Town of Albion  

Gazeteer of 1860
Historical Timeline for Albion
1895 Landmark's History Book Town of Albion, Oswego County, NY
1867 'New Topographical Atlas of Oswego Co. , Albion North NY
1867 'New Topographical Atlas of Oswego Co. , Albion South NY

Albion Centre Cemetery
Austin Burial Ground, Albion, NY
Nichols Cemetery - Albion, NY

1840 Census Town of Albion

Descendants Tree of William and Margaret Guy, Altmar

Civil War Soldiers

Charles F. Mulvihill
1901 Utica Saturday Globe Newspaper, Oswego, NY  - obits Mrs. Frances J. Pierce



Town Historian
  Florence Gardner 
  P.O. Box 394, 312 Bridge St.
  Altmar, NY  13302 
  (315) 298-5723

Information was obtained from the Historical & Statistical Gazetteer of New York State, R. P. Smith, Publisher, Syr., 1860, by J. H. French.
ALBION----was taken from Richland, March 24, 1825.  It is an interior town, lying E. of the center of the co.  Its surface is level or gently undulating.  The summits of the ridges are 50 to 100 feet above the valleys, and the highest point in town is 392 feet above Lake Ontario.  The lowlands are wet and in some places marshy.  Salmon River flows through the N. part.  In the N. E. part are 2 or 3 small ponds.  The soil consists of deposits of sand and gravel, and is of medium quality.  Drift deposits cover the whole surface, except along the river courses, where the underlying rocks crop out.  Much of the S. part of the town is yet unsettled.  Considerable manufacturing is carried on.  Sand Bank, (p.v.) on Salmon River, is a station on the Watertown & Rome R. R., midway between the two places.  It contains 1 church, a hotel, 4 stores, 2 tanneries, 5 sawmills, and a flouring mill.  Pop. 313.  Pineville, (Salmon River p.o.,) a station on the W. & R. R. R., situated on Salmon River, contains 1 church, an inn, a store, a sawmill, and a large tannery.  Pop. 144.  New Centerville, (p.o.,) a station on the W. & R. R. R., Dug Way, (p.o.,) and South Albion (p.o.) are hamlets.  Settlement was commenced in 1812, by Cary BURDIC, of Williamstown, on Lot 29, and Peter HENDERSON, at Sand Bank.  There are 4 churches in town. 

Before the dams were built upon this river, great numbers of salmon were annually taken.

Large quantities of lumber, leather, and barrels are manufactured, the latter for the Onondaga salt and Oswego flour markets.  There are 38 sawmills, 3 tanneries, and 2 gristmills in town.

In 1813 David, Luther, and Benj. LILLY and Allen McCLARN settled in the town.

First birth was that of a son of Luther LILLY, in 1813

First marriage, that of Henry BAKER and Lucy BURDIC, in 1819

First death, that of a son of Luther LILLY, in 1813

First inn was kept by Dr. BRACE, at Sand Bank, in 1814

First store, by Ammi HINKLEY, in 1828

LILLY brothers built the first sawmill, in 1813 

Ezekial SMITH built the first gristmill, in 1818

First school was taught by Sylvia BREED, in the summer of 1817 

Churches:  2 Union, 1 Baptist, 1 M. E.

Back to Oswego County NYGenWeb

Copyright © 1999 -  2004Laura Perkins/
All Rights Reserved