January 10, 1890
(1)-SPRINGFIELD-ALPHOZO S. VOORIS, a clerk in the employ of L.E. Decker, died after a brief illness from pneumonia on Sunday, aged 26 years, and on Monday his remains were taken on an evening train to his parents home at Seaford. The Good Templars, of which he was a member, at their weekly meeting Tuesday evening appointed a delegation to attend the funeral, consisting of Rev. John Brian, Charles J. Rutherford, Samuel Mills and Harry Bedell. Suitable resolutions were adopted highly commendatory of the virtues of the departed brother. Besides this he was a member of the Sons of Veterans and belonged to the society of Odd Fellows, in all of which he evinced the greatest interest and activity. He had been in the employ of Mr. Decker for two years and was highly thought of for his social worth, his business probity and success.

(2)-The death of MARSHALL C. DIBBLE occurred last Sunday, in his 74th year. Mr. Dibble had been a resident of this place for many years, coming here from Connecticut in his younger days as a school teacher. He was sidely known in this vicinity and admired for his uprightness and integrity. He had been in feeble condion of mind and body for some time, but died quite suddenly. His death resulted from strangulation, cause by having suffered paralysis of the throat some time since. His funeral took place from St. James M.E. Church on Wednesday and was largely attended.

January 17, 1890
(3)Baldwin: MRS. CHRISTIANA HALLOCK, mother of Mrs. John Glover, died January 17, at her dauther's residence, at the age of 91 years. She came here to visit her daughter some two years ago, was taken suddenly ill, and had been an invalid to the time of her death. The funeral services were held in the M. E. Church at Mattituck, L. I., where she had resided for the last half century or more.

(4)Freeport: We regret to announce the death of MRS. MARTIN T. RAYNORM, a young lady of many amiable qualities, which occurred on Sunday morning, after a brief illnesswith pneumonia. Much sympathy is felt for the bereaved husband and three little children. The funeral was largely attended on Tuesday at the M. E. Church, of which she has been a member for some years.

(5)East Rockaway: MRS. OLIVER LANGDON died on Friday evening after a week's illness with the influenza. Her husband was ill and the babe also, and while they are recovering she is gone. Mrs. Langdon was a daughter of Martin Wright. Much sympathy is felt for the bereaved husband and five little children, the oldest seven years and the youngest eight months. Mr. Langdon had been ill for some time and she was much worn out with waiting on him, so that when she was taken ill herself she had not strength to endure. Mr. Langdon is an Odd Fellow and Rockville Centre Lodge took charge of her funeral on Monday and conducted it in the first-class style.

(6)Pearsalls: The death of MRS. OLIVER WATTS, at the age of 72 years, occurred on Thursday of last week. Mrs. Watts died, after a few days illness from pneumonia. She was a life-long resident of this vicinity, and the mother of seven children, six sons and one daughter, all of whom reside here and are well known. Mrs. Watts funeral took place from the First Methodist Church on Sunday morning and was largely attended.

(7)Rockaway Beach: GARRET V. W. ELDERT, the first man to build a hotel on Rockaway Beach, and who has lived here ever since, died at his home on Sunday morning. He had been ailing for a long time, but an attack of the grip aggravated his complaint and carried him off. Mr. Eldert was twice married. He leaves a wife, two married daughters and a son, Mr. Luke Eldert. He was 66 years of age.

January 31, 1890
(8)Rockville Centre: MRS KEELER-Some months ago Mrs. Mary A. Keeler, of this village, went to a city hospital and had an operation performed for the removal of cancer. She rallied, but the cancer returned and after several week of prostration she died on Sunday last, in her 72d year. Mrs. Keeler was the wdow of the late Matthew M. Keeler, who died in 1870. She was born in St. Louis, Missouri, but for many years her home was at Rockville Centre. She was a lady of superior education and fine abilities. Three sons, Horace, William M. and Pierce L. O. A. Keeler, survive her, and also one daughter.

(9)Freeport: MRS. JAMES K. GOLDEN died on Monday after a brief illness with pneumonia. He was 45 years of age and leaves a widow and eight young children, who have the sincere sympathy of all. Mr. Golden was generally esteemed as a quiet neighbor, a good citizen, and a kind husband and father. He was a veteran of the late war and a member of D. B. P. Mott Post. His health had been seriously broken by army life, and papers were being prepared to apply for a pension, but his sudden taking off will prevent his family from receiving the benefits which an old soldier deserved from a grateful nation. The funeral services were very largely attended at the M. E. Church on Wednesday, the interment being at Greenfield Cemetery. The Grand Army Post attended in a body.

(10)Rockville Centre: BUNKER-The death of MRS. DUMONT BUNKER is peculiarly sad. After a short illness from pneumonia, superinduced by the 'grip,' she died on Saturday last. She leaves a husband and a large family of small childrem, the eldest being a girl in her teens. The deceased lady came to North Rockville Centre but a few years ago, and during her residence here had won the esteem of all with whom she came in contact. Much sympathy is felt for the bereaved husband and family.

(11)Oceanville: STEPHEN PETTIT-We regret to note the death of MR. STEPHEN PETTIT, an old and well know resident of this place. He died on Friday last, having suffered from a cancer of the throat. He leaves a numerous family of sons and one daughter, all residents of this town.

(12)Springfield: EPHRAIM BAYLIS' sickness, mentioned in last week's Observer, resulted in his death last Friday morning. The funeral services were held on Monday afternoon at the Presbyterian Church, which was crowded by a deeply sympathizing congregation. In the pulpit were Rev. C. J. Rutherford and P. D. Oakey, both of whom addressed the audience touching the life and religious character of the deceased. By request the choir sang "Safe in the arms of Jesus," and "Jesus lover of my Soul," these hymns being sung by him while on his sick bed. At the time of his death he was holding the position of Elder, and office to which he was elected when connected with the Presbyterian Church in Jamaica, and at the establishment of the church here was appointed to fill that position, which in all includes about 30 years of service in this calling. Besides this he conducted the store business for a long time now carried on by E. H. Thomson, and during President Hayes' term of office was postmaster of the place, a position which he resigned when entering farming, following this up to the time of his death.

(13)Hempstead: DR. WEBB-On Wednesday of this week DR. EDWIN WEBB, the oldest physician in the town of Hempstead, passed away, after a long and useful life. For many years he was regarded as the leading physician in the town and had a very extensive practice, not only in Hempstead village, but extending all the way from Rockaway to Amityville. He was a man very thoroughly educated and very highly esteemed. Of late years he has not attended to active practice, owing to the frailties of old age. The funeral will take place at St. George's Church on Saturday afternoon.
February 14, 1890-(follow-up) The late Dr. Edwin Webb, it seems died without a will, leaving an estate valued at nearly $200,00. His only heirs are two daughters, Mrs. Elizabeth Moore and Miss Caroline Webb. It is said that the Doctor once had a will prepared ut failed to execute it.

February 07, 1890
(14)Rockaway-We deeply regret this week to note the death of MRS. JOHN J. HEALY, which occurred on Friday last. It is only a short time ago that Mr. Healy was married. He had for many years remained a widower, his children being cared for by friends. Last year when he was remarried and started family life again, his friends were very much pleased and Mr. Healy hoped for a happy future, but this sad blow has crushed his hopes in that respect. There is much sympathy felt for the bereaved gentleman and the family. The funeral services were held at St. Mary's Star of the Sea on Tuesday morning, when high mass was celebrated. The remains were taken by special car, attached to the 12:26 train, to Calvary Cemetery for interment.

February 07, 1890
(15)Smithville South-MR. BETTS, better to this place as the blind man, died at his residence on Friday. His presence will be missed on the street, as he usually occupied the most of his time in walking up and down in front of his property. It is reported that Mr. Betts leaves a considerable amount of wealth.

February 07, 1890
(16)Inwood-MRS. FREEMAN SPRAGUE died on Sunday night after an illness which has been developing for over a year. Mrs. Sprague had attained the age of fifty-seven years, and was much esteemed by her neighbors in general. The funeral services were held in the Lawrence M. E. Church on Wednesday, the Rev. Mr. Gillies officiating. Resting on the beautiful casket was an case of wheat, upo which was a sickle bearing the words "mother at rest." The deceased leaves a husband and six children-four sons and two daughters-all married. She was a devout Christian, good neighbor and friend. None could pass from time to eternity with a purer record of life than that wich she leaves, and it is said her going was as peaceful as has been her life.

February 14, 1890
(17)Far Rockaway: MR. JAMES McGUIRL died of pneumonia on Sunday morning, aged fifty-six years. The funeral took place on Tuesday at St. Mary's Star of the Sea, Rev. Father Carroll, of Brooklyn, assisted by Fathers Wood, McCaffrey, McGuirl and Gubean officiating. Father Zimmer being too ill to attend. The remains were interred in the Catholic Cemetery at Lawrence. Mr. McGuirl came here twenty-two years ago and had been in business here since 1881. He was generally esteemed for his manly qualities; was a good neighbor, a firm friend, a generous foe. A wife and five children-two sons and three daughters- survive him. His son William is a curate, now filling the pulpit of St. Joseph's Church of Brooklyn, Delegations from the Sacred Heart and the Holy Name of St. Joseph's Church were present at the funeral services. Among the attendants were the following priests: Rev. Frs. Carroll, Loftus, Montevenle, O'Runke, Woods, Gouleand, Maguire and Caffrey, of Brooklyn, McEnvoe, of Glen Cove, Clancy, of Jersey City, Connel, of Rockaway Beach, and Maguire of Hewletts.

February 28, 1890
(18) Freeport- MRS. SPRAGUE- We regret to note this week the death of MRS. ABBY J. SPRAGUE, wife of S. Foster Sprague, of this village, which occurred yesterday morning. She had been suffering from pneumonia for a week past, but on Wedneday it was thought she was improving. She was taken worse in the evening, however, and continued sinking until soon after midnight when she passed away. Mrs. Sprague was a daughter of Elbert Cox of this village.

March 7, 1890
(19)Hempstead-MR. HENRY HENTZ, one of the oldest residents of the village, died on Saturday morning after a long illness. He was a man of simple fortune and had been in various lines of business in his long career. At one time he kept a hotel and afterwards ran a tailoring establishment. He commenced the publication of the Sentinel when it was established about 8 1/2 years ago. His funeral was held on Monday afternoon at St. George's Episcopal Church.

March 14, 1890
(20) Rockville Centre, CLINTON F. COMBES died at his residence on Lincoln Ave. in this villge on Tuesday. His death was comparatively sudden, although he had been in feeble health for several years. The serious conditions immediately preceding his demise were of less than forty eight housr duration. He complained of feelin ill on Sunday, and a few hours afterward lapsed into a state of coma from which he never rallied, passing painlessly away at five o'clock Tuesday morning. His was the life of one noted for uprightness, integrity and devotion to moral principles. Had Mr. Combes lived until the 25th of this month he would have been 70 years of age. He was a native of this place, having been born on the farm now occupied by his brother, Mr. William K. Combes, about a mile north of this village. Mr. Combes was a self-made man, and a generation ago probably no man was better known than he. He acquired the rudiments of his early education at such schools as this neighborhood afforded, and after teaching for awhile he entered and was graduated from the State Normal School at Albany. He then resumed teaching and continued at it until compelled by ill health to take a respite, when he took up civil engineering, which profession he followed for a period. During this time he surveyed the route of the Merrick and Jamaica Plank Road. Later on he turned his attention to mercantile pursuits and to the building and running of vessels, having at one time several engaged in the freighting trade. At this time he also carried on general store business at East Rockaway, which he removed to this village about twenty-four years ago and continued to conduct until succeeded by his son, Mr. G. D. Combes. Although always feeling a deep interest in political affairs Mr. Combes was no seeker for office. He was postmaster of this place for over twenty years; with that exception the only public office he ever held was that of Superintendent of Schools of the town of Hempstead, a position for which he was eminently qualified. In 1848 Mr. Combes married Miss Susan Davison, of East Rockaway, daughter of the late Alexander Davison. She survives him as also do three sons and two daughters. One of the daughters is Mrs. Charles W. Cornwell, of this village, the other is Mrs. Estella Swan, widow of the late Manice Swan, of Brooklyn. One of his sons is Mr. G. D. Combes, the well known merchant of this village. The other two are both young physicians, who have attained considerable prominence in the medical profession-Dr. Rodney C. F. Combes, Woodhave, L. I., and Dr. Abbott C. Combes, of Newtown, L.I. Dr. Abbott Combes is now in Paris, France and consequently could not be present at the funeral of his father. Mr. Combes' funeral took place from his late residence on Thursday afternoon. Rev. E. Warriner conducted the ceremonies. The pall bearers were John Smith, J. V. D. W. Turner, St. John Thornton, Wm. H. Pearsall, Joseph B. Langdon, Peter VanDine. The interment was at Rockville Cemetery.

March 21, 1890
(21)Woodsburgh- MR. SHEPHEN COMBS died of consumption on Thursday last. A wife and several children survive him. The funeral took place at the M.E. Church on Sunday and the interment was in Trinity cemetery.

APRIL 4, 1890
(22) WOODSBURGH-HOMER NORTON only son of Mr. J. L. B. Norton, died of hasty consumption on Thursday, aged twenty years. The funeral servies were held in Trinity Church on Saturday. His sickness dated from the time the fruit steamer ran ashore on Long Beach. He rowed across the bay from the beach against a strong wind, over exerting himself and catching a heavy cold, which developed into consumption. Mr. Norton's family have the sympathy of their neighbors and friends in their affliction.

April 18, 1890
(23)Freeport- MARY BEDELL- On Thursday last Mrs. Mary Bedell, wife of Jesse Bedell of this place, died after a lingering illness, in her 71st year. The funeral was largely attended at the M. E. Church on Sunday. On Monday afternoon Mr. Bedell died, quite suddenly, although he had not been well for several years. He was in his 77th year. The departed couple were well known and highly esteemed by a large circle of relatives and friends. They resided when first married at Baldwins, then for several years at Bellmore and for several years at Rockville Centre, coming to Freeport in 1888 to reside with their only daughter, Mrs. Davison. Two sons also survive them Franklin Bedell, a merchant in this village and Henry T. Bedell, who moved to Nebraska some years ago. One son was killed in the War for the Union. The venerable couple were lovely in their lives and in death were not divided. For 35 years they had been members of the Methodist Church.

APRIL 25, 1890
(24) Freeport-GOLDER-Much sorrow has been occasioned in the village by the death of Miss Lida Golder, who died on Friday last after an attack of hasty consumption. She was a bright and charming girl and had hosts of friends, who greatly mourn her untimely demise just in the morning of her life, having almost reached her 21st birthday. The funeral was very largely attended on Sunday at the M. E. Church, the building being much too small to accommodate those present. The OBSERVER joins others in tendering its warm sympathy to the bereaved parents, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Golder, and a large number of brothers and sisters and other relatives.

July 4, 1890
(25)Ridgewood-The death of WILLET WHITMORE occurred on Sunday morning, aged about 58 years. He will be greatly missed in this community, where he had been an active figure for 30 years. He was station agent at Ridgewood or Bellmore almost ever since the South Side Railroad was built, and he had been Post Master here for fourteen years. For the past fifteen years he conducted a general country store here. In town politics he was quite active some years ago, having been Collector and Overseer of the Poor. A widow, one son, and two daughters survive him. The funeral was largely attended on Tuesday.

July 11, 1890
(26)Drowning Accident-A sad drowning accident occurred here on Monday afternoon. JOHN, the six-year-old son of Leonard HOLMES, while fishing and playing with some other small boys about the culvert that passes under the turnpike at the conduit crossing, just west of the village, fell in a deep hole at the end of the pipe and was drowned. His companions rushed to the village and gave the alarm. Several men went to the scene and took the boy from the water. Apparently a spark of life existed, but an hour and a half of unceasing effort failed to resuscitate him. Cornoner Horton was notified and empanelled a jury who viewed the remains and adjourned until Tuesday eveing, when the inquest was held.

July 18, 1890
(27)Hicks-Cedarhurst-Sarah E., wife of John A. Hicks, died of cancer of the stomach on Monday night. She had been in poor health for some time. The funeral took place on Thursday at Trinity Church, Woodsburgh, Rev. T. W. Martin officiating.











The information on these pages may not be copied, except for individual researchers. They may not be copied and put on another webpage or compiled and sold. Transcribed and edited by ©Linda Pearsall Harvey