Rockingham is located on the west side of the
Bedford Basin, about six-and-a-half kilometers from Halifax.
WHAT'S IN A NAME?
Until about 1886, the area was known as "Four
Mile House District" because of its distance from Halifax. As
the community grew, it became known as Rockingham after the social
club Sir John Wentworth had started at Prince's Lodge on his estate.
One of the first establishments in the area was the
Rockingham Inn, built around 1800. The Evans family who once owned
the inn were descended from one of the first pioneer families to
settle in Halifax.
For many years the inn remained a popular gathering
spot for military officers and prominent members of Halifax's
leading families who wanted to discuss literary matters. They
included the Strachan, Boak, Parker and Howe families. In 1841, the
old wooden structure caught fire and burned to the ground.
Mount St. Vincent University, which overlooks the
Bedford Basin, was built in 1873 in Rockingham. The Sisters of
Charity established the college as a residential Catholic School for
young ladies. It became a college in 1925 and was proclaimed a
university in 1966.
Following the development of a subdivision in 1962,
the Rockingham community has become largely residential, with its
residents commuting to work in Halifax or Dartmouth. Like many other
communities on the outskirts of Halifax, Rockingham was amalgamated
with the city on January 1, 1969.
"one City...Many Communities" co -
published BY Halifax Regional Municipality AND Nimbus, funded BY
the HRM Millennium Committee.Author : Alfreda Withrow
1999-2004 by Halifax County NS Canada GenWeb and/or it's contributors
TO NOVA SCOTIA GENWEB
Halifax County Genweb Project
gratefully acknowledges the following sources:
Historical Information on many
community pages is from : One
City...Many Communities" co - published by Halifax Regional
Municipality and Nimbus, funded By the HRM Millennium
Committee.Author : Alfreda Withrow.
Mapeeze: Free map linking on
Destination Nova Scotia.