Obituaries from the Greene County Whig 1849

Obituaries from the
Greene County Whig

In 1849 the newspaper the Catskill Messenger was changed to the Greene County Whig. This newspaper ran until 1857 when the name was again changed to the Catskill Examiner. Trowbridge and Gunn, Editors and Proprietors.

wpe1.jpg (45333 bytes)

Transcribed from the original newspaper, located at the Vedder Memorial Library by Sylvia Hasenkopf.

November 3, 1849
Died after a very lingering illness early on Saturday morning, October 27th in the 39th year of her age, Mrs. Delia Adams, wife of Sherman Croswell Esq. one of the editors of the Albany Argus and daughter of John Adams, Esq. of Catskill.

November 24, 1849
Died at Newark, New Jersey, July 30, Moses S. Ingersoll, son of the late Dea. John C. Ingersoll of Austerlitz, New York, aged 31 years and on the 10th of August Sarah Elizabeth, only daughter of Moses S. and Sarah A. Ingersoll, aged 13 months.

December 1, 1849
No obituaries

December 8, 1849
No obituaries

December 15, 1849
Died in Jefferson, on the 10th inst. in the 88th year of her age, Mrs. Margery Hallenbeck, esteemed by a large circle of friends and relatives, who knew her worth and loved her company.

Mrs. Hallenbeck was born in the beautiful valley of Strathspey, Scotland, famous in song and warlike story: the seat of the Grants, a martial clan of great power. Only sixteen years before the Highlands of Scotland witnessed the rising of the clans in behalf of " Charlie Stewart;" and the unfortunate battle of Colloden, had not yet been forgotten by the Grants, who like the rest were doomed to disgrace, in losing their national dress and language. It was then that so many sought the shores of America, and scattered along the banks of the Hudson and the Mohawk. Margarey's parents suffered like the rest and came hither in 1770. The father dying on the passage, the widow and orphan had a wild wilderness before them, but with the characteristic courage of the true highlander, they all rose above these trials, and became honored and esteemed for their industry and moral worth.

Margery Grant came to Catskill in her 18th year, and has consequently known the place seventy years. Here, and in the city of New York, she has spent her life; and amidst trials of no common order, she has always been the same quiet, self-possessed member of the community, that she remained to be, to the last. Her piety was unobtrusive, her knowledge was sufficient, and her independence of mind made her respected; always well-dressed, always welcomed, always cheerful.

One of her chief pleasures was to speak of the progress of New York City; which she loved for what if had been. Yearly might she be seen, up till 1848, walking through the different parts of of that emporium of nations, a relic of former days, musing upon the changes of time since she first landed in girlhood. She was wont to tell of her standing in the battery the morning that Independence was first declared in that city, nor did she fail afterwards to dress herself in her best attire and keep that holiday. Her reminiscences of our own village were interesting. There were but three houses on the east side of the creek, and the fourth - Judge Abeel's - was just building at the Ferry. Trees grew where the Jail and Court House now stand, and corn waved where Main Street now runs. The ruins of the old Indian fortress still stood on Jefferson Hill, then called Castil Hochten by the Dutch, and the wigwams of the red man were all around the flatts, on the very spot where she lately died. --She knew the beginnings of all the chief families now living , and of many now extinct. They rose, flourished, and died, and are now forgotten. Such is this mortal life. One here and there, like this venerable nation, reads as a lesson from the past, but the greater number are like the butterflies of summer months. -- One grave-yard, now so crowded with the one living, did not contain a single grain of human dust, till Mrs. Hallenbeck was 40 years old. That village of the dead has received since then, generations from this of the living. 

December 22. 1849
No obituaries

December 29, 1849
Died on Monday December 24, at Jersey City, of disease of the heart, Frances, wife of Alfred N. Nearing and daughter of Thomas Thomas of New York.

January 1850 - March 15, 1851
Issues missing

March 22, 1851
Died on the 19th inst. at the residence of her father, in Greenville, Greene Co, Almira F. Wakeley, aged 19 years. 

At Harsimus, NJ on the 16th inst. of nervous debility, Mrs. Van Steenbergh, in the 60th year of her age. 

March 29, 1851
No obituaries

April 1851 – November 1851
Issues missing

December 6, 1851
No obituaries

December 13, 1851 – December 27, 1851
Issues missing

January 3, 1852
No obituaries

January 10, 1852
No obituaries

January 17, 1852
No obituaries

January 24, 1852
No obituaries

January 31, 1852
No obituaries

February 7, 1852
Died at his residence in the Town of Catskill, in the 27th day of January last Elnathan T. Gaylord, long and favorably known as one of our most respected and valued citizens. 

In the death of Mr. Gaylord an affectionate family have been deprived of a fond and devoted parent, and society mourns the loss of one of its most useful members. The life of Mr. Gaylord was one of quiet unobtrusive, usefulness, and when such a man drops into the grave, we are for the first made aware of his worth, and society’s loss.

Death of Abram France – France who was stabbed by Plass at Wilbur on Tuesday night of last week, died on the Wednesday evening following, or in about 24 hours from the time of receiving the wounds. Examinations have been made by surgeons and the necessary legal steps for the trial of Plass have been taken by the authorities.

France was 27 years of age and leaves a wife and three children, in circumstances of extreme poverty. The people of Wilbur have shown much sympathy for their destitute condition and they have been amply cared for. Plass is some 50 years of age, and he too has a wife and several children in utter destitution. The family were sent by the authorities to the county poor-house.

The Late Col. Wm. Edwards – from the New York Evangelist
On the 29th December, 1851, departed this life at Brooklyn, N.Y. in the midst of an affectionate and beloved family, William Edwards, aged 81. His career has been so active and useful, and his reputation so extensive, that a brief sketch of his parentage and life will be received by many kindred and friends with unusual satisfaction.

Co. Edwards was born at Elizabethtown, N.J., November 11th, 1770. His father, Timothy Edwards, Esq., was the sixth child and first son of the Rev. Jonathan Edwards, the reknowned metaphysical writer. He mother was Rhoda Ogden, daughter of Robert Ogden, Esq. – While an infant, the subject of this memoir was taken to Stockbridge, Mass., to which place his parents moved, and where they ended their days. The incident most strongly impressed upon his infantic mind, as he recently stated, was the surprise he felt as seeing his pious father, one Sabbath morning, take down his gun, step into the middle of the road, and join Deacon Nash and Esq. Woodbridge in firing three volleys, on the reception of the news of the battle of Lexington. This was the original signal that had been agreed upon, should intelligence of the war arrive from Boston. His attention was soon drawn to the assembling of the people in the piazza of his father’s house, where prayer was offered on the occasion, by the Rev. Dr. West; and to the march of the soldiers to the head quarters of the American army at Cambridge. Cradled and nurtured amidst the exciting scenes and events of the Revolution, and the absorbing occurrences that ensued, he dwelt upon them in after life, with patriotic enthusiasm.

At the age of fourteen he was apprenticed to his uncle, Col. Matthias Ogden, of Elizabethtown, N.J., who carried on the tanning business. Here he lived until the age of 20, with the exception of about two years, during which period he worked on his father’s farm, at Stockbridge. During this time, he was mustered as a soldier in Massachusetts, in the force raised to quell what was called Shay’s rebellion. Before completing his minority, he located himself at Northampton, Mass., among the relatives of his venerable grandfather, where he pursued his trade. On his birthday, 1793, he married Rebecca Tappan, daughter of Richard Tappan, Esq. He carried on business extensively engaged in the affairs of the town and State with ardor, and was highly esteemed as a “liberal, public spirited and efficient citizen.” Here also, with his ever affectionate and faithful companion, he raised a family of ten children, eight of whom survive him and bless his memory.

During the war of 1812 with England, Col. Edwards, as the commander of the Massachusetts regiment of artillery, was encamped with regiment of artillery, was encamped with regiment near Dorchester Heights, as part of the Army assembled for the defence (sic) of Boston. Several disastrous fires, and other untoward circumstances having occasioned embarrassment in his business, he removed in 1817 with his family to Hunter, Greene Co, N.Y., where he resumed his trade. He resided there until 1843, carrying on his business extensively. He had made various improvements in Tanning in Massachusetts. First – by laying down tight trucks or bored logs underneath his vats, to carry of the spent liquor. Second – Leeches above ground, placed one shove the other to increase the strength of the liquor. Third – “____” to extract the “___” with more dispatch and more effectually, ---Hide mills to soften the dry hides, and Fifth – Rolling machine to settle down and smooth off the surface, in place of the lap stone, all of which are in general use at the present day. Those improvements are a lasting monument, more enduring than marble, which some of the trade have now proposed to erect to his memory. These were acknowledged by numerous persons in different parts of the country, among whom was the late Hon. Gideon Lee, formerly Mayor of the city of New York, an early friend and associate of Col. Edwards in the leather business, who in a public address stated, “the benefits arising from the vast improvements of Col. Edwards , are to the nation as millions, but to his own coffers, comparatively as units.”

On his removal to Hunter, on the Catskill Mountains, he found it a newly settled region. There was no church, no church edifice, the Sabbath was but little regarded and there were very few religious privileges. Having made a public profession of religion while a resident in Massachusetts, he commenced a Lord’s day service in his new location, unassisted, in the boarding-house, and afterwards in a loft of his tannery, where his workmen and their families, with his own, assembled statedly to hear a sermon read, with prayers and singing. In due time a church was organized in this loft, which was occupied many years as a place of worship: At length a convenient church edifice was erected and a minister settled. For about twenty-five years Col. E. was an Elder in the Presbyterian Church of Hunter, and twice appointed a Commissioner to the General Assembly. In 1843 he relinquished his business and removed to New York, to pass the evening days with his children in and near that city. Whilst a worshipper at the Bleecker street church, he devoted much of his time to active Christian duties. Altho’h 73 years of age, he had a class of young men in the Sabbath school connected with Dr. Mason’s church. One of them is now a pastor of a church in Massachusetts, while another, on uniting with the church in Bleeker street, stated that his interest in religion took place under the faithful instruction of Col. E. A gentleman somewhat distinguished as a teacher of youth, he stated that the friendly counsel and aid of Col. E. first directed his attention to literature and the ministry. – Doubtless many others will attribute their salvation, under God, to his pious advice, entreaties and prayers. For the last six years, he resided in Brooklyn, Long Island. As a tract distributor, in both cities, he was faithful and persevering while his strength lasted. He failed not to admonish the swearer, the Sabbath-breaker and other transgressors, as he had opportunity, and sometimes received their thanks for his kindness and fidelity.

Col. E. was early impressed with the evils attending the use of intoxicating drinks. Previous to 1820, having from 50 to 100 laborers in his business, he offered extra wages to those who would refrain from requiring spirit-rations, then almost universally given to workmen by their employers. He then made a rule to employ only those who habitually refrained from its use, and who would agree to attend regularly upon some Sabbath service. With his accustomed particularity, he had a blank form printed, in which these conditions were incorporated, to be filled up and signed by every workman employed. The result was that by the blessing of God, a quiet and respectable community was gathered around him, in place of one of different character, and many individuals who came to reside at the place, with a view to break up old habits of intemperance, were there reformed. In the course of a few years, no ardent spirits were sold within a mile of his location.

Strict integrity was a prominent characteristic of the deceased. At one period, after a succession of misfortunes, he was, by due course of law, discharged from legal liabilities; yet he afterwards devoted many years to laborious bisiness (sic), not only to support his family, but to realize the means of distributing his hard earned gains among his former creditors. His efforts were, by the blessing of Providence, crowned with success, and he had the satisfaction of dividing among them upwards of twenty thousand dollars and receiving evidences of their appreciation of his honorable conduct.

In his day, Col. E. was quite an active politician, and his interest in the politics of his own country and those of the world, continued with little abatement to the close of life. At the last annual State election, in November last, he attended at the polls, and deposited his ballot for the sixty-first time, without having missed a single year since the age of twenty-one.

He had a deep reverence for the institutions of religion, and for the faithful who minister at God’s altar. He was fond of reading, was a friend of education, and a lover of hospitality. He was especially condescending to the young, and manifested much interest for their intellectual, moral, and religious improvement.

He was the unwavering friend of young mechanics, and prized the various benevolent institutions of the age. He was a most attentive and loving husband, an affectionate and devoted father, a kind neighbor, a faithful friend, a consistent patriot, and a Christian gentleman. He had a large heart. All who knew him revered and loved him.

His health had been gradually declining, and during his last illness, he was confined to his house but a few days. A day or two before his removal from this life, he remarked that he was surprised that any Christian feared death, as it was only the removal from one apartment of God’s house to another.

The funeral services were performed by the pastors of the churches with which he and his children connected.

He was senior member of the church of the Pilgrims, of which Rev. R.S. Storrs is pastor. The honored remains were deposited at Greenwood cemetery on the morning of New Year’s day. “Let me die the death of the righteous, and let my last end be like this.”

February 14, 1852
Died in this village February 6th, Mrs. Catherine Gideons, aged 74 years

Died - At the house of his father, James W. Elting, in Leeds, Greene Co, NY of consumption, Theodore F. Elting in the 23d year of his age. The deceased from infancy was characterized by unusual amiability of disposition, respectful deportment towards superiors, and cheerful obedience to his parents. At an early period of his sickness he relinquished all hopes of recovery and seriously and steadily applied himself to the work of preparation for the great change awaiting him. Having obtained a hope of salvation through Jesus Christ, he wished to give public expression to that hope, which he did a short time before his death by making confession of his faith and uniting with the Reformed Dutch Church of Leeds. By this faith he was sustained during the lingering days of pain through which he passed, and was enabled calmly and fearlessly to meet the approach of death. His sorrowing parents and friends are consoled by the comforting assurance that they in sadness are mourning their present loss, he with rejoicing has entered upon a blessed immortality.

February 21, 1852
Death of Horatio B. Gates, Esq. – This highly esteemed gentleman departed this life on Saturday last, at his residence at Buffalo, after a short illness, leaving a large family and circle of friends to mourn his loss. Some two and three weeks since, Mr. Gates, while examining a load of wood which he was about purchasing, slipped from the wagon, scratching his leg slightly. No notice was taken of the wound for several days, nor until it became painful and compelled him to take to his bed. His leg continued to swell until death eased him of his pains.

Mr. Gates was Editor of the Catskill recorder, for several years and has written several works on Education. He has been for the past five or six years Principal of Public School No. 12 in the City of Buffalo and for many years editorially connected with the press of that city. He was a gentleman of fine literacy acquirements, highly esteemed in all the relations of life, and leaves a family and many friends who will long cherish his memory and bedew his grave with the tears of affection and friendship. Alb. Even. Jour.

February 28, 1852
No obituaries

March 6, 1852
Death of Hugh M. Taylor – this gentleman died on Monday last. He was well known throughout the county, and in this vicinity and his death will be regretted by many warm friends – For some time past he had been gradually sinking under a declining state of health; yet his death was sudden. . His funeral was attended by the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and a large number of our citizens.

Died in Troy on the 25th inst. of consumption, Hezekiah Thayer, ages 86 years and 4 months, formerly of this village.

March 13, 1852
Coroner’s Inquest
At a Cornoner’s Inquest held at the Greene County Poor House, in the town of Cairo, Greene county, on the 5th day of March 1852 before Wm. Telfair Esquire, one of the coroners of the said county, to investigate and report the cause and reason of the death of Rebecca Southard, an inmate of the said Poor House, who was found dead in a cell  of said Poor House on the 4th day of March inst. – The following persons were duly sworn by the said coroner, as jurors for said investigation, viz: Joseph H. Bowman, Francis C. Prout, Lucius D. Hill, John B. Huxford, George K. Porter, Richard Hill, William Chidester, Christopher L. Kiersted, Joel Wickes, John S. Betts, Thos. Cornwall, Chas. Harvey, Stephen Tryon, George Mayo, John H. Person, Ezra M. Stevens. And the aforesaid jurors, after hearing the proofs offered before them touching the cause and reason of the death of the said Rebecca Southard, do on their oaths say they find that the said Rebecca Southard, deceased, was an invalid, subject to chorea sante vitae, confined in one of the cells, of the Greene County Poor House for 5 or 6 weeks back, and that she came to her death sometime in the night of the 3d day of March 1852, in consequence of the cold in her cell, and of a want of sufficient clothing, bedding, and proper care and attention.

J.H. Bowman, Foreman          
George K. Porter
Francis C. Prout
Richard Hill
Wm. Chidester
John B. Huxford
John S. Betts
Thomas Cornwall
C.L. Kiersted
Charles Harvey
Joel Wickes
Stephen Tryon
George Mayo
John H. Person
Ezra M. Stevens
Wm. Telfair, G., Coroner

Died - At the residence of his father, in this village, on the 8th inst., Charles Hopkins, late of New York City, but formerly a resident here. The deceased was well and favorably known among us, for his many amiable and social qualities. Warm hearted in the cause of his friends, liberal in all demands upon his purse, of easy address and winning manners; he will be universally missed among us, and of him it could well be said, "We could have better spared a better man."

March 20, 1852
Died - At Holley, Oakland Co, MI on the 28th February, Mr. Adonijah Baker in the 75th year of his age.

March 27, 1852
Died at New York on the 11th of March, William Coulson of the Barclay Street Hotel, formerly of Athens, in this county.

April 3, 1852
No obituaries

April 10, 1852
No obituaries

April 17, 1852
No obituaries

April 24, 1852
We find the following records in the Prattsville Advocat:

On Saturday last a man by the name of George Ellarson aged about 50 years, called at the house of Ebenezer Belnap, Esq. in Windham Center and passed the night. He complained in the course of the evening of being somewhat unwell, but nothing serious was apprehended and he retired to rest at the usual hour. He arose from is bed in the course of the night and passed down from the chamber to the bar-room. – When the family arose in the morning, he was sitting in a chair, apparently asleep. They spoke to him but received no answer, he was dead.

Died - On the 14th inst. Mr. Milo Wears of Ashland, a man about 35 years of age, in the full vigor of health, with the exception of a cold. While walking from the barn to the house, was seized with a fit of coughing, ruptured a blood vessel and died almost instantly.

April 31, 1852
Died in this village on 22nd inst. Sarah, d/o Stephen Jones aged 20y

May 8, 1852
No obituaries

May 15, 1852
Died at Ann Arbor, Mich., May 1st of inflammation of the brain, Mary F., d/o Moses and Mary Washburn and w/o Samuel Sykes aged 25y

May 22, 1852
No obituaries

May 29, 1852
Death of Judge Van Bergen – Anthony M. Van Bergen of Coxsackie expired between the hours of 8 and 10 on Sunday evening last. The suddenness of his death reminds us with great truthfulness that, “in the midst of life we are in death.” He was taken ill about 7 o’clock A.M. while preparing to attend divine service, and continued in great distress until the time of his death. 

Judge Van Bergen has for many years occupied an honorable position in public and private life, and leaves a large circle of friends to mourn his loss. He was in the 65th year of his age. 

June 5, 1852
Died in this village on the 3rd inst. A. Bogardus Sellick.

Drowned – a young man named Arthur W. Blanchard, a native of England, and a baker by trade, was drowned at the mouth of the Creek, on Sunday morning last, by the upsetting of a small boat – There were two men in the boat, but the other clung to the bottom until the assistance was rendered. The drowned person was twenty-one years of age, quiet and inoffensive. He had no relatives in the country.

June 12, 1852
Died in this village on the 6th inst. at the residence of his son, H.T. Becker, Thomas Becker, in the 78th year of his age, after a long and lingering illness, which he endured with Christian fortitude and resignation.

Died - At Prattsville on the 24th inst. Mrs. Eliza, wife of Peter A. Bell, in the 30th year of his age, of consumption.

Died - At Leeds May 30th Sarah Stoughtenbergh, wife of Jacob M. Plank, aged 53 years. The deceased whose death her family and a large circle of friends, mourn and society of which she was a bright ornament, and the church of which she was an active and efficient member, feel a loss no easily repaired, and their loss is his eternal gain. The poor in her have lost a kind and sympathizing friend, and one whose heart and hands were always ready to sympathise with and afford and to them in all their necessities. At the bedside of the sick it was her delight to console and to administer both temporal and spiritual consolation – a heart to devise and a will and perserverance to carry into practice all that which her willing hands found to do. For a period of 17 years she was a great sufferer in body, but her mind stayed in perfect peace, knowing in whom she had believed. Her long and protracted illness she bore with Christian fortitude and resignation, relying upon the promise, “my grave is sufficient for thee.” Her life was useful – he death was heavenly – and her end is peace.

June 19, 1852
Died in this village on the 11th inst. Russell Overbaugh, s/o Mr. Addison Overbaugh, in the 6th year of his age.

June 26, 1852
Died on the 10th inst., Lucinda, w/o James Scott, aged 28y. In sweet resignation to the will of her Heavenly Father, she bid adieu to all the tender relations of earth, sustained by the assurance that “they who steep in Jesus will God bring with him.” 

Died - In this town, on Monday the 14th inst. Martha Augusta, only child of James A. and Emily Austin of Jersey City, in the 15th year of her age.

July 3, 1852
No obituaries

July 10, 1852
Died on Friday morning July 9, Mr. James Plank, aged 25 years, the funeral will take place on Sunday aft., at 5 o’clock at the house of his father.

July 17, 1852
Egbert Bogardus died in this village on Wednesday last, the 7th inst. in the 71st year of his age. His long residence in this town, his many estimable qualities, the responsible yet humble position which he occupied and his unwavering fidelity, and secret integrity, had rendered him well beloved by all who were acquainted with him in his social relations and public capacity. For nearly half a century he had discharged the duties of the office of collector of this Town in a manner which gained for him the unlimited confidence of his fellow men. During his long term of public service he never allowed the shadow of an error to creep into his official dealings. Could there be a more powerful illustration of his undeviating integrity, than the acts of so long a term?  In Egbert Bogardus there was not much of greatness in the world’s way of thinking; but in all that constitutes a true Christian, a good citizen, and a man, he was far superior to those whose claims to eminence were greater than his, the sweet charities of his hand, trivial though they might appear, dropped down like blessings upon their objects, the warm generosity of his heart,

Seeking its objects in every-day life, displayed a true nobility of soul which might diadem any Christian; the meek humility which shone out in the light of his countenance, bespoke a radiance clearer and brighter than the flashings of earthly gems.

But it is not for us to write his eulogy. That is already written upon the hearts of our citizens. It is for us briefly to chronicle the passing away of a pure and unsullied spirit - a true christian and a man high in nobleness. Egbert Bogardus is dead, and we can say in the language of the poet, beautifully and truly:

"I saw an aged man upon his bier,
His hair was thin and white, and on his brow
A record of the cares pf many a year; -
Cares that were ended and forgotten now.
And there was sadness round, and faces bowed, 
And woman's tears fell fast, and children wailed aloud.

Then rose another heary man and said, 
In faltering accents, to that weeping train, 
"Why mourn ye that our aged friend is dead
Ye are not sad to see the gathered rain, 
Nor when their mellow fruit the orchards cast,
Nor when the yellow woods shake down the ripened mast.

"Ye sigh not when the sun, his course fulfilled,
His glorious course, rejoicing earth and sky,
In the soft evening, when the winds are stilled, 
Sinks where his islands of refreshment lie, 
And leaves the smile of his departure, spread
O'er the warm-colored heaven and the ruddy mountain head.

"Why weep ye then for him, who, having won
The bound of Man's appointed years, at last,
Life's blessings all enjoyed. life's labours done,
Serenely to his final rest has passed;
While the soft memory of his virtues yet,
Lingers like twighlight hues, when the bright sum is set!

"His youth was innocent; his riper age
Marked with some act of goodness every day:
And watched by eyes that loved him, calm, and sage,
Faded his late declining years away.
Cheerful he gave his being up, and went
To share the holy rest that waits a life well spent.

"That life was happy; every day he gave
Thanks for the fair existence that was his:
For a sick fancy made him her phantom miseries.
No chronic tortures racked his aged limb.
For luxury and sloth had nourished none for him.

"And I am glad that he has lived thus long,
And glad that he has gone to his reward;
Nor can I deem that nature did him wrong. 
Softly to disengage the vital cord.
For when his hand grew palsied, and his eye
Dark with the mists of age, it was his time to die."

In strong contrast to the death of Mr. Bogardus, occurred that of our young friend, James Plank. The one fell like an ancient forest oak, with its honors clustered think around it, and went down to the darkness of the grave in the glory and beauty of a perfected manhood. The other, just stepping on the stage of action, with all the ardent hopes and noble impulses attendant upon youth - the chart of life, with all its joys, as yet none of its sorrows, spread before his eyes, has fallen like a withered leaf, touched by the rude hands and chilling winds of autumn. It is seldom, in so small a village as this, that such an impressive scene is presented - that of death in age and in youth in such close contrast. An acquaintance of several years had led us to admire his many qualities. In his character there was much worthy of emulation. The large number in attendance at the funeral, gave evidence of the esteem in which he was help by all who knew him.

July 31, 1852
Died - At Cairo, on the 23rd inst. Mary Ann, wife of William A. Allen, aged 26 year.

Died - At Troy on the 10th July William Schuneman, son of Rutger L. and Catharine D. Drake, aged 15 month.

Died - Also at Troy July 21st Rachel Schuneman, daughter of the late William Schuneman, Esq. of Catskill, aged 55 year.

Died - At Prattsville on the 20th inst. of bilious cholic, Louisa, daughter of Anthony and Mary Rapeleyea, aged 17 year.

Died - At New Baltimore Landing, of brain fever, Samuel McKinney, aged 28 year, son of Col. H.L. McKinney.

The bodies of Mr. and Mrs. Ray and their daughter, who were drowned at the burning of the Henry Clay, passed through this village yesterday, on their way to Durham for interment. Mr. Ray was a son-in-law of S.W.D. Cook who was saved.

August 7, 1852
Suicide – We find the following paragraph in the Coxsackie Union, of August 4th:
An inquest was held by Coroner Henshaw, on Sunday morning 1st inst. on the body of Henry Van Dyck, son of Stephen Van Dyck, a young man about 21 years of age, a resident of this town. He had been absent about half an hour, when he was accidentally discovered suspended by the neck, in his father’s barn. He was immediately taken down, but found to be entirely lifeless. As there was nothing unusual in his previous conduct, and from the manner in which he had arranged the affair, it is generally supposed that he did not intend to take his life, but prompted by morbid curiosity to try an experiment, thinking to extricate himself at any moment, and when once partially strangulated, found himself unable to recover from his frightful situation.

Died - In Coxsackie, after a severe illness, Mrs. Gurney, wife of Egbert Gurney.

August 14, 1852
Died - In this village, on the 12th inst. Jane Shauerman in the 21st year of her age. The funeral will take place this afternoon at half past four, from the Presbyterian Church. The friends of the family are respectfully invited to attend.

Died - At Windham, on the 17th ult. Ira Smalling, Esq. aged 68 year.

August 21, 1852
Died in this village on the 14th inst. at the house of Dr. A. Brace, Eunice, w/o L. Kinsley and d/o Capt. John Doane, deceased, formerly of this place.

August 28, 1852
Issue missing

September 11, 1852
Michael Mower, a resident of Kiskatom, had his collar bone broken about 3 weeks ago, by a kick from a horse. The injury proved serious and he died this week.

Died - In this village, Monday night the 6th inst., Fred, son of Frederick S. and Eliza Lynes, aged 1 year 7 months and 7 days.

September 18, 1852
No obituaries

September 25, 1852
No obituaries

October 2, 1852
No obituaries

October 9, 1852
No obituaries

October 16, 1852
No obituaries

October 23, 1852
Issue missing

October 30, 1852
Died – In this village on the 23rd inst. Caleb Hopkins, in the 73rd year of his age.

November 6, 1852
Died - At Sacramento (California) on the 24th of September, Mr. William Scott, aged 52 years. A late emigrant from Catskill. Mr. Scott was a resident of this place nearly half a century, and well known as a quiet, honest and industrious citizen.

November 13, 1852
Died - In this place on the 11th inst. Abram Layman Jr. aged 25 years.

November 20, 1852
No obituaries

November 27, 1852
No obituaries

December 4, 1852
Died - At Bennington, Vt. November 22d, 1852, Mr. Elizabeth Brizee, formerly of this place, in the 60th year of her age.

December 11, 1852
Drowned, Thomas Van Steenburgh, formerly of Durham, in this county, was drowned near Bristol, in the Hudson River, a few days since, by being knocked off a canal boat. Coroner Merclean of Ulster, held an inquest on Friday of last week, and a verdict was rendered in accordance with these facts. His body was taken to Durham for interment.

Died - In this village on the 3d instant (while on a visit to her friends) of typhus fever, Catharine E., w/o Dr. J. Warren Hubbard of Sacramento City, California. Mrs. Hubbard was a daughter of Mumford Eldred, Esq., formerly of this village, now of Martin, Michigan.

Died at South Westerlo, October 2, of consumption, Maria Theresa Robbins, daughter of Dr. E. Hamilton, of Greenville, aged 37 years.

December 18, 1852
No obituaries

December 25, 1852

Died - At New Baltimore, Greene Co, on the 13th inst., Henry Gedney, aged six months and 15 days.

            This lovely bud, so young, so fair
            Called hence by early doom,
            Just come to show how sweet a flower
            In paradise could bloom.

Died - In Kingston, on the 24th inst., Samuel I. Van Vechten, of this place (recently of Milwaukee, Wisconsin) in the 40th year of his age.

January – March 5, 1853
Issues missing

March 12, 1853
No obituaries

March 19, 1853 – June 4, 1853
Issues missing

June 11, 1853
Died – At Windham Centre, on Friday April 8th, Mrs. Maria Tremain, wife of Myron Tremain, aged 53 years; and at the same place, may 26th, Charlotte M., daughter of Myron and Maria Tremain, in the 16th year of her age.

Within the space of two short months a mother and child have been taken from the same family circle, making the hearts of the few that remain desolate. Death came first with fatal arrow and took the mother. Her spirit has gone to its last home, and none who knew her can doubt that she is happy now, - A good Christian Mother was she, and in all her trials and sorrows she would calmly rely upon the arm of “Him who is mighty to save, “ and “who tempers the wind to the shorn lamb.” Many were the afflictions her Heavenly Father saw fit she should endure, and we would not call her back, although her presence would cheer the gloom of the now broken home. We, who knew her, loved her, and she still lives in our memories as one worthy of the esteem and love of all. For many years had she felt that disease was doing its slow work, and that she might be ready for another world, was her daily prayer. The husband and children feel deeply their loss, but let her example lead them to trust in One who never leaves those who choose him for their guide, and safely too will He lead them through this world of disappointed hopes.

“Then there came another fearful day,” and the youngest child was visited by a hidden disease, which had well nigh dethroned reason and congealed the fount of life, ‘ere danger was thought near. She suffered much, and Nature struggled long to triumph over death, but at last, “The harp strings gave a thrilling sound and broke,” and all was over. Her companions loved her, and could see in the goodness of heart and gentleness of manner, the reflection of the amiable qualities of her mother, and as her young friends covered the narrow coffin with flowers, as a last token of regard to the dead, a feeling of sadness filled every heart, that could find relief but in tears. From sorrow and trouble has she been taken, and we have the sweet assurance that “all is well with the child” – that she and her mother are resting in the arms of their God.

Died – In this village, on the 4th instant, Frederick, son of John and Susan Hopkins, aged 3 years and 11 months.

June 18, 1853
Issue missing

June 25, 1853
Died - In this village on the 21st inst. Denys Casey, late of the city of New York, in the 40th year of his age. His funeral was attended by the members of Hendrick Hudson Lodge IO of OF.

July 1853 – December 1853
Issues missing.

January 1854 – January 21, 1854
Issues missing

January 28, 1854
Certificate of Execution

We the undersigned, officers and Citizens who attended and witnessed the Execution of Warren Wood, do hereby certify that in the large room, on the second story, and within the walls of the jail of the County of Greene, situate in the village of Catskill, in the said county, on the twentieth day of January, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and fifty four, the said Warren Wood was, by Nathaniel Ormsbee, Esquire, Sheriff of the County of Greene, duly executed in accordance with the sentence of the Court of Oyer and Terminer, held in and for the said County, on the twenty second day of November, one thousand eight hundred and fifty three, by hanging the said Warren Wood by the neck until he was dead, and that the said Execution took place at fifteen minutes before one o’clock, P.M. on the said twentieth day of January, one thousand eight hundred and fifty four.

Nathaniel Ormsbee, Sheriff
J.H. Baldwin )
A.H. Knapp   )  Physicians

Samuel Du Bois
C.B. Dickinson
R. Fulton
W.H. Stewart
Joseph Joesbury
W.H. Jackson
M.B. Mattice
Peter Griswold
Horace Austin
James Willson
David Whiting
George Breasted 

Sad Accident -  We learn that Mr. O. Beal of Cairo, came to this village last week with a load; and after unloading, standing near his horses, slipped and fell against one of the,. The animal, kicked Mr. B just below the knee, and so injured him that he was unable to return home. He was conveyed to a house on the Saugerties road, and on Sunday last laid in a precarious condition, since which time we have not heard from him. People’s Press, Kingston

February – April 8, 1854
Issues missing.

April 15, 1854
Died – In the village, on Tuesday April 11th, John C., infant son of John C. and Diana Van Bergen, aged 13 months and 14 days.

April 22 – May 20, 1854
Issues missing

May 27, 1854
Drowned – James Rice, a lad aged about 8 years, was drowned on Wednesday afternoon last, near Tryon’s dock in this village. It is supposed that he fell from a small scow, lying at the dock, while endeavoring to reach his cap, which had fallen into the water. His body was not found until late in the afternoon. Coroner Knapp held an inquest, and a verdict of “death by accidental drowning,” rendered by the jury – Coxsackie Union 

Died – At Durham, suddenly on the 12th ult. Rufus Canfield, aged 39 years.

June 3, 1854
Issue missing

June 10, 1854
No obituaries

June 17 – July 8, 1854
Issues missing

July 15, 1854
Died – At South Cairo, on the 28th ult., after a long illness, which he bore with Christian resignation, Elisha Blackmar, Esq., aged 74 years.

Mr. Blackmar has long been well and favorably known throughout the County of Greene, and adjoining Counties, as one of our most upright, intelligent and respected citizens.

Having engaged in business in the early part of life, he prosecuted it with energy and prudence, and having acquired a compentency retired to his farm, which he has cultivated with success for the last fifteen or twenty years.

He has frequently been called to the discharge of responsible stations, both in the Town and County of his residence; and especially as one of the Superintendents of the County poor, which office he held for a series of years to the time of his death. He discharged its important, and at times delicate duty with great fidelity and integrity. The County poor ever found in him a kind and sympathizing friend. The tax-payers of the County felt that every cent would be prudently expended.

It is, however, in the other walks of life that we love most to contemplate his character. He was eminently a man of piety – of benevolence – and of peace; and the church to which he had dedicated himself, and of which he was an officer and an ornament, will long remember with gratitude the aid and effort which he gave her. His hand and heart were open to the calls of the destitute, and none went from his house cold or hungry.

His less favored relatives were particularly the subjects of his sympathy and of his bounty; and many an orphan will bless and cherish his name and memory for the more than parental care and aid which he has given them.

This kind and devoted husband – this beloved relative – this venerable and good man has passed from among us to his glorious reward above. How “…” we may say, “Well done good and faithful servant.”

July 22, 1854
Issue missing

July 29, 1854
Died – In Cairo, on the 22d inst., Charles Volney King, aged 21 years and 5 days. 

Again has death cut down one fresh in youth, in hope, and in promise. Consumption has added another to its fearful list of victims taken from the ranks of youth and education; and we now mourn the loss of one who was widely respected, and who might have attained the highest usefulness and posts of honor. But God had decreed it otherwise. The fiat had gone forth, and our friend and brother is no more. His illness was exceedingly severe, but borne with peculiar patience and resignation. He had the hope of the righteous in his death. A most marked and entire change was visible in him. The religion of Christ was a foundation upon which he rested without fear or doubt, and under a calm and intelligent faith he could speak composedly of death, and dying was but going home. He had made choice of the Legal profession and was to have been admitted to the bar, but a few days before his decease. By many amiable qualities he had already endeared himself to many, and none among his companions could look forward to a brighter earthly future. But the morning of his life was suddenly overcast. He was called upon to relinquish all things earthly and to prepare for that journey from whence no traveler returns. So far as s known, and we can judge, his sorrow for sin was deep, his repentance sincere, and his faith in Christ the Saviour of men, firm; so that our loss is believed to be his gain. Though his was a death bed repentance, yet all were obliged to admit that much Christian character was visible in his last hours. This is our hope, this our consolation. His early death admonishes as of the brevity of life, and to the young of all classes the Providence speaks with an amazing emphasis, “Remember thy Creator in the days of thy youth.”

August 5, 1854
Issue missing

August 12, 1854
Died – In Kingston, July 17th, Egbert Jansen in the 76th year of his age, one of the most worthy and respected citizens of that town.

August 19 – August 26, 1854
Issues missing

September 2, 1854
Died – In the town of Athens, Saturday morning, August 26th, Mr. Richard Clow, an old and respected citizen of that town.

The following deaths were cholera:

In Catskill, on Tuesday the 29th of August, Peter Van Vechten, in the 61st year of his age.

On Tuesday, August 29th, Charles Austin, aged 49 years.

On Tuesday August 29th, William Taylor.

On Sunday, August 27th, Samuel Francis.

September 9 – October 7, 1854
Issues missing.

October 14, 1854
No obituaries

October 21 – November 11, 1854
Issues missing

November 18, 1854
Died – In Cooksburgh, Albany Co, November 10th of consumption, Mrs. Sally, wife of Gilbert Travis. The last illness of Mrs. Travis was protracted through many weeks and attended with much suffering, all of which she endured with true Christian fortitude and patience. When the hour of her departure came, she was ready to go. Having commended her two sons and her heart-stricken husband to God, she sweetly fell asleep in Jesus.

Died - In Catskill, on the morning of the 12th inst. Mr. Nelson Hyde, aged 37 years.

Died - At Northville, Fulton Co, NY, November 12th, Adaline Laraway, wife of John Laraway, Esq., late of Greene Co, and daughter of John Tuttle of Ashland, NY after a long and painful illness, which she bore with Christian fortitude and resignation, aged about 45 years, leaving a large circle of relatives and friends to mourn their loss, which is her eternal gain.

Died - At South Cairo, on the 1st inst. After a lingering illness, Robert Bailey, in the 78th year of his age.

November 25, 1854
No obituaries

December 2 – December 9, 1854
Issues missing

December 16, 1854
Died – At Kauterskill, on Monday evening, December 4th, Mary, wife of George Moore, in the 33d year of her age.

“There is but a step between us and death,” is the assurance of the Divine Word, and seldom has its truth been confirmed more startingly than by the death announced above. Only a few minutes elapsed between the time in which Mrs. Moore stood as expectant of long life as any now living, and that in which she lay numbered with the dead.

Thus suddenly has passed away from us one of amiable character, fondly loved by many, highly esteemed by all. There has been lamentation and weeping over her departure. More than one swelling has been made a house of mourning. Yet we sorrow not even as others which have no hope, for the closing years of life of the deceased were such that, for the coming of the Son of Man, sudden as it was, she was ready, and is among those who, under his guidance, have entered into that rest. “Which remaineth for the people of God.”

Died – At Leeds, Greene Co, November 23rd, Mr. James W. Elting, aged 60 years.

The deceased was a prominent member of our community. Endowed by nature with a considerable grasp of mind, and having from early life accustomed himself to the practice of industry and economy, he became, with the blessing of a propitious Providence upon the labor of his hands, the possessor of a full competency of this world’s goods. He held from time to time various town and county offices and proved himself an efficient businessman. His characteristical mark, in all the relations of life, was perservering energy. He was an obliging neighbor and devoted friend, an affectionate husband and provident father. But his chief excellence lay in the simple fact that he was a Christian. About 25 years since, he made a public profession of faith in Christ. He held the office of Deacon, and afterwards was ordained an Elder, in the Reformed Dutch Church, at Leeds. His last illness continued several months, during which he suffered exceedingly, at times, from neuralgic pains through his entire system, which he bore with great fortitude and commendable patience and resignation to the will of his Heavenly father, frequently expressing himself as ready and willing to depart and be with Christ, which he confidently believed would be far better. At length, with calmness and in peace, be breathed his last and entered upon the reward of the just. He has left a deeply sorrowing, though unmurmuring, family to mourn his loss. Thus it is in this inconsistent world! Scarcely a month had elapsed since the venerable Father of the deceased, Dr. William Elting, who for years had resided with his son, and who in time past traversed the country, administering successfully to the maladies of the body, when death again steps within the door and snatches away the head of the house, carrying him to the spirit land, to await the arrival of the next forth-going member of the afflicted family, and circle of sorrowing friends.

In this village, Monday night, December 11th, Daniel Gunn, aged 78 years.

December 23, 1854
Issue missing

December 30, 1854
Died – At Cahoes, Albany Co, Friday, the 22d inst., Mr. Andrew Gregory, formerly a resident of this village, aged 59 years.

January – December 8, 1855
Issues missing

December 15, 1855
Died – At Cairo, Thursday, December 13th, Hon. Martin L. Rickerson, aged 37 years. His funeral will take place Sunday, December 16, at 10 A.M.

December 22, 1855 – September 6, 1856
Issues missing

September 13, 1856
Died – At the residence of Peter Hubbell, Charlestown, Mass., on Monday the 1st of September, Fannie C., wife of Rev. C.E. Swope of Baltimore, Md. And daughter of the late Rev. Joseph Prentiss of Catskill, NY aged 29 years.

September 20, 1856 – December 1856
Issues missing

January 3, 1857
P. Bunt of Hunter was so severely injured a few days ago that he died in a short time. He was on his way down the Plattekill Cove Road, when his horses and wagon (it being icy) slid off the road and fell down the wall on the lower side. Both horses were killed and Mr. Bunt was rendered helpless by the fall. This, it’s thought, occurred at about 10 o’clock in the forenoon and the sufferer lay there until near night. When found he was badly frostbitten, though still alive, but he died about an hour after being conveyed to a house. He was thirty years of age and leaves a wife and one child.

Died – In Durham, November 28th of Typhus Fever, Lorinda P., only daughter of Henry and Mary A. Russ, aged 20 years.

January 10, 1857
Died – At his late residence in this village on the morning of January 2d Eben Nearing, in the 67th year of his age.

Died – At Albany, January 7th, Orville H. Chittenden, in the 37th year of his age.

January 17, 1857
No obituaries

January 24, 1857
Died – January 15th, 1857 at East Broomfield, NJ, Frederick E., son of George S. Beach, aged 11 years.

January 31, 1857
No obituaries

February 7, 1857
Died – Of scarlet fever at East Bloomfield, NJ, Frederick E. Beach on Thursday January 15th, 1857. Also Arthur W. Beach on Thursday, January 22d, 1857, sons of George L. Beach of this village.

February 14, 1857
Died – In this village of scarlet fever on Sunday February 8th, 1857, John Champlin Van Bergen, son of Addison F. and Mary C. Beach, aged 2 years, 7 months and 24 days.

February 21, 1857
Died – In this town on the 19th inst., the 3rd year of his age, Jacob Van Orden, son of Francis Story.

Death of William Mackey:
This mournful event took place a Sunday evening last, at about 11 o’clock. He had been unwell for several weeks previous to his death, but he was not considered to be dangerously ill until a few hours previous to his death. The deep sorrow that his decease has called forth, is the evidence that he occupied a prominent place in the hearts of the community. But a few weeks since, in the full flush and health of hope, Mr. Mackey looked forward to a future that seemed to open full of promise, but in “an unexpected hour, the Son of Man appeared.” The number present at the funeral testified their respect for the departed and looked with tearful eye upon his early grave and gave evidence of the place he has so deservedly won in every heart, and was a token to those especially bereaved,, that their grief was not unshared. The funeral services were held at the 1st Reformed Church under the Order of the Masonic Lodge, of which he was a member. The sermon was preached by Rev. J. Steele.

February 28, 1857
No obituaries

March 7, 1857
Died – At Mechanicsville, Saratoga Co, February 12th, Miss Miranda Dorman, formerly of this village.

March 14, 1857
No obituaries

March 21, 1857
No obituaries

March 28, 1857
No obituaries

April 4, 1857
No obituaries

April 11, 1857
No obituaries

April 18, 1857
Died – At Athens, April 7th, Mary Cleveland, aged 1 year and 2 months, daughter of Rev. Jonathan and Susan Coe.

Funeral of Malbone Watson – The funeral of the late Judge Watson will take place in this village on Wednesday afternoon next at 2 o’clock.

April 25, 1857
The Late Judge Watson – The remains of the Hon. Malbone Watson, were brought on from New Orleans, in charge of his brother-in-law, Major Sanford, and arrived here on Tuesday last. Notice of their expected arrival had been forwarded, and the funeral ceremonies were appointed for Wednesday at two o’clock, P.M.

A large collection of people assembled to pay their last respects to the deceased, among whom we noticed quite a number of lawyers and other gentlemen, from the neighboring cities and villages.

The funeral ceremony took place at the Presbyterian Church, and an eloquent and impressive address upon the occasion was delivered by the Rev. Mr. Howard.

The disease of which Judge Watson died was inflammation of the lungs. -  He had a severe attack something over a year ago from which he never entirely recovered.

Thus has passed away another of our talented and distinguished men. He has been an inhabitant of this village for over twenty-five years, and during the whole of that period he has held some important office to the time of his death. He was appointed District Attorney in 1831, and held the office for about nine years, and until the appointment of Surrogate of Greene County was conferred on him by Gov. Marcy, which he held till his elevation to the Bench of the Supreme Court in 1847. He was also a successful and distinguished lawyer, and stood at the head of the legal profession in Greene County at the time he was elected a Justice of the Supreme Court.

In all and each of these prominent positions he had scarcely a superior and few equals. As a lawyer he contemned quibbles and sharp or technical practice, but rather aimed at accomplishing success by frank straight-forward and honorable means. The junior members of the profession will long remember with pleasure and gratitude the aid, indulgence and encouragement which he uniformly extended to them when consistent with his duty to his clients.

As a public prosecutor he was merciful, but firm in the administration of criminal law. He never was known to press a conviction where he was satisfied there were reasonable doubts as to the guilt of the accused, while the guilty under his ready and effective eloquence.

He discharged the important and sometimes very intricate duties of Surrogate for eight or nine years with great impartiality, and to the almost entire satisfaction of those who had occasion to do business with him in the Surrogate’s Court.

As a Justice of the Supreme Court, until his health became impaired, he met the responsibilities of the high station, and performed its duties with singular ability. By his quick perception, strong discriminating mind, and his readiness to see the strong ponts of a cause, he became one of the best circuit Judges in the State, and was one of the most popular men of the day.

His success and these high positions he attained while yet in the meridian of life, and when it was hoped by his many friends and admirers that a long life of honor and of usefulness still remained to him.

Yet he has been cut sown in the midst of his days, and the scenes of earth are closed on him forever.

He leaves a family to whom he was most affectionately and devotedly attached, and large circle of near and dear relatives whose favorite he was, to mourn his untimely departure.

He leaves many warm friends who will remember with melancholy pleasure the happy hours they have spent in his society, and the amicable relations that existed between him and them.

Died – On Wednesday April 22nd, Mrs. Frederic W. Hofman, eldest daughter of William Kerr, in the 22d year of her age.

May 2, 1857
Died – At Athens, in Saturday April 18th, after a lingering illness, Sarah Cornelia, wife of Nathan Clark Jr., in the 39th year of her age.

Died – At Acra, on Tuesday April 21st, Nancy M., infant daughter of Levi and Louisa A. Bronson, aged 8 months.

Death of Hon. Joshua Spencer
Hon. Joshua Spencer, formerly of this country, but for many years at the head of the bar of Oneida County, died at Utica on Saturday last. We find the following in the Albany Journal:

Joshua A. Spencer – We announced the painful news of Mr. Spencer’s death on Saturday. He was born at Great Barrington, Mass., in 1790. He was a descendant from the same family as the late Chief Justice Spencer and John C. Spencer, though but remotely connected with them. Early in life he came to Greenville, Greene County, in this State, where he taught a village school. Always industrious and persevering, he also learned two trades – that of a clothier and that of a carpenter and joiner – and worked for some time at the latter. His brother, the late General Spencer, of Canastota, was settled at Lenox, Madison county, as a lawyer, where he was joined by J.A. Spencer about 1808. The latter soon after commenced the study of the law in his brother’s office, and afterwards became his partner.

When the war of 1812 occurred, Mr. Spencer was called upon, as a subordinate officer of the local militia, to repair to the Northern frontier. He returned at the close of the campaign with a severe illness, brought on by hardship and exposure.

At the Bar he very early gained a high rank, and his services were sought for in all the most important cases occurring in the vicinity. In 1829, he removed to Utica and formed a professional connection with the late William H. Maynard, which was dissolved by the death of Mr. Maynard in 1832. In 1841 he was appointed Attorney of the United States for the Northern District. In 1845 he was elected to the Senate of this State. He was several times the candidate of his party, for high stations, as member of Congress, and Judge of Appeals. In 1849 he was Mayor of the city. Notwithstanding his public duties, Mr. Spencer never enjoyed even a temporary respite from the labors and duties of his profession, but continued actively employed until arrested by his last illness.

Mr. Spencer has been twice married, first to Miss Phelps, who died young, and who was the mother of his first two children, Hamilton Spencer, Esq., now of Illinois, and Clarissa, the wife of the Rev. Dr. Kennedy, of Troy. – His second wife was the daughter of Judge Dean, of Westmoreland. By his second marriage he had a numerous family, nearly all now settled in life, and who, with the widow, are left to deplore his loss.

For some of the above facts we are indebted to a biographical sketch which appears in the Utica Observer.

May 9, 1857
Died – Sunday, May 3d at Kiskatom, Miss Catharine Brit in the 25th year of his age.

Died – May 1st at Pleasant Valley, Mary wife of John Mullen, aged 36 years, formerly of Catskill. Her remains were brought to this place.

May 16, 1857
Died – At Cooperstown on the 3d inst., Mr. Everett Hinman aged 63 years. Mr. Hinman had resided for 22 years on the place owned by him, about a mile southeast of this village. He was an esteemed member of the Presbyterian church of Cooperstown, and was regarded as one of our best men – honest, upright, benevolent and true. His funeral was attended on Wednesday by a large concourse of people, who accompanied the remains to the cemetery. (Cooperstown Journal)

Died – In Saugerties, Tuesday May 5th, Mrs. Anna Kortz, widow of the late James Kortz, aged 81 years.

Died – On the 10th inst. At Newport, RI, Mrs. Demarius C. Chase, wife of Capt. Jesse Chase, and the daughter of the late Samuel Allen, Esq.

May 23, 1857
Died – In Kiskatom, April 30th, John F. Sax, aged 60 years.

May 30, 1857
No obituaries

June 6, 1857
No obituaries

June 13, 1857
Two Men Shot – One Killed

Last Sunday afternoon or evening, two parties of fishermen were fishing near Rhinebeck, and got into a quarrel, which resulted in two men being shot, one of whom has since died. The trouble grew out of the alleged encroachments of one party upon the fishing grounds of the other. It appears that a fishing party from East Camp, under Jacob Cole, went to Rhinebeck to fish, and meeting the other party there, soon got into a quarrel over their nets, in which a man named Benjamin Cole, belonging to the Rhinebeck party, shot Charles Salpaugh and Aaron Cole, belonging to the East Camp party. Salpaugh afterwards died, and is said to have suffered extreme agony up to the time of his death. The other, it is believed, will recover.

A Coroner’s inquest was held upon the body of Charles Salpaugh on Monday, and a verdict rendered attributing his death to willful murder at the hands of Benjamin S. Cole. The facts of the affray, as given in evidence were, as we learn, substantially as follows:

Mr. Peter D. Cole, (son of Jacob Cole) laid down his net upon his own ground, adjoining that of Benjamin Cole. Soon afterwards a man named Kipp, in the employ of the latter, laid a net just above, of the latter, laid a net just above, which drifted down upon that of Peter Cole. Peter Cole subsequently ordered Samuel Salpaugh (brother of Chas.) to take up the net, and the latter proceeded to do so, when he was told by Kipp that if he touched his net he would shoot him. Salpaugh kept abouthis workin defiance of the threats, while his brother Charles and Aaron Cole, who were in a boat nearby, rowed up to Kipp’s boat, saying that the gun should be taken away from him and thrown overboard, he already having pointed it at Samuel. As they approached Kipp passed the gun over to Benjamin Cole, and in a moment afterwards was clinched by Aaron Cole and Charles Salpaugh. Benjamin then deliberately leveled the gun and shot the two in quick succession, the charges consisting of heavy shot and slugs. He then re-loaded and threatened to shoot the first one who attempted to arrest him. No one dared approach and he escaped to the shore.

Benjamin Cole, the murderer, was arrested and committed to jail at Poughkeepsie. He would doubtless have been killed on the spot by the infuriated fisherman had he not been armed.

June 20, 1857
The Murder at the Rhinebeck Fisheries
It turns out that this is a double murder. Aaron Cole having since died. The murderer is in the Poughkeepsie jail.

June 27, 1857
Died – At Lexington, on the 15th inst., Joel Ford in the 90th year of his age.

Died – In the town of Windham, June 22d, Porter G. Persons, aged 2 years 10 months.

July 4, 1857
Died – At Athens, Monday June 29th, after a short illness, Orrin E. Osborn, in the 54th year of his age.

July 10, 1857
No obituaries

July 18, 1857
No obituaries

July 25, 1857
Issue missing

August 1, 1857
No obituaries

August 8, 1857
Died – At Hobart, July 20th, Nathaniel Mulford, aged 28 years 6 months.

August 15, 1857
Issue missing

August 22, 1857
Issue missing

August 29, 1857
Died – At the residence of her other, in this village, on the 26th inst. Miss Caroline Russell, in the 22d year of her age.

Died – In New Baltimore, on Wednesday last William Gay, in the 34th year of his age.

Died – In Baltimore, on Sunday last, George W., son of Henry Slingley in the 2d year of his age.

Died – At Cranberry, NJ, Emma E., eldest daughter of Lawrence Van Wart, in the 26th year of her age.

Died – In Coxsackie, at the house of William Beatly, on Saturday last, Mrs. Mary Van Slyke, aged 83 years.

September 5, 1857
Fatal accident week before last – An accident occurred in the Town of Greenviille, this county, resulting in the death of William H. Robinson, of that place. He was visiting at the house of Lewis O. Blenis, when a shower came up, and he went out for the purpose of putting a horse in the stable. He had an umbrella in his land and the horse becoming frightened, kicked him, one foot striking his left cheek, the other over the right eye, killing him instantly. Deceased was a young man, and leaves an aged mother, to whom he was an only means of support.

Died – At the residence of Seymour Adams in the town of Cairo, August 17th, George M., son of Geo. G. and Ann E. Crosswell, aged 2 years and two months.

September 12, 1857
Died – In Kingston of Dysentary, Shepard G. Bushnell of Westkill in the 28th year of his age. His remains were taken to Westkill for interment.

September 19, 1857
Died – September 10th, at East Durham, Catharine, wife of James Wetsell, aged 81 years 21 days.

Died – September 1st and 3rd William and Henry, sons of Peter S. Evory of East Durham.

Died – September 13th, at Jewett Heights, Miss Henrietta Johnson, aged 19 years.

September 26, 1857
Issue missing

October 3, 1857
Died – September 25th, Alexander C. Morehouse, aged 31 years.

Died – September 23, George Eaton, infant son of Harriet and Oliver T. Hill, aged 2 years 6 months.

Died – September 22, Miss Augusta A. Stanton, in the 30th year of her age.

Died – September 23, at Coxsackie, infant child of Mary J. and Isaac Spaunburgh.

Died – September 22, at Coxsackie, Mrs. Elizabeth, wife of George Charlot, deceased.

Died – September 24, Mr. Nathan Hubbell, aged 74 years.

No further issues.

Home            Table of Contents            Vital Records Home Page

Obituaries Home Page