(if the above menus do not drop down, click here)
***Calvary Cemetery 450 Gravestone Pictures Added***
updated April 21, 2015
Queens County was organized November 1, 1683 having previously been included in the North and West Ridings of Yorkshire. Its original boundaries have not been changed. It lies upon Long Island, near the west extremity, is centrally distant 133 miles from Alban, and contains 410 square miles. It extends across the island, bordering both upon Long Island Sound and the ocean. Its coasts are deeply indented by irregular inlets, bays and harbors. The principal of thes upon the sound are Oyster Bay, Cold Spring and Oyster Harbors, Mill Neck Creek, Hempstead Harbor, Manhasset Bay, Little Neck Bay, Little Bay, Powells Cove, Flushing Bay and Bowery Bay. Upon the East River are Halletts Cove and the narrow passage of Hell Bays. Along these bays and creeks that flow into them are wide salt meadows, the most extensive being upon the south shore. Outside of the bays on the ocean side is a series of beaches and shifting sand ridges, affording a complete protection from the storms of the ocean. These beaches are divided into distinct parts by several inlets opening into the bay.
The people are principally engaged in agriculture and market gardening. Fishing and the taking of oysters afford occupation to a large number of people. An extensive coasting trade is carried on, and the county each year furnishes a large quota of sailors. Manufactures are extensive and various, and are confined principally to the north shore.
The county was mostly
settled by English immigrants, under the authority of the Dutch Government
during the last 20 years of its existence. The eastern extremity of
Long Island was claimed by the English colonies of New England; and the
boundary line was the subject of a long and angry dispute, which was never
entirely settled until the final subjugation of New York by the British in
1664. The whole of this county was under Dutch, except Oyster Bay,
which was a disputed territory. The first planters came on in
considerable numbers, and were associated in the purchase of the lands
from the Indians. They were mostly united by a common religious
faith; and they were invested with certain civil rights which were
afterward confirmed by the English Government of New York, and some of
which continue to the present time.
Cities, Towns, Villages and Neighborhoods Formation: By 1870 Queen county had the six towns listed in the Gazetteer of New York by French (1860) and the 11 villages (plus villages of Flushing, Osyer Bay, Newtown, Hempstead and Jamaica). In 1870 Long Island City was incorporated which consisted of the Village of Astoria and some areas of the Town of Newtown. In 1898, the towns of Newtown, Flushing, Jamaica, plus Long Island City and the Rockaway Peninsula became the borough of Queens, part of New York City. The towns on Hempstead, North Hempstead and Oyster Bay (except the Rockaway Peninsula) became part of the new Nassau County. Current localities are now referred to as 'Neighborhoods'. For the purpose of genealogical history, the old towns and villages are listed and current neighborhoods are linked to their webpages. Read more about the dates and formation of Queens County's towns, villages and hamlet on the Queens County History page.
last updated April 21, 2015