A VON---was formed, as
"Hartford," in Jan. 1789. Its name was
changed in 1808. Rush (Monroe Co., NY) was taken off in 1818.
It is the center town upon the N. border of the co. Its
surface is rolling and moderately hilly upland, terminating
in flats on the Genesee River. Deming Hill, on Lot 192, is
the highest point in the town. The principal stream is
Conesus Creek, or Outlet, a tributary of the Genesee River.
The soil upon the uplands is sandy and gravelly loam
intermixed with clay, and on the flats, a deep, rich
alluvium. Avon, (p.v.) in the w. part, a station on
the G. V., and B., N.Y. & E. R.R.'s., celebrated for its medicinal springs , was incorp. June
13, 1853. It contains 3 churches, 5 large hotels, and 879
inhabitants. East Avon, (p.v.) near the center,
contains 2 churches and about 35 houses. South Avon,
(p.o.) in the S. part, contains 9 houses. Littleville,
1 1/2 mi. S. of Avon, contains a church,
gristmill, furnace, and 23 houses. The first settlement was
made in 1785 . The first church (Presb.)
was organized in 1795; Rev. Daniel Thatcher was the first
preacher. There are 6 churches in town .
Town of Avon - 1789
Livingston County, New York
||North of the village square.
||Southwest corner of town, on Bronson Hill Rd.
||In East Avon, just south of four corners on
||South of village on Pole Bridge Rd, near Agar and
||South of village off Littleville Rd., adjacent to
||South end of Avon village, on Linden Street.
||South of Avon village on Rte 39 to Geneseo
: Town Hall Offices, Opera Block Building, 23 Genesee St.,
Avon, NY 14414
: Maureen Kingston, 585-226-2425, Avon Historical
, office hours:
Tuesdays 2-6 pm. eMail: email@example.com
LIBRARY Avon Free Library
, 143 Genesee
St., Avon, NY.
- Doty, Lockwood R., A History of
Livingston County, New York , Geneseo,NY,
E.E. Doty, 1876.
- Doty, Lockwood R., History of the
Genesee Country , Chicago, S.J. Clark
Publishing Co., 1925.
- Hatch, Alden, The Wadsworths of
Geneseo , New York, Coward McCann,
- Preston, Marie, Avon, Heart of
the Genesee Country , Avon, Avon
Herald-News, Inc., 1958.
- Smith, James H., History of Livingston
County, New York , Syracuse,NY, D.Mason
& Co., 1881.
Avon Preservation and Historical , 74
Genesee Street, Avon (585) 226-8118.
American Legion , Joseph Gallipeau Post
294, Box 132, Avon
Veterans of Foreign Wars , Avon Post
No.5292, 74 Genesee Street, Avon
Avon United Methodist , 130 Genesee
Street, Avon, NY 14414 (585)226-8600
Avon Wesleyan Church , 300 Genesee
Street, Avon (585)226-3577
Central Presbyterian Church , Genesee
Street, Avon (585)226-2626
First Presbyterian Church , 5605
Avon-Lima Rd, Avon (585)226-6460
Lutheran Church of the Epiphany , 6050
Avon-Lima Rd, Avon (585)226-2200
New Horizon Christian Fellowship , 2219
Bronson Hill Rd., Avon (585)226-2845
St.Agnes Catholic Church , 108 Prospect
Street, Avon (585)226-3232
Zion Episcopal Church , 10 Park Place,
[medicinal springs] These springs-two in
number and about one-fourth of a mile apart- are
located about 1 mile S.W. of the village. The lower
spring discharges about 54 gallons of water per
minute. The quantity of water from both srpings
continues about the same during the year. Several
large hotels have been erected for the accommodation
of vistors, large numbers of whom visit the springs
annually. ( back )
[in 1785] Among the early settlers were
Gilbert R. Berry, at the river, W. of Avon Village,
and Timothy Hosmer at Littleville, Capt.Thompson, and
Mr. Rice in 1789. Giblert R. Berry kept the first
inn, and established the first ferry across the
Genesee River, in 1789. The first sawmill was built
by Timothy Hosmer, at Littleville, in 1790, and the
first gristmill by the Wadsworths, in 1792. The first
school was kept by Pedie Jonier, at Avon in 1792. ( back )
[churches in town] 2 M.E., Prot. E., Bap.,
Presb., and R.C. ( back )
Livingston County, New York GenWeb
Return to Livingston County GenWeb Homepage