St George's Church, Hempstead, New York
by Henry Onderdonk, Jr., 1880

The one shown above is from c. 1734.*

For a current picture of St. George (click here)

To view a map of this area in 1840 (click here)

Erection of a New Church

1734, April 2. John Mott and Thomas Gildersleeve, by order of the town, set apart half an acre for a new church, west of the old one. The carpenter gave the vestry a scantling of timber. Anthony Yelverton, the head workman on the church, had 4s. 6d. a day and found. He boarded at Richard Bedell's. His apprentices had, some 4s., some 2s. per day. Joseph Hall, Sr., worked with the carpenters, at 4s. 3d. a day and found himself. His sons, Joseph, Benjamin and John also assisted.

At first the church was only half pewed; there were eighteen pews, presumably square; No. 1 was given to George Clarke, Secretary to the Governor, who lived at Hyde Park and was a benefactor to the church.

1734 November 1. At a town meeting the majority voted to move the seats out of the old church into the new.


1735. On Tuesday, April 22, His Excellency our Governor, with his lady and family, attended by his son-in-law and lady, Secretary Clarke, Chief Justice Delancey, Rev. Mr. Vesey, some of the clergy, and a great many of the principal merchants and gentlemen and ladies of the city of New York, set out for Hempstead, to be present at the consecration of the church lately erected there. About six miles west of Jamaica, he was met by the troops of horse, who escorted him to Jamaica, where a handsome dinner was provided for all the company. In the afternoon he proceeded to Hempstead, (escorted as before), where he arrived in the evening and was entertained in a very handsome manner by the Rev. Robert Jenney, minister of that place.

The next day, being St. George's Day, the regiment of militia and troop being drawn up on either side, from Mr. Jenney's house to the church. His Excellency, attended by the most considerable gentlemen of the county, walked to the church, where a very excellent sermon was preached on the occasion, before a most crowded audience, by the Rev. Mr. Jenney, from Psalm lxxxlv, 1,2: "How amiable are Thy tabernacles," &c.

After Divine service His Excellency reviewed the regiment of militia and troops standing under arms, and expressed a particular satisfaction on the appearance both of the officers and men. His excellency was afterwards entertained in a splended manner by Colonel Tredwell, commander of the regiment, and in the eveing by Colonel Cornwell, of Rockaway, in the same manner.

The next day the Governor returned, and arrived in town in good health, pleased with the reception he everywhere met with from all ranks, with the extraordinary concourse of people from all parts on the occasion, and with the handsome appearance of the militia, both horse and foot.--- New York Gazette.

A generous collection was made for the church on this occasion. The Governor gave the King's arms, painted and gilded; Secretary Clarke, a crimson damask set of furniture for the communion= table, pulpit and desk; and John Marsh a silver basin for baptism. The Rev. Mr. Vessey and his people had already contributed about 50.

1735, June 27. Name of petitioners for this charter of the church:

Rev. Robert Jenney, Rector.

James AlbertusRobert Marvin
George BaldenJacamiah Mitchell
Gerhardus Clowes, clerkJoseph Mott
of Vestry,Charles Peters
William Cornell, Sr.&Jr.James Pine, Sr.
John Cornell, Jr.John Roe
John CornellMicah Smith
Richard Cornell, Jr.Peter Smith, Jr.
William CornellTimothy Smith
Thomas Cornell, Jr.Peter Smith
Isaac GermonJacob Smith
Thomas GildersleeveJoseph Smith
George GildersleeveSilas Smith
Daniel HewlettRobert Sutton
James HuginsRichard Thorne, Esq.
Joseph LangdonJoseph Thorne, Esq.
William LangdonThomas Williams
Thomas Lee

The Governor, July 23d, presented His Majesty's Royal Charter of Incorporation, by the name of the "Rector and inhabitants of the parish of Hempstead, in communion of the Church of England as by law established."

The material on this page is the courtesy of Jim Pearsall/NJ