TOWN OF HASTINGS
OSWEGO CO., N.Y.
New Topographical Atlas of Oswego Co. Caughdenoy & Central Square Villiage,
Town of Hastings, NY
Landmark's History Book of Hastings, Oswego County, NY
Application of Anna Moyer (Myers), Town of Hastings, Widow of Lt. Henry
Moyer. Anna Moyer/Myers' pension application is a joint resource of
Counties NYGenWeb and Oswego County NYGenWeb, hosted by the Herkimer/Montgomery
of Francis German/Germain, Mexico, NY & Alexis Courbat, Hastings, NY
of Luke Greenleaf, Hastings
of Lot/Lott Fuller, Hastings
of Charles G. Terry, Hastings, NY
Cemetery, Central Square, N.Y.
Grove Cemetery, Mallory, N.Y. (Grant Family)
Grove Cemetery, Mallory, Town of Hastings, NY Parial Listing
Cemetery - Hastings, NY
of James J Coit of Central Square
of John & Sarah GRANT, Hastings
OF THE PAST
Mills School - history, list of teachers,
and photograph, added - Recollections of former students
Book of Maud Augusta Salisbury
Record: CAULKINS - MCCALLUM
Bible Record of Hyde Family - Hastings, NY marriage & births
196 County Route 33
Central Square, NY 13036
was obtained from the Historical & Statistical Gazetteer of New York
State, R. P. Smith, Publisher, Syr., 1860, by J. H. French.
HASTINGS-----was formed from Constantia, April 20, 1825. It lies
upon the N. shore of Oneida River, in the S. part of the co. Its
surface is level or gently undulating, its northern boundary being about
75 feet above Oneida Lake. The soil is clay, sand, and gravelly loam.
In some parts of the town it is difficult to find fresh water by digging.
Brine springs are found in several parts in the red Medina sandstone formation.
In the N.E. part is a tamarack swamp, of about 5 acres, in the center of
which is an immense spring 10 feet in diameter. This spring is on
a level with the surrounding summit; and it is surrounded by a deep,
loose muck which extends downward to an unknown depth. There are
18 sawmills, several gristmills, and 2 tanneries in town. CENTRAL
SQUARE (p.v.,) contains about 50 houses; HASTINGS, (p.v.,)in
the N. part, 30; CAUGHDENOY, (Cod-e-noy) (p.v.,) on Oneida
River, in the S.W.part, 30; and HASTINGS CENTER (p.v.)15. SMITH
MILLS and FORT BREWERTON are villages of about 20 houses each.
The latter is situated at the foot of Oneida Lake, on the site of old Fort
The first settlement was made at
Fort Brewerton, by Oliver STEVENS, in 1789.
There are 4 churches in town.
A little E. of the fort ground is
a sandbank, in which bones are found belonging to men over 7 feet high.
A mound at the E. extremity of the bank is full of human bones, indicating
the place of sepulture for thousands.--Clark's Onondaga, vol. 2, p.182
Among the early settlers were Timothy
VICKERY. Chester LOOMIS, Solomon ALLEN, and Jacob RICE.
The first birth was that of John
L. STEVENS, in 1802.
The first marriage, that of of Silas
BELLOWS and Betsey VICKERY, in 1808.
The first death, that of Horatio
STEVENS, in 1792.
Chester LOOMIS kept the first inn,
in 1815; and Hastings CURTIS, the first store, in 1820.
The first school was taught by Patrick
VICKERY, at Caughdenoy.
A saw-mill was built here by Mr. Blunt, in 1822. It is owned by Daniel
MITCHELL. The second saw-mill was built by PEARCE and CORNELL, IN
1838. It is now owned by Levi HAMLIN.
There has been a post-office here for the past twenty-eight years.
Jonathan PARKHURST was the first postmaster, and Martha HOLMES is the present
Harvey DEVENDORF opened the first store, and kept it some twelve years,
when Mr. PARKHURST occupied it for a short time. M. M. SALSBURY has
been the blacksmith here for twenty years.
A little west of the centre there is a cemetery, containing an acre of
land, which the heirs of Governor John JAY deeded to Gibson DIKEMAN, as
supervisor of Hastings, for the use of the public, on the 12th of November,
1821 there was one log house, occupied by Mr. Widger, near where the water-trough
now is, and a small frame one, occupied by William FORD, on the site of
The first post-office and stores were kept by Willard HUNT soon afterwards.
the first blacksmith in this election district was George STORER, who had
a shop a mile south of Hastings, in 1822.
The Widger house was turned into a grocery as early as 1830, for the old
settlers remember how, in that year, the teacher of district No. 5 took
his scholars there for a treat of candy, on their return from a spelling-school,
where they had been successful.
The first tavern was built by W. HUNT. Its present proprietor is
Willard JOHNSON. The merchant and postmaster is Lewis TOUROT; the
cabinet-maker is Nicholas CLUTE. There was also a blacksmith-shop
and a cheese-factory at this point.
Mr. CORNING built a steam saw-mill a little south of Hastings, in 1854.
It was bought by Aaron BENSON in 1863, and has been operated by him ever
since. Mr. B., with his brother, invented the "Benson water-wheel,"
which was the principal one in use in this section for many years.
Back to Oswego County NYGenWeb
All Rights Reserved