Part of the Steuben Co., NY GenWeb - Judy Allen Cwiklinski coordinator
Steuben County, New York
Compiled by: Millard F. Roberts
|John Single Paper Company, Ltd., Syracuse, N.Y., 1891|
This was typed and contributed by Gloria Banks Kirkwood
ERWIN - pgs 301 and 302
"Township lies in the southeast part of the county, west of Corning, and was formerly township No. 2, of the Second Range, of the Phelps and Gorham Purchase. It was formed from the township of Painted Post, January 27, 1826. Lindley was taken off in 1837, and a part of Corning was annexed in 1856.
Its surface is about equally divided between high, rolling upland, and the low valleys of the streams. The summits of the hills are from four hundred to six hundred feet above the valleys of the streams. The Tioga and Canisteo rivers near the southeast part of the town, and the Tioga and Conhocton near the eastern boundary of the town north of the center, forming the Chemung river. The valleys of these streams are from one to two miles wide, and are among the richest and most productive lands of the county. The soil upon the hills is a shaley and clayey loam, and in the valley it is a fine fertile alluvium. The population in 1890 was 1,883."
Coopers Plains Cemetery - (er1)
Fairview Cemetery - (er2) (9/23/00)
Unknown Burials - (er2b)
West High Street Cemetery - (er3) (6/17/00)
Townsend Cemetery - (er5) (4/25/02)
Coopers Chapel Knoll Cemetery - (er6)
You are our [an error occurred while processing this directive] visitor to visit this page thanks for stopping by!
Last modified Thursday, 25-Apr-2002 18:58:12 MDT
Cwiklinski Steuben Co., NY GenWeb
coordinator 1999-2000 ©
Commercial use prohibited. All right's reserved.