Grove was formed from Nunda, Livingston county on March 8, 1827 and originally called Church Tract. The name was changed to Grove in 1828. Granger was taken off in 1838. It lies on the north border of the county, near the north east corner.
John White, from Herkimer county was the first settler in May 1818. In the same year Alexander Bailey, from Vermont, settled near Mr. White. The first child born was Laura Bailey on Dec 25, 1820. The first marriage was Elijah White and Lucy Dana in 1822. The first school was taught by Emily Page in 182-. Henry Andrews kept the first inn in 1828 in the northwest corner. Thayer and Smithy was the first store at or near the same place in 1825. John S. Culver erected the first sawmill in the north part. The first religious meeting (Methodist Episcopal) was held at the house of Mr. White, by Rev. Cyrus Story in 1820. The first church (Methodist Episcopal) was formed in the White Settlement in 1821. [Source: J.H.French, Gazetteer of State of New York, 1860]
Hamilton Child's 1875 Gazetteer - Grove
Town of Grove Website
Grove - hamlet near south town line on Fink Hollow Road
Swain - hamlet in northeast corner of town; named after Samuel Swain, 19th century survery or developer.
Brewers Corners - location in center part of town at Johnson Hill Road and Ridge Road
Rosses - hamlet at the north townline, shared with Livingston County
PO Box 57
Swain, NY 14884
10433 County Road 16
Swain, NY 14884
*code #s refer to the Allegany County Cemetery Index card file at the Allegany County Historical Society and LDS Family History Library microfilm. See Western New York Genealogical Society Journal, Vol. II, No. 1