1895 Landmark's History Book Town of Volney, Oswego County, NY  
                  1895 Landmarks of Oswego County, NY Book

Chapter XXXVI


Many thanks and appreciation to Merry Gantley for her time and efforts in transcribing this history of Volney.  My Oswego Co. surnames I'm researching:   Holbrook, Sherman, Pitcher, Mc Koon, Bell, O’Brien.   
Merry Gantley at:  <mgantley@twcny.rr.com>
    The original town of Volney, which was set off from Mexico on the 21st of March, 1806, comprised the present towns of Scriba, Palermo, Volney and Schroeppel.  It included the 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th, 18th and 24th townships of Scriba’s patent, and was called Fredericksburgh (the original name of township 17), from George Scriba’s son Frederick William.  April 5, 1811, survey township 18, lying north of the base line of Scriba’s patent, and the north part of No. 17, adjoining that township on the south, were erected into the present town of Scriba.  At the same time the name of the remaining territory was changed from Fredericksburgh to Volney.*1  On the 4th of April, 1832, Palermo and Schroeppel were taken off, leaving this town with its present area of 29,472 acres.  It comprises 170 lots, situated in three survey townships, as follows:
Eighty-three lots in township 15, originally called Mentz*2, surveyed by Elijah BLAKE and Ebenezer WRIGHT in 1796, and being the north part of the town; forty-one lots in No. 16, known originally as Georgia, lying in the south part of Volney, and surveyed by Moses WRIGHT the same year; and forty-six lots in No. 17 (or Fredericksburgh), the largest township of the original six, surveyed by Benjamin WINCH and Miles DOOLITTLE, also in 1796, and comprising the west third of the town.  Elijah Blake, one of the surveyors, afterward settled in Williamstown, in this county, and was considered the best surveyor among the twenty-two employed by Benjamin Wright in laying out Scriba’s great patent.

*1. It was so named in honor of Comte Constantin Francois Chasseboeuf De Volney, the celebrated French philosopher, author, traveler, and academician, who visited this locality very early in the present century, probably in 1808.  He came from Montreal, and in a storm during the voyage “lost many of his papers and came near losing his life.”  He proceeded up the river to Oswego Falls and was entertained by Noah A. WHITNEY, who was so charmed with his noble guest that he proposed calling the town Volney, a suggestion unanimously approved and subsequently adopted.
*2. Properly Mainz, the capital of the province of Rhine-Hesse, one of the strongest fortresses in Germany.

    The town also includes John TAYLOR’s location of 200 acres; Frederick CLUTE’s location of 440 acres; Gerret NEWKERK’s location of 200 acres; Coonradt STEEN’s location of 200 acres; Gerret G, VAN WAGENEN’s location of 1,440 acres, sold by him to William HARPER and hence commonly known as Harper’s location; and Charles NEWKERK’s location of 1,100 acres.  These “locations” were lands lying along the river which had been sold by the State before the contract with the Roosevelts in 1791, and which were not included in the lands patented to Scriba in 1794, as will be seen by a reference to that patent herein-before set forth. Of the land included in “Harper’s location” the State reserved fifty acres at the falls, now included within the corporate limits of Fulton; this was long known as the Oswego Falls State Reservation.

    Volney is an irregular, interior town lying immediately east or northeast of the Oswego River and southwest from the center of the county.   It is bounded on the north by Scriba and New Haven, on the east by Palermo and Schroeppel, on the south by the Oswego River, which divides it from Granby and Oswego and on the west by the same stream and Scriba.  The surface is undulating with generally high steep banks along the river, and with ridges from 100 to 200 feet above that stream and 50 to 100 feet above the valleys.  Bordering the Oswego River the red sandstone formation crops out, and in former years was extensively quarried for building purposes.  The soil is a rich sandy and gravelly loam, well adapted to grazing and to all kinds of farming.

    Dense forests of pine, basswood or American linden, oak, chestnut, ash beech and sugar maple originally covered the entire territory, and gave employment to numerous saw mills and kindred establishments.  The pine was abundant and very large and fine and early settlers found the business of furnishing spars and masts of this timber for ocean-going ships so profitable that it flourished as a regular pursuit from 1812 until about 1825.  This wilderness was long the home of various game—the black bear, the fox, deer, the moose, panther, wolf, beaver, martin, mink and otter, nearly all of which long since disappeared.  The more ferocious, especially the wolf and panther, were so troublesome to the pioneers that large bounties were offered for their destruction.

    The principal stream of the town is the Oswego River, which forms the western or southwestern boundary for about ten miles in length, and which furnishes for manufacturing purposes, an almost unparalleled water-power.  About equidistant above and below the center of Fulton village are what were early called the “Upper” and the “Lower Landing,” being respectively the head and foot of the rapids and about one mile apart.  This intervening stretch of water, flowing over an uneven, rocky bottom was the “portage of Oswego Falls” and caused the two places to spring into existence, as subsequently noted.  Around this all goods and merchandise, and sometime boats and bateaux were carried.  Canoes and similar craft were frequently piloted through it, a feat usually performed by Indians and immortalized by J. Fenimore Cooper in his “Leatherstocking Tales.”  The great water power afforded at this point and a little farther down at Seneca Hill, opposite Minetto, early gave rise to various manufacturing interests, which are noticed in their proper order.  This development began with the present century, and has continued to the present time, being the second in importance in Oswego County.  It has had an important influence upon the settlement of Volney and particularly of Fulton village, and from the earliest pioneer period attracted the attention of capitalists and business men.

    The Oswego River, especially within the limits of this town, is rich in history.  The trips of Jesuit missionaries, the discovery of the Oswego Falls*1 by Father Simon Le Moine in 1653, numerous expeditions of Indians, French, and English, and many other events along this stream, have already been narrated.  Soon after the engagement at Battle Island, which gave it its name, Colonel Bradstreet, acting under orders from the governor, built a fort in what is now Fulton village, between First street and the canal, a little west of the subsequent residence of Timothy PRATT.  For several years, or until the Revolutionary war, it was occupied by a small garrison.  This was the first permanent structure of any kind erected within the present town of Volney.
*1 In the Indian language Ahaouete.
    Several small streams have contributed materially to the development of the town, principally by furnishing power for numerous saw mills and other manufacturing establishments.  Black Creek, after flowing through two or three lakes, empties into the Oswego River near Battle Island, and Spafford’s Creek just below Fulton village.  Sixmile Creek, after receiving the waters of Bell Creek, passes into Schroeppel and flows into the Oneida River.  These with other small brooks afford excellent drainage and an unfailing water supply.

    The first bridge across the Oswego River within the limits of Volney was built about 1814 at the upper landing.  It crossed Yelverton Island, and was a toll bridge, and one of the earlier toll collectors was John, the father of M. B. and a brother of William SCHENCK.  In 1826 another toll bridge was erected near the site of the present lower bridge in Fulton.  In 1849 it was purchased by the village and the towns of Volney and Granby for $2,000.  The act authorizing this was passed April 10, 1849, and appointed George SALMON, De Witt GARDNER, and Sands N. KENYON commissioners for the purpose.  It also authorized a tax levy of $4,000 on the two towns.  It was then made permanently a free bridge.  In 1849 the old toll bridge near the upper landing was replaced by a new structure at a cost of about $16,000, of which the State paid $1,900.  This was erected mainly by Colonel VOORHEES, and was burned October 4, 1862, and rebuilt.  It occupied the site of the present iron bridge, which was built in 1872.  The present lower iron bridge in Fulton was erected in 1871.  In 1872 the iron bridge between Seneca Hill and Minetto was constructed.

    In 1827 Volney had sixty-one road districts, and three years later seventy-four.  In 1849 the Oswego and Syracuse plank road was completed through the town.  The Oswego and Hastings plank road also passed through Volney.  Both of these were long ago discontinued as plank roads.  The town now has seventy-nine road districts.

    For many years there has been in this town the belief that oil or natural gas exists below the suface.  Gas is said to have been discovered on the Edward Van Buren farm, three miles below Fulton, prior to 1865.  Nothing was done, however until August, 1887, when the Fulton Natural Gas, Oil, and Mining Company was organized with a capital of $25,000.  Boring was commenced, and on January 2, 1888, gas was struck, but the well was soon afterward abandoned.  In January, 1895, the subject was revived, and a well was started on the “flats” within the village limits, in which gas was struck March 27 at a depth of 1,685 feet.  A large number of acres in the town have been leased with a view of sinking wells.

    The principal occupation of the inhabitants outside the village of Fulton is dairying and general farming.  All kinds of farm products are grown abundantly and with profit to the husbandman.  In 1860 the yield of farm productions aggregated as follows:
Wheat, 1,686 bushels winter and 76,340 spring; hay 4, 307 tons; potatoes, 23,235 bushels; apples, 39,370 bushels; butter, 102,652 pounds; cheese, 58,451 pounds; domestic cloths, 1,351 yards.  At this time the town contained 16,141 acres improved land; real estate valued at $574,963 and personal property at $44,250; 1,166 dwellings, 1,343 families, 855 freeholders, 904 horses, 1,026 oxen and calves, 1,124 cows, 2,185 sheep, and 1,606 swine.

    The development of the dairying industry dates from about 1863, when cheese and butter factories began to come into existence.  There are at present six of these establishments in operation, all doing a large and profitable business.  Fruit growing is given considerable attention, though not so much as in former years.
    The first town meeting of Fredericksburgh was held at the tavern of Major Lawrence VAN VALKENBURGH at the “Orchard Lock” in the spring of 1807, about a year after the town was erected from Mexico, and the following officers were chosen:
    Ebenezer WRIGHT, supervisor;  Samuel TIFFANY, town clerk;  Gideon SEYMOUR, Henry EVERTS and Hiel STONE, assessors;  Lawerence VAN VALKENBURGH and Asahel BUSH, overseers of the poor;  John TYLER, Abraham VAN VALKENBURGH and Hiel STONE commissioners of highways;  Abraham Van Valkenburgh, collector; Joseph F. SWEET and Abraham Van Valkenburgh, constables;  Asahel Bush, Lawrence Van Valkenburgh, John Tyler, Joseph F. Sweet, William BURT, and Elisha WHITNEY, fenceviewers;  John Tyler and Lawrence Van Valkenburgh, poundmasters.  Messers. Stone, Bush, Tyler, Everts, Whitney, Tiffany, Sweet, and Burt, resided in what is now Scriba;  the others lived in the present town of Volney.  Mr. Wright was re-elected supervisor to 1811 inclusive.  The town clerks of Fredericksburgh were Samuel TIFFANY in 1807-9 and John WATERHOUSE in 1810-11.

    The first town meeting for the town of Volney, after the name Fredericksburgh was dropped, was held at the inn of Major Van Valkenburgh  March 3, 1812, and the following officers were elected:
    Supervisor, Samuel HOLLAND;  town clerk, John WATERHOUSE;  assessors, Ebenezer WRIGHT, Oliver BURDICK, and Stephen GARDNER;  poormasters, Samuel HOLLAND and Gideon CANDEE;  commissioners of highways, Phineas CHAPIN, Johathan HOOKER, and Nathaniel FOSTER;  collector, Asa WHITNEY;  constables, Asa Whitney, Richard M. GRAHAM, and Joseph SUTTON;  pathmasters, Thomas VICKERY, Noah A. WHITNEY, Josiah MEYERS, James BUNDY, Gideon SEYMOUR, Aaron DODGE, Sylvanus HOPKINS, Johathan HOOKER, and Richard M. GRAHAM.

    All of these lived in Volney except Chapin and Hopkins, who resided in what is now Palermo, and Sutton and Vickery, who lived in the present town of Schroeppel.  The town meetings were held at Major Van Valkenburgh’s from 1807 to 1812 inclusive, at Amos FOSTER’s in 1813-14, at Noah RUST’s in 1815, at Volney Center in 1816-30, at the school house in 1831, at John GASPER’s tavern in 1832-35, at Jeremiah HULL’s in 1836-38 and 1840, at S. H. De GRAW’s in Fulton in 1839, at Gasper’s Hotel in 1841-47 and 1851-52, at Elliott HARROUN’s in Fulton in 1848-50, near Gasper’s in 1853, and since then in Fulton village.

    The supervisors of the town have been as follows:
    Ebenezer WRIGHT, 1807-11;  Samuel Holland, 1812;  Isaac CROCKER, 1813 and 1815;  Oliver BURDICK, 1814, 1816, 1818-30, 1834-35;  Joseph EASTON, 1817;  George F. FALLEY, 1831-33, 1843;  Aaron G. FISH, 1836, 1840-41; Darius R. BELLOWS, 1837;  Wm. INGALL, 1838-39;  Peter H. KELLER, 1842, 1844;  John PARKER, 1845-46;  Lovwell JOHNSON, 1847-49, John J. WOLCOTT, 1850, 1852-54, 1859;  Hiram H. COATS, 1851;  C. C. LIVINGSTON, 1855;  Samuel F. CASE, 1856-57;  Wm P. P. WOODIN, 1858;  Willard JOHNSON, 1860-61, 1890;  Gardner WOOD, 1862, 1864;  John H. WOODIN, 1863;  Chauncey B. HANCOCK, 1865;  Henry C. HOWE, 1866-67, 1869-70;  Abraham HOWE, 1868;  Gilbert BENEDICT, 1871;  Charles J. De GRAW, 1872;  Henry E. NICHOLS, 1873, 1876-77;  George D. FOSTER, 1874;  John W. FRANCIS, 1875;  Frederick D. VAN WAGENER, 1878;  Arvin RICE, 1879-82;  William B. HOWARD, 1883, 1887-89;  Thomas D. LEWIS, 1891-95.

    The town clerks have been:
    Samuel Tiffany, 1807-09;  John WATERHOUSE, 1810-12;  Jeremiah TAYLOR, 1813;  Amos BISHOP, 1814;  Joseph EASTON, 1815-16;  James LYON, 1817;  Elisha CANDEE, 1818-22;  Elijah GOODELL, 1823-26;  Darius R. BELLOWS, 1827-32;  Samuel DEAN, 1833;  Richard D. HUBBARD, 1834-35;  Hiram BRADWAY, 1836-40;  James D. LASHER, 1841-42, 1844;  John J. WOLCOTT, 1843;  Albert TAYLOR, 1845-48;  Charles A. DEAN, 1849;  Andrew HANNA, 1850;  Melvin F. STEPHENS, 1851;  Richard E. LUSK, 1852;  S. N. DADA, 1853-54;  Solon H. CLOUGH, 1855;  Wm. P. P. WOODIN, 1856-57;  Henry H. HAYNES, 1858;  Orville J. JENNINGS, 1859;  William ANDREWS, 1860;  Morris C. HIGHRITER, 1861-62, 1872-75;  George BACKUS, 1863;  Henry C. HOWE, 1864-65;  Charles H. DAVID, 1866;  Henry E. NICHOLS, 1867, 1869-70;  John C. HIGHRITER, jr., 1868;  Arvin RICE, jr., 1871; Amos YOUMANS, 1876-78;  John H. CAVENAUGH, 1879;  E. F. DE GRAW, 1880-81;  Joseph FRANCIS, 1882-83;  Clarence W. STREETER, 1884-85;  Charles A. MILLER, 1886-87;  Morris C. HIGHRITER, 1888-89;  C. H. GARDNER, 1890-91;  Edwin B. MC CULLY, 1892;  G. W. HOFF, 1893; W. P. HILLICK, 1894.

    The town officers for 1894-5 were as follows:
    Thomas D. LEWIS, supervisor;  William P. HILLICK, town clerk;  Charles H. DAVID, John W. DISTIN, Girard TAFT, and Franklin KEENAN, justices of the peace;  W. Henry OWEN, Seymour PARMELEE, and O. D. ARMOUR, assessors;  Antone A. DEAN, highway commissioner;   Henry S. GARDNER and W. W. LOOMIS, overseers of the poor;  Harry T. SEYMOUR, collector.  The town has six election districts, and in November, 1894, polled 1,289 votes.

    During the eighteenth century, particularly after 1750, the site of Fulton village was the seat of a floating population, composed mainly of troops, Indian traders and boatmen.  Save the fort previously mentioned, it presented no evidence of civilized habitation.

    Actual settlement in the present town of Volney commenced more than one hundred years ago, the first permanent settler being Daniel MASTERS, a blacksmith, who located at the “upper landing” in what is now Fulton in 1793, building and occupying a log house near Bradstreet’s fort.  His blacksmith shop was the first one in Oswego county.  He was noted as a maker of spear-heads, for each of which he received a silver dollar.  He was a constable of Mexico in 1800 and a pathmaster in 1803.  In 1794 he opened the first tavern in Volney.  In 1796, at which time two or three families had located on or near the site of Fulton village, he and a Mr. GOODELL built a saw mill at this point, the first of any kind in town.  A few years later he removed to an island near Sackett’s Harbor, where he died.

    In the spring of 1795 Lawrence VAN VALKENBURGH, familiarly called “the major,” purchased Cluet’s location on the east side of the river below the falls, and the peninsula afterward called “Orchard Lock” became his permanent home.  He came from Chatham, Columbia county, and in 1792 had chosen a location on the site of the village of Oswego Falls, as detailed in the chapter devoted to Granby.  His purchase in Volney comprised 600 acres, and his house was built on the point a little southwest of the Orchard Lock, where he lived until his death, about 1828.  Evidences still exist indicating the site where his dwelling stood.  The major’s family consisted of himself, his wife, his son Abraham and his wife (Zilpha), and a younger son James.  The latter was killed at Salina (Syracuse) at an early day, leaving no descendants.  Abraham was the father of Lawrence Van Valkenburgh, who was born in what is now the village of Oswego Falls in November 1793, and of Col. Ephraim Van Valkenburgh, who was born here in 1796, being the first white child born in Volney.  Colonel Ephraim was the father of Dixon Van Valkenburgh, who was born here in 1822 and died in Oswego July 24, 1887.
    Major Lawrence Van Valkenburgh had altogether five sons.  He was a slave owner, and at an early date opened his house as a tavern.  This was a frame structure with log compartments at either end, the middle or frame part being used for dances, parties, town meetings, and public entertainments.  It was the “headquarters” for all the country round about.  Abraham Van Valkenburgh was a prominent man in early times.  He was elected a constable of Mexico in 1798 and appointed a justice of the peace for Fredericksburgh in 1810.  June 8, 1797, he was licensed to keep a public house by John MEYER, the first justice of the peace in Oswego county and the first supervisor of Mexico.  He died in Salina.

    About 1796 John VAN BUREN, a cousin of President Martin Van Buren, became the third settler of the town.  Coming from Kinderhook, N. Y., he first located on the west side of the river in Granby, but very soon afterward removed to the east bank and erected a house on the site of the home of his grandson Volkert.  He had five sons, Peter, John, jr., Jacob, Volkert and David.  Jacob married a daughter of Whitman CHURCH.  She related that the first dance whe ever attended was at Van Valkenburgh’s tavern, where the music consisted of the melodious voice of a colored woman, a slave servant of Peter SHARP.  Volkert VAN BUREN resided near the old homestead and owned a large tract of land, a saw mill on Black Creek, and grist mill at Battle Island.  David Van Buren, born here in October, 1798, was for many years the second oldest resident in the county, and died on the homestead February 20, 1887.  A nephew of his, Daniel VAN BUREN, is living on the farm where he was born in 1819.  Peter was a half-brother to the others and was the father of John C. Van Buren.  He was a constable of Mexico in 1803-4.  Charles Van Buren, the owner of Van Buren Island, died in February, 1885, aged sixty years.

    In 1791 John WATERHOUSE, the fourth settler of the town, took up his residence on Charles NEWKERK’s location, where he died in August, 1790, his being the first death in Volney.  His children were Nathaniel, who died in 1800;  John, jr., and Benjamin B. who moved west in 1837; and Artemesia and Harriet.  Artemesia Waterhouse taught the first school in town in 1800.  Mr. Waterhouse was the first town clerk of Volney and the second supervisor.  At this time (1797) there was no house or clearing on either side of the river between the Falls and Three River Point.  There was a road or bridle path on the east side from the first named point to Van Valkenburgh’s but it was a very poor one.  In 1810 or 1811 John, jr., and Benjamin B. Waterhouse with Isaac CROCKER and Mathew MC NAIR built a saw mill on “Waterhouse” Creek at a point where Sixth street in Fulton crosses that stream.  Afterward Samuel HOLLAND and Mr. Crocker purchased the interest of Mc Nair in the saw mill and also in the portage.

    Ebenezer WELLS was the only person in this town whose name appears on the old assessment roll for the great town of Mexico in 1798, and his property was located in the 17th township.  It does not appear that any new settlers came in during either this year or 1799.  Yet John HOOPER and a Mr. DARLEY took up their residence here about this time.

    In 1800 Ebenezer WRIGHT, the surveyor, located at the lower landing and has generally been considered the fifth settler in the town.  He was a very prominent man, not only in his profession, but in local public affairs.  He was the first and only supervisor of Fredericksburgh, serving from 1807 to 1811 inclusive, and was appointed a justice of the peace here in 1804 and again in 1809.  At a later period he moved West and died there.  In this same year (1800) a native of Scotland named AYYON or EATON, in company with John BLAKEMAN, came into Volney and became the first settlers on Steen’s location;  their cabin stood near what is now the corner of First and Oneida streets in Fulton village.  On the bank of the river they opened a quarry for the purpose of getting out furnace hearths, but the quality of the rock proved undesirable, and another quarry was opened on Harper’s location, which was worked for some time.

    At this period, the very beginning of the present century, when the entire population of what is now the town of Volney was scattered along the river bank a little above, but principally below the site of the village of Fulton, the place was celebrated mainly for its portage and fishery.  The few improvements that had been made were rude and unimportant.  No dams or bridges had been thrown across the river, and quantities of silver eels, salmon, and other fish frequented its waters.  In this year (1800) the first school in town was opened, and the locality soon gave evidence of considerable activity.  At this time and long afterward the place was designated Oswego Falls and was locally know as the “upper” and “lower” landing.

    In 1801 John MASTERS, a blacksmith, lived at the lower landing but later moved to Oswego, where he married, in 1806, Eliza BALDWIN, theirs being the first marriage in Scriba.  About 1801 Henry BAKEMAN, a native of New Jersey, became a resident of the town.  During the following five years few settlers arrived;  in fact it is impossible to determine the coming of a single one, yet undoubtedly a number came in.

    In 1806 Cornelius H. MILLER settled on Steen’s location in the north part of the present village of Fulton.  He afterward removed to Granby.  The same year Peter SHARP located near John VAN BUREN’s and Gideon SEYMOUR, William DEAN, Gideon CANDEE and Amos BISHOP settled at and near Volney Center.  This apparently, was the first settlement made in the interior of the town.  Major Van Valkenburgh had a hunter’s shanty at this point, just north of the Corners, in which the four men encamped for the night.  Mr. Seymour opened the first hotel at this place, was elected one of the first assessors of Fredericksburgh in1807, and re-elected in 1808, and died at Volney Center in March, 1817, being succeeded in his tavern by his widow.  Mr. Candee was a prominent man and became a justice of the peace in 1810.  These two gentlemen had each a hired girl.  In 1808 Calvin TIFFANY, who had just opened a tavern one and one-fourth miles northeast from Mexico village proposed giving a “log house dance.”  Girls were scarce in that vicinity, and three young men there, two of whom were Sherman HOSMER and Nathaniel P. EASTON, started out on foot with ase and compass to secure some from Oswego Falls.  They unwittingly came upon this settlement and immediately proposed that these two girls and another one near by should return with them, fifteen miles to the dance, a proposition that was finally accepted.  The young men in making the round trip were absent from their homes six days.

    In 1807 Noah A. WHITNEY and Dr. BISSELL came here and took charge of the mills at the Falls.  The latter was the first physician in the town.  Mr. Whitney was one of the leading citizen and held several important offices.  He was appointed justice of the peace in 1809, and was the first postmaster in town in 1810, the office being known as Oswego Falls.  Samuel TIFFANY was living in Volney at this time on the north side of Seneca Hill, and was made justice of the peace in 1808, being the first one appointed for Fredericksburgh.

    Joshua FORMAN, in 1808, built for the State the first grist mill in this vicinity.  It had a single run of stone and stood on the subsequent site of Gardner WOOD’s plaster mill.  Down to 1817 it was the only one of the kind nearer than Oswego.  A saw mill was also erected near by.  Judge Forman became interested in the reservation and in 1813 was associated with James LYON, who came to the Falls in that year.  In 1808 Jesse COE settled near Volney Center on the Baldwin farm.  He was the father of Charles COE, Mrs. Ziba KENDALL, and Davis B. COE.  The latter is living in Palermo, at the age of eighty-three.  Peter ALTHOUSE  and Enoch BRISTOL were settlers of 1808.  The former located near Orchard Lock and was the father of a large family, among whom were Peter, jr., and Andrew.  Andrew Althouse succeeded to the homestead and died in February, 1885, aged eighty-three years.

    In 1809 Ichabod BRACKETT and Whitman CHURCH became settlers.  The former built a frame house and barn on a knoll just east of the old C. G. Case residence and engaged in the forwarding business, having a shed at the foot of Yelverton Island for a warehouse.  In 1813 he erected a good warehouse and continued in a business several years.  Mr. Church came from Kinderhook, N. Y., and settled near John Van Buren’s.  He undoubtedly built the second frame building (a house) in town, in a corner of which he attempted to protect a few sheep from wolves, but without success, as the latter killed a number one night while the family slept soundly overhead.  He was the grandfather of Whitman and Carlton CHURCH.  The latter, a son of Hubbard Church, was for a time a merchant in Fulton, and died in 1884.

    In 1810 Dr. Anson FAY, Joseph EASTON, Samuel HOLLAND, Samuel HYDE, Isaac CROCKER, Jeremias TAYLOR, John BRISTOL, Capt. Asa WHITNEY, John DUNN, Oliver BURDICK, Jonathan HOOKER, James BUNDY, Amos FOSTER and perhaps others came into the town;  some of these may have come a year or two before.  Dr. Fay, the second physician, succeeded Dr. Bissell, and died here in 1849.  Mr. Easton was a very prominent man and held several important offices, among them those of town clerk and supervisor.  He was a justice of the peace in 1815, 1820, 1822, 1827, and 1831 and became associate judge of the Common Pleas in 1822 and again in 1828.  He came from Pittsfield, Mass., built a little frame dwelling in Fulton just east of the Lewis House site, and died there in 1832.  Messrs Holland, Crocker, and Taylor all settled at the lower landing.  The first two named were engaged in mercantile business there in 1811 as Crocker & Holland, a firm that was subsequently changed to Holland & Falley.  Taylor kept a store there about the same time.  John BRISTOL, accompanied by his two brothers, located on “Bristol Hill.”  A Mr. DUNN settled near by.  Mr. Bristol was appointed justice of the peace in 1814 and 1817 and became the first postmaster at Volney Center in 1825.  Asa Whitney located east of Fulton and served as a captain of militia in the war of 1812.  Mr. Hooker took up his residence on the old Luther WOOD place and was one of the early town officers.  He was appointed a justice in 1814 and 1820.  Oliver Burdick settled near Simpson’s Corners and was appointed a justice of the peace in 1813 and 1821, being also in the latter year an associate judge of the Common Pleas.  He served as supervisor, in all, seventeen years.  He was the father of Norman D. Burdick, who died in Fulton May 1, 1894, aged seventy-seven years.  James Bundy located below Orchard Lock and soon afterward his brother Elisha settled at Bundy’s Crossing, a place so named from him.  Samuel HYDE died at the lower landing in 1813.  Amos Foster made his home near the present residence of W. S. NELSON in Fulton.

    Among the settlers of 1811 were Noah RUST, Roger S. NELSON, Thomas and Ansel HUBBARD, Samuel and Richard GRAHAM, James PARKER,  Capt. Joel WRIGHT, Adin BREED, Josiah SMITH, and Alvin WHEELOCK.  Mr. Rust located near the De Graw brick mansion in Fulton, and was the father of Richard Rust.  Mr. Nelson settled on the Wallace Gardner farm, whence he moved to the old Luther Wood place in 1823.  His son, Willis S. Nelson, is a prominent resident of Fulton.  The Hubbard brothers came from Pittsfield, Mass., and settled at what has since been known as Hubbard’s Corners.  Thomas Hubbard was a typical pioneer and a very valuable citizen, and died September 3, 1885, aged ninety-five years.  He became a captain of militia in the war of 1812, was a consistent member of the M. E. church from 1817 until his death, and served four years as justice of the peace.  Ansel Hubbard, his brother, settled at Mount Pleasant and also served in the war of 1812.  His son Levi G. resides in Scriba.  The Grahams came from Paris, N. Y., and located near each other.  Richard was the father of Seth C. Graham, by whom he was succeeded on the homestead.  Mr. Parker came to Drake’s Corners, but subsequently removed to Granby.  He was the father of James, jr., and Linus.  Joel Wright came from Columbia, N. Y., and during the latter part of his life resided at Hubbard’s Corners.  He went with Captain Whitney to Oswego in the war of 1812 and afterward received a captain’s commission.  He died here some twenty years ago.  His father, Smith Wright, came into Volney in 1815.  Messrs. Breed, Smith, and Wheelock all settled in the south part of the town, the three coming with their families from Litchfield, Herkimer county.  Mr. Breed held several public offices, among them that of justice, and finally removed to Three River Point.  Mr. Smith was the father of Harvey W. Smith.

    Prominent among the comers of 1812, or earlier, were John HOLLISTER, John ENO, Alexander CAMPBELL, and James EASTON, all whom located at the upper landing;  Simeon COE, who settled at Strong’s Corners and died in 1832 in Palermo;  John KENDALL, the father of Jacob and Otis Kendall, just east of Volney Center;  and Ira IVES and Dr. STRICKLAND at the upper landing.  Mr. Ives, the tenth child of John Ives, was born in Wallingford, Conn., July 16, 1791 and died March 10, 1880.  His children were John, Sarah, Andrus, Chauncey, Lewis, George G., and Ira P., of whom the latter resides on the homestead, and George G. a short distance north.  His wife, Hannah RICHMOND, died in 1873.  Otis Kendall was one of twelve children, was born in Paris, N. Y., March 21, 1811 and died August 23, 1887.

    During the war with England Capt. Asa Whitney raised a company of militia, which included most of the men of Volney and with them took part in the engagement at Oswego on May 5, 1814.  On that day, while the thunder of cannon rolled up the valley, the remaining inhabitants held a “grand council,” to decide whether they should flee or remain.  They determined to stay and brave it out.  This conflict checked the tide of immigration, and the cold season which followed it, in 1816, added materially to the general suffering.  But the people quickly recovered from these calamities, old and new enterprises flourished and peace and plenty everywhere prevailed.

    In 1813 a few prominent men came into the town, among the number being James LYON, Daniel FALLEY, John, Freeman, Joel and Joseph GASPER, David OSBORN, Eliphalet TREMBLY, and Abram BELL.  Mr. Lyon was a slave-holder, as the following entry taken from the town records shows:
    I certify that Bell, a Negro woman, a slave belonging to me, had a male child on the 27th day of July last, whose name is Richard, or Dick.
                                    (Signed)            James Lyon
    Volney, 26th February, 1817.
    The certificate was recorded by Mr. Lyon to save himself from incurring a penalty under the law.  He was interested with Judge FORMAN in the Oswego Falls State Reservation and also in Harper’s location.  He opened a store soon after his arrival, was engaged in the lumber trade for several years, took charge of the mill owned by the State, entered into the forwarding business, and finally moved to Oswego, where he became an extensive mill owner and shipper.  Daniel Falley owned at one time a large portion of the site of Fulton village, and was the first class-leader of the M. E. church here in 1813.  He was the father of Lewis and Hon. George F. Falley, who were long prominently identified with the town.

    The Gaspers came with their widowed mother, and sister Mary, from Pittsfield, Mass.  John Gasper had twelve children.  He served at Oswego and Henderson Harbor in the war of 1812, formed and equipped a company of militia at his own expense, and rose to the rank of colonel.  He first settled on 110 acres of land and later had a tavern at Volney.  About 1852 he removed from his farm to Fulton, where he kept a hotel for thirty years, and there he died October 24, 1877, aged eighty-five.  Freeman Gasper, born in Ashford, Conn., in November, 1794, officiated as steward, class-leader, and Sabbath school superintendent at Mount Pleasant many years, and died in Fulton on June 1, 1888.  He was the father of Freeman S. (a son in-law of Ephraim BEARDSLEY) and Mrs. John VAN BUREN.  David OSBORN and Eliphalet TREMBLY, from Albany, settled near Orchard Lock.  Abram Bell, from Massachusetts, located in the south part of the town.

    The only settler of 1814 seems to have been Benjamin EMORY, a native of New Hampshire, though Peter ALTHOUSE, jr., was born here in this year.  In 1815 William INGELL, Joseph CHESBRO, Josiah HULL, James CAMPBELL, and the SHELDON family came in.  Mr. Ingell was born in Chester, Mass., in 1792.  He held several town offices, had seven children, and died June 19, 1873.  He located upon 150 acres of land at what is called “Ingell’s Crossing.”  His son William F. served in the Rebellion and died January 1 1894.  Mr. Chesbro was the father of James Chesbro, who married Mary C., daughter of William Ingell, and of Thomas W. Chesbro, who died January 18, 1885.  Thomas W. Chesbro came here with his father and became an extensive contractor with Charles G. Case, with whom he purchased the Genesee Mills, and with whom he was associated in the Citizens’ bank.  Joseph Hull came from Paris, N. Y., and settled in the fifteenth township.  James Campbell migrated from Massachusetts and settled near William Ingell, whose sister he married.  He moved to North Volney in 1824 and died there April 17, 1868, aged eighty years.  His son Ira occupies the homestead and another son, James, lives in Palermo.

    Jason S. MARKHAM, a blacksmith, was born in Madison, N. Y., May 6, 1814, came to Volney with his father, Isaac, in 1816, and is still living in town.  Isaac Markham settled on lot 63, and died January 9, 1859.  Jason S. Markham followed his trade here, in Oswego, and from 1838 to 1848 in Madison county, and in the latter year returned and purchased 300 acres of timber land and built a saw mill.  He had five children.  Another settler of 1816 was Lyman PATTERSON, who was born in Vermont March 28, 1794, and who located near Fulton, where he bought seventy acres of timber land and engaged in house painting in the village.  He died May 24, 1879.  Kingsbury E. SANFORD also came in 1816 and settled in the sixteenth township.  Elisha CANDEE arrived as early as 1816 and was the first merchant at Volney Center—the first outside the village of Fulton.  He was the father of Levi Candee, who resides at the Center.

    Aaron G. FISH came to Fulton with his father, Aaron, a tailor, in 1817.  He was born in Groton, Conn., July 24, 1794, and arriving here leased the mill owned by the State, in which he manufactured flour for five years.  He also began manufacturing woolen fabrics, a business he continued about twenty-eight years, carrying on a hundred acre farm in the mean time where part of the village now stands.  He again engaged extensively in the manufacture of flour in the Volney Mills, and for two years was superintendent of the Oswego Canal.   The remainder of his active life was devoted to farming and manufacturing cloth.  He was a life-long Democrat and served as supervisor, justice of the peace, and for twenty years as police justice of the village, of which he was the first president.  He was also a loan commissioner.  From 1820 until his death, September 11, 1877, he was a prominent member of the Baptist church.  John PATTEN, another settler of 1817, came from Herkimer county and located at North Volney.  His death occurred December 7, 1868, aged ninety-two.  His son Stephen, the last of the family, died September 7, 1878, at the age of eighty years.

    In this year (1817) a conflagration swept through the heavy forests immediately adjoining the settlements along the river, destroying large quantities of valuable timber, some of which remained standing many years afterward, monuments of that terrible fire.

    In 1818 Halsey HUBBARD, who was born in Pittsfield, Mass., in 1801, came to Hubbard’s corners with his father, Rev. Thomas Hubbard, who died January 7, 1850.  He was a shoemaker,  which trade he followed until 1830.  He had six children, and died May 5, 1875.

    Hon. Willard JOHNSON is the son of Lovwell Johnson (see bench and bar chapter), and was born in Volney May 16, 1820.  Educated at the Mexico Academy and Cazenovia Seminary, he engaged in the lake and canal transpostion  business in 1852, and later became an extensive contractor on government works.  He has been a life-long Democrat.  In 1862 he was elected to the Assembly, and later served two years on the War Committee of Oswego county.  He has served as supervisor and assemblyman several years, and is still living in Fulton, a respected citizen and widely-known Democratic “war horse.”

    Other settlers of the town prior to this period were Joel W. CROSBY (who came here with his parents and died in May, 1886), William BARRETT, Laton BAKER, the father of O. R. SMITH, and J. M. SPAFFORD (who died in Fulton, October 2, 1894.)

    At this time (1820) the town contained about 2,000 inhabitants.  The Oswego Canal had been projected, and the preliminary survey was completed this year.  The fisheries at the head and foot of the rapids had become an important part of the business of the place.  D. L. BATES, the engineer in charge of the canal surveys and river improvements, in his report of September 21, 1820, stated:
    “From information, the correctness of which I have not reason to doubt, the weirs and fisheries of different kinds on the Oswego Falls reef alone produce about 1,000 barrels of eels annually, independent of other fish, which may be estimated at half that quantity.  The price of a barrel of eels at its lowest is $10, other fish are probably worth more, but say ten, and we have for an estimate $15,000 as the product of the Oswego Falls reef.”

    Anent. this subject Amos G. Hull, in Brigham’s Directory and History of this region, published in 1862, says:  “Dams were afterwards built, but to relieve the minds of epicures in the silver eel line it is proper to state that a nice industrious old fisherman, and worthy man too, has continued to this time, regardless of the dams, to take the eels below the Falls to the annual value of from $300 to $1,000.  Another old gentleman, who was a sturdy boy living there at the close of the last century, takes about the same amount below Bradstreet’s rift every year.”

    During the decade between 1820 and 1830 the following, among others, became residents of the town and village:  Stephen SIKES, Levi CARRIER, Ebenezer BALL, Samuel HOLBROOK, Andrew DRUCE, Sanford PATRICK, Ephraim BEARDSLEY, Samuel CROMBIE, L. R. CLARK, Franklin COLLINS, Albert HOWARD, S. B. STORRS, Nelson SEARS, Rev. G. F. SHERMAN, Elias THOMAS, Hiram BRADWAY, J. C. DE GRAW, H. N. GILBERT, H. W. SMITH, H. N. SABIN, Daniel ROGERS, G. C. LATHROP, and Frederick SEYMOUR.  Stephen Sikes moved here in 1820 and died in town October 3, 1879, aged over ninety-seven years.  He has three grandsons living at North Volney.  Sanford Patrick is now the oldest resident of that locality, having lived in this town since about 1821.  Ebenezer Ball came on foot from Windsor, Mass., in 1823, and was the father of Gordon D. Ball (long time a surveyor and engineer in Fulton), and also of Marshall and Seymour Ball.  He purchased a farm of Roger S. Nelson near Volney Center, and died in July, 1889, aged ninety.  Ephraim Beardsley served as justice of the peace four terms from 1833 and was the father of A. L. Beardsley, now living in town.  Samuel Crombie, Elias Thomas, Frederick Seymour, and Samuel Holbrook all arrived in 1827.  The former is a brother of the lawyer, James Crombie and came with his father, William, from Otsego county, settling in the north part of the town.  In 1844, he removed to Fulton village, where he still resides, at the age of eighty-five.  He has been secretary of Mt. Adnah Cemetery since the organization of that association, and served as justice twenty years.  Elias Thomas was born in Herkimer county in 1802, and became a captain in the old State militia.  He was a farmer and settled near the line between Volney and Schroeppel.  Mr. Seymour was born in Hartford, Conn., September 25, 1799, and died here in December, 1883.  Coming to Fulton he formed a partnership with George SALMON and Dorman FELT and started a furnace, which they continued until 1838, when he purchased the Seymour farm on the Whitaker road.  About 1875 he returned to Fulton.  Samuel Holbrook came from Pompey, Onondaga county and settled east of North Volney, and died over twenty years ago.  His son, Benton, occupies the homestead.  Andrew Druce became a settler at what was called Druce’s Corners in 1829 and died at the age of about ninety-three years.  His sons were Varnum, Russell, Reuben, Andrew, jr., and Benjamin.

    On the 4th of July, 1826, the corner stone of the first lock on the Oswego Canal was laid with impressive Masonic ceremonies at Fulton, a few feet from the northwest corner of the brick block more recently occupied by R. T. Jones.  The president of the day was Jonathan CASE, a contractor who came here about that time, and the orator was Hon. David P. BREWSTER, of Oswego who delivered his oration from the hill just north of the M. E. church.  Peter Schenck read the Declaration of Independence, and Hastings CURTISS acted as marshal, being assisted by Kingsbury E. SANDFORD.  Dinner was served on block 26, just east of the Fulton House, which was kept at that time by Levi CARRIER.  The cannon used, an eighteen-pounder, exploded in the afternoon, but without serious results.  The canal was completed in 1828.  It aided greatly the subsequent growth and development of the town, and particularly of Fulton village.  The great water power, theretofore controlled by the State, passed into the hands of individual owners, and thenceforward was more valuably employed.
    From 1830 t0 1840 the more prominent settlers were:
    Timothy PRATT, Walter WILBER, Ira CARRIER, Samuel HART, John H. DISTIN, Ferdinand V. TAFT, Sands N. KENYON, Frederick D. VAN WAGENEN, Charles P. TUCKER, John STEVENS, Frederick WELLS, Otis J. and A. ALLEN, L. B. BABCOCK, Gardiner, H. P., and George BRIGGS, F. N. BAKER, Anson CLARK, William CHURCH, W. H. Cook, A. K. and John C. HILL, T. D. INGERSOLL, L. D. LITTLEFIELD, S. C. RICE, C. W. STEWART, George A. TAYLOR, sr., Frederick VANT, J. P. WAUGH, J. W. BUTLER, Perry CALKINS, J. J. KELLER, Daniel T. MORFA, J. W. PRATT, H. SKINNER, S. B. WHITAKER, and James L. WILSON.

    Sands Niles KENYON came to Fulton in 1830.  He was born in Newport, R. I., and died February 24, 1887.  In 1852 he purchased the charter of the Bank of Ogdensburg and removed it to this town, and conducted business about two years as a private banker.  In 1854 he organized the Citizens Bank (now the Citizens National Bank), and was its president until he resigned in 1860.  In 1870 he was instrumental in organizing the Fulton Savings Bank, of which he was president until 1887.  Ira CARRIER, born in Lenox, Mass., August 18, 1806, a son of Levi, came to Volney in 1831 and died May 27, 1886.  He was one of the original stockholders of the Oswego River Bank in Fulton, to which place he removed in 1871.  His sons were Levi and Luther S.  Samuel HART, born in England October 30, 1806, came to Fulton in 1832.  With his brother he built a pottery and began the manufacture of stoneware.  Eight years later he became the sole owner; his entire career in this business here, on the same site, covered a period of about half a century, during a part of which time he was associated with and was finally succeeded by his sons Charles A. and Elwin E.  He died December 27, 1891.  Timothy PRATT, son of Caleb, a Revolutionary solder, was born in Vermont in 1790, and came from Madison county to Fulton in 1833.  He engaged in the manufacture of linseed oil and also largely of lumber.  He built a grist mill and carried on a large milling business, and also conducted an extensive transportation business.  He was long interested in the Citizens’ National Bank of Fulton and a liberal donor to Falley Seminary.  He was the father of John W. Pratt.  He died October 19, 1879.

    Frederick D. VAN WAGENEN was born on the Hudson in July, 1815, came to Volney about 1835, settled in Fulton in 1862, and died in February, 1885.  He was instrumental in draining and reclaiming the “Great Swamp” and was interested in several large contracts.  He built the stone dam across the river at Fulton, and for many years did an extensive business.  He was the father of Mrs. George J. EMERY, Mrs. Amos WOOLIVER, and Frederick D. Van Wagenen, jr.   John H. DISTIN also came to Volney in 1835, and is still living on the old farm with his son John W.  He was born in Connecticut March 17, 1813.  John STEVENS and Frederick WELLS, sr., arrived in 1837.  Mr. Stevens was born in Vermont in 1790, served in the war of 1812, and died December 2, 1879.  Mr. Wells was born in Northfield, Mass., September 10, 1800, and died March 5, 1884.  At one time he was an extensive lumberman in Granby.  Walter WILBER, born in Coxsackie, N. Y., March 4, 1795, died November 20, 1881.  He learned the clothier’s and harnessmaker’s trades, served in the war of 1812, moved to New Haven in this county in 1837, and came thence to a farm near Volney Center in 1869.  He had ten children.  Ferdinand V. TAFT married a daughter of Smith WRIGHT, who died May 20, 1893, aged ninety-two.  Their son Orvid V. was born here about 1831 and occupies the homestead.  He has served eight years as justice of the peace, an office now held by his son, Girard.  Fred VANT, living at Mt. Pleasant at the age of seventy years married a sister of A. L. BEARDSLEY, and is a leading member of the Oswego Falls Agricultural Society.  Charles P. TUCKER was born in Madison county, became a prominent man in Fulton, and died April 21, 1888.

    Several other prominent men had already come into the town or arrived soon afterward.  John H. WOLCOTT, who died in Fulton July 31, 1881, at the age of seventy-one years, was long a leading man of that village.  He was supervisor, member of assembly in 1858, and State senator in 1866-67.  M. Lindley LEE was assemblyman in 1847-48, State senator in 1856-57, and member of congress in 1858-59.  He died May 19, 1876, aged seventy-one.  Horatio N. GAYLORD lived at Volney Center and served as justice of the peace sixteen years beginning January 1, 1843.  He died about 1861.  R. George BASSETT succeeded him and held the office eighteen years, serving also as justice of sessions in 1869 and 1870.  He died at Volney Center, October 17, 1876 at the age of fifty-four.  His daughter, Mrs. Newell R. Cole, resides in Fulton, and his son, Rev. Wayland G. Bassett, a Baptist clergyman, in Brooklyn.  Giles HAWKS settled with his parents at North Volney when a child and died May 10, 1883.  James B. SACKETT came here with his father and died May 10, 1888, aged seventy-two.  Joseph W. Prosser came to Oswego county in 1812, lived in and near Fulton for forty-one years and died in November, 1882.  Walter HAYNES settled at an early day at North Volney.  Among other settlers prior to 1850 were Lewis E. LOOMIS, John DE WOLF, William MC COLLOCK, R. D. Pierce, H. J. RANOUS, B. P. SANFORD, A. SEARLES, G. A. WASHBURN, J. G. BENEDICT, C. S. EGGLESTON, J. T. HEWITT, Andrew Hanna, N. W. OLTMAN, C. S. OSGOOD, J. P. STREETER, John SHERMAN and the YOUMANS family.  J. G, Benedict died in April, 1885.  Jacob LE ROY died in town October 26, 1892, at the great age of one hundred and two years and ten months.  Lewis E. Loomis was born in Connecticut in 1808, came to Fulton in 1845, and died April 27, 1876.  He engaged in the leather business in the firm of Salmon and Falley, and a few years later became sole proprietor.  He soon took his brother Alanson into partnership, and in 1854 sold out to him and retired.  William G. ST. JOHN served as collector of Volney twenty-two years beginning in 1833.  John V. BOOMER, born in Jefferson county in 1829, came to Fulton with his parents about 1844 and died in November, 1884.  He was a civil engineer and later became a merchant.  Eber G. C. RICE, who moved to Fulton from Vermont with his parents when ten years old, died here March 30, 1888, aged seventy-three.  He built one of the first houses on Second street and served in Co. A, 184th regiment, in the rebellion.  Charles H. FOSTER settled in Volney at an early day and in 1844 located in Fulton.  He was born in Lenox, Mass., in 1806.

    In 1848 Moses MERICK and his brother erected a flouring mill at Seneca Hill which was one of the largest establishments of the kind in the State.  It had fifteen runs of stone, with a separate wheel to each run, and a grinding and packing capacity of 1,200 barrels of four per day.  It was destroyed by fire in 1864.  
    In the fall of 1848 the Oswego and Syracuse (now the D., L. & W.) Railroad was completed along the west side of the river, in Granby, with a station at Oswego Falls, affording thenceforth better transportation facilities for local products and manufactures.

    In 1854 a stock company erected a large starch factory at Battle Island at a cost of $175,000.  It was operated by water-power and covered an acre of ground.  In 1857 the company failed and the following year it was leased by W. S. NELSON for a firm consisting of Willis S. NELSON, Sands N. KENYON, Abram HOWE, Willard JOHNSON, and N. M. Rowe.  The plant was burned January 6, 1861, entailing a loss of $200,000, and was never rebuilt.

    In the war of the Rebellion the town contributed more than 500 of her citizens to the Union army and navy.  Every call for volunteers was promptly met.  Many of those who went to the front attained honorable distinction and returned with laurels earned in active service.  Among the number who received the deserved promotion were Captain Orville J. JENNINGS, Captain Albert TAYLOR, Charles A. TAYLOR, Norman G. COOPER, Richard L. HILL, Ten Eyck G. PAULING, Captain T. Dwight STOWE, Captain Daniel C. RIX, Captain John F. DE FOREST, Henry SHARP, Captain John SAWYER, Almon WOOD, Valorous RANDALL, Rudolph VAN VALKENBURGH, Chaplain Edward LORD, Dr. Allen C. LIVINGSTON, Captain Henry L. HINCKLY, Samuel P. STORMS, Captain George A. SISSON, Major Richard ESMOND, Gilbert VAN DUSEN, Captain Alexander HULETT, Captain Joel S. PALMER, Captain John SHERIDAN, John W. FRANCIS, Leonard S. CARTER, Marcus L. BEACH, David N. SCOTT, La Grange F. MOORE, Marcus A. COREY, Captain Edward L. LEWIS, Charles H. SPENCER, Captain John W. VAN VALKENBURGH, Ephraim MORIN, Abial W. LAWS, Lieutenant-Colonel W. M. LEWIS, Captain Cyrus CHURCH, Captain George N. FALLEY, Captain George SIMMONS, Captain W. K. KENDRICK, Captain Noble D. PRESTON, and others.  Michael MURPHY, a private in Company C, 12th Infantry, enlisted April 20, 1861, and was killed at the first battle of Bull Run on July 19, of that year, being the first man killed from this town.

    In the fall of 1869 the New York, Ontario and Western (Midland) Railroad was completed through the town affording additional shipping facilities and closer communication with distant centers of population.  This road has stations at Fulton, Ingell’s Crossing and Seneca Hill.  In August, 1885, the Phoenix division of the R., W. & O. Railroad was finished and placed in operation, with two stations in Fulton village.

    The population of the town at various periods has been as follows:   In 1830, 3,629;  1835, 2,995;   1840, 3,154;   1845, 3,895;   1850, 5,310;   1855, 6,476;   1860, 8,045;   1865, 6,472;   1870, 6,565;   1875, 5,763;   1880, 6,588;   1890, 6,527.

    Supervisors’ statistics for 1894:   Assessed value of real estate, $2,456,066;  equalized, $2,017,000;  personal property, $186,325;  railroads, 17.82 miles, $146,808;  town tax, $26,589.65;  county tax, $12,338.62;  total tax levy, $43,524.57;  ratio of tax on $100, $1.64;  dog tax $202.50.

    The first school in Volney was taught at the lower landing by Artemesia WATERHOUSE, afterward Mrs. Ichabod BRACKETT, in 1800 and 1801.  Subsequently a Mr. MC DONALD and Ebenezer WRIGHT kept school in a part of Major VAN VALKENBURGH’s house at Orchard Lock.  In 1808 Asahel BUSH procured the services of Benjamin ROBINSON, then living in Jamesville, Onondaga county, who taught in the neighborhood until 1812.  In 1810 he had a school in the major’s barn.  The first school house in the town was built near the old Van Buren residence at Orchard Lock in that year, and in it Mr. Robinson was the first teacher.  In 1811 another school building was erected on Steen’s location, on what is now the corner of First and Rochester streets in Fulton, which was designed to accommodate the entire Portage settlement.  Afterward a division was effected and each landing became a separate school district.  In 1811 a small frame school house was erected at Volney Center and in 1820 a second one was put up there; in the first Mrs. Sally DEAN was an early teacher.  In 1817 a school house was built at Hubbard’s Corners, and another on the four corners near what was then Josiah HULL’s residence.  In the latter Elizabeth RICHMOND (afterward Mrs. THOMAS) was an early teacher.  Of her pupils nine became ministers of the gospel.  About the same time a school building was also erected in the south part of the town.  A new school house was built at the Lower landing in 1817, and in 1822 the old red school house, which did service for so many years, was erected on the corner of State and Second streets in Fulton village.  In 1823 and 1824 a school was taught in a shanty about one mile east of Druce’s Corners, and in 1825 a log structure was erected at North Volney.  The first frame school house was built at that point in 1834 and in it Mary Ann SIKES became the first teacher; a second frame school building was erected there in 1866.  In 1838 the town had nine whole and four joint school districts, which were attended by 644 children.  Anson FAY and Stephen PARDEE were school commissioners.  In 1840 the number of districts had increased to fourteen whole and six joint districts and the scholars to 1,028 with T. H. HUBBARD, Anson FAY, and H. N. GAYLORD as commissioners.  The teachers’ wages amounted to $599.83, library money received, $190.33, and all other funds, $762; number of volumes in the libraries, 511.  In 1843 Amos G. HULL became the first town superintendent of common schools; he was followed by Dr. Charles G. BACON in 1844, Richard K. SANFORD in 1845, Samuel CROMBIE in 1846-52 and G. D. BALL in 1853-55.  In 1850 there were nineteen school districts, attended by 1,252 children, the teacher’s wages amounting to $1,124.36 and library money to $170.48.

    The town now has sixteen school districts, and for 1894-95 voted $4,944.68 for school purposes.  During the year 1892-93 thirty-six teachers were employed and 1649 children attended the various schools.  The school buildings and sites are valued at $58,550;  assessed valuation of the districts, $2,570,755;  public money received from the State, $4,953.64; raised by local tax, $10,861.18.  The districts are designated as follows:  Nos. 1,2 and 14 Fulton (consolidated);  No. 3, Volney Center;  4, Sixteenth;  Mt. Pleasant;  6, Hawks;  7, Owen;  8, Ludington;  9, Pine Woods;  10, North Volney;  11, Weed’s;  12, Bundy’s Crossing;  13, Crosby Hill;  15, Cone;  16, Baldwin;  17, Seneca Hill.  The Falley Seminary and Fulton Schools are noticed further on in the portion of this chapter devoted to that village.

    The oldest cemetery in the town is the one at Volney Center, the oldest stone therein marking the grave of Eunice, wife of Joseph MOSS, who died in 1815.  There is a burial ground at North Volney and another at Hubbard’s Corners, the oldest stone in the former indicating the grave of Mrs. Walter HAYNES, who died in 1829.  The earliest burying ground in Fulton occupied a site a few rods south of the subsequent residence of Gardner WOOD.  Afterward the remains of the dead were mostly removed from that place to another on blocks 34 and 38.  This proved inconvenient, and about 1830 some three acres of blocks 62, 63, 71 and 72 were selected and set aside for burial purposes.  On June 2, 1851, the Mount Adnah Cemetery Association was organized with Aaron FISH, Henry BROADWELL, O. O. SHUMAY, Sands N. KENYON, John E. DUTTON, Willard OSGOOD, M. L. LEE, William SCHENCK and Lewis E. LOOMIS trustees.  Mr. Fish was chosen president, Henry Broadwell vice-president; and O. O. Shumway secretary.  A plat of thirty-seven acres, bounded on the north by Broadway and on the west by Seventh street, was purchased of James L. VOORHEES and laid out by Dr. Lee and Peter Schenck.  The first interment was that of  D. R. CASE  September 23, 1853.  In 1856 Mr. Shumway was succeeded as secretary by Samuel CROMBIE, who has held that position ever since.  May 5, 1868, an act was passed by the Legislature authorizing the removal of all bodies from blocks 62, 63, 71, and 72 to the new cemetery, and the sale of that plat, which is now occupied by residences.  Mount Adnah contains about 3,500 graves, a good public vault, and a magnificent gateway, which was built in the fall of 1894 at a cost of $1,000.  It is one of the most beautiful rural cemeteries in northern New York.  The trustees for 1894-95 are as follows:  Willard JOHNSON, president; George M. CASE, treasurer; Samuel CROMBIE, secretary; Willis S. NELSON, Andrew HANNA, Dr. C. G. BACON, F. A. GAGE, F. M. WILSON, and John W. PRATT. 

Source:  Landmarks of Oswego County New York, edited by John C. Churchill, L.L.D., assisted by H. Perry Smith & W. Stanley Child, Syracuse, N.Y., D. Mason & Company Publishers, 1895. 

Back to Town of Volney

Back to Oswego County NYGenWeb

Copyright © August 24,  2004 Merry Gantley, Transcriber 
    Copyright © August 24,  2004Laura Perkins 
All Rights Reserved