Colonel Thomas Reynolds Chapter, NSDAR

History of Jersey City and Hudson County

Jersey City has an amazing history dating back to 1623, when the Dutch settled the area. Part of the American Revolution was fought in this area, and both the Marquis de Lafayette and General Cornwallis had headquarters in the area during the war.

Pictured below are a few of our historic sites in and near Jersey City. For additional information, please visit at least one of the sites listed below.

Jersey City History
Jersey City Past and Present
Revolutionary War New Jersey / Hudson County

 

Van Vorst Farmhouse

 

The Van Vorst Farmhouse
531 Palisades Ave
Jersey City, NJ 07306

The Van Vorst Farmhouse was built about the year 1740. It is acknowledged as the oldest home in Jersey City, and the second oldest building still standing in Hudson County.

The farmhouse consists of two stories, with a peaked roof, a facade of bluestone, and a quaint portico. English ivy and white trim serve as architectural highlights.

Old Bergen Church

 

Old Bergen Church
1 Highland Ave
Jersey City, NJ 07306

The Old Bergen Church was founded in 1660 by early Dutch settlers in Hudson County. It is one of the oldest churches in New Jersey and remains the longest continuous congregation in the state.

At one time, the Bergen-Paulus Hook Chapter held its meetings at the church.

Apple Tree House

 

Apple Tree House
298 Academy St.
Jersey City, NJ 07306

The Apple Tree House, also known as the Van Wagenan House, is an historic property that is deeply rooted in local lore. During the Revolutionary War, it was used as a headquarters by the Marquis de Lafayette because the view from the property was ideal for military reconnaissance. It is said that General George Washington and the Marquis de Lafayette ate lunch under the shade of an apple tree on the property. The Apple Tree House was saved recently from demolition and is undergoing full restoration.

Paulus Hook Marker

 

Paulus Hook Fort Site
Washington St. and Grand St.
Jersey City, NJ 07302

Paulus Hook Fort was the site of the Battle of Paulus Hook on August 19, 1779. Major Henry "Light Horse Harry" Lee led 300 Continental soldiers in a surprise attack on the British fort at Paulus Hook. In 1903, a monument memorializing the battle was installed through the efforts of the members of the Paulus Hook Chapter NSDAR.

Loew's Theater

 

The Loew's Jersey Theater
54 Journal Square
Jersey City, NJ 07306

Opened on September 28, 1929, Loew's Theater was described as “the most lavish temple of entertainment in New Jersey.” Now restored to its former glory, Loew's is a not-for-profit arts center.

Burr-Hamilton Dueling Ground

 

Hamilton-Burr Dueling Ground
Hamilton Ave.
Weehawken, NJ 07086

The Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton Dueling Ground is the site of their 1804 duel, in which Hamilton was mortally wounded. The site is identified by historical markers. The dueling ground in Weehawken was a popular location for duels during the period when this was the manner in which many men defended their honor.

CRRNJ Terminal

The Central Railroad of New Jersey Terminal
Liberty State Park
1 Audrey Zapp Dr.
Jersey City, NJ 07305

The Central Railroad of New Jersey Terminal was the waterfront passenger terminal at the mouth of the Hudson River. For many years, it was the first stop for immigrants when they left Ellis Island. Today, the terminal is part of Liberty State Park.

 

return to top

divider bar

The DAR Insignia is the property of, and is copyrighted by, the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.