Historical Timeline Albion  

This was generously donated by the Albion Town Historian, Florence Gardner.  For contact information and details on the resources available on Albion, please check our 
Town Historian & Historical Societies Page & the Local ResourcePage.

Prior to 1788-  Indian Territory
    It has been said, that no Indian tribe actually lived within the area of Albion Township, but they did come to hunt & fish for the Salmon during spawning season. The Indian name for this area was "Alkineaur", which  means "sand bank".  Later, Sand Bank became the original name for the village of Altmar.

March 1, 1788- Indian territory ceded to the State of New York.

1791-  Brothers, John & Nicholas Roosevelt purchase a tract of land from the State of New York (of which, a portion eventually becomes the Town of Albion).

April 7, 1792-  Roosevelts sell land contract to George Scriba, a native of Holland.

December, 1794- George Scriba receives a patent for this land from the State of New York.  Area now called "Scriba's Patent".

January 1795-  Subdivision of land begins.

March 24, 1804- Town of Williamstown formed from Oneida County.

February 20, 1807- Town of Richland formed from Oneida County. 
     Later, the town of Albion is formed from this.

1812-   The first settler arrives.
    Cary Burdick, a fur trader, purchases a parcel of land on the Williamstown road, about 2 miles south of the present village of Altmar.

1813-   The Lilly brothers (David, Luther & Benjamin), settle in the same vicinity as Burdick, and erect the first sawmill.

   The first birth was a son of Luther Lilly's.

   The first settler within present day village of Altmar.
    Peter Henderson, a native of Scotland, purchases 200 acres of land bordering the Salmon River, and begins clearing the land for farming.

1814-   Dr. Brace, a physician, opens a tavern in the village of Sand Bank.

1816-   The first schoolhouse is erected in the village of Sand Bank, and Sylvia Breed becomes the first teacher.

1819-   The first marriage took place between H.B. Baker of Albany, a Lucy Burdick, daughter of the first settler.

1822-   Moses Rich arrives in Sand Bank, and erects the first Grist Mill.

March 24, 1825- The town of Albion is set off from the Town of Richland.
    On the original survey map of Scriba's Patent, this area was known as Township 22, or Alkmaar, so named by George Scriba for a town in Holland, his homeland.

May 3, 1825-  The first town meeting was held.
    Local officials were chosen for various offices.  These can be found in Crisfield Johnson's, "History of Oswego County", or John Churchill's   "Landmarks of OswegoCounty"

1828-   The first store opens.
    Ammi Hinckley, a native of Oneida County, arrives in Sand Bank, and establishes a general store.  Another tavern kept by William Abbott, is in business at this time, too. 

Summer of 1837- The first Post Office was established.
    William Abbott was selected as Postmaster, and William Worden became mail carrier.  Worden traveled many miles on horseback, between  Oswego, Utica, & Albion, collecting and delivering mail.

January 27, 1829-  First Presbyterian Church organized.
    Services were held in the schoolhouse.  Later, this church becomes the First Congregational Church.

January 8, 1834- Union Church organized.
    A building was erected in the village of Sand Bank, and shared by Presbyterians and Methodists.

December 26, 1837- Albion Baptist Church organized.
    A building was erected in 1852 at Albion Center (on the corner of Tinker Tavern Road and Route 22).  This building later became the Grange Hall.

1840's to 1850's- An influx of  settlers begin arriving into the Town of Albion.  The  "lumbering" trade now becomes a prominent industry due to the extensive building occurring during this period in our area.

1850-   A "plank road" between Albion and Constantia is constructed. 
    Two toll gates at the Sand Bank village limits (what is now Route 13) were constructed.

   Pineville Methodist -  Episcopal Church is built.
    The cobblestone foundations of the church was constructed of stones picked from the shores of Lake Ontario, and transported by wagon to Pineville (then called Salmon River).

1851-   Construction of the R.W. & O. Railroad through the Town of Albion. (Initials standing for Rome, Watertown & Oswego).

May 1851-  Completion of the Railroad Station at Sand Bank.

1852-   First Tannery established in Sand Bank.
    The Chapman brothers (James, Irving, & George) of Marcellus, arrive to establish the first of several tanneries located in the township.    Many Irishmen, escaping from the "Potato Famine" in Ireland during the 1840's, found work here in the tanneries.

March 21, 1853- The Sand Bank Cemetery Association is established.

1856-   Dugway Union Church is organized and a building erected.

1860's-  During the Civil War, nearly 350 men enlisted in the Union Army and Navy, from the Town of Albion.  Fifty six of these men lost their lives and many more were permanently injured.  More about this can be found in The Civil War Census.

February 21, 1876- Incorporation of the village of Sand Bank.

October 13, 1885- Sand Bank almost totally destroyed by fire.
    All that was left of the business district was the Congregational Church & the Episcopal Church, which was still under construction.

February 17, 1895- Methodist Church constructs a new building.

March 18, 1895- Sand Bank changed to Altmar.

June 14, 1911-  Unveiling of Civil War Monument in Riverside Cemetery, Altmar.

1918-   Twenty two men serve in World War I.
July 15, 1918-  Delbert Russell killed in action.

April 24, 1936- Brick school built in Altmar.
    Elston Ecker becomes first principal.

1940's-  Twenty men serve in armed forces during World War II
October 4, 1944- Edgar Tryon killed in action.  Buried in Edinburgh, Netherlands.

April 28, 1959- APW builds new High School in Parish. (dedication Day).

1979-   Salmon River Fish Hatchery begins construction in Altmar.

1989-   APW School District builds new middle school across road from High School.

Back to Town of Albion

Back to Oswego County GenWeb

Copyright © 1999 / 2000 Town of Albion Historian - Florence Gardner / Mary Lou Guindon
All Rights Reserved