Franklin, New Hampshire History  

The following history is from "The History of Merrimack and Belknap Counties, New Hampshire". Edited by D. Hamilton Hurd and Published in 1885.

History of Franklin

                  History of Franklin, Merrimack Co, New Hampshire

The town of Franklin, lies in the northeastern part of the county, and 
is bounded as follows:
On the North and East, by Hill, Belknap Co. and Northfield; on the 
South, by Boscawen; and on the West by Salisbury and Andover.

The territory embraced within the bounds of the present town of 
Franklin originally comprised a portion of the towns of Sanborton, 
Salisbury, Andover and Northfield. 

The first settlement of the town was made in 1748, near the Webster 
place, where a fort was built and occupied for several months. To 
Philip Cail and his son Stephen is ascribed the honor of having been 
the first permanent settlers within the bounds of the present town, at 
that time a portion of Salisbury. Nathaniel Malven and Sinkler Bean 
were pioneers in the western part of the town. In 1749 Malven, with his 
wife and three children, were captured by the Indians and taken to 
Canada, where they remained several years.. The few pioneers were in 
constant dread of the Indians who roamed through this section, sparing 
neither women  nor children from their murderous assaults. The wife of 
Philip Call was killed by the Indians in August, 1754, her husband 
witnessing the deed while secreted unarmed nearby. It is said that her 
daughter-inlaw, with her grandchild, escaped from the savages by 
concealment in the chimney. Peter and John Bowen settled on the 
"Burleigh place" in about 1748.

John and Ezekiel Webster, cousins, ( penciled in the margin is a note 
that this was actually John and Ebenezer Webster, Uncle and Nephew ) 
settled in the town in 1759 or '60. The latter was the father of 
Ezekiel and Daniel Webster. Ephraim Collins was also one of the 
pioneers. He settled in about 1752, and his grave-stone is the earliest 
in the lower grave-yard, near the Webster place. Jacob Morrill, Tristan 
Quimby and Benjamin Sanborn were among the early settlers at the Lower 
village. "In 1767 there came from Epping, James Cate, Sr., whose wife 
had been saving seeds from their best apples all the winter before, for 
the orchard they would plant in their new home! They settled on the 
late Edward Wyatt place, in Franklin. Some of the apple-trees from 
those seeds were still remaining a few years since. (Runnels)

The settlement at what is now known as the Upper village consisted of 
only one house and a grist-mill until after the Revolution.

Ebenezer Eastman, of honored memory, was the founder of the village. He 
came here when only twenty-seven years of age; was a man of property, 
ability and great energy. He built a saw-mill, kept the village tavern, 
conducted a farm and was extensively engaged in lumbering. His 
homestead was the "Webster Home". He died in 1833. A few years later 
the village received an enterprising spirit in the person of Captain 
Ebenezar Blanchard, who came from Northfield. He was a man of great 
energy and contributed largely in advancing the material interests of 
the town. He was the father of Mrs. Stephen Kenrick.

Among other settlers were James and Isaac Proctor and James Garland.

The Manufacturing Interests.
The first mill in this town was the old "town-mill," of the original 
town of Sanbornton. By the provisions of the first Masonian charter, 
"twenty acres (says Mr. Runnels) were to be assigned in some suitable 
place for a sawmill, and whoever should build the first mill within 
three years might own the land and have the privilege of sawing the
'loggs of share-owners and other inhabitants thare, to the halves for 
the teerm of ten years next after the said mill first starts.' If none 
should appear to build thus within three years, the owners of shares 
were to undertake to build the mill at their expense, and put it under 
such regulntions that all the inhabitants might be 'seasonably and 
reasonably served with bords and other timber sawed' for building 

The town-mill  site  was established on Salmon Brook. First action of 
the grantees was April 21, 1763, — meeting held at Joseph Hoit's, in 
Stratham, — when it was voted that a saw-mill be built and maintained 
on that first established site, "agreaibel to Charter ; " that it be 
completed by October 10th ; that " whoever builds it shall have £1000, 
old tenner, and the mill priviledg." At a meeting, June 6th, the 
privileges of mill-builder were accorded to Daniel Sanborn, under the 
oversight of the selectmen. Time extended to November 20th ; but even 
then the mill had not been built, as February 6, 1764, " Voted not to 
release Daniel Sanborn, Jun., from his obligation to build a mill," 
which, accordingly, had been completed that spring, and was soon after 
carried away by a freshet. Hence the proprietors voted, July 9, 1764, 
to give Daniel Sanborn, Jr., five hundred pounds, old tenor, " to build 
a saw-mill in the rome of that which he lost ; " also that a grist-mill 
be built by the proprietors within fifteen months. But afterwards, 
October 8th, at a meeting in Exeter, permission was given Mr. Sanborn 
" to build his sawmill in Sanbornton, on Winepisocke River, ner the 
brige [thus changing the location], provided he build a grist-mill, 
with or near the saw-mill, within the specified time."

Tradition supplies an account of this first mill, on Salmon Brook, in 
what is now Franklin, as follows : That the foundation had been laid 
the fall before, — at site of bridge leading to the late Albert G. 
Morrison house, — without a dam, trees being simply felled from one 
ledge over to the other ; that Edward Shaw drew up the mill-irons from 
Exeter on a hand-sled, in March, only to find the foundation all washed
away, and finally, that by June the mill thus " built between the 
ledges" was completed and went into operation, and that a log was 
actually sawn before the fatal freshet alluded to, so the mill-site was 
claimed !

After standing neglected for several years, a Mr. Adams built the first
 permanent mill on or a little above this original town-mill site. It 
was, however, early purchased and enlarged by Mr. Bradbury Morrison, 
and being extensively used by three generations in his family, — 
himself, several of his sons, and recently by his grandson, the late 
Albert G.,— the whole group has ever been known, and will be for years 
to come, as the Morrison Mills. Another saw-mill, with a grist-mill, 
tended by Bradbury Morrison, Sr., and a blacksmith's and trip-hammer
shop for the ingenious Ebenezer Morrison, stood some twenty rods below 
the main dam, carried by water from the same by a sluice-way. Nathan S.
Morrison and Captain Levi Thompson also had an interest in this mill 
and shop, which were burned in 1836. Forty rods below these last, on 
the flat, Albert G. Morrison, with his uncles, Bradbury, Jr., and 
George W., had also a planing and shingle-mill, which were likewise 
burned about 1850.

At the main dam, the first planing-mill in this part of the country was 
erected by William Greene, its first starting being " celebrated," it 
is said, by large potations of potato whiskey. This was swept away by 
the February freshet of 1824. Of late years there have been a saw-mill 
above, and a shingle, lath and planing-mill below the bridge and 
original site, the latter built by A. G. Morrison between 1845 and 
1850. The present occupants and chief owners of the whole are Giles & 
Knapp. The privilege must always remain a valuable one, as the fall is 
from seventy-five to one hundred feet between the upper mill and the 
Pemigewasset, at which it is not surprising that " immense quantities 
of lumber " were rafted from these mills in earlier times, when they 
were surrounded by "the heaviest and finest pine timber."

When Jeremiah Sanborn settled at Franklin Falls, in 1778, the Folsom 
saw-mill was standing, erected, probably, in about 1772. This was at 
the upper bridge.

The first mill (says Mr. Runnels) was soon carried down by a freshet, 
and Mr. Sanborn rebuilt on the Northfield side, where one of his old 
sills was, till very recently, to be seen imbedded in the wall just 
above the bridge. This mill, with an added gristmill, was again 
transferred to the Sanbornton side, though extending over the edge of 
the river for some little distance, and its site was occupied, after 
1810, by the Jonathan Sanborn fulling or clothing-mill, which was 
itself succeeded by the old " red mill," two stories high, for making 
satinet and cotton yarn. This, after lying unused for several years, 
was burned. The same site was later occupied by the Sleeper Bros., 
door, sash and blind manufacturers.

THE GRANITE MILL was erected in 1822 by John Cavender, Thomas Baker, 
John Smith, John and Charles Tappen and John Long at Franklin Falls. 
This was burned in about 1855.

THE FRANKLIN MILLS (woolen), erected in 1863, gave a new impetus to the 
village. These mills are now leased by M. T. Stevens.

THE WINNIPISEOGEE PAPER COMPANY.'—The so-called " Upper Dam," at 
Franklin Falls, was built about 1852 for a large hosiery-mill, two 
stories high, of stone, which was erected the same year, and operated 
by the Franklin Mills Company, also by the Xesmith Brothers (George W. 
and John N., of Low-ell, Mass.), associated with K. O. Peabody. The 
boarding-houses—two less in number than at present
—were built the next season. This mill was only run three or four 
years, and then burned. Its site is now occupied by one of the pulp-
mills of the Winnipiseogee Paper Company, which was first built in 1868 
for the grinding of poplar-wood, and was built over in 1879.

—This mill was built in 1864 by Frank H. Daniell and A. W. Sulloway. 
In the spring of 1865 it was started under the name of Sulloway & 
Daniell and ran two sets of cards, making Shakers' socks. In 1867 one 
aet cards were added and run on Shaker flannel and hosiery. In 1869, 
Mr. Daniell sold his interest to Mr. Sulloway. In 1871 the mill ceased 
making flannel, and has made hosiery altogether ever since. In 1873 was 
added a fourth set of cards. The mill now manufactures three hundred 
dozens per day man's and boys' socks. Employs ninety-five to one 
hundred hands.

For history of manufacturing interests of Walter Aiken, see biography.


Petition of Ebenezer Eastman and others for Incorporation of Town— The 
Movement Opposed by Andover, Salisbury, Sanbornton and 
Northfield—Report of Legislative Committee—Incorporation of Town —First
Town-Meeting—Officers Elected.

IN 1825 a petition was presented to the Legislature, signed by Ebenezer 
Eastman and others, praying for the organization of a new town from 
portions of Andover, Salisbury, Sanbornton and Northfield. This was met
 with opposition from various persons in the towns, whose territory it 
was sought to curtail, and if not a long, certainly a sharp contest 
ensued. During a portion of the time the subject was under discussion 
the old towns employed as counsel E. X.Woodbury, while Parker Noyes 
guarded the interests of the embryo town. Hon. George W. Nesmith also 
was interested in the organization of the new town.

The following is a copy of the report of the committee appointed by the 
Legislature to act on the subject:

" To the Honorable Speaker of the Hovse of Representatives:
" The undersigned, a committee appointed on the petition of Ebenezer
Eastman and others, praying for the incorporation of a new town, to be 
formed out of parts of the town of Salisbury, Andover, Sanbornton and

" That they met at Salisbury on the twenty-ninth of September last, for 
the purpose, as required by the vote of the House, of 'viewing the 
ground from which the contemplated new town is to be taken, and hearing 
all parties interested.' From causes not within the control of the 
committee the several towns had not been notifled in the manner 
required by the vote of the House. Having, however, been informed of 
the intended meeting of the committee, they attended by their 
respective agents, who all expressed their readiness, at that time, to 
proceed with the examination. The committee accordingly accompanied the 
agent of the petitioners and the respective town agents to such parts 
of the several towns and villages as the parties in interest thought 
proper to point out. In their various examinations and in the several 
hearings of the different agents and individuals interested the 
committee spent four days. The result of this very full investigation 
was an unanimous opinion, on the part of the committee, that the prayer 
of the petitioners is reasonable and ought to be granted. With respect 
to the several towns, out of which it is proposed that the new town 
should be taken, it may be stated, as the result of the committee's 
inquiries on this point, that those parts of Salisbury, Sanbornton and 
Northfield which are without the limits of the new town are generally 
opposed to the division of their territory; that the people of Andover 
are divided on the petition, those who reside near the present centre 
of that town being for the most part opposed to the incorporation of a 
new town, and those in the western and eastern parts in favor of it; 
and that, of the inhabitants of the proposed new town itself, those 
belonging to Salisbury and Andover are in favor of its incorporation, 
those in Northfleld are divided and those in Sanbornton opposed to it.

"The objections on the part of these towns are very fully stated in the 
remonstrances, and other papers, which accompany this report. Some of 
these objections appeared to the committee not to be sustained by the 
facts in the case, others they have endeavored to obviate by the limits 
which they have assigned to the new town, and of the remainder, such of 
them as have any real weight are, in their opinion greatly overbalanced 
by other and more important considerations in favor of the new town. 
That inconvenience should result to some individuals is to be expected, 
aa a matter of course, in all proposed changes of this kind. But, in 
the present instance, the individuals injuriously affected are few in 
number, and the injury which they will sustain inconsiderable compared 
with the advantages which will accrue from the proposed change. Within 
the limits proposed for the new town there is already a population 
equal to that of the average number given by more than one-half of the 
towns in the State. The number of rateable polls, as near as the 
committee could ascertain, is 187, of which number 75 belong to 
Salisbury, 48 to Sanbornton, 37 to Northfleld and 27 to Andover. There 
have recently been erected on the banks of the Winnipiseogee river, 
within the limits of the proposed new town, a paper-mill and cotton 
manufactory, both of which are now in full and successful operation. 
From the great falls in this and other streams in that vicinity and the 
inexhaustible supply of water, there is reason to believe that very 
extensive manufacturing establishments and other works requiring water-
power will, at no distant period, be erected at or near this spot, in 
addition to those already there. Even without these contemplated 
improvements, which would of course bring along with them a 
considerable increase of inhabitants, the number at this time living 
within the proposed limits, and the amount of business transacted at 
the villages along the river, seems to entitle them to the ordinary 
privilege of being incorporated into a town by themselves.

"Many of the petitioners live at a great distance from the centre of 
business in their respective towns, and have far to go over rough roads 
to attend the annual and other public town-meetings. Their local 
situation, on the contrary, is such that they come easily and 
frequently together in the course of business at the village near the 
bridge. At this village a handsome church has been lately built, in 
which, besides the accommodation which it furnishes as a place of 
religious worship, the public meetings of the new town may be 
conveniently held. It may be here added, while speaking of public 
establishments, that a well-endowed Literary Institution—' Noyes 
School'—has within a few years been founded within the proposed limits 
of the new town, and that, within the same limits, there is also a 
Post-Office. The objection that the new town, if created, will be 
divided by the Pemigewasset, which passes through it, is in a great 
measure obviated by the fact that there is a good bridge over this 
stream near the meeting-house, and that the roads are so arranged as to 
meet generally at this point. It was said that this bridge might be 
swept away by the sudden rise of the stream, and this is certainly 
true; but it is equally true that this bridge is too much used, both by 
people in the vicinity and by travellers from a distance, to leave any 
doubt as to its being kept constantly in repair. With some improvements 
on the Merrimack, which have been long contemplated, that river would 
be navigable up to the junction of the Winnipissiogee with the 
Pemigewasset, which takes place near the centre of the contemplated new 
town, about seventeen miles from Concord. In that event the new town 
would be situated at the head of navigation on the Merrimack. It was 
urged on the part of Northfield that the creation of the new town would 
deprive them of so many of their inhabitants as not to leave them the 
number of rateable polls required by the Constitution to entitle towns 
to a representative to the General Court. This objection would have had 
much influence with the committee if they had found it well supported 
by the facts in the case. But the certificate of the town clerk of 
Northfleld shows that the check lists, used at the annual meeting in 
that town In March, 1825, contained the names of 265 voters. From the 
same certificate it appears that, of this number, only thirty-seven 
voters live within the proposed limits of the new town, which would 
leave, after the separation, two hundred and twenty-eight legal voters 
in Northfleld. Much was also said before the committee respecting the 
injury which would result from the division of farms and the 
destruction of school districts in the old towns by the incorporation 
of the new. That some thing of this kind should occur in every new 
arrangement of town lines is perhaps inevitable. In the present 
instance the committee have endeavored, as far as possible, to avoid 
any inconvenience of this kind, and they have so far succeeded in this 
object as lo divide very few farms at all ; and none, so far as they 
are informed, in a manner particularly injurious to the owner. The old 
school districts in the several towns are also left, for the most part, 
without change, and where any alteration will become necessary in any 
of them, it can, without difficulty, be effected.

"The committee, therefore, recommended that a new town be incorporated, 
to be formed from parts of the old towns of Sanbornton, Salisbury, 
Northfteld and Andover. A survey of the territory included within tbe 
limits of the proposed new town, as designated by the committee, has 
been made under their direction and accompanies this report.

"All which is respectfully submitted,
" January 31, 1826."

The towns of Salisbury, Andover, Sanbornton and Northfield then engaged 
E. X. Woodbury and petitioned the Legislature to be put back. Parker 
Noyes protested to the proceedings, as the town had not been notified. 
A committee reported in favor of the petitioners. Noyes then moved for 
an order of notice and postponement, which he secured. The following is 
a copy of the report of the committee on towns and parishes for 1828 :

"The standing Committee on Towns and Parishes, having had under their 
consideration the petition of Dearborn Sanborn and others, praying for 
a new town to be taken from the towns of Salisbury, Andover, Sanbornton 
and Northfield, and also sundry memorials and remonstrances against the 
petitions and other papers connected therewith,

"That notice of the pendency of said petition has been published, 
pursuant to the order of the House, at the last session, and that the 
petitioners, as well as the corporations and individuals opposed to the 
prayer of said petition, have presented to the committee such testimony
as seemed to them to have a bearing upon the merits of the case.

"As a result of their inquiries the committee offer for the 
consideration of the House the following

" Statement of Facts:
" The original petition is signed by two hundred and ten voters, and 
the petition which was referred to the committee, at the present 
session, is signed by thirty voters, making two hundred and forty 
petitioners in the whole, all, or nearly all of whom reside within the 
limits of the proposed new town.

"The number of voters in Salisbury is . ......... 425
in Andover ..................... 325
in Sanbornton ................... 750
in Northfield .................... 288

*'The proposed new town would include within its limits,
from Salisbury ................... 108
from Andover .................... 35
from Sanbornton .................. 55
from Northfield ................... 49
Making In all ....................  247

voters to be included within the limits of the new town, of whom 38 
remonstrate against the prayer of the petition, and leaving the old 
towns, in the event of incorporation of the new one, the following 
number of voters, viz:

The whole amount of State tax, assessed in Salisbury in 1828, is
Assesed on inhabitants within the proposed limits ........91,26
State tax in Andover, 1828. ...........................  248.00
Assesed on Inhabitants within proposed limits..........   21.03
State tax in Sanbornton,1828.  ........................  478.80
Assesed on inhabitants in proposed limits ............    34.03
State tax in Northfield in 1828 .......................  200.00
Assessed on inhabitants in proposed limits ...........    37.95

"From this statement it appears that the valuation of the inhabitants, 
to be taken from Salisbury and Andover, is rather below ; while that of 
the inhabitants of Saubornton and Northfield is somewhat above the 
average valuation of all the inhabitants of the respective towns.

"From the examination made by the committee they are satisfied that the 
territory pointed out as the limits of the new town contains a 
population and resources which will entitle it to a respectable rank 
among the towns in New Hampshire. That this population is increasing, 
appears from the fact, that in January, 1826, the whole number of 
voters within the proposed limits was 187, shewing an increase of 
nearly one-fourth part in the number of voters in less than three 

"The committee are also satisfied that the inhabitants, living within 
the territory, would be accommodated by granting the prayer of the 
petition. Most of them have a distance to travel in order to attend the
public meetings, which tends much to diminish, in respect to them, the 
value of the elective franchise. Many of the petitioners in Salisbury 
live at a distance of five miles, and some of them a greater distance 
from the place of town-meeting. And all those comprised within the new 
town could much more conveniently attend at its proposed centre. The 
same remark will apply to Andover, except that the average saving in 
travel would be somewhat more. Some of the petitioners in Sanbornton 
live in the immediate vicinity of the proposed new centre, and most of 
them nearer to it than to the place of public meeting in that town. In 
Northfield is a considerable settlement, connected with the 
manufacturing establishments, on tbe banks of the Winnipissiogee. This 
is within a mile of the proposed new centre, and a little over four 
miles from the place of meeting in Northfield.

" In regard to the quality of the roads and the expense of making and 
repairing, the committee do not find any essential difference between 
the old towns and those parts proposed to be taken off. It was 
objected, on the part of Andover, that by dividing that town, in the 
manner proposed by the petitioners, an expensive road in the northeast 
part would be left to be supported by that town, whereas it ought to be
 supported by that portion of Andover which has petitioned to be set 
off. It did not appear to the committee, however, that the average 
expense of repairing roads in that part of Andover to be comprised in 
the new town, is not equal to the expense of repairing roads in other 
parts of the new town ; and for this, among other reasons, a majority 
of the committee is opposed to extending the line in Andover over the 
limits pointed out by the petitioners.

"The fact being established that the proposed territory contains a 
population and resources which entitle the prayer of the petitioners to 
a respectful hearing, and that there are inconveniences which they at 
present suffer which ought to be redressed, the committee have 
proceeded to the only remaining inquiry which seemed to them necessary 
to be made, in order to come to a correct result as to the subject 
matter referred to them—which is,—

" Whether these inconveniences can be removed, and these grievances 
redressed consistently with a due regard to the interests and rights of 
the towns or individuals to be affected by the measure proposed.

" It is proper here to remark, that the prayer of the petition is 
opposed by the towns of Salisbury, Sanbornton and Northfield; that it 
is not probable that any arrangement, in regard to lines, would 
reconcile the inhabitants of those towns, living out of the proposed 
limits, to a division. The town of Andover, also, opposes the petition, 
unless the line of the new town should extend north to New Chester, in 
which event, as the committee were informed, that town would make no 
further opposition.

" The objections made by the several towns were urged by their agents, 
who were before the committee, with much zeal and ability. The 
committee have attentively considered these objections and the 
testimony in their support, and upon a view of the whole subject, a 
majority of the committee is of the opinion that the objections to the 
proposed measure are not sufficient to counterbalance the obvious 
benefits which would result to the petitioners by the establishment of 
a new town.

" The objections urged by the towns were,—
"1. The general objection against all encroachments on town lines. This 
objection, in the opinion of the committee, ought to prevail only when 
a town is subjected to a loss, either in influence or resources, and 
when a party seeking a redress for grievances can find a different 
remedy. In this case, however, the committee have the satisfaction of 
believing that a new town may be incorporated and the old towns may 
still remain, as they have always been, highly respectable in point of 
numbers, character and resources of their inhabitants. The committee is 
further of opinion that to constitute a new town it is necessary to 
take a portion of each of the towns mentioned.

"2. Another objection urged was,—That school districts would be 
deranged by the lines marked out by the petitioners.

" It may be here remarked, that in Salisbury and Andover no school 
district is affected by the new town. In regard to Sanbornton and 
Northfield, the proposed line divides school districts, and in some 
places, of course, inconveniently. But from a careful examination of 
the testimony in this particular, the committee is of the opinion that 
the proposed line in these towns is as little inconvenient as any that 
could well be adopted. In regard to this Objection, and others of a 
similar nature, the committee may with much propriety make use of the 
language of a highly respectable committee, who, after viewing the 
ground and hearing the parties, made their report to the House of 
Representatives in June, 1826:

"' Much was said' say that committee, ' respecting the injury that
would result from the division of farms and destruction of school 
districts in the old towns by the incorporation of the new. That 
something of this kind should occur in every new arrangement of town 
lines is perhaps inevitable. In the present instance the committee have 
endeavored, as far as possible, to avoid any inconvenience of this 
kind, and they have so far succeeded in this object as to divide very 
few farms at all, and none, so far as they are informed, in a manner 
particularly injurious to the owner. The old school districts, in the 
several towns, are left for the most part without change, and where any 
alteration will become necessary, in any of them, it can, without 
difficulty, be effected."

"It should be remarked, that in their investigations the committee have 
confined themselves to the limits defined by the viewing committee in 

"The committee report for the consideration of the House the following 

" Resolved, That it is expedient to establish a new town, to be taken 
from Salisbury, Andover, Sanbornton and Northfield, and including in 
its limits the bounds pointed out by the petitioners, and that the 
petitioners have leave to bring in a bill for that purpose.
"LEVI CHAMBERLAIN, for the Committee.
"December 3,1828."

The town was incorporated as Franklin December 24,1828.

What pertains to the setting off of the southwest portion of the 
original town, to form the town of Franklin (says Rev. Mr. Runnels, in
an account of the action of Sanbornton in relation to this 
controversy), may now be safely treated as a matter of history; but in 
alluding to the later division, or attempts at division, we shall be 
treading upon delicate ground, and shall therefore confine ourselves 
almost exclusively to the recorded action of the town from time to 
time. The Sanbornton people were no doubt honest in their earliest 
strenuous opposition, though we now smile at the arguments used, the 
fallacy of some of which, valid in their day, is being proved by the 
lapse of time.

In town-meeting, March 9, 1825, the subject of " setting off the 
southwest corner of town " first came up in the warrant, " by petition 
of Ebenezer Eastman and others, to form a new town." A "polling of the 
House" resulted in " yeas, 4; nays, 402." At the same time a similar 
movement for the "northwest part of the town, on petition of Ebenezer 
Kimball and others," was disposed of in nearly as summary a way,—
"nays, 379; yeas, 7."

Next, from the Strafford Gazette of October 22, 1825, we obtain this 

" The inhabitants of the southwest part of this town presented to the 
committee appointed by the Legislature to lay out a new town, agreeably 
to the petition of Ebenezer Eastman and others, the remonstrance:

"The undersigned, inhabitants of the town of Sanbornton remonstrate 
against being set off into a new town, agreeable to the petition of E.
Eastman and others, and represent that they are not subject to any 
great 'inconvenience,' nor do they suffer any ' privation of civil and 
religious privileges by reason of their distance from the public 
building in this town ; but, on the contrary, believe their civil and 
religious privileges are now far superior to any they might expect to 
enjoy in the new town.

"That they now live in a town in which there is and long has been an 
uncommon harmony between the different religious societies; neither can 
they believe that that harmony, civil or religious, will be increased 
by their becoming members of the new town, divided as this will be by a 
large river, extending nine miles through the centre of the town 
impassable but at one place, their neighborhoods divided in like 
manner, the wants of its several parts unknown to the other in 
consequence of this division; but have good reason to believe that it 
would produce an unfriendly disposition and rivalship between its 
several parts, not only in their civil and fiscal concerns, but might 
likewise engender the seeds of hatred and animosity in their religious 

"That the town in which they now live have a school and parsonage fund 
amounting to more than $8000, the interest of which is annually 
appropriated towards the support of our common schools and all of our
religious societies. Remove us from these advantages, and you plaoe us 
in a town having no funds ; and instead of conferring a favor, you 
impose upon us a tax annually exceeding our proportion of a $4000 State 
tax. Remove us, and you deprive us of a rich legacy, fostered and 
enlarged by the parental (?) [obscure] and tender care of our fathers, 
and left by them not only for the instruction of our children in their 
civil and political duties, but by it the vital principles of piety and 
evangelical knowledge are enforced, which are the only sure foundations 
of our present, and the only hope of our future happiness.

"That they now live in a town mostly surrounded by monuments created 
from the foundation of the world, which require no perambulation, admit 
of no doubt and subject us to no lawsuits respecting their 
authenticity. Remove us, and you subject eight towns and eight 
different sets of selectmen to the expense of perambulating over 
twenty-five miles of a zigzag line on this new town where we now have 
natural boundaries.

" That we have located and accommodated our farms to our several wants 
and circumstances. Remove us, and you divide them, and leave a part in 
another town, to be taxed as non-resident, depriving our children, in 
addition to the loss of our school and parsonage money, of the benefit 
of the school tax of that part of our property, and giving it to 
strangers. Remove us, and you divide our school districts, subjecting 
those who now live near the school-house to travel more than two miles 
to attend school; you will locate many of us farther from our public 
building ; you will augment our taxes ; you will give us a great sham 
of bridges; you will subject us to the maintenance of several miles of 
highway, in addition to our common highway tax ; and we never have been 
able to find a precedent, and cannot discover the least semblance of 
justice in taking off a large section of this town against their 
unanimous wish, augmenting their taxes at least one-third, depriving us 
of our school and parsonage money, dividing and cutting up our farms, 
destroying our school districts, and placing us under the arbitrary 
will of strangers,—and we cannot willingly consent to these sacrifices 
without we can perceive a far greater advantage to some section of this 
town than merely gratifying the ambition and pride of some half a dozen 
"James Clark. Samuel Fellows. Abraham Cross. David Clark, Jr. Dearborn 
Sanborn. Jonathan Sanborn, Jr. George C. Ward. Tristram Sanborn. David 
Thompson. Nicholas Clark. Abraham Sanborn, Jr. Jonathan Prescott. 
William Thompson. David Gage. Nathan S. Morrison. Ebenezer Morrison.
Bradbury Morrison. Satchel W. Clark. Dearborn Sanborn, Jr. William 
Robertson. Abraham Sanborn. Andrew Sanborn. John Cate.
Jonathan Prescott, Jr. Jeremiah French. Samuel Prescott. David Dolloff. 
Joseph Thompson. John Thompson. Levi Thompson. Joseph Sanborn."

It would appear from the foregoing that the legal voters in that part 
of Sanbornton which is now Franklin were then, almost to a man, opposed 
to the division; while it must be remembered that Mr. Eastman and the 
few others who petitioned in its favor were living upon the west side 
of the river, in what was then Salisbury village. Accordingly, for 
three years longer, while efforts were continued for the formation of 
the new town, the dismemberment of its own territory was as steadily 
opposed by the town of Sanbornton. Even " at the last moment," November 
3, 1828, it was voted, on the motion, "that part of the town petitioned 
for be set off for the formation of a new town," yeas, twenty; nays, 
three hundred and eighty ; and Charles Gilman, Esq., was chosen as an 
agent to oppose the petition of Dearborn Sanborn and others (for new 
town) before the committee of the Legislature on towns and 

When, however, at the next annual meeting, March 11,1829, the town of 
Franklin had been constituted, there was a display of will, pertinacity 
and almost obstinacy on the part of the Sanbornton citizens, which 
seems hardly justifiable, in that they " would do nothing" in respect 
to "the proportion of the town funds claimed by Franklin, the town 
paupers of Sanbornton belonging to Franklin, or the annexing to most 
convenient schools districts of those dis-annexed by the forming of the 
new town."

The controversy continued for several years, as in March, 1832, a 
special agent was chosen, Nathaniel Holmes, Esq., to make arrangement 
with the town of Franklin and to obtain able counsel, whether the town 
of Sanbornton is holden to pay to Franklin any of its fund; and if 
holden, to make further arrangements and lay the matter again before 
the town. At a meeting in October (same year) it was voted that the 
town agent and selectmen "obtain further counsel whether Franklin has a 
legal claim upon Sanbornton for a proportion of the School and 
Parsonage Fund." The above agent never reported to the town (as appears 
from records); but at a special meeting, January 20, 1834, an action 
having been brought by the town of Franklin against Sanbornton to 
recover part of the funds belonging to said Sanbornton, Charles Lane, 
Esq., was appointed agent to attend to the suit, with instructions to 
continue the action so long as any probability of gaining it may exist; 
or otherwise, that he have power to settle the action and
agree on a committee to say " how much of the town funds Franklin shall 
have, and what part of the poor it shall take."

The Sanbornton fathers of that day were honest in the belief that no 
other town could justly claim the funds which were left to their town; 
hence they were sincere in resisting the claims of Franklin. But it
was ultimately decided against them, as in 1836, of the "School and 
Parsonage Fund," which had amounted to $6658.78, $633.53 was paid to 
Franklin as "the share belonging to those persons who had been set 
off," leaving a balance of $6025.25.

The Congregational Church —Unitarian Church—First Baptist Church
—Christian Baptist Church—Free Baptist Church—Methodist Church
—Roman Catholic Church.

The First Unitarian Congregational Society of Franklin was organized 
the 6th of December, 1879, " For the purpose of establishing and 
sustaining the worship of God in public and social religious services, 
and to secure for ourselves and our children the benefits of religious 
instruction, and as a means of illustrating and extending rational and 
practical Christianity."

In the second article of the constitution the objects of the society 
are declared to be "the cultivation and diffusion of useful knowledge, 
the promotion of fraternal justice, and of a serious and intelligent 
public spirit, and the earnest endeavor to supply a centre and home of 
religious sympathy and of all good influences to those who seek and 
need our fellowship."

On the occasion of the organization of the society the constitution was 
signed by the following persons: Rev. J. B. Harrison, Mrs. W. F. 
Daniell, Mrs. R. G. Burleigh, A. W. Sulloway, W. F. Daniell, Daniel 
Barnard, Charles H. Gould, R. G. Burleigh, G. B. Wheeler, F. H. 
Daniell, R. E. Bean, E. B. S. Sanborn. The following persons were 
elected officers of the society: Clerk, George B. Wheeler; Treasurer, 
Alexis Proctor; Pastor, Rev. J. B. Harrison; Trustees, Warren F. 
Daniell, Daniel Barnard, A. W. Sulloway, E. B. S. Sanborn, R. G. 
Burleigh, Alexis Proctor, Frank H. Chapman.

The board of trustees was constituted a committee to procure plans and 
consider other matters pertaining to the building of a church.

At a meeting of the trustees, held April 20th, a communication was read 
by the pastor informing the trustees that Mrs. Persis Smith, of St. 
Louis, had offered the society the sum of four thousand dollars toward 
the erection of a church and one thousand toward building a parsonage, 
provided that a suitable building lot be given for the parsonage and a 
suitable home erected thereon within a reasonable time.

At a meeting of the society, April 30,1881, it was voted that the 
trustees proceed to build a church, to cost not less than ten thousand 
dollars. The trustees were also authorized to build a parsonage as soon 
as the necessary funds could be raised. At the annual meeting of the 
society, December 31, 1881, A. W. Sulloway reported that a parsonage 
had been built at a cost, exclusive of the lot, which had been given by 
W. F. Daniell, of two thousand five hundred dollars, of which amount 
Mrs. Smith had contributed one thousand dollars and Mr. Sulloway had 
advanced the remaining fifteen hundred until the society could repay 
it. During the year the society received from its most generous 
benefactor, Mrs. Smith, three thousand dollars toward the foundation of 
a library, to which was added five hundred dollars contributed by 
members of the society, and two hundred and fifty dollars, a gift from 
an unknown friend, through Hutchins & Wheeler, of Boston. At a meeting 
of trustees, held November 24, 1883, the building committee reported 
that the church was completed at a cost, including two thousand two 
hundred and fifty dollars paid for the land, of sixteen thousand one 
hundred and twenty dollars.

It was voted that the church be dedicated December 19th, and that Rev. 
M. J. Savage be invited to preach the dedication sermon. The clerk of 
the society was instructed to acknowledge the receipt of one thousand 
dollars from Mrs. Charlotte E. Stevens, of North Andover, Mass., and 
the offer of whatever further sum might be needed to purchase and place 
in the church such an organ as Mrs. R. G. Burleigh and Mrs. W. F. 
Daniell might select.

The church was dedicated December 19th, Rev. M, J. Savage preaching the 
sermon. Among those present and participating in the services of the 
day was Rev. Horatio Wood who, fifty-one years before, had preached the 
first Unitarian sermon ever preached in Franklin.

In January, 1884, Rev. J. B. Harrison, who, by earnestness and a high 
order of ability, had drawn a congregation together, and held them 
during nearly five years,, withdrew from the pastorate of the society. 
In the following September the society extended a call to Rev. E. S. 
Elder to become their pastor, which call was accepted.

The foregoing narrative has been compiled from the church records. But 
little needs to be added. A history of a church cannot be written in 
its infancy. The first six years of the life of the society have been 
extremely prosperous, and the present is full of promise. The society 
is indebted for its existence and prosperity to an unusually fortunate 
concurrence of favorable circumstances. It was no common talent that 
attracted, and no common ability that held together, a congregation 
drawn from all the churches. It was no ordinary interest in a liberal 
church, and in what it stands for, that prompted the generous gifts of 
over nine thousand dollars from distant friends toward a church, an 
organ, a parsonage and a library, and this generosity was seconded by a 
corresponding liberality on the part of the society. And what is more 
significant and promising, those ideas, convictions and purposes of 
which the Unitarian Church is the representative and exponent were 
heartily welcomed by a large portion of the community. There are at 
present (1885) more than fifty families connected with the church. In 
its unusually excellent library of more than two thousand five hundred 
volumes, to which valuable additions are being made, it has an 
instrument of power and helpfulness to the entire community. It is to 
be hoped that as an institution for the promotion of goodness and 
righteousness in the lives and characters of its members, and for the 
advancement of the kingdom of God in the community the Unitarian Church 
of Franklin will abundantly justify the faith, fulfill the hopes and 
reward the endeavors of all who have in any way contributed to its 

The First Baptist Church of Franklin Falls.
Owing to the rapid growth of the village of East Franklin, as it was 
then called, there was an evident need of some place in which religious 
services could be held on the Sabbath for the benefit of many who could 
not go to churches in the neighboring villages.

Accordingly, the business men of the community secured Lyceum Hall, the 
only place that was then available, and made arrangements for the 
support of weekly religious services on the Sabbath. Elder Burton, of 
Sanbornton, appears to have been the earlist regular preacher to this 
union congregation, and he was succeeded, in April, 1866, by Rev. N. P.
Philbrook, who, in May, 1867, was followed by J. E. Dame, a student 
from the academy at New Hampton. Mr. Dame preached his farewell sermon 
June 28, 1868, and Rev. Charles A. Cooke preached moat of the time for 
the ensuing year.

Meanwhile, the question of organizing a Baptist Church had been 
discussed, and upon the advice and encouragement of Rev. E. E. 
Cuminings, D.D., of Concord, an organization was finally effected under 
the name of the First Baptist Church of East Franklin. The constituent 
members were twelve in number, as follows: Mr. and Mrs. Shadrach 
Wadleigh, Mrs. Lydia Sanborn, Mr. and Mrs. T. M. Jen kins, Mrs. James 
Jenkins, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Sumner, Mrs. Walter Aiken, Mrs. Fanny W. 
Sweatt, Miss Nettie Whittaker and Miss Laura McGloughlin.

In November, 1869, Rev. Benjamin Wheeler, of Saco, Me., began to preach 
to the union congregation in Lyceum Hall, and in June, 1870, he 
accepted a call from the Baptist Church to become its pastor.

In the summer of 1869, Walter Aiken, Esq., one of the most generous 
supporters of the union services, began the erection, at his own 
personal expense, of a new meeting-house, which was completed the 
following spring, so that just at the time when the town changed Lyceum 
Hall into a school building the new church building was ready for 
occupancy. As soon as practicable after the church had secured a 
pastor, a council of neighboring churches was called to consider the 
question of recognizing this church as in good standing in the Baptist 

This council met June, 30,1870, and, after proper investigation, voted 
to proceed with public services of recognition of the new church and 
dedication of the new meeting-house.

One year later Mr. Aiken, with rare munificence, donated the meeting-
house and land on which it stood to the First Baptist Society and he 
has to the present time ever been a generous contributor to the 
financial prosperity of the church.

After a brief service of one year and nine months, Rev. Mr. Wheeler, on 
March 3, 1872, resigned his pastorate, leaving a church which, having 
been organized less than three years, had made a net gain of seventy-
five, and now contained eighty-seven members. Of this increase, forty 
had been received by baptism, and all became willing workers in the now 
vigorous and efficient organization.

Mr. Wheeler, in the following October, moved from Franklin to Randolph, 
Mass., though he remained a beloved member of this church until August 
25, 1876, the date of his death.

Mr. J. F. Fielden began preaching for the church in May, after Rev. Mr. 
Wheeler's resignation, and June 7th it was voted to extend to him a 
call to ordination as pastor of this church. The call having been 
accepted, the public services of ordination were held July 5, 1872. 
During the next seven years the church enjoyed a season of great 
prosperity, increasing rapidly in numbers and influence, so that at the 
end of its first decade of years there were one hundred and ninety-six 

In 1875 the First Baptist Society, by unanimous vote, transferred all 
its property to the First Baptist Church of Franklin Falls, a corporate 
body under the laws of the State. In April, 1875, a baptistery was 
placed in the church, and in July an additional and useful room was 
formed by connecting the church and chapel. In February, 1878, a fine-
toned, fifteen hundred pounds bell was presented by George E. Buell, 
Esq., and placed in the church tower, where it yet remains, the only 
church bell in the village.

Rev. Mr. Fielden resigned his pastorate in Franklin August 5, 1881, and 
immediately accepted a call to become pastor of the First Baptist 
Church in Winchester, Mass.

During this service of a little more than nine years Mr. Fielden made a 
record as pastor which has rarely excelled, for of the one hundred and 
forty-nine accessions during his ministry, one hundred and six
were baptized by him and forty-three came from other churches.

After an interval of about five months, on December 16,1881, a call was 
given to Mr. C. R. Brown, of Cambridge, Mass., to become pastor of the 
church ordination.   This call having been accepted, a council met in 
the church, on Friday, December 30th, and, after a satisfactory 
examination, proceeded to the public exercises of ordination and 
recognition. This pastorate, though fruitful in accessions of new 
members, was quite brief, for in June, 1883, the pastor was invited by 
the trustees of Newton Theological Institution to take the position of 
assistant professor of Hebrew and cognate languages in that seminary. 
He, having pursued those studies during a residence of two years in 
Germany, felt it to be his duty to accept the invitation, and 
accordingly resigned his pastoral charge after a service of but 
eighteen months.

In July the church extended a call to Rev. A. J. Hopkins, of Hopkinton, 
N. H., to become their pastor, and he accepted, entering upon his 
labors at the beginning of October, 1883. During the period between 
that and the present time (July, 1885) but few changes have taken place 
and little worthy of note has occurred. The church now numbers one 
hundred and eighty members, has a flourishing Sunday-school and appears 
to be preparing for another period of marked spiritual development and 
rapid increase in numbers.

Christian Church.—The religious awakening out of which grew the 
Christian Church in Franklin, N. H., dates back to October, 1810, when 
Elijah Shaw, afterwards a prominent minister in the denomination, 
visited Andover and vicinity on an exhorting tour, he being only 
seventeen years old. In the summer of 1811, and again in 1814, he 
visited the above-named towns. At this last visit the work began in 
earnest, he preaching in a barn, as no other building was large enough 
to hold the crowds that flocked to hear the good news. The work spread 
into the adjoining towns of Salisbury and Sanbornton.

The pioneer church organized from Elder Elijah Shaw's labors was in 
Sanbornton. The organization was effected October 25, 1814, Elders 
Moses Cheney and Elijah Shaw assisting. This church continued its work 
with some efficiency till it fell to decay, in 1827, the membership at 
that period being eighty-one persons, residing in Sanbornton, 
Salisbury, Andover, New Chester and Northfield. Their covenant was 
brief and comprehensive: " We, whose names are under-written, having 
submitted ourselves to God, agree to submit ourselves to one another, 
considering ourselves a church of God, called to be saints, agreeing to 
take the New Testament, and that only, for our rule,—for name, belief 
and practice."

Elders Galley and Morrison organized at different times, from 1820 to 
1837, three churches in Andover and Salisbury village (now Franklin 
West village) and Sanbornton. These three churches united, March 14, 
1830, into a strong organization. They did not long continue in this 
united capacity. Little or no provision was made for 'supporting the 
minister, and the church soon went to ruin. In January, 1838, the 
members of the church living in Franklin decided to separate from the 
others and form a new church. The organization was completed January 
21, 1838, at the school-house in Franklin village, Elders Benjamin 
Calley and Richard Davis assisting.

The movement toward the erection of the church edifice, in which the 
church have worshiped, was started January 14, 1838. A notice was 
posted that day for a meeting on the 20th, in the school-house in 
Franklin village, of, all desirous of aiding in the erection of such a 
building. At that meeting Joshua Fifield, James Clark and Caleb Merrill 
were appointed to procure a site, and report estimated expense to an 
adjourned meeting January 27th, when the reports were accepted, and 
Messrs. Fifield, Clark and John Rowell were appointed a building 
committee, and N. S. Morrison, Caleb Merrill, Daniel Herrick, a 
committee to raise funds and sell pews. February 10, 1838, all the 
arrangements were completed for the building. The foundation was put 
in, and the frame was put up June 27th, and so rapidly was the work 
carried forward by this energetic society, that the house was dedicated 
to the worship of the One God and His Son, Jesus Christ, November 7, 
1838. Isaac Hale, Joshua Fifield and John Simonds were committee of 
arrangements, Elder Elijah Shaw preaching the sermon (text, Isaiah xlv. 
6-7). The house cost $3200. The pews sold and subscriptions paid 
amounted to $3003.73, leaving a debt of $197.27, which was raised at 
once, and the church given to the worship of God free from debt, and, 
what is quite remarkable in the history of churches, has never had an 
incumbrance upon it in the form of a debt; and there have been no 
interruptions or lapses in the service held in the church. In 1859 some 
repairs were made at an expense of one hundred and sixty dollars. In 
1872 repairs and improvements in the interior of the church were made, 
amounting to eight hundred and fifty dollars, and a pipe-organ put in 
costing fifteen hundred dollars. The pastors that have been settled 
over this church since its organization are as follows: Benjamin 
Calley, one year, to 1839; Joseph Elliot, four years to 1843; Elijah 
Shaw, two years, to 1845; J. C. Blodgett and E. Chadwick, one year, to 
1846; J. W. Tilton, two years, to 1848; O. J. Wait, eight and a half 
years, to 1856 ; A. H. Martin, four and a half years, to 1861. During 
1862 several preachers of different denominations supplied the pulpit. 
In 1862, H. C. Dugan was settled, who remained to 1865; Rev. Mr. 
Syreans, to 1866; R. B. Eldridge, to 1868; O. J. Wait was again settled 
in 1868 and remained to April 1, 1883, when he resigned to become 
president of Antioch College, at Yellow Springs, Ohio. In 1883, T. G. 
Moses was called to the pastorate. In writing this sketch I have been 
impressed with this remarkable feature,—the unanimity which has 
characterized all the actions of this body of Christians. There have 
been no long and distracting church trials, no bickerings among the 
membership, but love and harmony have prevailed for nearly fifty years.
 The present condition of the church is prosperous. The Sunday-school 
is in a flourishing condition, and its financial resources are 
sufficient for all the increased demands upon it.

The Free Baptist Church was organized in 1870 with sixteen members. The 
church edifice was erected in 1871 at a cost of about six thousand 
dollars. The first pastor of this church was Rev. James Rand. Among his 
successors have been the following: Revs. F. E. Davidson, J. Willis, E. 
H. Prescott and G. N Musgrove.

The Methodist Church was organized in 1871 by Rev. J. H. Haines. The 
church is in a prosperous condition; Rev. S. P. Heath, pastor.

The Roman Catholic Church was organized hr Rev. Father Murphy, of 
Laconia. He was by succeeded by Fathers Goodwin, Lambert and Galvin.

CHAPTER,   IV. FRANKLIN—(Continued).
The Legal Profession—Physicians— Educational—The New Hampahire 
Orphans' Home—The Press—The Transcript—The Merrimack Journal—The 
Franklin National Bank—The Franklin Savings-Bank.

Lawyers.—The legal profession in Franklin, even from an early day, has 
numbered among its members some of the most distinguished lawyers and 
jurists in the State. The first lawyer in the town was Thomas W. 
Thompson, a graduate of Harvard, who commenced practice here in 1791. 
He was a member of Congress, State treasurer, etc. Parker Noyes, an 
early lawyer of the town, was also an able man. He was prominent in 
securing the charter of the town in 1828. Hon. George W. Nesmith, ex-
judge of Supreme Court; Hon. Daniel Barnard; Hon. Austin F. Pike, 
United States Senator; and Hon. Isaac N. Blodgett,1 associate justice 
of the Supreme Court. Other lawyers are E. B. S. Sanborn, F. N. 
Parsons, William M. Barnard (son of Judge Daniel Barnard), G. R. Stone, 
E. G. Leach and W. D. Hardy.

Physicians.—The medical profession has also been well represented. The 
oldest resident physician is Dr. Luther M. Knight, who located here in 
June, 1845. Other physicians have been John H. Sanborn, H. W. Brockway, 
W. W. Sleeper, Austin Durkee (deceased), William E. Keith, C. B. 
Nichols and J. W. Staples.

Educational.—The town is more liberal in its support of schools than 
any town in the State compared to its population. The present High 
School was erected at a cost of about forty thousand dollars.

Two natives of Franklin are presidents of colleges, —Rev. N. J. 
Morrison, D.D., president of a college in Missouri, and John W. Simons, 
president of a college in Dakota.

The New Hampshire Orphans' Home—The first meeting for the organization 
of this humane institution was held in Eagle Hall, Concord, February 
21, 1871.

At that meeting Hon. George W. Nesmith, of Franklin, was chosen 
president; Hon. Horton D. Walker, of Portsmouth, vice-president; Rev. 
C. W. Millen, of Tilton, secretary; Hon. John Kimball, of Concord, 
treasurer; and Rev. D. A. Mack, of Franklin, superintendent and agent.

In June, 1871, the institution was incorporated. The persons authorized 
to call a legal meeting of the corporation did call it in July, and the 
aforesaid charter was duly accepted by the grantees. Officers were 
elected, and at that and a subsequent meeting, a board of directors was 
chosen, by-laws ordained and a committee was appointed to report upon 
the location of the institution.

Part of the second section of the act of incorporation gives in brief 
language the main objects of the Home,—

"The main object, or purpose, of this Corporation is to procure a home 
for the destitute orphans and homeless children in this State; to 
furnish substantial aid for a time by feeding and clothing them ; by 
teaching them habits of industry ; by giving them moral and 
intellectual improvement, and, finally, to seek out for them suitable 
and permanent places of residence, where they may receive rewards for 
their labor, and ultimately become useful members of society, and, 
consequently, be saved from pauperism, vice and crime."

It was empowered to take and hold personal or real estate to the amount 
of three hundred thousand dollars.

Also to make legal and binding contracts with the guardians or friends 
of the orphans in relation to their services and future employment, and 
were also authorized to make similar contracts with the overseers of 
the poor, or county commissioners, who may have the legal control of 
any orphan for the time being.

At a meeting of the board of directors, holden in August, 1871, the 
committee appointed to locate the institution reported in favor of 
establishing it upon the Daniel Webster farm, in Franklin, extensive, 
well located and full of historic interest. Their report was adopted by 
a vote of the directors. On the 28th of August the executive committee 
of the board purchased of Messrs. Joseph Eastman and John C. Morrison, 
of Concord, one hundred and eighty acres of the Webster farm, with the 
buildings thereon. The price demanded was ten thousand dollars, but the 
owners remitted eight hundred dollars of the purchase money to the 
corporation, leaving the price stipulated to be paid nine thousand two 
hundred dollars.

This was adjusted by the payment of five thousand dollars drawn from 
the treasury; also by contributions of the citizens of the town of 
Franklin amounting $2504.24, a portion of which had already been paid 
into the treasury; also from money received from sundry citizens and 
religious societies of the towns of Amherst, Andover, Bristol, Canaan, 
Enfield, Exeter, Lebanon and Wilton, amounting in all to $1745.62, 
including a small balance of interest which had accrued on the purchase 
money. On the 19th day of October, 1871, the Home was duly opened and 
consecrated to the public use and to its professed objects by 
appropriate ceremonies. Interesting addresses were made in the presence 
of a large concourse of people by Professor E. D. Sanborn, Senator 
Patterson, Rev. Mr. Heath, Rev. Dr. Davis and others. On the same day a 
fair was holden for the benefit of the orphans by their friends from 
Concord, Fisherville, Lebanon, Andover, Salisbury, Tilton and other 
adjacent towns, from the avails of which the treasury realized the net 
income of about four hundred and fifty dollars. In the same month the 
trustees engaged the services of Rev. Mr. Mack as financial agent, his 
wife as matron and his daughter Jennie as teacher, all at the fixed 
salary of one thousand four hundred dollars, including also their board 
for the term of one year. The first orphan was admitted on the 26th day 
of October.

The Home was opened with Rev. D. A. Mack as chaplain and Mrs. Mack as 
matron. Mr. Mack remained its efficient chaplain until his death, which 
occurred December 1, 1883.

During the first three years the number of children averaged annually 
from thirty to forty. During these years all the current expenses were 
paid, the Home was furnished with furniture and the farm with stock and 
tools. Besides this, a new building was erected at a cost of eight 
thousand dollars, and five thousand dollars was left in the treasury 
and nearly one thousand dollars on subscription. This brings us to 
1875. From 1875 to 1878 the chaplain served as financial agent only six 
mouths. During this time the funds of the Home decreased nearly one 
thousand dollars annually. In May, 1878, there were only two thousand 
dollars on hand, and but little on subscription. During the last five 
years, from May 30, 1878, to May 30, 1883, Mr. Mack was the only 
accredited agent.

This institution was practically founded by Mr. Mack, and it was 
through his untiring efforts that it was made a success. He planted 
this institution here on a property for which a hundred per cent bonus 
has since been offered. He was voted ten per cent, commission on the 
first ten thousand dollars, but received little less than eight per 
cent. The endowment of the Home invariably increased when he acted as 
agent, and at no other time. By much hard labor he procured furniture, 
furnishing for the dormitories, thirty thousand brick, boots, shoes, 
cloth, books, papers, farming tools, etc., for the institution. Over 
four hundred dollars was secured on the day of the dedication. On these 
donations he received no commission.

The first president of the Home was the honored and venerable George W. 
Nesmith, who still occupies the position. His name has been a tower of 
strength to the institution and his counsels have been invaluable. Mrs. 
Mack is the present matron.

The Franklin Transcript was started by Mr. John A. Hutchinson. The 
first number appeared July 6,1882. A seven-column folio, " patent 
outside," was used. The paper was dated Franklin, N. H., and printed by 
O. A. Towne, at the Falls. Mr. Hutchin­son was a man of feeble health, 
who was able to put but little work into the paper, yet from the first 
it aid not only the running expenses, but a handsome sum beside. He was 
taken suddenly ill of congestion of the lungs September 26th, and died 
October 5, 1883. The paper was continued by his widow during October, 
and sold to O. A. Towne November 1st. Mr. Towne having other business 
which demanded his attention, associated Mr. S. H. Robie with himself 
in the enterprise, giving Mr. Robie the position of editor and general 
manager. In December of the same year the paper was changed from a " 
patent" to a " home-print' The subscription list and advertising 
patron­age increased materially. Up to the present writing it has been 
constantly under the above management -in the firm-name of Transcript 
Publishing Com­pany.

The Merrimack Journal was founded in February, 1872, by Hon. Daniel 
Barnard and Hon. Austin F. Pike, presumably with an idea of helping 
assist Pike to a re-election to Congress. He was defeated. The 
ostensible proprietors, whose names stood at the head of the paper, 
were Moses B. Goodwin, a Washington journalist, lawyer and " literary 
feller," and Frank M. Galley, a printer. In 1874, Omar A. Towne pur­
chased Calley's interest, and in 1875, D. T. Elmer bought the paper. 
His successors were F. K. & G. B. Wheeler, who bought in May, 1876. G. 
B. Wheeler bought his brother's interest in 1877, and sold to Russell 
P. Eaton, who had published the New England Farmer twenty-five years, 
in May, 1880. In October of the same year it was purchased by the 
present proprietor, Roscoe E. Collins, a practical printer and 
journalist of wide experience, who made it an inde­pendent paper in all 
things. It had been a twenty-eight column paper from its start. In May, 
1883, he enlarged it to a thirty-two column paper. It is read by six 
thousand people every week, and its circulation embraces most of the 
States and Territories of the Union.

The Franklin National Bank was organized November 22,1879. Alvah W. 
Sulloway, Daniel Barn­ard, Warren F. Daniell, Isaac N. Blodgett, Walter 
Aiken, John Taylor, all of Franklin, and George E. Shepard, of Andover, 
were elected directors ; Alvah W. Sulloway was chosen president, Daniel 
Barnard vice-president and Frank Proctor clerk and cashier.

The capital ($100,000) was fully paid on December 6,1879, and the 
charter of the bank (No. 2443) was issued December 20, 1879.

The bank opened for business January 1, 1880, in the rooms of the 
Franklin Savings-Bank, which occu­pancy has continued to the present 

At each successive annual  stockholders' meeting the same board of 
directors has been unanimously re-elected and the officers of the bank 
remain the same as at the date of organization.

The surplus and undivided profits of the association now aggregate one-
fifth of the capital stock.

Franklin Savings-Bank was incorporated June 30, 1869, with the 
following incorporators: Walter Aiken, N. H. Sanborn, Warren F. 
Daniell, Austin F Pike, Jonas B. Aiken, Daniel Barnard, John Taylor, 
Frank H. Daniell, George W. Nesmith, James Taylor, Alexis Proctor, 
David Gilchrist, Edwin C. Stone Frank H. Aiken, Levi Richardson, 
Stephen Kenrick, John W. Sweat, Ephraim G. Wallace, A. S. Nesmith, A. 
W. Sulloway, John H. Rowell, William Russell, William A. Russell, I. N. 
Blodgett, E. B. S. Sanborn, Asa B. Closson, Henry Burley, Benjamin S. 
Hancock, Orin B. Davis, Watson Dickerson, John Proctor.

The following were the first officers and trustees: President, Austin 
F. Pike; Secretary and Treasurer, Nathaniel H. Sanborn; Trustees, 
Austin F. Pike, George W. Nesmith, Daniel Barnard, David Gilchrist, 
Warren F. Daniell, Watson Dickerson, Wil­liam A. Russell, John Taylor, 
Walter Aiken, Alexis Proctor, Jonas B. Aiken, Stephen Kenrick, A. W. 

Present officers: George W. Nesmith, president; Alexis Proctor, 
treasurer. Present trustees : George W. Nesmith, Daniel Barnard, Warren 
F. Daniell, John H. Rowell, Milton Gerrish, John Taylor, Wal­ter Aiken, 
C. C. Kenrick, A. W. Sulloway, H. A. Weymouth, I. N. Blodgett, E. B. S. 
Sanborn, F. L. Morrison.

The first deposit was made October 1, 1869, by Harry Hinds, of ten 

Deposits, April 4, 1885, $593,930.

Presidents, Austin F. Pike and George W. Nes­mith ; Treasurers, N. H. 
Sanborn and Alexis Proctor.

Military Record, 1861-65.-The following men enlisted from Franklin 
under the call of 1862 and subsequent calls:

Hubbard S. Kimball, James P. Simons, John Bankley,William Folley, 
Edward McCoy, John James, George Ramsay, A. J. Sargent, John Brennan, 
John Collis, Barnard Dormerly, P. McMahon, A. L. Smith, John C. Smith, 
A. L. Corlias, Charles D. Colby, C. B. Woodford, C. C. Frost, H. B. 
Huntoon, C. A. Fletcher, G. W. Daniels, Jacob G. French, Edward A. 
Knight, G. F. Sweat, S. G. Couliss, H. H. Logan, Joseph Atkinnon, R. E. 
Cochrane, S. H. Clay, R. Stevens, G. H. Stevens, J. L. French, A A. 
Pettengill, J. P. Simons, R. Keysur, James Cate, L. M. Clark, John 
Russell, J. B. Thorn, E. B. Ash, C. Lutz, A. F. Howe, G. S. Eaton, 
George Folley, J. Fuller, John Sanborn, George W. Eaton, D. T. Cheney, 
L. Cheney, Jr., John Ash, C. O. Dollof, A. M. Sanborn, James 
Fitzgerald, Thomas Harley, James Hall, B. F. Pettingill, William 
Wilson, Dnncan McNougbton, T. James, B. I. Barnes, C. J. Pipe, J. 
Clinton, John Andersen, Calvin Sanborn, W. A. Gile, M. K. Smith, H. 
Colby, E. B. Hancock, W. P. Kinsman, F. W. Ballon, George Green, J. H. 
Bennett, A. T. Cate, D. T. Cate, S. Cook, L. M. Davis, H. W. Fairbanks, 
Jr., H. F. Gardner, W. H. Keyes, C. C. Morrison, D. W. Parare, Joseph 
Thompson, D. K. Woodward, T. P. Whittier, C. E. Thompson, J. P. 
Sanborn, H. H. Sargent, H. B. Ingalls, S. J. Sawyer, W. J. Foster, 0. 
Gard­ner, J. M. Otis, Thomas Kelley, J. Gillooley, Joseph Bennett, 
Charles Crawford, John Clancey, George M. Custer, Frank Cole, Thomas 
Ford, Peter Phillips, J. O'Brien, Harry Casper, John Ludlow, James 
Martin, John Murphy, John Smith, Joseph Sullivan, John Ward, Henry 
Williams, James White, Thomas Cullam, N. Geary, John Gardner, John
Hustore, William Henry, John Johnston, R. J. Palmer, John Smith, Max 
Solnary, William Wistar, William Riley, Asa Morrison, R. Brown, John 
Flynn, P. Kelly, George Ramscy, W. Elliott, Daniel Maxfield, G. M. 
Clifford, J. Green, J. C. Bruce, J. F. Putney, Thomas Bruce, B. W. 
Breed, Daniel Curtis, W. I. Dixon, Isaac Hamilton, J. H. Hunt, L. 
Marinell, G. H. Stevens, C. H. Stevens, George Whitman, L. Reimann, C. 
Flemming, R. Meir, Charles Hayes, C. H. Hogan, Daniel Douglass, William 
Bradley, Thomas Rider, William Andrews, John White, James Hayes, John 
Maxwell, William Harvey, John Weed, John Harrington, 0. H. Merrill, R. 
G. Burleigh, H. J. Williams, Patrick Sawyer.

Back to Franklin Homepage

This page generously

 Hosted By RootsWeb

Background Graphic by
 Barbara's Bordered Backgrounds