Oswego Co., NY Biographical Sketches  


Excerpted from: “History of Oswego County, New York”,  1789 – 1877, published by Everett & Ferriss, 1878.  Photograph was in original biography.


Thomas Askew

     Born at St. Ives, Huntingdonshire, England, March 8, 1802.  He pursued the business of brewing in England, which he learned in his youth.  In 1831, he with his wife and two children migrated, and on reaching New York formed the acquaintance of the Messrs. Burckle and Hawley, and by them was induced to come to Oswego, with the intention of purchasing the then newly-erected brewery situated on the Burt (now Murry) farm; but not succeeding in that enterprise, he purchased a farm in Scriba, where his plain, unostentatious, and honest life was spent tilling the soil, and in the perusal of the leading periodicals of the day, and the study of various works on farming and agriculture.  His creed that “theory and practice” go  hand in hand was fully demonstrated by the scientific and intelligent manner in which he conducted his well-cultivated farm. 

   After having made his home in the “new world”, Mr. Askew received his naturalization papers from the hands of the present Judge Allen, then in law partnership with George Fisher, Esq.  During the prime of his life, Mr. Askew officiated in several township offices, and was elected supervisor for three successive terms.  In the year 1852 he was the Democratic candidate for member of assembly for this district.

          Through all of his useful life he was the strenuous advocate of every good cause benefitting the public.  In him the free-school system found a most earnest supporter, and the “Stone school-house”, on the middle road, remains a monument of his energetic influence.

         His death occurred January 12, 1875, at his home in Scriba township, where his much-respected widow still lives, surrounded by her children, in good health, and very active.

         Mr. Askew was married October 13, 1828 to Miss Anna F. Cozzens, daughter of George Cozzens, Esq.
         Anna F. Cozzens was born at the stamp-office (of stamp-act notoriety), Bristol, Somersetshire, England, January 12, 1804, and is consequently now in her seventy-fourth year.  She is a much respected and estimable lady, beloved by her children, and cherished by her numerous acquaintances and friends.

Our thanks go to Jan Turner, who transcribed this biography.  Jan is researching the following names:  ASKEW, BATCHELOR, BROWN, SMITH, and TURNER.   Jan would love to hear from anyone researching these names.  jaturner@harborside.com

August ‘Gustave’ Littman HONE

By Charles N. Johnson, 29 November 1998

   August ‘Gustave’ Littman HONE (HOHN?) was born 1817 in Wittenberg Saxony Germany and immigrated to the US prior to September 1854.  He married Gertrude WASMER (born 10 August 1830 in ?) and their first child, Felix was born 12 September 1854 in Oswego, NY. 

During their years in Oswego they had 9 more children; 
Francis ‘Frank’ (bn 22 Jun 1856 and baptised at St. Marys Catholic Church, Oswego), 
Fromas ‘Fromie’ (bn 1858), 
Philimina (bn 1862),
Philip (bn 1864), 
Fabian S. (bn 1865), 
Vincent ( bn 1867), 
Agness Victoria (bn 1868), 
Julia (bn 1870) 
and Jerome ‘Romie’ (bn 1871). 

    They owned a home and he worked as a pedler untill they moved to Racine, Wisconsin in about 1872.  They had two more children after they moved to Racine, Cosmas ‘Cause’ (bn 1873) and Vincentia ‘Vinnie’ (bn ?).  August and family lived at 1656 Douglas ave. 

    He worked as a rag and junk pedler (G. Hone & Son; Gustave and Fielix) untill he died 6 April 1897.  Felix was married to Gertrude Margret PITZEN, on 24 Aug 1880, and they had 10 children and lived at 1649 Milwaukee ave. from 1887.  Felix & Gertrude’s oldest child of 10, was my Grandfather Hubert Clement Hone, born on 12 Jan 1882.

Charles is looking for more information on the Hone family, and if anyone knows about the soldier, Edgar HONE, on the 81st NY Inf. Roster, please contact him at:  chazj@ticon.net

This was sent in by Curtis W. LeRoy, who mentions the existence of a cemetery in Redfield, at the Methodist Church.   "Just a quick note regarding cemeteries in Oswego County. The Redfield Methodist Church has a cemetery which remains unmentioned in your site.  I provide the following excerpt of my father's notes regarding my great-great grandfather, Rev. Peter Storm LeRoy who ultimately preached and died in Redfield, NY."
(*If anyone has information on this church and the cemetery, please let me know. )

Peter Storm LeRoy

     On February 8, 1793, Peter Storm LeRoy was born in Johnstown, New York. He was one of a large family and was the third child and the second son of Peter Francis LeRoy and Margaret (Storm) LeRoy.  His mother was the first wife of Peter Francis, and the newborn child was named for his maternal grandfather Peter Storm who lived in the adjacent town of Palatine.

     In the next eighteen years his father's family grew to ten. Three years after Peter Storm was born another brother and sister reflected a need for larger quarters, and led to a move howbeit within Johnstown. There he grew up in a rural community which included his cousins, daughters of his Uncle Levi, younger brother of Peter Francis. This led to marital developments. 

     In 1816 when Peter Storm was twenty-three and his brother Francis, two years his junior, they eloped with their cousins. Peter Storm paired with Levi's fifteen year old Gertrude, and Francis with Levi's sixteen year old Helena. These first cousin marriages seem to have been ill-starred. Early in 1817 Gertrude died, possibly in childbirth, while no records have come to light re Francis and Helen. 

     Within a year of Gertrude's death, Peter Storm met and married his second wife, namely twenty-one year old Abigail Carpenter, three years his junior, in Rutland, Vermont. It is known that Abigail was born in Vermont on February 16, 1796, yet the identity of her parents has thus far not surfaced, nor has the locale of her wedding.

     Almost immediately after their marriage the couple started married life in Brownville, New York, on the Black River. There two children were born, the first in 1818. The family did not tarry in Brownville, moving circa 1821 to Wilna, New York, also on the Black River. There in the ensuing years six (and possibly a stillborn seventh) more girls were born. Prior to 1832 another move to Lyme, New York on Chaumont Bay, took place. Before the decade was over one of the girls had been born and died, one had been married, two more daughters had been added, and at long last, twenty-one years after the birth of his oldest sister, on December 24, 1839, a son was born, the last child of 
Peter Storm and Abigail LeRoy. Ecstatic, they named him George Washington LeRoy.

     Deeply religious, at some point early in his married life, Peter Storm LeRoy was ordained a Methodist Episcopal minister. There is no evidence at this writing as to how he trained for this role, if indeed he ever experienced any formal preparation for it. While it is known that he preached in several churches, significant records are scarce. There is reason to believe he was at times an itinerant, preaching to more than one parish on successive weeks of circuit riding. It is doubtful he could have supported his large family through this calling alone, and indeed he is designated a farmer on some records. Even so, one might conclude that scratching out an existence for his many children, his wife, and himself must have been a serious and taxing responsibility.

     Whether or not there were more moves than those fixed by the birthdays of the children of Peter Storm and Abigail, and/or by census records, has thus far not been determined. If so, such moves would have been limited and brief.  One of the limiting factors was transportation. It appears significant that the Black River connects Brownville, Wilna, and via Black River Bay, both Lyme and Henderson. This indicates water transport accessibility, a popular mode of travel both before and after the opening of the Erie Canal in 1825. Moreover, they were all within horse and buggy driving distance of one another. The Reverend Peter Storm LeRoy doubtless used both means in whatever way each met his requirements, especially since ferries perhaps enabled maximum use of both. 

     Ferries could have been of special importance in getting to church. The oldest and only Methodist Episcopal Church within the Black River areas described above, which is contemporary with Peter Storm LeRoy, is the First Methodist Episcopal Church and Society of Henderson, (Jefferson County) New York. Records began in 1844, but those between 1844 and 1853 were later accidentally 
burned by a janitor. Peter Storm LeRoy, however, was in the Lyme/Henderson area from 1831 to 1853. The last nine of those years match the period covered by the burnt records.

     The year 1853 takes on added significance since then it was Peter Storm moved to Redfield in Oswego County, New York. A number of factors motivated this. The pattern of life in this area was changing. When he and Abigail moved to Brownville in 1820 the population of nearby Lyme was 1724, but growing.

     By 1845 it was a thriving village of 6,018, but dropped to 2,925 in 1850. In that latter year the Cape Vincent portion of the town was set off and further population loss became likely. While Peter Storm preached in the Henderson Methodist Church during the 1844-1853 period, and surrounding area during the 1831-1844 period, he may have lived in Henderson from 1844 to the critical year 1853. Although he could have tried to replace parishioners lost to St. Vincent by a return to the circuit, the result was seemingly unsuccessful. Another factor was his age, and as he grew older may have been less able to stand the rigors of riding the circuit.

     Peter Storm LeRoy was sixty when he moved to Redfield in 1853. By this time most of his family was no longer in his home. Some of the girls had married. Others were working. He and Abigail had only the two youngest still with them. With his only son he owned a frame house valued at $300, a considerably higher price than most others at the time of the State Census of 1855. Peter Storm's only son was just sixteen at that time, and the property may have been rented before the purchase was made. The assessment of property at that time required separate visitations. They revealed that Peter Storm LeRoy was classified as a clergyman and was the only one of his household eligible to vote. In 1992 the house still stands.

     The Methodist Church of Redfield was part of a circuit which served the town of Florence as well as that of Redfield. It was built in 1824, possibly a half dozen years after the local church was organized. This house of worship was the first in town. In 1853 the two members of the circuit, once as many as four, separated.  Peter Storm LeRoy became the first minister of the Separated Redfield Church. His move to Redfield may have been in part an answer to a call, which may also explain how he wound up in his three hundred dollar house. In 1992 the church was still standing, but had not been in use for several years. Here he preached during the next four years until his death on March 17, 1857 at the age of sixty-four. He was buried nearby in the Methodist churchyard.

     Peter Storm LeRoy's only son left Redfield in 1855, but Abigail and the youngest daughter continued for a while to live there. At some point prior to the census of 1860 Abigail moved to Syracuse to live with her son, while her daughter remained until her marriage in 1867.  By that time the family homestead on County Road, No. 17, Great Lot No. 21 had been sold to one C. Potter.

This biography was generously contributed by Curtis W. LeRoy, who has a genealogy website with over 1300 surnames, and some photographs.  You may visit his site at:   http://www.mindspring.com/~protonpkg/index.htm
Curtis is researching the following surnames including, but not limited too:   LeRoy, Warner, Treworgy, Brainard, Woodruff, Curtis(s), Douglas(s), Sykora, Gates and Brigham, and would love to share information.   Please email him at: curt@protonpkg.com.  He is also interested in any information on the Redfield Methodist Church circa 1850-1860



--was born in Scotland in the year 1820.  He emigrated with his father's family to this country in 1834, and remained under the paternal roof until he attained his majority, and two years thereafter commenced life on his own account.
   In 1854 he married Eliza Rice, and the result of this union was one son and one daughter.  She died in 1873 and in May of the following year he married Julia DeWolf, by whom he had one daughter.
Mr. Laing, held the office of supervisor four years, and has occupied several other offices of trust in the town, all of which he filled to the entire satisfaction of the people and to his personal credit.
   For many years he manufactured salt-barrels, and is now engaged in the lumber business in connection with farming.  He is a clever, whole-souled gentleman, whose many admirable qualities of head and heart deservedly command universal respect.  In its appropriate place in our work can he seen a portrait of Mr. Laing.

Source: “History of Oswego County, New York”,  1789 – 1877, published by Everett & Ferriss, 1878.



   is a native of Parish, Oswego County, New York, where he was born on the 8th day of September, 1816.  He is a descendant of the English who settled in Connecticut prior to the Revolution, and inherits in a great degree the energy and force of character of those honored pioneers.  After attending the common schools he entered the Rensselaer Oswego academy, where lie graduated, and subsequently studied law and medicine.
In 1863 he was elected to the assembly of this State, and served in that capacity two years.  He has been chosen by his fellow-townsmen to the office of supervisor, and served four terms.  He has also officiated as justice of the peace and assessor.  Mr. Palmer has also rendered himself useful in the military, and has discharged the duties of colonel and inspector-general of militia.

   September 16, 1835, lie united in marriage with Amanda North.  They had one child, who died in infancy.  Mrs. Palmer died February 3, 1840.  May 27, 1847, Mr. Palmer married Olive Porter.  Their family consisted of one child, who died at the age of fourteen years.

   In all matters looking to the welfare of the public Mr. Palmer is ever found foremost, and has done much towards the advancement of the religious and educational interests of the community in which he resides.  He has manifested an active interest in political matters, and is a member of the Republican party.  He has often been called from the store and the farm by his fellow-citizens to officiate in various public capacities, and has ever discharged his duties with great credit to himself and to the entire satisfaction of his constituency.  Mr. Palmer is a consistent member of the Baptist church.  He resides on the farm purchased by his father when he came to this county, and is surrounded by all the attributes of a happy rural home.

Source: “History of Oswego County, New York”,  1789 – 1877, published by Everett & Ferriss, 1878.



-- was born in Orkney, Scotland, May 15, 1819, the sixth of ten children.  His father was Robert Petrie,  farmer and weaver.  James married Jesssie Guthrie, of Kirkwell, Scotland in 1845.  Seven children—two sons and five daughters, all living-were – born to them, one in Scotland, the rest in America.  He landed in New York June 2,1847, and arrived in Redfield on the 6th of the same month.  One month after, by the aid of a brother in New York, he purchased one hundred and twenty acres of land, clearing enough to keep five cows and a span of horses.  This farm was afterwards traded, by his brother, for a house in Brooklyn, James receiving the money he had paid upon it. In 1853 he purchased the Lewis farm of two hundred and sixty-two and a half acres, where his eldest son now lives.  In 1872 he purchased the Burkett farm of two hundred acres, where he now lives.  Besides the eldest son above mentioned, three daughters are married, and are living in the vicinity. Mr. Petrie has served as commissioner of highways and as supervisor of the township.  In politics he is a Republican. At. the age of sixteen he joined the Secession Presbyterian church of Scotland, his father being an elder in the same for over thirty years.  Mr. Petrie has been elder in the church for several years.  Coming to this country with very limited means, by untiring industry he has accumulated a handsome fortune, and ranks among the most thrifty of the farmers of the neighborhood.

Source: “History of Oswego County, New York”,  1789 – 1877, published by Everett & Ferriss, 1878.

Biographical Sketch of William Ross

Contributed by Doug Groner at:  <Groner2413@aol.com>

William Ross lived in the city of Oswego from 1866 to 1892.  According to his  obituary, he was prominent in the Masonic Lodge in the city of Oswego.Can anyone tell me the Lodge name and /or lodge number for the Oswego chapter during this period?  I need this to help in researching this man  further.  He is my  gggrandfather.  He worked as a tailor. Wife Martha, both  born in Scotland.  Son John a  butcher, Daughter Mary was a school teacher in Oswego high school.

William Ross, wife Martha, son John W., daughter Maryann are all buried at Rural Union Cemetary.  William, born somewher in Scotland 1818-1819 moved to Oswego in 1866 where he worked as a tailor until 1892 according  to the Oswego city  directory. Son John W and Daughter Maryann were born somewhere in Ny State before coming to Oswego. John was a butcher, I believe Mary was a teacher, she died  in 1901.  Martha was born in Scotland, Martha Lauther 9 DEC 1820 died 12 JUN 1882.  If anyone has further information on the Ross family please contact Doug at email address above.

* My response to Doug Groner
The Masonic lodge in city of Oswego was #127 and organized in 1847 and was still in existence in 1945.  The present lodge for oswego (there are several in the county but try the one listed below to see if they have the records from the #127.  Or you can contact NY City as before and give them #127 Lodge. 
Hiram # 144
614 South Fourth Street
Fulton, NY  13069
1st & 3rd Tuesdays - 7:30 PM  Oswego District 


Jacob SHOECRAFT was born on May10, 1759 in Shawagunk, Ulster Co., New York..  He married Caroline Sammons.  He died on February 27, 1836 and was buried in North Boylston Cemetery--in Boylston, New York.  He was 77 years old.

Jacob's father was Johan Peter Shoecraft born abt. 1734.  He died in Ulster Co., New York.  Jacob had a brother John--they were very close all their lives.  They were farmers and both of them fought in the Revolutionary War.  Their records show that they were listed as deserters now and then.  Those were the times  they left the battle and went home to check on their families and to work on their farms---then they returned and continued to fight.  They were men of integrity with a sound belief in God.  They served their communities.

Jacob served in the Ulster County Militia--4th Regiment under Col. Hardenburg and Col. Lewis Pawling. 
Reference of his service is made in "New York in the Revolution"--compiled by R. A. Oaks.  Published by The Lewis Publishing Company --1905.  Volume 1 - Page 366.
Jacob lived at Paltz and at Shawankunk, New York during the Revolutionary War and after the Revolution, he lived in Shawangunk, Brodalbin, Johnstown, Schuyler, Orwell and Boylston--all in New York. He applied for a pension on Sept 24, 1832 at Boylston, New York.

Military information:

County:  Jefferson Co.
Rank:  Private
Annual allowance:  $79.50
Description of Service:  New York Militia
Placed on Pension Roll:  Nov. 7, 1832
Commencement of Pension:  Mar. 4, 1831
Age: 73

Our thanks go to Laura Shoecraft for contributing this information.  Laura and her son, Chuck Shoecraft, want anyone to be able to learn about the family, especially if they are Shoecrafts searching for their roots.  Chuck Shoecraft has a Family Home Page, where you will learn a lot about them - SHOECRAFT FAMILY IN AMERICA. 

Excerpted from: “History of Oswego County, New York”, 1789 – 1877, published by Everett & Ferriss, 1878. 


----son of the late Major Hiel Stone, the first settler of the township of Scriba, was born at Norton Hill, on Provost’s patent,** in the township of Greenville, Greene county, New York, in the year 1791.  He moved to Oswego with his father’s family in the year 1803, and in the year following they removed to Scriba (then called Fredericksburg).  It was then a dense forest, and he was very efficient in surveying and locating land and in constructing highways in the townships of Scriba and Volney, and assisted in surveying, and superintended the construction, of the first public highway from New Haven to Oswego.

          Mr. Stone was a patriotic and active supporter of the war of 1812, was a “volunteer”, and on guard at the time of the embargo, and used to relate some amusing incidents connected therewith.

          He purchased a large tract of land, and in the year 1818 married Miss Alma Everts, daughter of the late Solomon Everts, Esq., one of the pioneer settlers of the town of Mexico.  He then began to clear the then wilderness; built a saw-mill and had quite an extensive lumber business, furnishing quantities of lumber for buildings in Oswego, and employment for a great many men.  He lived to see the growth and progress of Oswego from a small settlement, containing but a few buildings, to a flourishing city.  He was very active and generous in everything for the advancement of the good of the public.  He was the most extensive fruit-grower in his vicinity; his home was surrounded by a body-guard of fruit-trees.  He barreled from eight hundred to a thousand barrels of apples for many successive years.

         Among the prominent traits of Mr. Stone’s character was his liberality in the cause of education.  The free-school law never had a warmer advocate nor firmer friend.  He was unostentatious, and, though a prominent member of his political party, declined all the honors which his friends wished to bestow upon him.  His motto was to “owe no man”, and his aim to do all the good in his power.  He was industrious to a fault, and he accomplished a remarkable amount of labor, often felling trees and clearing land by moonlight, when the county was new.  And yet he found ample time for intellectual improvement.  He was well informed, of sound judgement, far-seeing, and possessed of an extraordinary memory.  He was a man of sterling integrity, possessed of a patriotic spirit, generous and hospitable to all, self-sacrificing, in his family affectionate, and in social circles courteous and genial.  A promoter of truth and right, and just in all relations to men.

          After a long, eventful, and busy life, Mr. Stone passed to that other and nobler life, where he doubtless now enjoys the felicity of the blest, May 22, 1870.  In his death the community lost a good citizen, his children a kinds and loving parent, and his neighbors a true friend.

Verily, as the greatest of American poets has said, ----
“The lives of good men all remind us
We can made our lives sublime,
And, departing, leave behind us
Footprints on the sands of time.”

**Augustin Provost was a British officer before the Revolution, and an intimate friend of Sir 

William Johnson.

Our thanks go to Jan Turner, who transcribed this biography.  Jan is researching the following names:  ASKEW, BATCHELOR, BROWN, SMITH, and TURNER.   Jan would love to hear from anyone researching these names.  jaturner@harborside.com

Waters Family history

Descendants of Hugh Waters: 

Generation No. 1

1.  HUGH1 WATERS was born Abt. 1801 in County Cork, Ireland, and died April 04, 1875 in Granby, Oswego Co., NY.  He married MARY CATHERINE CORRIGAN.

**Notes for HUGH WATERS:
Hugh Waters emigrated to the USA around 1853/54 and was Naturalized as an American,  February 17,1863 in Oswego City, Oswego Co., NY.
The family was Roman Catholic.

Children of HUGH WATERS and MARY CORRIGAN are:
2.  i.  BRIDGET2 WATERS, b. February 02, 1835, Ireland; d. July 03, 1910, 
Cardinal, Grenville Co., Ontario.
3.  ii. JOHN WATERS, b. 1841, Ireland; d. 1891, Granby, Oswego Co., NY.
    iii.    PATRICK WATERS, b. 1841, Ireland.
    iv. MARY WATERS, b. 1844; d. July 06, 1877, Granby, Oswego Co., NY; m. 
WARNER MILLER, Aft. July 1865.

Generation No. 2

2.  BRIDGET2 WATERS (HUGH1) was born February 02, 1835 in Ireland, and died  July 03, 1910 in Cardinal, Grenville Co., Ontario.  She married MARTIN LEACY, March 30, 1855 in Oswego, Oswego Co., NY.

4.  i.  JAMES WATTERS3 LEACY, d. Cardinal, Grenville Co., Ontario.

3.  JOHN2 WATERS (HUGH1) was born 1841 in Ireland, and died 1891 in Granby, Oswego Co., NY.  He married (1) MARGARET HOURIHAN,
daughter of JOHN HOURIHAN and MARGARET.  He married (2) ANNA HOURIHAN Bet. 1861 - 1865, daughter of JOHN HOURIHAN and MARGARET.

Margaret was the sister of Anna Hourihan,  John's second wife.

    i.  WILLIAM JOHN3 WATERS, b. November 28, 1875.

Children of JOHN WATERS and ANNA HOURIHAN are:
    ii. MARY J3 WATERS, b. 1865.
    iii.    MARGARET WATERS, b. March 06, 1867; d. 1930, Fulton, Oswego Co., NY; m. MARTIN WARD.
    iv. ANNA WATERS, b. April 05, 1869; d. 1945, Fulton, Oswego Co., NY; m. 
    v.  JAMES HUGH WATERS, b. March 06, 1871; d. 1900.
    vi. JOHN PATRICK WATERS, b. April 07, 1873.

Generation No. 3

in Cardinal, Grenville Co., Ontario.  He married MARGARET ELLENOR KAVANAUGH.

5.  i.  KATHLEEN MARY ELLENOR4 LEACY, b. December 16, 1894, Cardinal, Grenville Co., Ontario; d. May 18, 1994, Cardinal, Grenville Co., Ontario.

Generation No. 4

BRIDGET2 WATERS, HUGH1) was  born December 16, 1894 in Cardinal, Grenville Co., Ontario, and died May 18, 1994 in Cardinal, Grenville Co., Ontario.  She married EDWIN MICHAEL FREEMAN October 01, 1918 in Prescott, Grenville Co., Ontario, son of WILLIAM FREEMAN and MARY FITZGERALD.

This was generously contributed by Margaret Madden.  For more information on the Waters Family, you may contact her at Bopboom@aol.com

W. H. Workman 

   One of the progressive business men of Oswego is W. H.  Workman, who is proprietor of Workman's Flower Shop, at 37 West Bridge Street. He was born at Bristol, England, April 18, 1867, the son of 
John and Elizabeth (Innis) Workman.   Both John Workman and his wife were born in England. He was a building contractor and met with an accidental death in 1878.  He is buried in England. His widow died in 1911 and is buried at Terre Haute, Ind. 

Their children were: 

1.     Thomas, who lives in England. 
2.     Jane Davis, who died in 1927, at Auburn, N. Y. 
3.     Elizabeth, lives in England. 
4.     Frederick, lives at Auburn, N. Y. 
5.     Alice Chapman, lives at Los Angeles, Calif. 
6.     Edward, deceased. 
7.     W. H., the subject of this sketch. 

W. H. Workman lived in England until he was 15 years of age, at which time he came to the United States and settled at Auburn, N. Y. He became a florist in that city and was thus engaged until 1887.  He has since lived at Oswego with the exception of two years spent at Millbrook. 

He opened a downtown store in 1910, 21 West Bridge Street, which he operated in connection with his large greenhouse business. Mr. Workman has owned the building he is now located in at 37 West Bridge Street since 1926. He has 8,000 square feet under glass and makes a specialty of potted plants and cut flowers, almost his entire output being sold on a retail sale basis. 

In 1887 Mr. Workman was united in marriage with Miss Anna Sheehan, of Oswego, the daughter of Daniel and Mary (Lynch) Sheehan, who were natives of Ireland, both now deceased. They are buried at Rochester, N. Y.  Mrs. Workman is also a native of Ireland and as a young girl was brought to Canada by her parents and later to Oswego. 

Seven children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Workman: 

1.     Florence, born April 18, 1888, married Richard Muskell, lives at Oswego, and they have two children, Barbara and Elizabeth. 
2.     Walter, born Oct. 25, 1889, is associated in business with his father. He married Miss Vina Muskell, of Oswego, and they have three sons: Robert, George, and Richard. 
3.     George, born Dec. 27, 1891, lives at Freeport, Long Island. He married Miss Claire Fox, of New Haven, N. Y. 
4.     Violet, born in August, 1893, a graduate of Oswego State Normal School, married Harry Elliott, of Bristol, Va., and they live at Fultonville, N. Y. 
5.     Llewellyn, born Sept. 26, 1895, a graduate of New York University, class of 1927, lives at White Plains, N. Y. He married Miss Verna Chetney, and they have a son, Llewellyn, Jr., 6.
6.     Pearl, born in 1898, a graduate of Oswego State Normal School, is the widow of Brewster Moore. She is now a teacher in the Syracuse public schools. 
7.     Virginia, born in 1901, a graduate of Oswego State Normal School, married Benjamin King, lives at Endicott, N. Y.

Politically, Mr. Workman is a Republican. He is a member of the Episcopal Church, and is affiliated with Frontier Lodge F. & A.M., B.P.O. Elks, Knights of Pythias, and Kiwanis Club.

Source:  From "The North Country, a History", by Harry F. Landon, Historical Publishing Company, Indianapolis, IN. 1932

This was generously contributed by Linda Hansen.  Linda also a family home page and can be viewed at: http://www.familytreemaker.com/users/h/a/n/Linda-W-Hansen/index.html

Back to Biography Page

Back to Oswego County NYGenWeb

Copyright © 1999 - 2004 Laura Perkins/ & Contributors
All Rights Reserved