Andover was formed from Independence
on Jan. 28, 1824. A part of Independence was re-annexed the same
year. Part of Wellsville was
added in 1855. Andover lies on the east border of the county,
south of the center.
The first settlement was made in the spring of 1795, by Nathaniel
Dyke, from Tioga Point, Pennsylvania, orignally from Connecticut. Stephen Cole
settled on the lot adjoining Dyke's, in 1796. Benjamin Brookings
and John T. Hyde, from Vermont, settled near the same
place soon after. The first child born was Daniel Cole on
Feb. 18, 1797. The first marriage was Isaac Dyke and Pamelia
Gibson in 1802. &nbps;The first death was Zeriah, daughter
of James Dyke on Jan. 21, 1798. Robert Reed taught
the first school in 1820. Luther Strong built the first saw and grist mill in 1819. He dept the first inn in 1820. Asa S. Allen kept the first store in 1823. The first religious meeting was held at the house of Mr. Dyke, by Rev. Silas Hubbard in 1808. The first church (Congregational) was formed by Rev. Robert Hubbard on July 4, 1824.
Dyke-Cole Cemetery - (Town 2, Range 1MR, lot 30), Elm Valley Road and N.Y. Rte. 19
*code #s refer to the Allegany County Cemetery Index card file at the Allegany County Historical Society and LDS Family History Library microfilm. See Western New York Genealogical Society Journal, Vol. II, No. 1