Ward was formed from Alfred and Amity on Nov. 21, 1856. It is an interior town, lying south east of the center of the county.
The first settlement was made in 1817 by Abraham Waldruff of Ontario county. Daniel Ha-t and Hezekiah Ward settled in the north part in 1817-18. George Waldruff kept the first inn at Philips Creek Village, and Waldruff & Cartwright the first store. [Source: J.H.French, Gazetteer of State of New York, 1860, p.168]
Hamilton Child's 1875 Gazetteer - Ward
Philips Creek - hamlet near north town line
5755 White Rd
Belmont, NY 14813
*code #s refer to the Allegany County Cemetery Index card file at the Allegany County Historical Society and LDS Family History Library microfilm. See Western New York Genealogical Society Journal, Vol. II, No. 1