Taken from the HISTORY OF CATTARAUGUS COUNTY, NEW YORK BY L. H. EVERTS 1879)
Methodist Episcopal Church, Delevan, NY
(click on image for full size)
Yorshire Centre, situated east of the centre, on the south branch of the Cattaraugus Creek and the outlet of Lime Lake, both of which afford good water-ower privileges, is a station on the Buffalo, New York and Philadelphia Railroad. It contains two church edifices (Baptist and Union), three religious societies (viz., Baptist, Methodist Episcopal, and Universalist), one hotel, four stores of general merchandise, one hardware-store and tin-store, one drug-store, one furniture-store, one small grocery-store, one jewelry-store, one cheese-factory, one grist-mill, one saw-mill, one cheese-box and shingle-factory, one wood-carding establishment, a post-office, one district school, with two departments, two wagon-, three blacksmith-, two harness-, and two shoe-shops, a meat market, four millinery and dress-making shops, one barber-shop, three physicians, three clergymen, and about 400 inhabitants.
Mason Smith and Lewis Marsh were the original owners of that part of the site which lies upon lot 6. The first clearing was made by Mason Smith, in 1821; Abel Gordon built the first log house, about 1825.
submitted by Pam Davis