This society is located on Catharine street and was organized June 28, 1877; it was an outgrowth of the German Mission, begun in 1862 under the auspices of the First Baptist church. A lot was purchased and a chapel erected on Lodi street near Ash. In November, 1875, Rev. Reinhard Hoefflin became the missionary, and under him the organization was effected. He continued until 1884, and was succeeded by Rev. C. H. Schmidt, who was succeeded in 1888 by Rev. H. W. Geil. The present pastor is Rev. Louis Gebhardt. In 1885 a new church was erected at a cost of $7,000.
Submitted 12 July 1998