Hunterdon County New Jersey 1834

A Gazetteer of the State of New Jersey

Alberson’s Brook
a tributary of Spruce Run, a fork of the south branch of the Raritan river, rises at the south foot of the Musconetcong mountain, and flows easterly by course of 7 or 8 miles to its recipient.

Alexandria
post town of Alexandria township, Hunterdon co., on the bank of the elaware river, at the junction of Nishisakawick creek with that stream, 11 miles west of Flemington, 35 north of Trenton, 189 from Washington, DC; contains a tavern, store, grist mill, and 8 or 10 dwellings, a Presbyterian and an Episcopalian church.

Alexandria
township, Hunterdon Co., bounded on the northeast by Bethlehem township, northwest by the Musconetcong creek, which separates it from Warren Co., and southwest by the river Delaware; centrally distant, northeast from Flemington, 12 miles; greatest length, East and West, 12 miles; breadth, North and South, 9 miles; area 33,000 acres. Surface on the north, mountainous, the Musconetcong mountain running northwest across the township. Soil, on the southeast, red shale; at the foot of the mountain, grey limestone; and on the mountain, clay, sand and loam. It is drained, southwest by the Nischisakawick, the Hakehokake, and other small mill streams. Alexandria, Milford, Mount Pleasant, and Pittstown are post towns of the township. Population in 1830, 3042. In 1832, the township contained 10 saw mills, 7 grist mills, 4 oil mills, 4 ferries and toll bridges, 6 distilleries, 8 stores, 861 horses, 1287 neat cattle above the age of 3 years; and it paid poor tax, $1000; road tax, $800; and state and county tax, $1413 48 cents.

Alexsocken Creek
a small mill stream of Amwell township, Hunterdon County, which flows westerly into the Delaware river, by a course of 5 or 6 miles, about a mile above Lambertville.

Amwell
township, Hunterdon co., bounded north by Lebanon township, northeast by Readington township, east, by Hillsborough township of Somerset Co., southeast by Hopewell township, and southwest by the river Delaware, and northwest by Ringwood township. Greatest length north and south, 16; breadth east and west, 15 miles; area, 77,000 acres; surface hilly on the northwest and SE; on the first, there being a clay ridge well timbered and productive, and on the latter, a chain of trap hills, rough, broken, and barren. The intervening space in undulating valley, of red shale, which, where covered with sufficient soil, is grateful for the care bestowed upon it, producing particularly fine crops of grass. The township is drained on the northeast by the south branch of the Raritan, on the northwest by the Laokatong and Wickhechecoke creeks; southwest by the Alexsocken and Smith’s creeks, on the south by Stony brook, flowing easterly to the Raritan river. Population in 1830 7385; in 1832, the township contained 2 Presbyterian churches, 4 stores, 8 fisheries, 15 saw mills, 21 grist mills, 3 oil mills, 2 ferries and toll bridges, 88 tan vats, 12 distilleries, 4 carding machines, 2 fulling mills; and it paid poor tax, $1200; road tax, $2500; State and county tax, $3722 62. Flemington, Sergeantsville, Ringoes, Prallsville, Lambertsville are post towns of the township.

Anthony
hamlet on Schooley’s mountain, Lebanon township, Hunterdon co., 18 miles northeast of Flemington, on Spruce run; contains a saw mill, and some half dozen dwellings.

Baptisttown
post town Ringwood township, Hunterdon co., 9 miles west of Flemington, 33 north of Trenton, and 197 from Washington, DC, contains a tavern, a store, 8 or 10 dwellings, and a Baptist church. There is a Presbyterian church within a mile of the town. The surrounding country is level, with soil of red shale, of good quality, and carefully cultivated.

Bethlehem
township, Hunterdon Co., bounded northwest by the Musconetcong river, which divides it from Warren co., northeast by Lebanon township, southeast by Ringwood, and southwest by Alexandria. Centrally distant northwest from Flemington, 13 miles; greatest length east and west 9 miles; breadth north and south 9 miles; area 25,000 acres; surface mountainous on the north, elsewhere hilly; soil, clay, red shale, and loam, with a vein of limestone on the cast foot of the Musconetcong mountain; drained chiefly by Alberson’s brook, a tributary of Spruce run, and some small tributaries of Musconetcong creek. Charleston, Bloomsbury, Hickory, Pattenburg, are villages of the township - Vansyckles and Perryville, post towns. Population in 1830, 2032. In 1832, the township contained a Presbyterian church, 3 stores, 3 saw mills, 5 grist mills, 1 oil mill, 25 tan vats, 5 distilleries, 480 horses, and mules, and 820 neat cattle above the age of 3 years; and paid poor tax, $900; road tax $700; county and state tax, $791 68.

Campbell’s Brook
rises at the foot of the mountain in Readington township, Hunterdon co., and flows by a southeast course of about 7 miles to the south branch of the Raritan river, in Bridgewater township, Somerset co.

Centreville
post office, Hunterdon co.; by post route, 189 miles from Washington, DC and 30 from Trenton.

Charleston
small village, in the northeast part of Bethlehem township, Hunterdon co., on the Musconetcong mountain, 13 miles north of Flemington.

Charleston
hamlet, of Kingwood township, Hunterdon co., 10 miles west of Flemington; contains a tavern, store, and several dwellings.

Clarksville (formerly called Sodom)
post town of Lebanon township, Hunterdon co., on Spruce run, and on the Musconetcong mountain, on the western line of the township, 14 miles north of Flemington, 37 from Trenton; contains 1 tavern and store, 2 saw mills, 2 grist mills, and 6 or 8 dwellings; the surface is very rough and stony, but parts are productive; iron abounds in the mountains, and plumbago is also found in several places up it, near the village.

Clinton formerly called Hunt’s Mills
post town of Hunterdon co. on the south branch of Raritan river, at the point of junction of Lebanon, Bethlehem, and Kingwood townships, lying partly in each, and on the turnpike road leading from Somerville to Easton; about 20 miles from the former, and 17 from the latter; 10 miles northeast from Flemington, 33 from Trenton, and 210 from Washington, DC. The town is built in a valley surrounded on all sides by hills, which on the north northeast and northwest approach closely to it, but are more distant on the south. It contains 1 Presbyterian church, 1 common English, and a Sunday school, 2 large grist mills, 2 runs of stones each, an oil mill, at which from 8000 to 10,000 bushels of flaxseed are annually manufactured, a woolen manufactory, with fulling mill and cards for country work, 3 stores, 3 taverns, and 35 dwellings. The fall used at the water-works here, is 8½ feet only, but a very great power may be obtained, the stream having a very rapid descent, and large volume. The surrounding country is very fertile, and carefully tilled, being enriched by lime made from a grey stone, which in a broad vein skirts the Musconetcong mountain, and which rises in cliffs at the village, nearly 100 feet high. The average product in wheat here, is rated at 18 bushels the acre, and from the best farms 25 bushels the acre are obtained. Iron ore, and plumbago, abound in the neighbouring mountain, and the inhabitants look for increased prosperity from a rail-road contemplated to be made through their town, leading from Elizabethtown to Belvidere. The town lies 177 feet above tide water. By act of 19th February, 1833, authority was given to incorporate a company for any species of manufacture here, with a capital of $120,000.

Cold Brook
small tributary of Lamington river, flowing into it southwest from Tewkesbury township, Hunterdon co., by a course of about 4 miles, giving motion to a mill near its mouth.

Dogtown
a mountain hamlet, on the line separating Amwell from Kingwood township, Hunterdon co., 5 miles northwest from Flemington; contains a tavern, a wheelwright ship, and two or three cottages.

Everittstown
Alexandria township, Hunterdon co., 11 miles northwest of Flemington, upon the Nischisakawick creek, contains 1 tavern, a grist mill, a Methodist church, and several dwellings.

Fairview or Quakertown
post town of Kingwood township, Hunterdon co., 7 miles northwest of Flemington, 29 from Trenton, and 188 from Washington, DC; contains a Quaker meeting house, 2 stores, a tavern, and some 12 or 15 dwellings, and several mechanics’ shops. The soil here is a stiff clay which is becoming fertile by the use of lime.

Flemington
post town of Hunterdon co., situate at the northern extremity of the valley, lying between Rock mountain and Mount Carmel, and near the southeast foot of the latter, and 2 miles east of the south branch of the Raritan river, 23 miles north from Trenton, 45 from Philadelphia, and 182 from Washington, DC, 25 northwest from Brunswick and 25 southeast from Easton; the two last are the principle markets for this portion of the county. The surface for many miles south and east is gently undulating; the valley between the mountains extending about 8 miles; the soil is of red shale, underlaid by the old red sandstone formation, and if not generous in spontaneous production, is grateful for the careful cultivation it receives, yielding abundance of grass, wheat, rye, oats Indian corn, and flax; of the last, many farmers sow from 12 to 15 acres, for the product of which they find a ready market at Philadelphia. The town is also famed for excellent cheese, made at the extensive dairy of Mr. Capner. Much attention is also given here to raising horses, of which the breeds are greatly admired, and eagerly sought for. The town contains 50 dwellings, and about 300 inhabitants; a very neat Presbyterian church, of stone, built about 35 since; a Methodist church, of brick, a neat building; and a Baptist church, of wood; two schools, one of which is an incorporated academy, and 3 sunday schools; a public library, under the care of a company also incorporated; a court-house, of stone, rough-cast, having a Grecian front, with columns of the Ionic order. The basement story of this building is used as the county prison: the second, contains an uncommonly large and well disposed room for the court: the third, a grand jury room; and other apartments. From the cupola, which surmounts the structure, there is a delightful prospect of the valley, bounded by mountains on the south and southwest, but almost unlimited on the southeast, and of the hill which rises by a graceful and gentle slope of the north and northwest, ornamented with well cultivated farms to its very summit. The houses, built upon one street, are neat and comfortable, with small court yards in front, redolent with flowers, aromatic shrubs and creeping vines. The county offices, detached from the court- house , are of brick and fire-proof. There are here, 5 lawyers, 2 physicians,; a journal, published weekly, called the Hunterdon Gazette, edited by Mr. Charles George; a fire engine, with an incorporated fire association. The name of the place is from its founder, Mr. Fleming, who resided here before the revolution. A valuable deposit of copper is said to have been lately found here.

Hakehokake Creek
rises in Alexandria township, Hunterdon co., and flows southwest by a course of 6 or 7 miles, to the Delaware river, three miles above the town of Alexandria, passing by Mount Pleasant, and giving motion to several mills.

Hickory
small hamlet of Bethlehem township, Hunterdon co., 12 miles northwest of Flemington, at the south foot of the Musconetcong mountain, and on the line dividing Bethlehem from Alexandria township.

Holland’s Brook
tributary of the south branch of the Raritan river, rises in Readington township, Hunterdon co., and flows by a southeast course of about 7 miles to its recipient in Bridgewater township, Somerset Co.

Jacksonville
on the line between Lebanon and Tewkesbury township, Hunterdon co., about 11 miles north of Flemington, and on the turnpike road from Somerville to Easton; contains a tavern, store, grist mill, and 2 or 3 dwellings.

Kingwood
township, Hunterdon co., bounded northeast by Lebanon, southeast by Amwell, west by the Delaware river, and northwest by Bethlehem township. Centrally distant west from Flemington 7 miles; greatest length northeast and southwest 17, breadth east and west 7 miles; area, 35312 acres; surface, hilly and rolling; soil, red shale, clay, and loam; in many places fertile and well cultivated. The tract known as the Great Swamp, extends on the top of the mountain into this township, and is alike remarkable for its fine timber and extraordinary fertility. The township is drained southwardly by the Laokatong creek. Baptisttown, Fairview, Dogtown, Charleston, and Millstown are villages and hamlets of the township; at the first there is a post office, and there is another office bearing the name of the township. Population in 1830, 2898. In 1832 there were in the township 4 stores, 7 saw mills, 7 grist mills, and 1 oil mill, 7 distilleries, 2 carding machines, 733 horses and mules, and 1347 neat cattle, above the age of 3 years; and the township paid state and county tax, $1323 75.

Lambertsville
post town of Amwell township, Hunterdon co., 11 miles southwest from Flemington, 16 north from Trenton, and 170 from Washington, DC; a thriving, pleasant village, on the bank of the Delaware river, opposite to the town of New Hope, containing 1 Baptist and 1 Presbyterian church, 2 schools, one of which is a boarding school, under the care of the Rev. Mr. Studdiford, and more than 30 dwellings, many of which are neat and commodious. A turnpike road runs from the town to New Brunswick, and a fine bridge is thrown over the river by a joint stock company, with a capital of $160,000, incorporated in 1812, by the Legislatures of Pennsylvania and New Jersey; built in 1814. It is supported on 9 stone piers; length between the abutments 1050 feet, width 33 feet, elevation above the water 21 feet; roofed. The company for some time employed a portion of its capital in banking operations.

Laokatong Creek
a fine mill stream of Kingwood township, Hunterdon co., rises in the township and flows southwest 10 or 12 miles into the river Delaware; it gives motion in its course to several mills.

Lebanon
township, Hunterdon co., bounded northeast by Washington township, Morris co., east by Readington and Tewkesbury townships, south by Kingwood township, west by Bethlehem, northwest by Musconetcong creek, which divides it from Mansfield township, Warren Co. Greatest length north and south 15 miles; breadth east and west 7 miles; area, 42,000 acres; surface mountainous, and generally hilly; soil, clay and loam on the hills, with grey limestone in the valleys; in parts rich and well cultivated. The Musconetcong mountain and its spurs cover the greater part of the northern part, and there are some high hills on the southeast, encircling Round Valley. It is drained by Spruce run and the south branch of Raritan river, the latter forming part of the eastern and the south-eastern boundary, and crossing the township from Morris county. The turnpike road from Somerville to Philipsburg, runs westerly through the township, by the towns of Lebanon and Clinton. New Hampton and Sodom, or Clarkesville, are post towns of the township. Population in 1830, 3436. The township contained in 1832, 13 saw mills, 16 grist mills, 2 oil mills, 87 tan vats, 1 distillery for grain, 11 distilleries for cider, 2 carding machines, 2 fulling mills, 886 horses, and 1540 neat cattle, above the age of 3 years; and it paid poor tax, $1100; road tax, 800; and county and state tax, $1585 36.

Lebanon
post town of Lebanon township, Hunterdon co., centrally situated, upon the turnpike road leading from Somerville to Philipsburg; 11 miles north of Flemington, 47 from Trenton, and 211 from Washington, DC; contains 1 tavern, 1 store, and several dwellings. There is a Dutch Reformed church in the neighbourhood.

Mattison’s Corner
post office Hunterdon co., by post route 185 miles from W. C., and 26 from Trenton..

Millford
village of Alexandria township, Hunterdon co., on the river Delaware, at the confluence of small creek with that stream, 13 miles northwest from Flemington, and 40 from Trenton; contains a tavern, store, grist mill, 2 saw mills, and from 15 to 20 dwellings, a Presbyterian church, and a church of Unitarians, which styles itself Christian, and which admits females to participate in the ministry. This is a place of considerable business, particularly in the lumber trade.

Milltown
a small village in the southern part of Kingwood township, Hunterdon co., on the Laokatong creek, 10 miles southwest from Flemington; contains a mill, store, and 8 or 10 dwellings.

Mount Carmel
a mountain hamlet of Amwell township, Hunterdon co., 3 miles northwest from Flemington; contains a tavern and some 4 or 5 dwellings, and a store. The soil around it is very clay, cold, and at present not very productive, but it is improvable by the use of lime.

Mount Pleasant
post town, Alexandria township, Hunterdon co., 9 miles northwest from Flemington, 43 from Trenton, and 196 from Washington, DC, on the Hakehokake creek; contains a church, grist mill, store, and some half dozen dwellings.

Nashanic Mountain or Rock Mountain
part of the chain of trap hills which extends from below Lambertsville, on the Delaware, to the Raritan river, near Somerville; it is the largest and most prominent of the chain; is about 11 miles long and about 3 miles over at its widest part. Rock brook, a tributary of Beden’s brook, almost passes through it..

New Germantown
post town of Tewkesbury township, Hunterdon co., on the turnpike road, leading from Lamington to Schooley’s mountain, 14 miles northeast from Flemington, 45 from Trenton, and 211 from Washington, DC; contains about 30 dwellings, 1 tavern, 3 stores, 1 Lutheran, 1 Methodist, and a Presbyterian, church and an academy. The town lies near the foot of a spur of the Musconetcong mountain, and is surrounded by a rich and highly cultivated limestone soil, in which there are masses of brescia or pudding limestone, which are perhaps equal in beauty, to that in the capitol at Washington.

New Hampton
post town of Lebanon township, Hunterdon co., in the northwest angle on the south side of Musconetcong creek, and on the turnpike leading to Oxford furnace, 18 miles northwest from Flemington, 41 from Trenton, and 200 from Washington, DC; contains 1 grist mill, 1 saw mill, 2 stores, and 3 taverns, and from 20 to 25 dwellings.

New Market
village of Amwell township, Hunterdon co., 8 miles south of Flemington; contains a tavern and store, 6 or 8 dwellings. Snydertown, a small hamlet, divided from it by a branch of Stony creek; contains a grist mill, and 2 or 3 dwellings; the surrounding country is hilly, stony, and poor.

Nishisakawick Creek
rises in Alexandria township, Hunterdon co., and flows southwest into the Delaware river, by a course of 7 or 8 miles, at the town of Alexandria.

Pattenbury
small village of Bethlehem township at the south foot of Musconetcong mountain, on Alberson’s brook, 12 miles northwest of Flemington, Hunterdon co., contains a grist mill, a store, 6 dwellings. Soil, red shale, through or near which a vein of limestone probably passes.

Paxton’s Island
in the Delaware river, Amwell township, Hunterdon co.

Perryville
small post town of Bethlehem township, Hunterdon co., on the turnpike road from Somerville to Philipsburg, about 10 miles north of Flemington, 35 from Trenton, and 194 from Washington, DC.

Pittstown
Alexandria township, Hunterdon co., on the line of Kingwood township and on a tributary of the S branch of the Raritan river, 8 miles northwest of Flemington, 31 from Trenton, and 190 from Washington, DC; contains 1 tavern, 1 store, a grist mill, and between 15 and 20 dwellings. The soil around it is clay, cold and poor; surface hilly.

Pottersville
post town of Hunterdon co., on the line separating Readington from Tewkesbury township and on the turnpike road leading from Somerville to Phillipsburg, 10 miles northeast from Flemington, 43 miles from Trenton, and 211 from Washington, DC; contains a tavern store, and a few dwellings.

Potter’s Falls
on the Lamington river, at the angle of junction of Hunterdon, Morris, and Somerset cos.

Prallsville
post town of Amwell township, Hunterdon co., on the river Delaware, 10 miles southwest from Flemington, 20 north from Trenton, and 174 from Washington, DC; contains 1 store, 1 tavern, some 6 or 8 dwellings, and a grist mill, at the mouth of the Wickhechecoke creek. There is a fine bridge here over the Delaware, erected on stone piers, by an incorporated company. The surrounding country is hilly.

Quakertown
See Fairview.

Readington
township, Hunterdon co., bounded north by Tewkesbury township; east by Bridgewater township, Somerset co.; south and southwest by Amwell township; west by Kingwood, and northwest by Bethlehem township. Centrally distant northwest from Flemington 8 miles; length north and south 12 miles; breadth east and west 7 ½ miles; surface, hilly, except on the southeast where it is level; soil, red shale, clay, and loam. The South Branch of the Raritan river, flows on the southwest, south, and southeast of the township, and receives from it Campbell’s and Holland’s Brooks. The northern part is drained by Rockaway creek and its branches. Population in 1830, 2102. In 1832 there were in the township 7 merchants, 5 saw mills, 7 grist mills, 6 distilleries, 2 carding machines, and 2 fulling mills, 705 horses and mules, 1200 neat cattle over 3 years of age. The township paid state and county taxes, $1323 75. White House and Potterstown are post towns of the township.

Ringoestown
post town of Amwell township, Hunterdon co., 6 miles S of Flemington 17 north of Trenton, and 176 northeast from Washington, DC; contains 1 tavern, 3 stores, 1 Presbyterian church, an academy, and 26 dwellings, saddlery, and smith shop, cotton and wollen factory, and grist mill. This is a delightful village, lying in the valley immediately at the foot of Rock mountain, and upon a soil of loam, composed of red shale and clay, very deep, and highly cultivated in grain and grass. Lands immediately round the village, readily bring $100 the acre, and those more distant in he valley, $50 the acre.

Rocky Hill
one of the chain of trap rock hills, which extend from the Delaware, below Lambertsville, northeast across the state, in Amwell township, Hunterdon co., and in Montgomery township, Somerset co., about 2 miles north of Princeton. The surface of this hill is rugged; soil, deep clay, covered with heavy timber. It extends east and west about 6 miles, to the Millstone river, which seems to have forced a passage through it.

Rockaway Creek
Hunterdon co., rises by two branches; one from the northern part of Tewksbury township, and the other from the western border of Readington township, uniting in the latter township, and thence flowing into Lamington river, or the north branch of the Raritan. By its longest arm the stream has a course of 12 miles. It is a fine, rapid mill stream.

Rock Brook
tributary of Beden’s Brook, rises in the Neshanic mountain, Amwell township, Hunterdon co., and by a southeast course of about 6 miles, unites with its recipient near the centre of Montomery township, Somerset co.

Rock Mountain
fills the southeast angle of Amwell township, and the northeast angle of Hopewell township, Hunterdon co., and extends northeast into Somerset Co., having a length of about 10 miles, with a very irregular breadth. On the north it sends forth tributaries to the south branch of the Raritan river, and on the south side to the Millstone river. The hill is of trap rock, imposed on old, red sandstone.

Rocktown
small hamlet, of Amwell township, Hunterdon co., 7 miles S. of Flemington; contains 1 tavern, 1 store, and some 2 or 3 dwellings. It lies in the pass through the Rock mountain, and is named from the abundance of large rocks around it.

Round Valley
in the southeast angle of Lebanon township, Hunterdon co., nearly surrounded by mountains; drained by Piscot Brook, a tributary of the south branch of the Raritan river.

Sargeantsville
post-town of Amwell township, Hunterdon co., 6 miles southwest from Flemington, 23northfrom Trenton and 177 northeast from Washington, DC; contains a tavern, store, and some 6 or 8 dwellings. Surrounding country hilly and poor; lands rated at $20 per acre. Hear this village, on a farm of 150 acres, Mr. R. Rittenhouse has established the Mantua Manual Labour Institute, with accommodations for about 30 students, and the purpose to increase them as they may be required. At this institute are taught the Greek and Latin languages, and all other branches of learning, taught at similar institutions. About three hours every day, Saturday and Sunday excepted, are employed in manual labour, by the students, for which they receive reasonable compensation. The charge for tuition, board, washing, lodging, candles, and fuel, is $25 per quarter.

Saxtonville
small hamlet of Amwell township, Hunterdon co., on the river Delaware, 12 miles southwest from Flemington; contains some 3 or 4 dwellings; named from the proprietor.

Sodom
Lebanon township, Hunterdon co., (See Clarksville)

Spruce Run
Lebanon township, Hunterdon co., flows southwest through the north part of the township, and along the west boundary, and is a branch of the Raritan river.

Spring Mills
village of Alexandria township, Hunterdon co., 13 miles northwest from Flemington, on a small stream, which empties into the Delaware; contains a grist mill, and several dwellings.

Tewkesbury
township, Hunterdon co., bounded north by Washington township, Morris co.; east by Bedminster township, Somerset co.; south by Readington township, and west and southwest by Lebanon township; centrally distant northeast from Flemington, 14 miles; greatest length, north and south, 8; breadth, east and west 6 ½ miles; area, 23,000 acres; surface hilly; soil, on the mountain, clay and loam, and in the valley, at its foot, grey limestone, rich and well cultivated; drained by Rockaway creek, and it tributaries, flowing southeast through the township, and by Lamington river, which runs on the eastern boundary. New Germantown, and Potterville, are post-towns of the township. Population in 1830, 1659. In 1832 the township contained 8 stores, 6 saw mills, 3 grist mills, 28 tanner’s vats, 2 carding machines, 2 fulling mills, 9 distilleries, 417 horses and mules, 696 neat cattle, above 3 years of age; and paid poor tax, $350; road tax, $600,; state and county tax, $706 68.

Vansickles
tavern, store, and post-office, of Bethlehem township, Hunterdon co., on the south east foot of the Musconetcong mountain, 10 miles north west from Flemington, 36 from Trenton, and 195 from Washington, DC

White Hall
hamlet on Schooley’s mountain, Lebanon township, Hunterdon co., 18 miles northeast of Flemington; contains a store, tavern, smith shop and 4 or 5 dwellings.

White House
post town of Readington township, Hunterdon co., 10 miles northeast of Flemington, 33 from Trenton, and 196 from Washington, DC, upon Rockaway creek; contains a grist mill, some 12 or 15 dwellings, 3 stores, 3 taverns, and a Presbyterian or Dutch Reformed church. The surface of the country around it is hilly; soil, loam, clay, and red shale.

Wickhechecoke Creek
rises by two branches in the hills, on the northwest of Amwell township, Hunterdon co., and flows by a southerly course of 10 miles, into the Delaware, giving motion to several mills.
 


This page maintained by Al Sinclair
njysprez@optonline.net
This page last modified on June 01, 2002

© 1998-2002 Al Sinclair