Miscellaneous Obituaries & New Items, Oswego Co., NY  
Miscellaneous Obituaries & New Items
Oswego County, New York
Many From Fulton and Pulaski
Many thanks and appreciation to Anonymous for these great news items and Obituaries.

The Syracuse Herald, Saturday, May 30, 1908.

Honors Paid Dead Heroes.

Pulaski, May 30.- Memorial Day had its usual observance in Pulaski to-day.
The Woman's Relief corps conducted services this afternoon at the long
bridge crossing the Salmon river for soldiers and marines who were 
buried at sea. Flowers were strewn upon the waters and the line of march to the cemetery was taken up, the member of Post Butler, G. A. R., the Sons of Veterans, Woman's Relief corps and the Ringgold Fire company and school children joining. After decorating the graves of the soldier dead the 
line was reformed by Marshal Macy and the column marched to Betts Opera House, where appropriate exercises were held. Miss Maude M. Guile being in charge of the music furnished by a quartet composed of Mrs. Frederick Maunder, Miss Guile, A. Lincoln Pruyn and Ernest R. Burdick. 
The programme follows:

Selection. "Heroes Gone But Not Forgotten," quartet; prayer, the Rev. George Henry Ottaway, rector of the Episcopal church; ritualistic exercises and address of welcome by Commander Freeman H. Cross of Post Butler; selection, "Beyond the Vale," quartet; reading of "Lincoln's Address at Gettysburg," Col. Alfred N. Beadle of Oswego; selection, "The Star Spangled Banner," quartet; address, the Rev. Harry Albert Lawrence, pastor of the local Congregational church; singing, "America," the quartet and audience; benediction, the Rev. Archibald I. Ehle, pastor of the First Baptist church.

The Woman's Relief corps at the close of the exercises in the opera house served a luncheon to the veterans, firemen and others participating in the exercises in the opera house.


The Syracuse Herald, Sunday, May 24, 1908, page 20.


Fulton, May 23.- John Le Point was killed in a paper mill at Lyonsdale
last Tuesday. The funeral services were held on Thursday from the First
Methodist church, the Rev. F. A. Miller officiating.

Mr. Le Point was born in this city and had lived here all his life. He was
27 years old and is survived by his widow and one child. [note: the
original article has a photo of him.]


From The Syracuse Herald, February 29, 1904, page 11.


Mrs. Benjamin Snow, who has been at Amsterdam caring for her sister, Mrs. Nathan A. Caldwell, former Miss Anna Watson of this village, who has been quite ill, has returned home.

Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Aaron Hallenbeck, who came here to attend the funeral of Mr. Hallenbeck's father, Aaron M. Hallenbeck, returned to Rochester on Saturday.

Miss Gertrude Jones, who has been in Pittsburg, Pa. several years, has
returned to her home in this village.

The Black River Telephone company, which has established an exchange here, will inaugurate a continuous service commencing this evening. Frank Maxwell will be night operator.


From The Syracuse Herald, February 25, 1904, page 3 (a Syracuse NY newspaper).

Obituary Notes.

FULTON, Feb. 25.- At her home, No. 710 Whitaker road, yesterday morning occurred the death of Edith D., wife of Frederick R. Nelson, aged 89(?)years. Mrs. Nelson had been ill for several months and death was not unexpected. The funeral will be held Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock at the house and at 2:30 o'clock at the Universalist church, the Rev. Dr. James Vincent officiating. Burial will be made in Mount Adnah cemetery.

The funeral of Mary E. Wilcox will be held from her late home to-morrow afternoon at 1 o'clock, the Rev. Mr. Foster officiating. Burial will be made in Mount Adnah.


From The Syracuse Herald, February 22, 1904, page 3 (a Syracuse NYnewspaper).


FULTON, Feb. 22.- Mayor Foster, who has been confined to his home for some time, is able to be around.

Mrs. Lydia Janes, who has been quite ill, is much improved.

Raymond Simons, who some time ago suffered an attack of appendicitis, is slowly improving.

Martin Schenck, of Hartford, Conn., is visiting his sister, Mrs. Markley,who is seriously ill.


From The Syracuse Herald, February 21, 1904, page 21 (a SyracuseNY newspaper).

Fell Dead in Snowbank.

OSWEGO, Feb. 20.- Michael Loftus, for more than half a century an employee of the Oswego Starch company, died suddenly at his home last evening. He had been complaining for some time, but had not been confined to his bed. While in the back yard he fell dead in a snow bank. He was born in Ireland more than eighty years ago and came to this city when a young man. He is survived by several grown up children, including Mrs. Thomas McManus of Syracuse.


From The Syracuse Herald, February 21, 1904, page 21 (a Syracuse NY newspaper). 



Successful Horticulturist, and Originated the
Finest Red Raspberry That is Grown.

FULTON, Feb. 20.- David H . Bradt, who died in Hannibal, Oswego county, on Wednesday, was the oldest resident of that town and a former Justice of the Peace. He was 93/96/98(?) years old.

He was widely known as a successful horticulturalist, having been the originator of the Hiram raspberry, which is considered the finest red raspberry propagated.

Mr. Bradt left two sons, A. P. Bradt, editor of the Fulton Observer, andW. J. Bradt of North Hannibal. The funeral was held yesterday at the hallof the North Hannibal Grange, of which Mr. Bradt was a charter member, and a devoted supporter.


From The Syracuse Herald, February 21, 1904, page 21 (a SyracuseNY newspaper). 

Large Company of Friends Will Assemble to Celebrate the Happy OccasionWith Them.

OSWEGO, Feb. 20.- Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Findlay will celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of their marriage at their home, Mo. 130 West Bridge street, next Tuesday evening. A large number of their friends will congregate on their golden wedding day.

Mr. Findlay is an iron manufacturer and has a machine shop at No. 129 West First street. He has lived here more than half a century, and here he met Miss Mary Morgan and fifty years ago led her to the altar. They have two sons, married, who are associated with their father in business. Their only daughter died many years ago.

Mr. Findlay is still active. He is at his works every day directing hisbusiness affairs.


From The Syracuse Herald, February 9, 1904, page 13 (a Syracuse NYnewspaper)



Will of Francis M. Baker- Former Sheriff Warren's Estate

FULTON, Feb. 9.- The petition for the probate of the will of the late Francis M. Baker, who died in Denver, Col., December 10th last, was filed yesterday in Surrogate's court in Oswego. The petition shows that Mr.Baker left personal estate to the amount of $1,000. The will leaves it all to his widow, Mary E. Baker, with the request that she make a will dividing the property remaining in her hands at the time of her death between the two children, E. F.(?). Bertha and J. F. Baker. The widow is named as the
executrix and Surrogate Mead issued letters testamentary to her.

The inventory in the estate of the late Albert Warren was filed yesterday morning and shows that Mr. Warren left personal property of the value of $23,284.07, and real restate worth $2,200. The transfer tax on the estate amounts to $254.04.

The will of the late Laura A. Newman, who died at Hannibal, July 9tht, 1903, was filed yesterday morning for probate. Letters were issued to George Arthur Newman of Syracuse. Mrs. Newman left real estate worth $3,000 and her will leaves the entire property to her husband during his lifetime, after which it is to be divided among her children.

Letters of administration were asked for on the estate of Bridget Gillen, who died in Oswego, October 10th inst., leaving her personal property tothe amount of $135. The petition was made by Edward Gillen and citations were issued, returnable February 23d.

Fulton Briefs.

FULTON, Feb. 9.- Quite an excitement was created yesterday on Broadway by R. E. Borst's delivery horse taking fright and dashing down the
thoroughfare, overturning and damaging the sleigh. No one was injured.

At the home of the bride's parents in West First street on February 4th
P. DeLong and Miss E. Mabel Merritt, both of this city, were married bythe Rev. G. R. Foster of the Congregational church. Mr. and Mrs. DeLongwill live in this city.

Martin Euright of Oswego has been visiting friends in this city.

The Misses Hall will hold a dancing class to-morrow night in Sullivan's hall.

Miss Kitty Mackesy spent Sunday with friends in Oswego.

George Brown and David Calkins yesterday called on Frank McIntosh who for some time has been under treatment for hip trouble in St. Josephs hospital in Syracuse. Mr. McIntosh is reported as much improved.

J. J. Little of South Fifth street is very ill with pneumonia.

Mrs. E. Gardner is ill at her home in Park street.

Mrs. John Harrison is still critically ill.

Morris D. Gorman has accepted a situation in Cleveland, O.

Victor Foster, son of Mayor Foster, who has been making a hit invaudeville at Proctor's in New York, came home yesterday for the purpose
of taking part in the Elks' minstrels Friday night.

W. W. Spencer of Oswego visited Agent Towse last evening. Mr. Spencer has just passed an examination as first lieutenant in the Forty-eighth Separate company of Oswego.


From The Syracuse Herald, January 10, 1904, page 22 (a Syracuse,  NYnewspaper)


Death of Man Who Did It All Himself.


Two Years Ago, at the Age of 82, Turned Out His Last Instrument


Took the Timber From the Forest andMade His First Keys From Bones of a Horse Which He Found Death and Un-buried in the Woods - A Truly Skilled Workman.

PULASKI, Jan. 8- Elijah H. Gaylord, an old resident of Pulaski, died last night at the residence of Mrs. P. C. Bettinger in Lewis street, where he had made his home for several months. He was about 85 years old. Two sons survive, Allen C. Gaylord, of Syracuse and Frederick Gaylord, whose whereabouts are unknown, he having left Pulaski at the time of the conflagration of 1881, which laid the business portion of the village in ashes.

The deceased at one time was a resident of Syracuse. He came to Pulaski when a young man, with his father, a Methodist preacher, from the New England States. For more than fifty years he had been engaged in the manufacture of pianos, and two years ago turned out his last instrument. He was a skilled workman and was probably the only one in the country who had taken the timber from the forest, converting it into piano cases,as well as constructing and adjusting the more intricate parts of an instrument, and turning out a complete piano, without assistance. Many of his pianos are in Pulaski homes.

He first engaged in the manufacture of melodeons, and the keys of his first instrument were turned out by him from the bones of a horse which he found in a piece of woods near Pulaski, where the animal from which he took the bones had been left unburied.

Mr. Gaylord was a member of Pulaski lodge, No. 415, F. and A. M., and also of the First Methodist church of Pulaski. The funeral arrangements have not yet been completed.


The Post-Standard, December 29, 1904 (a Syracuse NY newspaper)

Death of Mrs. Lovejoy.

FULTON, Dec. 28.- Mrs. Laura A. Lovejoy passed away last evening at the age of 62/82(?) years. She is survived by one son, William J. and one daughter, Miss Georgia Lovejoy, both of this city. Funeral services wil lbe held at the family residence Friday afternoon at 3.15 o'clock.


The Post-Standard, December 29, 1904 (a Syracuse NY newspaper)


Coroner Declared Apoplexy to Be the Cause of Death - Inquest Deemed Unnecessary.

PULASKI, Dec. 28.- Nelson Hooper, who resided with his son about seven miles northeast of this village, died suddenly about 1 o'clock this morning. He had been engaged in chopping wood in the woods some distance from his home, returning about 5 o'clock last night, and soon afterward was about the barn caring for the stock, when he was taken suddenly ill.

Mr. Hooper, who was about 53/63(?) years old, started for the house, became dizzy just as he reached the door, but was unable to get in. Hisson went in the door and upon finding his father there assisted him into the house and gave him home remedy at hand which seemed to temporarily relieve him, but he soon grew worse and was assisted to his bed, where he remained in a semi-conscious condition.

About midnight the son went to him and attempted to rouse him, but was
unable to do so, the old gentleman having sunk into a deep stupor. Shortly after the son went to his father and found him breathing heavily. Gasping, he suddenly expired. Coroner Leroy F. Hollis of Lacona was notified and with Dr. Fenton A. MacCallum of this village, who acted as coroner's physician, visited the Hooper homestead, and after making a thorough investigation and ascertaining the facts did not deem an inquest necessary, the coroner deeming apoplexy to be the cause of death.


The Sunday Herald, January 24, 1904, page 22. (a Syracuse NY newspaper)


Served in Two Regiments in the War of the Rebellion.

PULASKI, Jan. 23.- Judah Macy, an old resident of Pulaski, died at thehome of his son, Col. Lewis J. Macy, last evening, aged 79 years. Since the death of his wife, fifteen years ago, he had made his home with hisson. On Christmas morning he suffered an attack of paralysis, and anotheron Thursday, which, combined with an organic heart trouble, was the cause of death. He leaves three sons be sides the one mentioned above, Theodore Macy of Jacksonville, Flas., Warren D. Macy of Beloit, Wis., who is now in England, and Charles D. Macy of Noblesville, Ind. Mr. Macy was born in Rochester, and his parents dying when he was a youth he went to Chatham Four Corners to live with relatives. He learned the trade of a paper maker in that village and then went to Manlius, Onondaga county, where he was engaged in that trade for several years, coming to this town in 1855 and engaging in farming. Six years later he moved to this village and resumed his trade, which he followed sometime. He enlisted in 1862 and was attached to the One Hundred and Tenth New York, and after a few years' service returned to Pulaski, again enlisting in 1865, in the One Hundred and Ninety-third New York. He was a charter member of J. B. Butler post, No. 111, G. A. R., and that organization will conduct the burial services. The funeral will be held at the First Methodist church at 2 o'clock next Tuesday morning.

Mrs. Mary Rich, widow of Marathon Rich, at one time a resident of Richland, died at a Rochester hospital on Thursday, ag ed 58 years. A son,whose whereabouts are unknown, survives. She also leaves a brother, Capt. C. Howard Ripsom of Pulaski. The body reached Richland this evening. The funeral will be held at 1 o'clock on Monday afternoon at the residence of Mrs. Clara Ripsom. Burial will be made at Richland cemetery.

From the Sunday Herald, January 17, 1904, page 23 (a Syracuse, NY newspaper).


Between Husband and Wife,After Former's Arrest.


Supposed to Have Been Settled by the Main's Fair Promises.


Must Take Consequences of Alleged
Perjury in His Divorce Proceedings-Handsome Sodus School Teacher In-volved in the Marital Dissensions ofFormer Oswego Couple, it is Alleged.

Oswego, Jan. 16.- Information from Detroit this past week was that Mrs. Lottie Hammond Parr has forgiven his husband, William Parr, and that they had resumed living together again in Detroit.

Mrs. Parr went from Oswego, where she lived, to Detroit on New Years day, and swore out a warrant for the arrest of her husband on two charges of being a disorderly person in refusing to support his wife, and for perjuryin making an alleged false affidavit to his complaint in a divorce 
proceedings which he had commenced. Parr was arrested after considerable trouble and was locked up at police headquarters.

It seems that Parr was able to persuade her that he had no affection for a Sodus young woman, who, it was claimed, had followed him to Detroit and who, it was said, was to be held as a witness, and Mrs. Parr forgave her husband and returned to him.

But, according to a dispatch from Detroit, she has again had Parr arrested and he is now awaiting the result of the charge of perjury made againsthim.

A Sodus School Teacher.

The Sodus woman's name is given as Miss Margaret Clark and she is said to have been a school teacher and to be handsome and well connected.

She was taken to the Detroit police station at the time of Parr's first arrest and wept copiously over her predicament, asserting that she thought Parr had ben divorced.

After Mr. and Mrs. Parr had lived together a few days he suddenly left her
again and started divorce proceedings. In his bill he charged Mrs. Parr
with infidelity and other wrong doings. He also swore that he had been a resident of Michigan for two years. For making this statement he is charged with perjury. Mrs. Parr claiming that he never lived in the State before coming here last June. He is said by the police to have admitted that his charge of infidelity is groundless.

Fatal Accident to a Carpenter.

OSWEGO, Jan. 16.- William Taylor, a carpenter, 55 years old, was instantly killed at the plant of the Oil Well Supply company yesterday afternoon. He was in the employ of A. H. Smith, the contractor, and Foreman Rhodes had sent him up to tighten some bolts on the horizontal shafting. In some manner his clothing was caught and he was whirled about the shaft and killed. He was a widower, without family, and boarded in East Second street. He came to this city from Quebec about thirty-five years ago and it is not known that he has any relatives living.

From the Syracuse Herald, January 3, 1904, page 23 (a Syracuse NY newspaper).

FOUGHT FOR LIFE Wife Attacked at Midnight by Maniac Husband


After Desperate Battle the Woman Got Advantage and Tried to Escape


In Bare Feet and Nightdress, Waded Through Snow to a Neighbor's, a Quar-ter of a Mile, and Sought Protection-Cayuga Farmhouse Nearly Furnished aTragedy

OSWEGO, Jan. 2.- Thomas Hickey, 46 years old, has been sent from his home near North Sterling to the Willard hospital at Ovid, where he will be treated for insanity. Mr. Hickey is a prosperous farmer. Last spring physicians advised his wife to have him sent away for treatment, but she declined to do so.

Desperate Encounter.

At about 11 o'clock Christmas night, after they had gone to bed, Mrs. Hickey was a awakened by her husband grasping her by the throat and beating her over the head with his first (sic), declaring that he would kill her. He is a large, strong man, and Mrs. Hickey is also large and strong. She grappled with her husband and overcame him, but again he attacked her and succeeded in getting his hands on her throat and was choking her when, by a superhuman effort, she threw him to the floor, his head striking in such a way as to render him partly unconscious.

Escape Through Snow.

Mrs. Hickey picked her husband up and placed him on the bed, and started
to make her escape, but found her way barred by a screen door, through which she plunged and ran across lots through the snow to the house of Irwin Smith, a quarter of a mile away. She was in her bare feet and nigh tclothes. She was given shelter for the night, and the next day Hickey was examined by doctors, who declared him insane.


Property Bought With it Exempt FromExecution on Bail Bond.

OSWEGO, Jan. 2.- Justice Wright has handed down a decision which will be interesting to every owner of property purchased with pension money to
they effect that such property is exempt from execution, even when the owner has pledged it by signing his name to a bail bond.

The decision grew out of the action of the county of Oswego against James King, a veteran of the Mexican and Civil wars, and who is now 80 years old, to recover the sum of $1,624.00.

William T. Mullin was convicted of assault in the second degree and sentenced to serve four years in the State prison, at Auburn. Stay of sentence was secured on a certificate of reasonable doubt and Mullin was brought back to this city, but his ____ surrendered him and he was locked
up in the county jail. His attorney succeeded in getting a new bond executed by three persons, among whom was King.

The Appellate division rendered a decision denying a motion for a new trial and before Mullin could be taken into custody he ran away and went to Niagara Falls, Canada, where he now is. A demand was made for collection of the bond and Mr. King, through his attorneys, Cullen & Davis, set up that this property had been purchased with pension money and was exempt from execution. A judgment was ordered against Mr. King and the Sheriff was about to levy on the property and sell it when he was served with a temporary injunction granted by Justice Merwin restraining the sale. The action to make the injunction permanent was tried in Special term before Justice Wright and this week he handed down a decision making the temporary injunction permanent.

Oswego, Jan. 2.- The impression here among people who knew Frank White, alias Harry Howard, the Oswego county murderer, who was electrocuted at Auburn State prison on Tuesday morning last for the murder of George Clare September 15th, 1901, is that he has paid a just debt to the law.

Since the electrocution there are several persons in this city who are breathing easier. White had declared that should he gain his freedom he would kill Edward Mathews, an Oswego liveryman; William Kehoe, wholesale meat dealer, and Under Sheriff John Dennis.

White tried to brain Mathews with an iron shovel when he was at work in the livery barn. Mathew saw White abusing one of the horses, striking it on the head with a curry comb, and spoke to him about it. White flew into a rage and, grabbing a shovel, swung it over his head to strike Mathews. The shovel struck a rafter and gave Mathews a chance to save himself by knocking White down. For this White vowed to have vengeance.

White was employed by William Kehoe on his farm in the town of Scriba. He and White had trouble, and for the thrashing that the negro got he had it in for Mr. Kehoe.

White blamed Under Sheriff John Dennis for his conviction. It was Mr. Dennis who got White to make a full confession of the crime and then went on the stand as a witness for the People.

Doctor Mansfield, Sheriff Cook, C. B. Burch and Assistant District Attorney H. Louis Wallace of this city witnessed the execution of White. Doctor Mansfield assisted at the post-mortem examination. He says that White was in perfect physical condition and that there was nothing to indicate that he was in the least insane. He said that the brain was perfectly developed, with the exception of the gray matter, which was scarce. He said that the brain resembled that of a sheep more than of a human being.


Separation at Orphan Asylum NearlyThirty Years Ago.

OSWEGO, Jan. 2.- Mrs. Sarah Babcock of Altmar, Oswego county, is trying to find her sister, Ella Shears, who was taken from the Oswego Orphan asylum, when a child, in 1877.

The sisters lived with their uncle, Edward Miner, until he lost his arm
while at work in a sawmill, when, being unable to care for them, he placed them in the asylum. The missing sister was then about 3 years old. The one who is now Mrs. Babcock was first taken away, and after a few years she wrote to the asylum, but the only information she received was that Ella had been taken out by a farmer, who desired to bring her up as his own daughter and did not wish any of her friends to know her address. Mrs. Babcock has kept the search up at intervals since, but without success.

The records at the asylum show that Ella and Sarah Shears were received in January, 1872, and Ella was taken away in May, 1877. Any information would be gladly received by Mrs. Babcock at Altmar.


Syracuse Herald, February 18, 1904, page 3.
A Christening Party.

FULTON, Feb. 18.- The christening of Henry Isadore Marius, son of Mr. and Mrs. Max Marins of No. 314(?) Seneca street was the occasion of a pleasant gathering. Among those in attendance were Mr. and Mrs. Schwartz, Mrs. M. Fried, Mrs. Bloom, the Rev. Albert, the Rev. Perlemen and Mr. Rosenthal of Syracuse, H. Waldhorn of Watertown; Dr. E. J. Cusack, Mr. Rosenbloom, Mr. Altman, Mr. Kaplan. Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Waldborn, Emile Waldborn, and Mrs. Grom of this city. Many valuable gifts were bestowed upon the baby. Mr. and Mrs. Schwartz of Syracuse  acted as sponsors. After the christening a dinner was served by Mrs. Samuel Waldhorn(?)


Syracuse Herald, February 18, 1904, page 3.


FULTON, Feb. 18.- A daughter has been born to Mr. and Mrs. John Winters.

Mrs. Henry Highriter has been very ill.

The Schumann club will meet with Miss Elizabeth Lee next Monday evening.

J. C. Land is under treatment with Doctor Stockwell of Oswego for
paralysis of the optic nerve.

Attorney Arvin S. Rice is ill at his home with typhoid fever.

The Bay View club will meet at the home of Miss Lillie Pratt in Oneida
street next Tuesday evening.

Floyd Austin is visiting his brother in Baldwinsville.

Prof. James Fairgrieves has leased the part of the Falley seminary
building now occupied by the Rev. and Mrs. A. H. Grant and will take
possession on April 1st.

Mr. and Mrs. Max Katz attended the charity ball in Syracuse  Tuesday night.

The following officers for the proposed new High school paper have been
elected: Editor-in-chief, Robert B. Hall; assistant editor, Mabel
Dominick; associated editors, Gilbert Benedict, Edward Cook, Lizzie
McAllister, Helen Brown and Cassie Marsh. The first number of the paper
will be published in March.

A number of friends surprised George Currier at his home in Second street,
West Side, last evening. Whist furnished the entertainment and the prizes
were won by Eva McCormick and Thomas Van Derlinder.


Syracuse Herald, March 12, 1904

FULTON, March 12.- Mrs. Margaret Sexton is ill at her home in Broadway.


Syracuse Herald, March 6, 1905.

Guardian Appointed.

Fulton, March 6.- Thomas Mahar of this city has been appointed guardian of his two children, John d. and Frank G. Mahar, minors. Mrs. Catherine
Mahar, mother of the children, died on February 7th, leaving a life
insurance policy for $1,00 of which the children are the beneficiaries.


Syracuse Herald, April 18, 1906.
Fitch-Cooper Nuptials.

Fulton, April 18.- At the home of the bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs.
Langdon C. Fitch, in this city yesterday, occurred the marriage of Myrtle
M. Fitch of Fulton and Glen Cooper of Hannibal. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. George R. Foster and the bride and groom were attended by a sister of the bride, Lois Fitch, and a brother of the groom, Farron Cooper.


Syracuse Herald, January 18, 1908.


New Women's Club Formed.

Pulaski, Jan. 18.- The W. N. C. club is the name of a new society just
formed in Pulaski by a number of the young women, which includes the
following: Miss Mary J. Clyde, Miss Hazel M. Robbins, Miss Lucille K. C
lark, Miss Margaret G. Brown, Miss  Helen A. Davis, Miss Sarah Holmes,
Miss Lillian Edwards, Miss Elsie L. Petrie and Miss Mildred Barless.

Miss Della Mattison and Miss Rachel Mattison of Gretna, Kan., have been
visiting relatives in this vicinity.

Mr. and Mrs. Edward J. Seiter left for New York last evening, where they
will remain about a week. Mr. Seiter will attend the furniture exhibit.

Harold McRobbie of Syracuse is visiting Mr. and Mrs. Frank T. Bonney of

Mr. and Mrs. George E. Lane of Watertown are the guests sf Mr. and Mrs.
Wilfred L. Lane of Mill street.

Mrs. Nathan B. Smith, who has been the guest of Syracuse friends for a few days, returned home to-day.


Syracuse Herald, May 22, 1908.

Fulton Briefs.

Miss Blanche Hall and Lena Bennett attended a recital in Crouse college,
Syracuse, on Wednesday.

Mrs. A. E. Wares and her family of Warsaw are the guests of Mr. and Mrs.
E. F. Van Amburg of the West Side.

Charles Tuerk of England is visiting his brother, Samuel O. Tuerk, of
South Third street.

William Clark of Illinois is the guest of relatives in this city.


Syracuse Herald, June 8, 1908.

Minetto, June 8.- Mrs. W. Ward Harry of Flint, Mich., who was called to
Minetto on account of the death of her aunt, Mrs. Walter Pollock, is
spending a few days with relatives in town.

Mrs. J. R. Ottman left Saturday for Louisville, Ky., to spend a few weeks
with relatives.

The Minetto baseball nine won the game from the Y. M. C. A. of Oswego. The score was 8 to 0. Miller was in the box for the locals and allowed only
four scattering hits.


Little Edna Youngs Tried to Jump Over a Fence.


One Rib Broken and a Rupture of the Kidneys Produced-
Little Girl Unconscious for a Time-
Attending Physicians Hope to Save Her Life.

Fulton, June 8.- Edna, the 13-year-old daughter of Deputy Sheriff and Mrs. John W. Youngs, is critically ill at the home of her parents in North
First street as the result of injuries received in a fall yesterday
afternoon. Mr. Youngs was working a short distance from  his home and his
little girl was playing near him, when he requested Edna to go to the
house on an errand. The little girl started on a run and when she came to
a low fence started to leap over it as she had often done. Her foot caught
and she was thrown headlong to the ground with great force. She was
carried unconscious into the house and Dr. N. Haviland was summoned. Later Dr. Haviland called Dr. A. L. Hall and in examination revealed the fact
that one rib was broken and a rupture of the kidneys was caused.

The little girl is in great pain. However, the physicians hope to  save
her life.

Wise Family Reunion.

Fulton June 8.- The descendants and relatives of John L. Wise will gather
on Tuesday, June 23d, at the home of Mr. Wise's son, Harvey Wise, two
miles east of Mount Pleasant, for the third annual reunion of the Wise
family and, incidentally, to celebrate the eighty-seventh birthday
anniversary of Mr. Wise.

Bans of Matrimony.

Fulton, June 8.- At the Church of the Immaculate Conception yesterday the Rev. J. L. Lindsman read the bans of matrimony for James Mehegan and Miss Agnes Murphy.

Fulton Briefs.

Fulton, June 8.-  Loren Overbaugh left  Friday for Kingston, Ont., where
he will visit his parents.

Excursion boat Sara to charter for private parties, picnics, excursions.
Licensed boat. Address J. A. Blann, 217 West Third St.

Miss Ethel Patterson left to-day for Newark, N. J., for a stay of two weeks.

Pulaski Briefs.

A number of the girl friends of Miss Helen A. Davis and Miss Lucille E.
Clark gave them a drive to Selkirk Beach Saturday afternoon, where a shore supper was served in honor of their birthdays. Besides Miss Clark and Miss Davis others who participated in the event were Miss Mary Jane Clyde, Miss Hazel M. Robbins, Miss Elsie Petrie, Miss Margaret G. Brown, Miss Irene M. Edwards, Miss Mildred Barless and Miss Lillian Edwards.

Warner B. Wheeler, many years ago manager of the Hotel De June, but now
manager of the Flower estate at Watertown, visited friends in Pulaski

Melvin A. Blodgett, who has been visiting George W. Harvey, returned to
his home in Syracuse Saturday.


Syracuse Herald, July 16, 1908.

Social Gathering.

Constantia, July 16.- A very pleasant social gathering was held at the
home of H. F. Tallcott Tuesday afternoon in honor of Mrs. A. R. Bliss and
daughter, Mabelle, of Braddock, Pa. The following were present from
Constantia: Mr. and Mrs. H. F. Tallcott, Eva Tallcott, Nina Tallcott, Mrs.
and Mrs. H. H. Tallcott, Rollo Tallcott, Mary Tallcott, Mr. and Mrs. J. F.
Landgraff, Mrs. A. R. Bliss, Mabelle Bliss, Miss Adeline Baker, Miss
Florence Grannis, Mrs. J. Penoyer and Mr. and Mrs. E. M. Whightmen, and G. J. Prentiss of West Monroe. After a bountiful repast on the lawn the
company was entertained by vocal and instrumental music by the Misses
Bliss and Baker and others, after which the company adjourned to meet at
the home of H. H. Tallcott in the evening to enjoy a musical programme.


Central Square Newspaper Publisher
Cannot Be Found.

Pulaski, July 16.- Another Oswego county man has suddenly disappeared, and strangely, too. This time it is George I. Pettingill, a printer, a former
resident of Pulaski, and who more than a year ago left here with his wife,
who is a daughter of Emmett Lewis of Parish, going to Central Square,
where they took charge of the plant of the Central Square News, a weekly
publication. Both Pettingill and his wife were for some time employed in
the Pulaski Democrat office. As the story goes, the couple a little more
than a week ago, according to a telephone message received by a reporter
for this paper, left Central Square on a visit, Mrs. Pettingill going to
the home of her parents and Mr. Pettingill visited his parents in Mexico.
Soon after he returned to the Square, not finding his wife at home, as he
expected, he left for Syracuse and while in that city went to the naval
recruiting station and made application for enlistment, but was rejected,
so it is learned, because his avoirdupois was not sufficient. Since that
time all trace of the missing printer-editor has been lost. It is reported
that Pettingill, soon after his marriage, absented himself for awhile
without any explanation. He was about 22 years old.

The plant at Central Square is owned by William H. Vrooman, it is
understood, who is now in charge.


Syracuse Herald, November 14, 1908.

Fulton, Nov. 14.- At the home of Irvin Keller, No. ___ Broadway, last
evening occurred the marriage of J. Webster Snyder and Mrs. Almeda Wilson, both of this city, the Rev. F. A. Miller performing the ceremony.

Back To Misc Page

Back To Oswego County NYGenweb

Copyright © 2007-2009 Anonymous /Laura Perkins 
All Rights Reserved