"....This church had its beginning in the early settlement of this town, among the struggles, trials and privations incident to pioneer life, with forests to be subdued and homes to be established. Early records to 1813 are scanty.
Cyrus Kinne and Gershom Breed, early settlers, were followed by Daniel Campbell. Mr. Campbell preached occasionally in the absence of regular ministers. These three, in company with Mrs. Susanna Ward, formed themselves into a conference for religious worship, maintaining covenant meetings and enjoying occasionally preaching. Meetings were held at first in private houses, but afterwards, for many years, in a school house located on the south side of Genesee street, nearly opposite the railroad station.
In 1804 a formal recognition was extended to this organization consisting of 20 members, and they were recognized as a regular and independent church. This church was the first, with possibly one exception, of any denomination to organize in Onondaga county.
In 1804 Gershom Breed was licensed to preach, and for eight years served the church as a licentiate, after which he was ordained and became their first pastor. He was succeeded by his son, Allen Breed. The year 1830 marks the beginning of an era of prosperity for the church.
The services of Charles Morton, the pastor of the Baptist church of Manlius, were then secured for half the time, and much good was accomplished.
A house of worship was built and dedicated in 1831, which cost about $3,000, and the membership numbered 123.
In 1832 Rev. J. W. Taggart became pastor. The fourth pastor, Rev. Wm. Hutchinson, began his labors in 1835, and remained two years. The next pastor was Rev. Geo. Phippen. In 1839 Rev. John Smitzer commended a successful and efficient pastorate of six years, during which time the church increased in numbers and influence.
Rev. Lyman Wright was the esteemed Pastor for eight years, whose efforts did much to advance the church. Rev. J. B. Vrooman served the church two years. In 1854 Rev. J. Byington Smith, D. D., was chosen as pastor, the church building was enlarged, new interest was awakened, and much good accomplished.
He was succeeded by Rev. A. C. Lyon, who labored untiringly and with success until 1865, when he resigned on account of ill health. Rev. O. W. Babcock served as pastor one year, and in 1867 Rev. H. C. Woods was ordained and continued his labors with the church until 1872, during which time the present house of worship was built at a cost of $35,000. After an interim of nineteen months, Rev. Chas. J. Shrimpton began his labors, which continued tow and one-half years. Rev. Charles W. Pattengill served the church for two and a half years, and was obliged to resign on account of ill health. Rev. W. H. Hawley was called to the pastorate in June 1880 and remained with the church a little less than six years. During this period there were many added to the church.
Rev. A. C. Lyon was recalled in 1886 making the whole period of his service in the church as its pastor ten years. Rev. E. W. Saphore was called in 1891, and closed his labors the first of May last. Rev. Henry B. Williams, a recent graduate of Newton Theological Seminary, is the present pastor, having just accepted a call from the church.
The whole number of pastors who have served the church since organization is 17. The whole number received into the church by baptism, letter and experience is 1419...."
Submitted 29 April 1998