A substantial frame meeting house and session room stood ready for the use of the new church, the work having been started in the summer of 1829. It was the first house of worship built in Fayetteville. The present fine brick edifice...was dedicated June 22, 1859, and its excellent chapel, generously given by Mrs. Sarah E. Beard in memory of her son was dedicated August 26, 1880.
During seven years after the organization of the church the pulpit was supplied by a number of preachers including Rev. Samuel Manning, Rev. R. W. Condit, Rev. Erastus H. Adams, twin brother of Rev. John W. Adams, first pastor of Syracuse First Presbyterian Church, Rev. John Lord, Rev. Ethan Smith and Rev. S. S. Smith.
The first pastor, Rev. Amos C. Tuttle, was with the church from 1837 to 1841. The second pastor, Rev. Richard F. Cleveland, father of President Cleveland, was here from 1841 to 1850. Rev. Lewis H. Reid, third pastor was here from 1850 to 1861. He died last year in Hartford, Connecticut. The fourth pastor, Rev. William J. Erdman, served the church from 1861 to 1867, except a portion of the time when he was chaplain in the army. The fifth pastor was Rev. D. M. Bigelow, now of Utica. He was here from 1868 to 1872. The pulpit was then supplied for thirteen months by Rev. Edward Stratton. The sixth pastor, Rev. Robert L. Bachman now of Utica, served from 1874 to 1880. The seventh pastor, Rev. John C. Hill, was with the church from 1880 to 1882. The eighth pastor, served from 1883 to 1884. The ninth, Rev. Cyrus P. Osbore, the present incumbent, began his pastorate in 1884.
The present membership is about 200. The activities are well organized. It is especially noted for its interests in missionary work and for the large number in all not less than sixteen, who having been identified with its activities, have passed into the ministry or into foreign missionary service. The present president of the United States was not only son of one of its most revered pastors, but in early life himself a communicant."
Submitted 29 April 1998