Selected Chenango and Madison County OBITS - C

Selected Chenango and Madison County Obituraries


Carey, John

    John Carey, aged 52 years, died at his home in Georgetown early last Wednesday morning, after a lingering and painful illness. He had lived a good many of his years in this town. He was a kind and indulgent parent and has many friends who are pained to learn of his departure. On June 16, 1894 he was united in marriage to Polly Soule and to them was born two sons, Alton and Max, and two daughters, Mildred and Norma. He leaves four brothers, Jesse, Kale, Seward and Ward; also a sister, Edna Collier and a father, Alonzo Carey. A half-sister, Doris Vedder and a half-brother, Gay Carey, also survive. They have the sympathy of all in their bereavement.
    The funeral was largely attended by relatives and friends. It was held at the Otselic M E church Saturday at 2 pm. The flowers were many and beautiful. Burial was made in Maple Grove cemetery.

Cashman, Frank

Frank Cashman

    Frank Cashman passed away at the home of his mother, Mrs Emma D Cashman in this village on Wednesday, November, 10, aged 49 years following an illness of only a few days. Mr Cashman, who was born in Sherburne October 14, 1877 was well known throughout this vicinity, having been in the mercantile business, associated with his father in both Sherburne and this village and prominent in fraternal circles, and his sudden and untimely death will come as a shock to his many friends. Besides his mother he is survived by one daughter, Miss Dorothy Cashman of Oneonta Normal School, one son, Richard Cashman, who is connected with the United States Aviation service, one brother, Roy Cashman of Sherburne and two sisters, Mrs N E Close of Earlville and Mrs F A Sweet of this village. Private funeral services were held from the home of his mother at 11 o'clock on Friday and interment beside his wife in Sherburne West Hill cemetery.

Clapper, Christopher

Christopher Clapper

    Christopher Clapper of 31 Rexford street, whose wife died last week, passed away Wednesday night, aged 70 years. He was the son of Cooley and Clarissa Clapper, and for several years resided on the W E Stover farm at Smyrna. He had been a resident of Norwich five years.
    There survive three sons and one daughter, Floyd and Duard Clapper of Norwich, Mrs Hubert Hale and Victor Clapper of Manlius, one brother, Stanford of Binghamton
    Funeral services will be held at the late home Sunday at 2 pm the Rev L D Palmer officiating with burial in Smyrna.

Clapper, Mrs. Duard

Mrs. Duard Clapper.

    Esther Clapper, wife of Duard Clapper, died at the Matterson hospital in Norwich, on Tuesday, April 13, 1920, after an illness covering a period of several months, the last three of which have been spent in the hospital, where she received the best of care and medical attendance but in spite of the efficient care and medical aid she slowly declined until the end. The deceased was born at Manlius, May 12, 1895, and with the exception of the past few years which have been spent in this vicinity, spent her life there. During her residence here she made many warm friends who will be saddened to learn of her untimely passing and who will extend sincere sympathy to the bereaved family. Beside her husband and one son LaVern, she is survived by one sister, Mrs. Ida Gadio, of Manlius. The funeral ws held in the M E church at Manlius on Friday afternoon and interment made in the family plot at that place.

Clapper, Emma A.

Emma A. Clapper

    Emma A Clapper, wife of Christopher Clapper of 31 Rexford street died at her home, Thursday, June 17, 1926, after an illness of several weeks. She was the daughter of George and Sally Tuttle Barber, born in DeRuyter 64 years ago. Her parents died when she was quite small. She afterwards made her home with her grandfather, Ziba Tuttle. She leaves a large number of friends to mourn her loss. She is survived by her husband, also three sons and one daughter; Victor Clapper and Mrs. Hubert Hole of Manlius, Floyd and Duard Clapper of Norwich alos several grand children.
    Funeral services were held from the home of her son, Duard Clapper, 23 Mechanic street, Sunday at 2:30 pm, the Rev L D Palmer of the Broad street M E church officiating. Burial was in Smyrna.

Clark, Clarence H

Clarence H Clark

    Clarence Harrison Clark, oldest son of George D and Nettie King Clark died at his home in this village at an early hour Friday morning, March 12, after an illness of nearly one month of influenza which was followed by pneumonia. About February 12 the family consisting of Mr. and Mrs. Clark and little son and daughter were stricken with the prevalent malady and for a time grave fears were held for the recovery of all but Albert, aged 5 was the first to show signs of recovery and finally Viola aged 7 made a recovery so that both were able to be taken to the home of friends where they were cared for during the continued illness of the parents. At the end of three weeks Mrs. Clark began to improve slowly but Clarence condition continued to get gradually worse with the exception of a few days before the end, when he appeared to improve but the better symptoms were not lasting and on Friday the end came. The deceased was born on September 2, 1888 on the Hiram King farm in the west part of this town and his home has been in town during the greater part of his life. He leaves many friends here who will be saddened to learn of his passing and who will extend heartfelt sympathy to the bereaved family. During the illness the family was tenderly and constantly cared for by his father, who was assisted by neighbors and friends.
    Besides his wife and two children he is survived by his father, George D Clark of Earlville, two brothers, Ray G of this place and Frank of New Britian, Conn.; his grandmother, Mrs. Emma King of Plainville, Conn.; one aunt, Mrs. Ella Clark of St. Paul, Minn. and three uncles, Frank King of Plainville, Conn.; Sidney King of Rockdale, NY and Devillo King of East Canan, Conn.
    Funeral services were held privately from the home on Sunday afternoon at 1 o'clock, the Rev. C V Stocum pastor of the Baptist church officiating and the remains placed in the vault on Sherburne Hill pending burial in the spring at Poolville beside his mother.

Clarke, Whitman

Whitman Clarke.

    Whitman Clarke, who was the son of the late Whipple and Eliza Clarke, was born in the town of Lebanon, NY, June 29th, 1838, and died at the home of his only son, Milllard J Clarke, in Hamilton Thursday morning, Dec. 12th, 1918, aged 80 years, 5 months and 13 days. Thus closed a long and eventful life that was passed almost entirely in the vicinity of his birth-place, and yet was filled with activities which brought him in contact with many people and many places.
    Until Mr. Clark's retirement from active farm management, a few years ago, he had lived all his life in the town of Lebanon. When he retired from the farm he went to Hamilton and made his home with his son, where Mrs. Clarke, being an invalid for many years, had preceded him and was being tenderly cared for in her affliction.
    He was married in the year 1862 to Frances F Hitchcock, who survives him, and will continue to live with her son and his good wife, who will do all they can for her comfort in her old age.
    Mr. Clarke was educated in the old Hamilton academy, which was situated on Hamilton street in that village, and was regarded in the early days as being one of the leading educational institutions of the state. Here he acquired much of the old classical training, that he loved even to the end of his days to recite Latin orations, and to converse on educational matters.
    He believed in the benificence of our common school systems thoroughly and he served for over 25 years consecutively as a trustee of his school district, and was ready to give of his time and means to promote the welfare of the school.
    He always took a deep interest in public affairs and was fearless in the expression of his opinions on public matters, and, although the party was always in a hopeless minority, he often accepted Democratic nomination for public office as a matter of duty which rested on him as a citizen.
    But it was in the field of fraternal organizations that he found his most congenial associations and gained the distinction which made him known throughout the country. Perhaps no one but himself could tell how many Orders he belonged to for he was truly cosmopolitan in this respect and fraternal relations were very dear to his heart. It is certain, however, that he had membership in all the well-known orders, and took an active interest in all of them. He seemed to aspire to get all there was in each order and served all with impartial loyalty so that he was heartily welcomed by all and gained distinction and honors in many different orders. He was recognized as a leading member by Masons, Odd Fellows, Knights of Pythias and other orders.
    He was a member of Hamilton lodge, No. 120, FAM, for 52 years; of Smyrna lodge of Odd Fellows for 39 years and of many other bodies for years and years.
    He had the distinction of serving as Master of Hamilton lodge, No. 120, F & AM, as High Priest of Cyrus chapter, No. 50; as Emminent Commander of Norwich commandery, No. 46, Knights Templer. He also gained honorable distinction in all the other orders he belonged to so that it is safe to say that he had a most distinguished career in the field of fraternal activities and found his greatest pleasure in the inculcation of the spirit of good will and good fellowship which distinguishes the various fraternal orders.
    Funeral services were conducted at the home of his son Sunday afternoon, the 15th inst., by Rev. Mr. VanSyckel, rector of St. Thomas church, after which the body was committed to the grave in Woodlawn cemetery, where the solemn funeral rites of the Masonic lodge were most impressively rendered by Worshipful Master C J Coleman of Hamilton.
    Numerous delegations from other orders testified to the esteem in which he was held by their presence when his mortal remains were laid at rest in beautiful Woodlawn.

Close, John D.

John D. Close

    John G Close, one of the most popular conductors on the O & W raolroad and one of its oldest employes in point of service, having labored for that company for the past 40 years, died at his home, 12 Silver street, Norwich Friday morning.
    Mr. Close had been in failing health for a long time and had been compelled to relinquish his duties with the O & W railroad the Sunday following Thanksgiving. He had been confined to his bed for the past two weeks. Had he lived until March of this year he would have been 60 year of age.
    Mr. Close was born in Smyrna, but had been a resident of Norwich for the past 36 years. He was a valued employe of the O & W railroad and by hard work, faithfulness to duty and by fulfiling every obligation he soon earned the respect and confidence of his employers and his associate workers. He at first began work with the O & W as a trainman, but had been a conductor for the past 26 years. He was formerly on trains running from Norwich to Oswego and Norwich to Utica, alternating each day. Since early last fall his run had been the Rome milk.
    The deceased was well known in Earlville, and had a wide circle of friends who will mourn his passing. He was known the entire length of the O & W railroad and was held in the highest esteem by employes all along the route.
    Mr. Close was a member of the order of Railway Conductors, Canasawacta lodge of Odd Fellows and Norwich lodge, No. 1222, BPOE Elks. He was loved and respected by his fraternal brothers and was ever true to the teachings of the orders with which he was affiliated.
    Besides his wife, Mr. Close is survived by one daughter, Mrs. George Zehr of Norwich, a son, Howard, of Syracuse, two brothers, James of Randallsville and Lewis of Eaton, two sisters, Mrs. Harriet Bierce and Mrs. Emma Barney of Sherburne. Funeral services were held from the late home Sunday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock. Interment made in Mt. Hope cemetery, Norwich.

Coleman, Mrs. Cynthia

    Mrs. Cynthia Coleman died at the Cortland Hospital Thursday, October 7, aged 53 years. She had been in poor health for the past year. Last spring she had an operation for the removal of a goitre and she had never recovered from the effects. She leaves besides her husband six daughters, Mrs. Howard Bumpus of Lincklaen, Mrs. Dewayn Brown, Mrs. Roy Davis, Mrs. Horace Baker and Miss Bernice and Miss Doris, all of this place, and one granddaughter, besides many other relatives and friends. She was a member of the Baptist church and the Rebekah lodge. The funeral was held at the Baptist church Sunday, the Rev. J C Whitney officiating. Undertaker Woodley had charge. Burial was made in Valley View cemetery.
The year 1926 in pencil on obit.

Collins, Mrs. Loren

Mrs. Lren Collins died at her home on South Main street in this village Sunday noon as a result of a stroke of apoplexy which she suffered Saturday afternoon. Mrs. Collins was 71 years of age, and is survived by one sister, Mrs. W F Jaquith, and three brothers, John and Joseph Powers of Rockdale and Frank Powers of Smyrna. The funeral will be held Wednesday afternoon from her late residence. Mrs. Collins and her husband, the late Loren Collins, came to this village in their latter years, and became valued members of the community. Both were held in the highest esteem, and Mrs. Collins as well as her husband consistent members of the Congregational church.

Collins, W V

W V Collins.

    After many months of suffering W V Collins passed away at his home in this village on Saturday afternoon, Feb. 26, 1921, aged 63 years.
    On July 19th last, he was operated upon at the Memorial hospital in Norwich. The operation was a success and he was soon able to return to his home but owing to his weakened condition and other chronic complications being aggravated he was unable to fully rally. He had been gradually failing for several weeks although he had the best of care and medical attendance.
    Willie Van Dusen Collins was born near Lebanon, NY, on Feb. 9, 1858, and was the oldest son of the late William L and Sarah Van Dusen Collins. He spent his early manhood in Lebanon, and was united in marriage to Miss Hattie B Cardon June 1, 1887. To them were born two sons, Ernest B of this place and Clyde E of Syracuse.
    About 35 years ago he engaged in the egg and poultry business, which he continued up until last June. Nineteen years ago he moved from Lebanon to this village, and during the years of his residence here he has made many friends by his quiet and unassuming character.
    Eleven years ago he united with the First Baptist church of Earlville, and was always a regular attendant at the services and interested in all church activities.
    In politics he was a Democrat, and while he never sought public office yet he was an active and conscientious believer in the principles of his party.
    He is survived by his wife; two sons above mentioned; two sisters, Mrs. Fred Welch and Mrs. Charlie Tracy of Norwich, and four granddaughters. To the bereaved family the sympathy of many friends will be extended.
    The funeral services were held from the late home on Tuesday afternoon at two o'clock, Rev. Aulick of the Baptist church officiating. Burial was made in the Earlville cemetery.

Comstock, Abel

Funeral Services Held

Smyrna, Oct. 8 -- Abel Comstock, who passed away at his home in Smyrna village on September 30, 1926 after a five weeks' illness, was born in Norwich, November 3, 1834. He attended the old Norwich academy, then was employed for 8 years in the John Mitchell drug store, leaving only when he purchased a drug store in Smyrna in 1864, where he conducted a business for 36 years, the last ten years having his son, James as a partner. He retired in 1900 but has kept active since, caring for his home and garden. Mr. Comstock served several terms as village president and has been for many years a trustee of the Methodist Episcopal church, of which he was a member for over 50 years. He has also been for 25 years a member of the school board and for several years a director of the First National Bank of Earlville. Mr. Comstock was married three times, his first wife being Cynthia M Thompson of Norwich, by whom he had three children, James T of Smyrna, William J of Brooklyn and Sarah L who married G N Willcox and died in 1893, leaving four children, Abel, Ralph, Clarence and Cynthia Louise. The latter adopted by her grandfather is now Mrs. William A Simpson of Norwich.
In 1875 he married Sarah J Bennett and on January 4, 1923 Mrs. Eliabeth P Smith, who made his last years very pleasant and comfortable. Besides his widow, sons, grandchildren and great-grandchildren, he leaves two sisters, Mrs. Bessie C Jones and Mrs. Rachel Shattuck of Norwich and a wide circle of friends and business associates by whom he will be greatly missed. The funeral services were held from the Methodist Episcopal church on Sunday afternoon, October 3, the large attendance showing the regard for one who had been a resident of this village for sixty-two years. Members of the school board and directors of the Earlville bank attended in a body.

Abel Comstock Dies at His Home in Smyrna

Abel Comstock, one of the oldest residents of Chenango county, died at his home in Smyrna Thursday night, aged 91 years. he was one fo the best known residents of Smyrna, where he had lived for 60 years. Before going to Smyrna he was a resident of this city.
Mr. Comstock was born in Norwich and during his early manhood conducted a drug store in this city. He is survied by his wife, and two sons, James T Comstock of Smyrna and W J Comstock of New York city.
Funeral services will be held Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock in the Methodist church at Smyrna, the Rev. Mr. Carey officiating. Burial will be made in Sherburne West Hill cemetery.

Comstock, Mrs. Abel

Mrs. Abel Comstock

    Mrs. Abel Comstock passed away at an early hour Saturday morning at her home in this village, aged 75 years. The funeral services will be private, on Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock. Burial will be made at Sherburne Hill. A more extended obituary will appear later.

Mrs. Sarah J Comstock

    Smyrna, June 13 --- Mrs. Sarah J Comstock was born in Smyrna, NY, February 23, 1844, the daughter of C S and Abigail Hayward. She was twice married, her first husband, Algernon Bennett, living but a short time. September 22, 1875, she was married to Abel Comstock and was a very devoted wife and a tender mother to his children. She was greatly interested in her home and church and its activities. She became a member of the Methodist Episcopal church September 27, 1863, and was also a member of the Woman's Foreign Missionary Society and the Woman's Christian Temperance Union.
    She had been in failing health for two years and passed away at her home in Smyrna May 31, 1919. Funeral services were held at the home June 2, Rev. W F York officiating, and burial at Sherburne West Hill cemetery.
    She is survived by her husband, Abel Comstock; an adopted daughter, Mrs. Louise Simpson; stepsons, J T Comstock and W J Comstock, and sister, Mrs. Mary D Wade.
Comstock, Mrs. Ellen M

Death of Mrs. James T Comstock.

    Mrs. James T Comstock passed away at her home in this village on Saturday, May 8, 1920, after an extended illness, aged 50 years. Besides her husband she is survived by two sisters, Mrs. F E Blanchard and Miss L E Church, both of Oriskany. Funeral services were held from the home on Tuesday afternoon at two o'clock, Rev. R F Lash of Bainbridge, assisted by Rev. C E Newell of this place, officiating and interment made at Sherburne Hill. A more extended obituary will appear later.

Mrs. Ellen M Comstock.

    Smyrna, May 18 --- Mrs. Ellen M Comstock passed away at her home in Smyrna Saturday afternoon, May 8, 1920, after a long illness.
    She was the daughter of the late A W and Anna Church, born in the town of North Norwich, April 25, 1870, removing in 1886 to Sherburne village.
    After graduating from the Sherburne high school she attended the State Normal school at Fredonia.
    When 14 years of age she joined the Methodist Episcopal church and was always greatly interested in its welfare as well as that of the Sunday school and Woman's Foreign Missionary society.
    October 10, 1894, she was married to James T Comstock of Smyrna where her home has since been. They had one child, Charles C., who died in 1906 when ten years old.
    She is survived by her husband, James T Comstock, two sisters, Miss L E Church and Mrs. F E Blanchard of Oriskany, besides nephews and nieces.

Conant, John J

John J Conant.

    John J Conant was born in Fort Plain, Montgomery county, February 19th, 1844.
    At the age of three years he, with his parents, removed to Frankfort, Herkimer county. His father there engaged in lumbering and public works. At the age of seven years the family removed, this time locating near Hamilton, Madison county, his father then taking up farming.
    At the outbreak of the Civil war in the year 1861 he enlisted in one of the first companies then leaving Hamilton. That company was consigned to the 61st New York Infantry and was stationed on Staten Island, New York harbor. It left the State November 7th of the same year enroute for Washington, the seat of the war. The regiment was consigned to the First Brigade, First Division, Second Corps, army of the Potomac. He took part in many of the bloodiest battles of the war.
    At the battle of Antietam in Maryland, September 17th, 1862, his regiment captured the "Bloody Lane," taking more prisoners than they had men in their ranks.
    At Gettysburg, July 3, 1863, at Pickett's famous charge, they routed the enemy, capturing many prisoners and battle flags.
    At the battle of Spottsvania, Virginia, on Hancock's famous charge, May 12, 1864, they broke through the enemies' lines, capturing 4,000 prisoners, three Confederate generals and many guns.
    He had honorable service in every battlefield of the army of the Potomac from Bull Run to Appamattox, and was present at the surrender of Lee's army, the overthrow of the great rebellion. He took part in the last grand review at Washington before the army was disbanded. He was never taken prisoner, never had a gunshot wound and served under various generals, namely: Hancock, McClellan, Burnside, Hooker, Meade and Grant. He served out two enlistments, making in all three years and nine months service. He was mustered out and honorably discharged July 14, 1865.
    Returning north at the close of the war he became a citizen of Utica, Oneida county, taking up the occupation of city teamster.
    Some years later he became a wheelman on the first line of steam-boats launched on the Erie canal and engaged in the trade of carrying grain between New York and Buffalo. Later he became a sailor on the Great Lakes in the Western Transportation company, going between Buffalo and Chicago. In the meantime he traveled extensively in the middle West and Canada.
    At middle age he returned to his old home town, Hamilton, where he was united in marriage to Miss Harriet E Miner, also of Hamilton. He then took up the occupation of farming, raising a family of children named as follows: Florence Louise, William Frederick, John Clayton, Hiram Joseph, Theodore Roosevelt.
    He died at his late home in South Hamilton Tuesday morning, Jan. 15th, at 12:30. Funeral services were in charge of Undertaker Currier at the church in South Hamilton on Thursday, Jan. 17th, at one o'clock, Dr. F A Starratt, officiating.

Condon, John E

John E Condon.

    Norwich friends will regret to learn of the death of John E Condon of Sherburne, which occurred at the Norwich Memorial hospital Monday night after a brief illness. The deceased was about 58 years old.
    Mr. Condon was well known in this city, where he was a frequent visitor. He was the owner of several race horses and one or more of them were usually entered in the races at the Chenango county fair each year. He formerly conducted a feed store at Smyrna, but more recently had lived in Sherburne.
    Beside his wife and daughter he is survived by two sisters, Mrs. T P Gaines and Mrs. Daley of Sherburne. The body was removed to his home in that village Monday night.
Conley, Mrs. Wm.

Death of Mrs. Wm. Conley.

    Smyrna, Dec. 27 --- Carrie Miles Conley, whose serious illness has been mentioned from time to time during the past few weeks in these columns, passed away at her home east of this village on Sherburne Hill at an early hour Sunday morning, December 25, 1921. Mrs. Conley was the daughter of the late George and Rebecca Miles of Otselic and was born in that town on February 4, 1862. February 15, 1889, she was united with William Conley and for many years was a resident of this town where she has a host of friends who will learn with deep regret of her passing. To them were born three daughters, one of whom, Mrs. E P Tobey of this village, survives. Nellie passed away 23 years ago and Lois 22 years ago. Funeral services were held from the home on Tuesday afternoon at two o'clock, Rev. Mr. Hawley, pastor of the Congregational church at Sherburne of which she was a member, officiating and interment made in Sherburne West Hill cemetery.
Crouch, Rosa Nellie

Rosa Nellie Crouch.

    Miss Rosa Nellie Crouch, daughter of Henry and Augusta Crouch of this village, died at the Binghamton State hospital on Saturday, March 5, 1921, aged 46 years. She had been in the hospital since the 11th of last September.
    The deceased was born in the town of Smyrna on May 15, 1874, and had always resided there until about 11 years ago, when she moved with her parents to this village and had since resided here.
    Undertaker Foster went to Binghamton Sunday for the body, which was brought to the home of her brother, William C Crouch, where the funeral services were held on Tuesday afternoon, Rev. H J Carey of the M E church officiating. Burial was made in the Sherburne Hill cemetery.
    Besides her parents she is survived five brothers: William C and Arthur of Earlville, Chas. D and Walter L of Smyrna and Joseph of Kirkville; three sisters, Mrs. S G Reese and Mrs. Merton King of Earlville and Mrs. Clarence Cowan of Kirkville.
    The sympathy of the community will be extended to the family in their bereavement.
Curtis, Dwight - Feb 1921 in pencil on clipping.

Dwight Curtis of Georgetown Instantly Killed When Struck by Automobile.

    Dwight Curtis, 74 years old, was run down and instantly killed in the village of Georgetown by the car driven by LaVerne Sheldon, postmaster of North Otselic, on Friday evening.
    The aged man became confused, it is believed, as he saw the car start or the curb of the street. Mr. Sheldon was in the act of parking his car, and intended to go to the moving pictures. Curtis ran back to the walk and then out again, directly in front of the car, and was thrown violently to the ground.
    Despite the fact that Sheldon succeeded in stopping in twice the length of his car, the aged man was dead when picked up, having suffered a fractured skull. The coroner was called and pronounced death due to that cause, received in an accident.
    No blame is attached to Mr. Sheldon, whose car was entirely under control and moving as slowly as it could possibly have been. The victim of the accident has not been considered quite competent for some time, it is understood, and doubtless became frightened as the car apparently was bearing down upon him.

Top of Page
Obits Page
Chenango Co, NY Page
Madison Co, NY Page
You are our [an error occurred while processing this directive] visitor since 2 Sep 2000 -- thanks for stopping by!
Last updated: 13 May 2011

© 2000-2015
Email: Tim Stowell