Cole Cemetery, Town of Lincoln, Madison County, NY
Cole Cemetery, Town of Lincoln, Madison County,
New York, 1798 - 1918
(aka Goff's Corners, Charles Pickard farm, Danehy farm)
Field check by Daniel H.
Weiskotten, April 10, 1994
Last Modified 3/13/2004
Click here to go back
to the CAZENOVIA, FENNER and NELSON ROOTSWEB Main Page
here to go back to the PERIPHERAL CEMETERY Main Page
here to go to Dan Weiskotten's History and Archaeology Home Page
Comments or Questions??? - CONTACT
This cemetery is on the present (1994) Charles Pickard farm at Ingalls
Corners in the town of Lincoln. It lies in the middle of the pasture
about 1000 feet north of the farm house and 500 feet northwest of the barn
which stands on Nelson Road. It appears that a road used to pass
this way and an old house site is found a few hundred feet north-northwest
of the cemetery.
The cemetery is situated
about 60 feet from the south line of Lot 21 of the Purchase of 1802 (Late
Oneida Reservation,) on the slope from a low and level scarp of Onondaga
limestone near the bank of a small stream. The cemetery is probably
located here because it is a small island of soil in an area that is primarily
limestone bedrock. Why the burials were not made in the nearby Cranston
Cemetery is not known.
Only two graves, that of
Nathaniel Cole and his daughter Mary, are marked here here although there
is room for at least four adults within the walls which delineate the cemetery.
A well-built stone wall, measuring 16 feet square (12 feet square on the
interior), surrounds Cole's grave, and there is a 6 by 16 foot addition
on the north side made of roughly piled stone. The additional area
is filled with a few feet of earth to provide sufficient soil for burial
in this rocky ground. The old road which once passed by this spot
is to the west and a narrow ledge or step is on the roadside of the stone
wall. Nathaniel Cole's large marble headstone is centered in the
main enclosure but, because his daughter Mary's small shale stone has been
broken and displaced it is not clear where her body lies. There is
no indication of additional burials within the main enclosure and though
someone must lie in the northern addition, there is no stone their either.
The resting place of Nathaniel's wife and Mary's mother is not to me known,
but she may lie along side Nathaniel as there is room on either side of
him in the main plot.
It appears that Nathaniel
Cole's wife's name was Sally and that he had a son Nathaniel K. Cole,whose
wife's name was Polly. Only one deed for Nathaniel owning part of
Lot 21 was found, that being when he purchase part of the lot from Joshua
G. Palmer in 1817 (Deed Q:113). He also owned
various land in the immediate vicinity and his son Nathaniel K. later owned
parts of Lot 21 (Deeds E:332, G:467, L:451, M:328, M:501,
O:38, O:40, P:11, AP:236, BE:276, and BP:172). Parts of Lot
21 are described in Deeds BE:276 and BP:172.
Nathaniel Cole's marble
tombstone appears to have been acquired by his daughter-in- law, Polly
Cole, through "A. Palmer." Palmer does not appear to be a tombstone
carver although he may have been an agent for one (see my Tombstone
Carver Geographical Index) and he may have been Asher H. Palmer, a
trustee of the nearby Cranson Cemetery. The receipt for the stone
is found in Cole's surrogate file in Madison County (File
531) and states:
Received of Polly Cole, twenty dollars in full for one set of
Lenox, February 3, 1830
This cemetery is noted by
Scott and Meyer on their list of 1961 (:36), and is also on Tuttle's Burials
and Veterans list as being at Goff's Corners (Goffs lived here according
to the 1875 map). This may also be the former Danehy farm where Clezzie
Gallup reported two stones but she did not give any names. Her crude
map indicates about the right spot.
Those buried in the Cole Cemetery include:
Cole, Nathaniel, Elder, died July 4, 1828, age 48 years.
END of the Cole Cemetery Transcript by Daniel H. Weiskotten
Cole, Mary, a daughter of Nathaniel Cole, died June 7, 1813,
age 2 years, (small shale stone, broken).