peak of the latter, is about 3,500 feet above tide. The greater part of the town is too rough and broken for cultivation. The arable land is confined to the narrow valleys. The soil is a sandy and gravelly loam. Kaolin, serpentine iron ore, and other minerals are found. There are 3 large tanneries in town. Johnsburgh, (p.v.) on Mill Creek, contains 20 houses; Nobles Corners, on the stream, 25; North Creek, (p.v.) on the Hudson, at the mouth of North Creek, 15; and The Glen, (p.o.) on the Hudson, in the S.E. corner of the town, 7. The first settlement was made soon after the close of the Revolutionary War, by John Thurman, the proprietor of extensive tracts in this part of the State.(2) The first church (Bap.) was organized in 1793. There are 4 churches in town.(3)

9. Named from John Thurman, an early settler.

1. There is a small pond near the summit of the mountain which is much frequented by cranes; and from this circumstance it derives its name. Seen from Warrensburgh, 11 mi. distant, the mountain presents a striking semblance to the profile of the human face.

2. Among the early settlers were Robt. Woddell, Geo. Hodgson, John Wilkinson, Reuben and Calvin Washburn, and Samuel Somerville. The first birth was that of Polly Woddell; the first marriage, that of Calvin Washburn and Betsey Woddell; and the first death, that of Enos Grover. The first mills were erected in 1789 and '90, by Mr. Thurman. He opened a store and built a distillery; and in 1795 he erected a woolen factory. This was soon after changed to a cotton factory; and as early as 17978 he erected calico printing works, the first, it is believed, in America.

3. Bap., M.E., Free Will Bap., and Wes. Meth.


LUZERNE- was formed from Queensbury, April 10, 1792, as "Fairfield." Its name was changed april 6, 1808. A strip of territory 1 mi. wide was set off to Queensbury, March 30, 1802. It lies upon the E. bank of Hudson River, in the S. extremity of the co. Two branches of the Luzerne Mts. extend through the town, respectively occupying the N. and S. portions. They are separated by the valley which extends S.W. from the S. end of Lake George. A chain of small lakes lies along its course; and ind them two streams take rise, one of which flows to Lake George and the other to the Hudson.(4) About one-half of the surface bordering upon the river is a high, hilly region, but arable. Kettle Bottom, in the s. part, and several peaks of the ridge which extends along the E. border, are 2,000 to 2.500 feet above tide. The soil is a light, sandy loam. Luzerne (p.v.) is situated on the Hudson, above its confluence with Sacandaga River. Pop. 280. The first settlements were made about 1770, along the Hudson. Most of the early settlers occupied lands leased from Ebenezer Jessup, the patentee. There are 3 churches in town.(5)

4. Hadley and Jessup Falls, upon the Hudson, are within this town.

5. Bap. M.E. and Union.


QUEENSBURY- was incorporated by patent(6) as a township, May 20, 1762, and recognized as a town, March 13, 1786. Luzerne was taken off in 1792, and a part of Caldwell in 1802. It lies between Lake George and the Hudson, and is the S.E. corner town of the co. The W. part is occupied by the Luzerne Mts., and the extreme N. part by French Mt., a high, rocky bluff which rises precipitously from the surface of Lake George to a height of 2,500 to 3,000 feet above tide. The central and s. parts are rolling, gradually declining toward the s. The soil is a light, sandy loam in the interior, and a deep, tough clay upon the river. The fall in the Hudson at Glens Falls is about 50 feet high, and affords valuable mill privileges. Below the fall is a small island, through which is a cave extending from one channel to the other. The manufacture of lumber is largely carried on.(7) Glens Falls,(8) (p.v.) incorp. April 12, 1839, is situated on the Hudson, in the s. part. It contains 9 churches, the Glens Falls Academy, 3 newspaper offices, 2 banks, and several manufactories.(9) Pop. 3,420. West Glens Falls, on the Hudson, contains 25 houses; and Queensbury, (p.v.) in the E. part 20. French Mountain (p.o.) is a hamlet. The summit level of the Champlain Canal is fed through the Glens Falls navigable feeder with water taken from the Hudson above the falls. The settlement was commenced in 1766; but its progress was very slow until after the close of the Revolution.(10) The first house of worship was erected by the Society of Friends, in 1786. There are now 11 churches in town.(11)

6. This patent embraced 2,300 acres.

7. An immense number of logs is annually floated down from the pine forests of the Upper Hudson to Glens Falls and Fort Edward. At one mill upon the State dam at the former place are 12 gates and 250 saws.

8. The Indian name of this place is said to have been Kay-au-do-ros-sa. It was called "Glenville" for some time.

9. This place contains 4 sawmills, a flouring mill, and an establishment for sawing marble.

10. Among the first settlers were Abraham Wing, Reed Ferris, Asaph and Benajah Putnam, Jeffrey Cooper, Ichabod Merritt, and Caleb Dowell. Immediately after the war, Benj. Wing, Nehemiah Seelice, Phineas Babcock, Wm. Roland, David Bennett, James Houghson, Silas Brown, and Jeremiah Briggs settled in town.

11. 2 Friends, 2 R.C., Bap., M.E., Preb., Prot. E., Ch. of Messiah, Asso. Presb., and Univ.


STONY CREEK- was formed from "Athol,"(12) Nov. 3, 1852. It lies upon the W. bank of Hudson River, and is the S.W. corner town of the co. Nearly the whole town is still a wilderness. Through the center of the town extend mountain ranges, several peaks of which attain an elevation of more than 2,000 feet. The valleys of E. and W. Stony Creeks are narrow ravines, forming a natural pass between the valleys of the Hudson and Sacandaga. The soil is a light, sandy loam. Creek Center (p.o.) and Stony Creek, (p.o.) both upon Stony Creek, are hamlets. The first settlement was made about 1795.(1) The first preacher was Jonathan Paul, a Christian Indian. The first church (Presb.) was formed about 1800.(2)

12. See Thurman.

1. The first settlers were James Ferguson, James, John, and Geo. Donald, Wm. Riley, Wm. and Alex. Murray, Hugh McMiller, and John and Jas. E. Cameron. The first birth was that of Anna Murray.

2. The census reports 4 churches; Bap., M.E., Presb., Wes. Meth.


THURMAN-(3) was formed April 10, 1792. Bolton and Chester were taken off in 1899, Johnsburgh in 1805, and a part of Caldwell in 1810. The town was divided into "Athol" and Warrensburgh Feb. 12, 1813; and "Athol" was divided into Thurman and Stony Creek, Nov. 3, 1852. It lies upon the W. bank of the Hudson, S.W. of the center of the co. The W. part is a high, broken upland, almost unknown except to hunters. The E. portion, along the Hudson, is a high, broken upland, almost unknown except to hunters. The E. portion, along the Hudson, is a hilly plateau, with several peaks rising 1,000 feet above the valley. Among the hills are numerous small lakes. The soil is a light, sandy loam. Athol (p.o.) and Thurman, (p.o.) both in the E. part, are hamlets. Settlement was commenced in the latter part of the last century.(4) A Bap. church was first formed; Elder Jehiel Fox was the first preacher. There are now 4 churches in town.(5)

3. Named in honor of John Thurman.

4. Among the early settlers were Thurston Kingston, Wm. Johnson, Zebadiah Burdick, Elisha Kendall, Oliver Brooks, Richardson Moore, Benajah Wells, Amos Bowen, Abiel Frost, and John King. The first marriage was that of Duncan McGuen and Miss Cameron; and the first death, that of John Reynolds.

5. Bap., M.E., Prot. Meth, and Wes. Meth.


WARRENSBURGH- was formed from Thurman, Feb. 12, 1813. It lies between the two branches of the Hudson, near the center of the co., and upon the ridges s. of the junction. The peninsular portion is a rolling plateau 600 to 1,000 feet above the river. The S.W. part is occupied by an immense mountain mass with several summits 2,400 to 3,000 feet above tide. Nearly two-thirds of the land in town is arable. The soil is a light, sandy loam among the hills, andupon the river it is nearly the same, mixed with some clay. Warrensburgh (p.v.) is on Schroon River, 3 mi. from its junction with the Hudson. Pop. 700. Across the Hudson, below the mouth of Schroon River, is a long bridge connecting this town with Thurman. The first settlement was made a few years after the close of the Revolution.(6) A M.E. church, the first in town, was organized in 1796; and the Rev. Henry Ryan was the first minister. There are 4 churches in town.(7)

6. Wm. Bond, Joseph Hutchinson, Wm. Lee, Josiah Woodward, ___ Varnum, Richardson Thurman, and Wm. Johnson were some of the first settlers. The first death was that of Wm. Johnson.

7. 2 M.E., Wes. Meth., and Presb.


Source: "Gazetteer of New York State, Embracing a Comprehensive View of the Geography, Geology, and General History of the State, and a Complete History and Description of Every County, City, Town, Village and Locality, with Full Tables of Statistics," by J.H. French. Syracuse: R.P. Smith, Publisher. 1860.

Contact Us | ©1998-2007 Warren County: Genealogy and History