Town of Portage - 1827
Livingston County, New York
You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] visitor, since 11/03/97.
|Col. Williams||1874||north section of town, on Short Tract Rd., near Williams Road.||+5|
|Hunts Hollow||----||just west of Hunts Hollow, on Rte.70.||----|
|Pennycook||----||south side of Bailey Rd. about 1/2 mile west of Pennycook Rd.||----|
|Oakland||----||close to Nunda town border, near corner of Parker and Stone Roads.||----|
TOWN CLERK : Esther Howe, Portage Town Clerk, Hunt, NY 14846
TOWN HISTORIAN : Lorraine Rocker, 1283 Thompson Rd, Hunt, NY 14846
(Please Note: All the books marked with an asterisk are available through the Nunda Historical Society. See NundaHistory.org for ordering information.)
Hunts Baptist Church, South Church St., Hunt, NY 14846 (585) 476-2486.
Oakland Wesleyan Church, 1519 Portage Roadt., Nunda, NY 14517 (585) 468-2389.
LINKSNunda Historical Society
Updates provided by Tom Cook, Nunda Historical Society, 2011.
[PORTAGE] Name derived from the portage or carrying place around the falls of the Genesee River. (back)
[in 1810.] Ephraim Kingsley and Seth Sherwood settled oon Lot 169 in 1811; Joseph Dixon, above Portageville. Col. Geo. Williams, Russell Messenger, and Sanford Hunt all settled about 1814. Horace Miller taught the first school, in 1817, The first inn was kept by Prosper Adams, in 1817; and the first store, at Hunts Hollow, by Sanford Hunt, in 1818. Russell Messenger built the first sawmill, in 1816, and the first gristmill, in 1817 (back)
[about 1820.] There are 4 churches in town; Presb., Meth.Prot., Prot.E., and Bap. (back)
© Copyright Livingston County, New York GenWeb