1852 New York City farms



Old Pictures and Maps
from

History of The City of New York

by

David T Valentine,
Clerk of the Common Council

1853

 

A South Prospect of Ye Flourishing City of New-York in the Province of New York.  North America
 
 
by Geo. Hayward, 120 Water Str N York for D T Valentine's History of New York
Entered according to Act of Congress in the year 1852 by D T Valentine in the Clerk's Office
of the District Court of the Southern District of New York
 
Explanatory of the Old Farm Map in the Lower Part of the City
The line of high water was the limit of all the estate bounded by the water.  All the land under water, between the original high and low water marks, was granted to the Corporation of the city of New York by the charter.
 
1. The walled city of New Amsterdam.  The Indian name for the extreme point of the upland was Kap-se. 1a.  the land lying just without the gates of the city was laid out into town lots, and granted to various persons.  1b.  The garden of Peter Stoutenburgh. 1c.  The ground of John Van Gue. 2 & 2.  This plot of ground was, at a very early period, appropriated to the use of the English Church, and subsequently granted to the church under the designation of "The Rector and Inhabitants of the city of New York."  By the charter of May 6, 1697, the church was incorporated by the name of "Rector and Inhabitants of the city of New York, in communion with the Protestant Episcopal Church of the State of New York."   By the charter of May 6, 1697, the church was incorporated by the name of "Rector and Inhabitants of the city of New York, of the Protestant Church of England, as by law established." The same religious denomination also acquired the title to "The Burial Plce," lying between No. 2 and a line a little south of Thames street.
3 & 4.  A tract of land conveyed to William Dyre, afterward of Thomas Lloyd, and a portion of it, East Broadway, more recently of Thomas Ellison. 3.  The ground of "Trentzi, the wido of Christopher Hoogland," 1696. 5.  Mesiers Millot. 6.  Thomas Dey, afterward of Janakie Ryers. 7.  The Shoemakers' Pasture, (the Dutch Church property is comprised in this tract.)
8.  Vandercliff's Land. 9.  Beekman. 10.  Beekman's Pasture. 11.  The Common. 11a.  "The Vineyard."
11b.  Waste land granted to Corporation of New York by its charter; part of the common. 12.  The King's Farm, granted to the Episcopal Church, by letters patent from Queen Anne, 22d November, 1705. 12.  The Negro Burying-ground, or "Teller's property." 13.  Estate of Governor Jacob Leisler, forfeited in 1691, upon conviction of his attainder, and afterward restored to his heirs by the act of Parliament reversing the attainder. 14.  Greppel Bosch, anglice, a swamp or marsh covered with wood, to this day called, "The Swamp."
15.  Granted to various persons, in lots, by patents. 16.  Cherry Garden, formerly the property of Richard Sackett.  This gentleman, or one of his family, afterward "located" on Lake Ontario, and gave name to the village of Sackett's Harbor. 17.  Webber & Loockerman's patent, called also "The Roosevelt Farm." 18.  The Janeway estate. 19.  Kolk Hock.
20.  Kolk, anglice, the deep, or the unfathomed; corrupted into Collect.  Also know as Versh water, or fresh water. 20a.  Powder-house lot. 21.  Pond south of the Powder-house, called the "Little Kolch." 22.  John Kingston's estate. 23.  Doyer estate.
24.  Delancey. 25.  The Dominies' Hook, a tract of land, over sixty-two acres, known also as the Dominies' Bouwerrie, was acquired by a ground brief from Governor Stuyvesant, bearing date July 4, 1654, confirmed by Governor R. Nichols, 27 March, 1667, and was conveyed by the "children and lawful heirs of Armetie Rolofs, late widow Dom'is Bogardus, to the Rt. H'ble Coll Francis Lovelace, and was afterward granted to the English Church."  The Church also claims this as part of their grant from Queen Anne. 26.  Lispenard meadows. 27.  Rutger's farm. 28. Romaine
29.  Gouverneur's estate. 30.  Ives' estate. 31.  Laight. 32.  Byvanck. 33. Stoutenburgh.
34.  Delancey. 34. a  The land on the westerly side of Pearl street, Extending to Greppel Bosch, between Ferry and Rose Streets, belonging to Belthazer Bayard, and was conveyed by him in 1683, to Theophilus Elsworth.  In 1741, it was divided into three parts, one of which was set off in severalty to Geesie, widow of Hendrick Vandewater, one other to Theophilus Elsworth, and the other to Margrittie, the widow of Johannes Clopper. 35 a b.  Delancey's east and west farms.  This estate was forfeited to the people by the attainder of Chief Justice James Delancey, during the war of the American Revolution, laid out into city lots, and conveyed by the Commissioners of Forfeitures. 36.  Bayard's west and east farms. 37.  Old Jan's land, so called from Anneke Jans, afterward belong to the English Church.
38.  The farm of Elbert Herring. 38 a b. 39.  Bleecker's estate. 40.  Alderman Dyckman's estate. 41.  Tucker.
42.  Van Cortland. 43.  The Laender farm, (so called from Laendert Arenden, one of the early proprietors.) 44.  Brown and Eckford. 45.  Abijah Hammond. 46.  Brown and Eckford.
47.  The Minthorne farm. 48.  P. Stuyvesant. 49.  Morgan Lewis, John Flack, and others. 50.  P. Stuyvesant. 51.  Stuyvestant.
52.  Stuyvesant, Peter's field. 53.  Richard Pero. 54.  Richard Pero. 55.  Belonging to Sailor's Snug Harbor. 56.  The Brevoort estate.
57.  The Springler estate. 58.  Thomas Burling. 59.  Samuel Burling, afterward Cowman. 60.  Samuel and Thomas Burling, afterward Cowman. 61.  Samuel and Thomas Burling.
62.  Anderson's place. 63.  Tiebout Williams. 64.  Krom Messie, so called from the resemblance of its outlines to the shape of a shoemaker's cutting knife, since corrupted into "Grammercy," by which name the small inclosure or "Park," within its limits, is still known. 65.  Rose Hill farm. 66.  Estate of John Watts.
67.  The estate of Sir Peter Warren, called Greenwich, "The Indian name, according to Benson, of the point of land extending into the Hudson, was Sapokanigan." 67a.  Issac Varian's estate. 67b.  Gilbert Coutant. 67c.  Estate of Ireland. 67d.  Estate of George Clinton and J.J. Astor, called "Greenwich place."
68.  Estate, formerly Yellis Manderville, afterward the property of George Clinton and John Jacob Astor. 69.  Part of the estate of Yellis Manderville, conveyed to John Staples. 70.  Part of the estate of Yellis Manderville, conveyed to Bishop Moore. 71.  Part of the estate of Yellis Manderville, conveyed to Samuel Boyd. 72.  Part of the estate of Yellis Manderville, conveyed to Bishop Moore.
73.  Estate of Bishop Moore, late of Dr. Clement C. Moore. 74.  Clarke estate. 75.  Bosson Bouwerie, or, more properly, Bosch Bouwerie (woodland) formerly (1705) the property of Elbert Hereman; all west of Seventh avenue belonged latterly to the estate of Henry Eckford. 76.  Know as the "Horn estate," originally patented (1670) by Sir Edmond Andros to Solomon Peters, a free negro, whose widow and heirs conveyed it to John Horn and Cornelius Webber, and held by Horn's descendants until a very recent date. 77.  Formerly the estate of Isaac Varian, the northerly seventeen and half acres purchased by him from the executors of John De Witt, to whom the same was conveyed by Jacob Horn in 1751; the southerly ten acres purchased from Adam Vanderburgh.
78.  Estate of Samuel Franklin. 79.  The old Alms-house lot, part of N.Y. Commons. 80.  Casper Samler, who also owned 81, 82, 83, and 84. 81.  Isaac Cross and others. 82.  Coulthard.
83.  Anderson & Grenseback. 84. 84.  Scheffelin, part, and Samler. 85. 86.  Kip's Bay farm.
87.  Murray Hill estate. 88.  Estate of John Thompson. 89.  John Slidell (formerly President of Merchanic's Bank.) 90.  Richard Dikeman and others. 91.  Samuel Van Norden.
92.  Estate of James A. Stewart.  Stewart street divided it in the centre, running westerly from Bloomingdale road, parallel with the northerly fronting on Broadway, together with Nos. 97, 98 and 99, formed the farm of Peter Van Ordens; that part lying on Fitz Roy Road, was part of Jacob Ordens' farm. 93.  John Slidell. 94.  Henry Jackson. 95.  Peter Hatterick. 96.  Ayerigg.
96.  Shute 97.  Freeman. 98.  Arden estate. 98.  Estate of Citizen Genet. 99.  Estate of Cornelius Ray.
100.  Estate of Richard Harrison, Esq., a distinguished lawyer, some fifty years since, late the property of the Hon. David S. Jones, now deceased. 101.  The property formerly of Decatur, now, or late, of James Boorman, Esq. 102.  Late of George C. Schropel. 103.  Formerly of Thomas Tibbett Warner, afterward of Rem Rapelye. 103 a.  Late of Samuel Watkins.
103 b.  Late of Isaac Moses. 103 c.  Late of Chemical Bank. 104.  Estate of I. Moses. 105.  Codman. 106.  John B. Murray.
107.  Glass-house farm.  Estate of George Rapelye, formerly belonging to Sir Peter Warren; at the northerly boundary line was the Great Kill, so called. 108.  Samuel N. Norton. 109.  James Boggs. 110.  Incleberg. 111.  "Grange," the country seat of John Murray, jr.
112.  Murray Hill estate. 113. 114.  "Ogden Place farm," partitioned, in 1838, among heirs of William Ogden, formerly part of New York Commons. 115. 116.  Incleburgh.
117. 118. 119. 120.  Estate of Thomas Buchanan. 121.  Casper Smith estate.
122.  Turtle Bay farm, "formerly belonging to the Winthrops, the small cove or bay, called formerly "Deutal Bay," from which the present name is corrupted.  "When the land of the cask was further secured with pegs, they could say the cast was 'ge deutelt.'  The pegs were short, but at the base, boraod; the bay narrow at its entrance, broad at the bottom; the supposed resemblance between the bay and peg, the supposed origin of the name." 123.      

 

 


  • The Researcher's Guide to American Genealogy, by Val D. Greenwood, 2000
  • Evidence! Citation & Analysis for the Family History, by Elizabeth Shown Mills, 1997
  • Genealogy Online for Dummies, by Matthew & April Helm, 1998
  • Research Outline, New York, Family History Library, SLC, Utah
  • New York City, Dept of Records & Information Services website
  • New York State, by Christiane Bird, 2003
  • Gotham, A History of NYC to 1898, Edwin Burrows, Mike Wallace, 1999
  • New Metropolis, New York City 1840-1857, Edward K Spann, 1981
  • A Short & Remarkable History of New York City, James Mushabac, Angela Wigan, 1999
  • The Street Book, An Encyclopedia of Manhattan's Street Names & Their Origins, Henry Moscow, 1978
  • All Around the Town, Amazing Manhattan Facts & Curiosities, Patrick Bunyan, 1999
  • Manhattan Shores, An Expedition Around the Island's Edge, Laura Rosen, 1998
  • The Historical Atlas of New York City, Eric Homberger, 1994
  • Naming New York, Manhattan Places & How They Got Their Name, Sanna Feirstein, 2001
  • The Graveyard Shift, New York City Cemeteries, Carolee Inskeep, 2000
  • History of The City of New York, David T Valentine, 1853

 

 


2001-2006ConnorsGenealogy