The town of Portville was formed from Olean, April 27, 1837. It lies on the southeast corner of the county. The surface is a hilly upland, with the summits being 500- 600 feet above the valleys. The Allegany River enters the town upon the southern border, flows north to near the center, and then northwest to the west border. It receives as tributaries the Oswaya, Dodges and Haskel Creeks. Lumbering is the chief pursuit.
Portville is on the Allegany. In 1863, it contained 2 churches, 2 sawmills, and a gristmill. It had a population of 287.
Mill Grove , south of Portville, is also on the Allegany. In 1863, it contained 2 sawmills, and a gristmill and 18 dwellings.
The first settlement was made in 1805, by James Green, on Haskell Creek in the north part of town. The first child born was Hannah Green, daughter of James Green on April 28, 1807. The first marriage was between Jonathon Dodge and Eunice Atherton, in 1809. David Heusten was the first person to die, killed by the spring of a tree while getting out spars, in early 1807.
The first school was taught by Anna Carpenter, near Portville Village. Lyman Rice kept the first inn, in 1822 and Allen Rice the first store in 1823. The first gristmill was located on Dodges Creek, started by Samuel King. The first sawmill, on Haskell Creek, was erected by James Green and Alpheus Dodge in 1807.
The first church was formed in 1824.
Town and Village Officials
Gail E. Feuchter
1090 Promised Land Rd.
Olean, NY 14760
1102 Portville-Olean Road, Portville, NY
Mail To: PO Box 630, Portville, NY
(716) 933-6658 (B)
1 South Main Street, Portville, NY
Mail To: PO Box 436, Portville, NY
Phone: (716) 933-8407
Portville Historical and Preservation Society Museum
17 Maple Avenue
PO Box 59
Portville, NY 14770
Phone: 716 933-7216
Portville Historical and Preservation Society is located in the Town of Portville, Cattaraugus County. The Society meets on the 2nd Monday of the month in the Portville Free Library
Surnames people are researching from this town
- WITHERELL by Carol Witherell
- MERWIN, LEWIS by Cathie Bryant
- MARSHALL/NORRIS by Djade@aol.com
- HALL by DEBRA A GRAHAM
Photo of East Portville Cemetery courtesy of Maureen Lee
- Chestnut Hill Cemetery- located in the village of Portville, Temple St @ Village Line maintained by the Chestnut Hill Cemetery Association. Roger Pilon, Caretaker. Burials from 1840's to present time.
- Haskell Cemetery- Haskell Rd in Town of Portville. Rea Mhor, caretaker
- E Portville Cemetery- Prosser Rd at Main Settlement, town of Portville Robert Baughman, caretaker, est. 1894
- Pine St.. Cemetery- Pine St. Maintained by Village of Portville - burials from 1813-1856