The Independent: Various Newspaper Clippings and Articles

Reprinted with permission

Transcribed by Tonya Frickey

From Page 16 Roe Jan Independent November 20, 1975

Remembrances of Things Past

“A History of Craryville” by Cortez Pells

“In 1888 it was voted in Craryville District #5 to build a new school house, the cost of $300 to be paid in taxes in three years.

In 1803 the first church in Craryville was Baptist, later the Methodist Church.

The Harlem Railroad was opened in 1852. The first road recorded through Craryville, from Claverack to Hillsdale, was built in 1799 and 1800. Craryville’s first Election District was formed in 1866. The first postmaster in Craryville was Albert Williams.

The General Store was built in 1893 by S. Marcena Spaulding. Mr. Spaulding was one of the first owners of an automobile in the early 1900’s, a chain drive high wheel delivery wagon. Other later owners of this store and part time post office were George Shutts, Rhinehart Krellwitz, George Carrol, William Pectal Steimer and deAngelo. It is now run by Dick Bottjer as a fruit and vegetable store (operated by his son-in-law, Paul Hannafin.)

Another early store and post office was that now owned by Glynns. Also former store keepers and post masters were Fred Glynn and Lula Strever. This early store and post office in the early 1800’s was run by George Champlin and Son.

An early record of one of the first hotels in Craryville was the John Mitchell house on the North corner of the four corners. The Parker House was built in 1893 and is now MacDonald Hotel.

John Barrington operated a grist and flour mill, also a saw mill in the late 1700’s which later was taken over by Edwin T. Engle. This property was near the present Cecil’s Pizza Parlor.

John McEvoy and George Krick were two of many good blacksmiths in the early day of horses.

In the early 1900’s the Borden Co. owned and operated a farmers milk station on Route 23 near the Niver farm taking in canned milk and shipping it in refrigerated cars to New York City at a price around $1.20 per cwt.

Another early business in Craryville was a coal and feed store with platform scales to weigh wagons of coal, straw, etc. to and from the market. This was taken care of by Lee Whitbeck.

As mentioned, the Harlem Railroad was opened in 1852 with many station agents. One of the first was Lat Lawrence. The latest agents were the Glynn brothers, William and Fred.

There the cattle yards and side track took care of many loads of cattle and calves, hay and straw, to New York and other markets. This railroad carried many passengers and express to Copake Lake and other nearby points.

Another early business in Craryville was a thriving meat market run by one Philip Young whose ancestor later took this over on the property by the three story mansion built by Mr. Young, which is now an antique shop. Later this meat market was taken care of by James Rockefeller.

A more recent operation was the rural mail carrier routes in, through and around Craryville. The long time carriers were Martin Glynn and Frank Johnson.

Also a more recent Craryville business was the Chevrolet garage and sales room owned by Clayton Carl which is now a modern super market owned by Sam Flaum.

In recent years Craryville Fire Companies have two modern fire units at Craryville and Copake Lake.”