Regimental History from April to December 1861 of the 9th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment, "Hawkins Zouaves"


History of the Hawkins Zouaves from April to December of 1861

April to December 1861
January to December 1862
January to May 1863
June 1863 to Present

Recruiting for the Hawkins Zouaves, April 1861
Capture of the U.S.S. Fanny, October 1861

April 15th & 16th, 1861: Rush Christopher Hawkins goes to Albany, New York, where he offers the services of the “New York Zouaves” to the Governor, which services are accepted, and at the same time the Governor grants authorization to Hawkins to raise a Regiment of Zouaves for service.

April 16th, 1861: Upon returning to New York City, Hawkins begins recruiting for the regiment at the Headquarters of the “New York Zouaves,” due to the quick pouring of recruits the regiment moves to Castle Garden, New York.

April 23rd, 1861: 6 Companies of the Regiment are mustered into State Service.

April 27th, 1861: 4 Companies of the Regiment are mustered into State Service.

May 4th, 1861: The Regiment is mustered into United States Service at Castle Garden, New York, for two years service, by Captain S.B. Hayman of the 7th United States Infantry Regiment, with 854 Officers and Enlisted men.

May 8th, 1861: The Regiment receives 40 Springfield Rifle Muskets.

May 13th, 1861: The Regiment is numbered as the Ninth Infantry Regiment of New York Volunteers per Special Order No. 176.

May 15th, 1861: The Regiment boards a barge that is towed by the steamer “Young America” and moves from Castle Garden to Riker’s Island, arriving at that place around 10 o’clock.

May (Prior to the 21st), 1861: The Regiment is issued its full dress uniforms composed of deep blue cloth with scarlet sash, fez, and trimmings, at Riker’s Island, prior to this the Regiment had been issued a fatigue uniform composed of blue flannel.

May 29th, 1861: The New York State Board orders that $9,700 be applied for the payment of Uniforms and Equipment for the Non Commissioned Officers and Enlisted men of the Regiment.

May 30th, 1861: The Regiment is issued arms, accoutrements, muskets, knapsacks, haversacks, and canteens. The Rifles are described as being old fashioned, altered flintlocks, these being the .69 caliber 1842 Springfield Muskets. These rifles caused some trouble as they were not what had been promised to the Regiment.

June 5th: The Regiment moves from Riker’s Island aboard two steamships and disembarks at the foot of Thirtieth Street along the East River, and then march up 34th Street to 5th Avenue, proceeding to the home of Mrs. A.W. Griswold where they are presented the National Colors. They then move to the home of Mrs. W.D. Moffatt where they are presented their Regimental Colors. From there the Regiment marched down the Avenue into Broadway and down to Pier Four on the North River. Here the Regiment begins boarding the “Marion,” however it is found that the vessel will not be large enough to hold the entire Regiment properly. The “Marion” steams out to between Bedloe’s Island and Castle William where they drop anchor, from which Colonel Hawkins leaves to secure another transport. (Albert “Tobe” Warren dies when he falls overboard)

June 6th, 1861: The Marion steams down the river and drops anchor off of Staten Island, while awaiting the additional transport required for the Regiment. Shortly thereafter the steamer “George Peabody” arrives and 400 men of the Regiment are transferred from the Marion to her. The two vessels then sail from New York for Newport News, Virginia.

June 9th, 1861: The Regiment arrives at Newport News, Virginia, and is assigned to the Brigade of Brigadier General John Wolcott Phelps, U.S. Volunteers.

June to September 10th, 1861: The Regiment is on duty at Newport News, Virginia.

    June 10th: The Regiment makes a forced march to Big Bethel, Virginia.

    June 29th: Company A is engaged in a skirmish at Baker Lee’s, Virginia.

    July 5th: Company F is engaged along the James River near Newport News, Virginia.

    July 8th: Company A is engaged near Bethel, Virginia.

August 26th to 29th, 1861: Companies C, G, & H take part in the Expedition to Hatteras Inlet, North Carolina.

    August 28th to 29th: Companies C, G, & H are engaged in the bombardment and capture of Fort Hatteras and Fort Clark, North Carolina.

September 10th, 1861: Companies A, D, E, F, & I arrive at Fort Clark, Hatteras Inlet, North Carolina, and remain on duty there until February 5th, 1862.

October 1st, 1861: The gunboat “Fanny” is captured thirty-six miles above Hatteras Inlet, North Carolina, aboard is the Regimental Sergeant Major and a detail of men from the Regiment, along with 20 men of the 20th Indiana Volunteer Infantry Regiment.

October 5th, 1861: Companies B & K rejoin the Regiment at Fort Clark, North Carolina, from Newport News, Virginia.

October 5th to 6th, 1861: The Regiment marches to the relief of the 20th Indiana at Chickamicomoco, North Carolina.

Camp Wool, Hatteras Inlet, North Carolina, camp of the Hawkins Zouaves, October 1861

Copyright 2009 to 2015; The Hawkins Zouaves, 9th N.Y. Volunteers; All rights reserved.