SAUNDERS COUNTY NEBRASKA
The first settlement in Saunders County was in Clear Creek precinct in 1856, when Joseph Stambaugh, his wife and three children came to the county in a horse drawn covered wagon from Plattsmouth. They had first entered the state at Plattsmouth, which was then a principal port of entry on the Missouri River. Even at that early date government and private wagon trains had marked a trail from Nebraska City to a point near Fort Kearney, where it joined the Oregon Trail. This trail entered what is now Saunders County at the crossing of Salt Creek where there was a ford. It was the only known crossing of the kind within reasonable distance. This trail passed through the southern part of the county in a northwesterly direction going into Butler County some miles north of the present location of Brainard.
Stambaugh found a deserted hut on the banks of the creek, evidently erected by trappers or government surveyors who had moved on, and there made his first abode. Later the next year he erected a sod house in what is now known as Clear Creek precinct, where the first sod was turned. The Stambaughs were followed closely by LeRoy and Reuben Warbritton and although there has been some dispute as to which came first, it is generally conceded the Stambaughs were the first actual settlers.
The first settlers arrived to find the county in the possession of the Otoe Indians, who occupied the east side of the county from what is now Leshara to Ashland, The Pawnee came sometime later and encamped on the high bluffs in the north part of the county. There are no untoward incidents to record about the relations of the white settlers with the Redskins. The latter appeared friendly, their worst trait being a disposition to take what they wanted wherever they could find it, regardless of ownership. Their silent moccasin-shod tread through the grass and sudden appearance in the doorways of settlers was sometimes most frightening and at the least, disconserting.
At this period the country was a succession of grass covered knolls stretching as far as the eye could see. There was occasionally a growth of timber along the creeks, but usually it was stunted because of numerous prairie fires.
Early settlement was not rapid and most of the arrivals seem to have been adventurous men who had lately left the Union army. In 1860 the county had but seven families, most of them in the southeast part of the county.
Only thirty-eight voters had arrived or voted within the following ten years. At an election held in 1867, thirty-eight ballots were cast for legislators, state and county officers. At this same election Ashland was selected as the county seat. Ashland had been a part of Cass County, but by legislative enactment a small portion of the county was detached and added to Saunders County, including the land on which Ashland stood. The courthouse there was erected in 1870 and it remained until Oct. 14, 1873, when an election made Wahoo the county seat. Wahoo by this time had become a flourishing village. In December of the same year the records were removed to Wahoo, and the county seat officially established there. The courthouse was erected at Wahoo in 1874, and was replaced with a new brick building in 1913.
The need for transportation facilities was acute for the early settlers. In addition, seasons of drouth and grasshoppers which periodically arrived made agriculture a difficult problem. The settlers in the north part of the county had to go to Plattsmouth and later to Ashland for their milling and supplies. The trip was long and tiresome. Although Fremont had become a good sized trade center, fording the Platte river was extremely dangerous owing to the quicksand. Later a mill was erected at Ithaca in 1871, the one at Ashland having been built in 1864.
The lack of transportation facilities made the settlers anxious for railroad connections. The first to make a practical start in this direction was the Union Pacific when it incorporated its branch line from Valley to Valparaiso. Among the towns on this road was Yutan, which was platted in 1876. Until 1883 it was named Clear Creek. It is only a short distance from the Platte river and was the first town to be reached by a railroad in Saunders County. The next town to the West is Mead, about six miles west of Yutan.
Still further west and near the center of the county is Wahoo, county seat and metropolis of Saunders County. The first settlement here was in 1865 and four years later the first store was built. Removal of the county seat from Ashland in 1873 virtually decided the fate of this community, and its development was rapid.
Before the arrival of the railroad a coach line for passengers and mail operated between Lincoln and Wahoo. The city has some industrial enterprises in culvert factories, both cast iron and cement, and a hog and chicken house factory. Wahoo is the home of Luther College, a Swedish institution affiliated with and in part supported by the Lutheran Church. Other structures include a large brick city hall, library and firemen's hall, and a brick stone courthouse, which replaced the old frame structure in 1904. Six miles west of Wahoo on the Union Pacific is Weston, which was platted in 1877. The population is largely Bohemian. In early years it was well known for its fine elevators and large lumber industry, which did much toward building up this part of the country.
About half way between Weston and Valparaiso on the Union Pacific railroad is the settlement
of Touhy, unincorporated and with limited store facilities. The last town on the Union Pacific within Saunders County is Valparaiso, not far from the Butler County line on the west and a short distance north of the Lancaster line, in the southeast corner of the county. Valparaiso was incorporated in July. 1880, although a struggling village of a few stores lining the road had existed since 1870. The Union Pacific was largely responsible for its growth as it made Valparaiso a division point from which trains were dispatched west, south and east. Railroad life has been a great factor in its growth and today it is still a railroad center. It is the site of the first large consolidated school district in the county. The community is largely Bohemian.
Ashland in the southeast corner of the county, is the second largest town. It stands on land discovered and settled by the first settlers mentioned earlier. The settlement of Saline Ford was followed by organization of the town of Ashland, March 4, 1870, although the first frame building and store was built in the spring of 1863. In the same year a dam was built across Salt Creek and a flour mill erected. The first hotel, built partially of logs, served many early settlers coming into the county.
Ashland was first located on bottom lands along Salt Creek, but as the town grew and the business center expanded, the tall buildings were placed farther back on higher ground. This is the location of the present Ashland. It is a division point on the Burlington main line between Lincoln and Omaha, and was the location of the present Ashland. It is a division point on the Burlington main line between Lincoln and Omaha, and was the location of the first county seat. It is now the largest city on the Platte river between Fremont and Plattsnouth and greatly influenced the early history of the county.
In 1888 the C. B. & Q. railroad built a branch line from Ashland to Schuyler, on which were the townsites of Memphis, Ithaca, Wahoo, Malmo and Prague.
Ithaca was established about six miles from Wahoo but had first been settled in 1866, with a part dugout and part log house. It was the first stopping place north and west of Ashland. A flour mill erected here in 1874 served the early settlers. However, a fire on Nov. 14, 1894, destroyed the entire mercantile section with a loss of $25,000, but it has been rebuilt in much better condition than before. Malmo, founded in Mariposa precinct upon the arrival of the railroad, was named for Malmo, Sweden. On Jan. 15, 1870, Malmo organized the first Swedish Church in the community. The first store was built in 1887. This was followed by a number of others and a bank is still operating in the town,
Thirteen miles northwest of Wahoo is the town of Prague, which arose when the Burlington completed its branch through there in 1888, although it was platted and laid out a year earlier. The town has become a prosperous business center and is located advantageously for farmers, despite relatively poor train service. The population in and around Prague is principally Bohemian. Its community hall is large enough to accommodate all public gatherings.
When the Chicago and Northwestern railroad projected a branch from Lincoln to Fremont in 1886, the first town in Saunders County near the Lancaster County line was Ceresco. Before this time, however, it had been on a star mail route which served Ceresco, Swedeburg, Wahoo, Colon, Cedar Bluffs and Fremont. In 1895 the town suffered a disastrous fire which destroyed most of the business section. It was rebuilt and is now a prosperous village, the population largely Swedish.
Other Saunders County towns are Swedeburg, Colon, Cedar Bluffs, Morse Bluff and Leshara. All are typical small agricultural communities. Leshara, the county's youngest town, was founded in 1905 when the Burlington built a branch from Ashland to Fremont.
Submitted by Mary E Blair Meadow Grove Madison Co. NE
NORFOLK WEEKLY NEWS - JOURNAL June 1, 1906
Was Fair Memorial Day
|Honored soldiers:||Members of Women Relief Corps:|
|Isham, First Michigan Battery||Powell|
|Mathewson, Major Joseph, Eighteenth CT.||La Farge|
|Pheasant, James, One hundred ninety-first, PA.||Kindred, M.|
|Sullivan, John P., Gen, Grant's cypher clerk||Corrivan, M.|
|Desmond, Daniel, N.Y. Cavalry||Green, J.|
|Glass Wm. S., One Hundred forty-first, Il. Vol.||Amarine, D. A.|
|Palmer, Daniel, U.S. Navy||Lowe, Wm. H|
|Bishop, Wm, Il Volunteers||Glass|
|Kyner, John, Seventy-third, OH.||Allen, Robert|
|Brady, Geo., Co. and Reg. unknown||Wilkinson, Glenn C.|
|Gregory, Uriah, Forty-third WI.||Beswick, Win.|
|Roberts, W. H., physician Twentieth OH.||Wilds, J. T.|
|Bondurant, John, Fifty-first, MO.||Landhoff, Fred|
|Amarine, D. A., Twenty-third, IA.||Brasch, C. W.|
|Plummer, Capt., Sixteenth OR.||Hayes, S. W.|
|Capt. Hill, unknown||Weills|
|Gieger, John, Mexican War veteran||McGinnis|
|Gordon, George, company cook|
|Davenport, George, First OH, light artillery|
|Smith, J. W., Forty-second, OH.|
|Winter, Wm., unknown|
|Lowe, Wm., unknown|
|Harter, Thos. J. Co. A., Forty-first IL.|
NEWS - JOURNAL April 13, 1906
Sells Oldest Homestead
First Claim Taken out in Madison County, changed hands today
The oldest homestead in Madison County, being the very first one taken out, was sold today, by the owner, Mrs. F. J. Ferguson, to Otto Lindstedt for $10 per acre. The farm consists of eighty acres and is located four miles south and 1/2 mile east of Norfolk Avenue and First Street. Mr. Lindstedt will work the land. For the eighty acres Mrs. Ferguson received $800.
Jan, 12, 1906
List of letters remaining uncalled for at the P.O. at Norfolk, NE Jan, 9, 1906
|Alexander, J. A.||Nelson, Miss Nellis|
|Buford, Mrs. Queen||Prescott, Pearl J.|
|Cutler, Burns B.||Turner, Harry|
|Cutler, Bert||White, F. G. (transient)|
If not called for in 15 days will be sent to Dead Letter Office. John R. Hays, Post Master.
June 22, 1906
List of letters remaining uncalled for at the P.O. at Norfolk, NE
|Abbott, C. E.||Conklin, John.|
|Allen, Miss Gertrude||DeNise, Gen. R.|
|Brown, T. M.||Gray, S.|
|Brown, Ednond (package)||Gray, Elsworth|
|Cartney, Earle||Harris, Jennie|
|Palmer, Frank (of Oxford Hotel)||Plurnmer, Jno. W.|
|Sample, M.V.||John R. Hays, P.M.|
Become American Citizens - June 22, 1906
Madison County - Thirteen applicants passed, best known were John Jacob Lamli, Swiss; Robert Gratton, Joseph Gratton, James Peterson natives of Canada from Stanton County.
Sept. 28, 1906 - from Madison: Schulz, Gottfried; Schulz, John Frederick; Kurtz, Fred; Christiansen, Ketel, Schutt, Fritz; Grunke, Herman; Ramseir, Karl; Schumacher, August; Blank, Frank; Penner, emil (sic); Weiland, Anton; Funk, John--all from Germany; Denkey, Joseph-Switzerland; Petermann, Joseph; Peterson, Jacob; Alhertson, Charlie--first papers.
from Norfolk: Preusker, Wm.; Preusker, Adolph; Nordwig, Paul; Zachert, Louis A.; Kohlhoff,
Henry; Blank, August; Schilling, Frederick; Grimm, Fred--all from Germany. Rosenthal, S. M,--from Russia.
from Battle Creek-Wegner, Edward - Germany.
from Meadow Grove--Reeker, Frederick Wilhelm Germany
from Pierce--Krasne, Herman - Germany
from Lindsay--Gugat, Christoph - Germany; Gall, Fritz W.
Teachers Here - Those registered April 6, 1906
Cuming County: Stockwell, W. T. - Wisner; Needermeyer, Sara - Wisner; Burnham, Archie L.- West Point; Munderloh, Bertha- Beemer.
Stanton County: Welch, J. H.; Elmore, Mrs. J. D.; DeGroot, Anna - all of Stanton.
Thurston County: Goer, Isabelle - Pender
Wayne County: Fenske, Mary - Hoskins; Wilson, E. P., Abbot, Mrs. J. E., Jones, Mrs. Nellie - all of Wayne.
Pierce County: Bowen, O. R.; Rohn, J. F.; Pilger, Frank; Kayl, Evaline; all of Pierce, Ellis, M, I. Osmond; Cole, A. G. - Plainview; Holly, Jessie; Hall, Jennie; McHenry, Ella - all of Plaimview.
Boyd County: Kingham, R. S. - Butte; Demel, J. F. -Spencer; Witherby, Maud -Bristow; Dugger, A.F. -Anoka; Cox, Viola -Lynch; Morrow, Anna - Spencer; Dixon, Marguerite - Spencer; O'Brian, Nona -Anoka; Manville, C.A. -Butte.
Knox County: Murphy, E.A. ; Kintz, Winifred; Clifton, Agnes; Beach, Verda E. & Vera M. -Creighton; Marshall, F.C. -Center; Risinger, Cecil & Alice -Venus; Brown, Lester -Bloomfield; Anderson, Marie -Wausa.
Lancaster County: McLaughlin, A.L. Lincoln.
Cedar County: Cook, Bertha & Grace -St. James; Shearer, Elza & Nettie -Laurel; Miller, W. E. -Hartington; Power, J. F. Magnet; Fimel, Lena -St. James; Ward, Earl; Scoville, Myrtle M. - Hartington; Stine, John C. -Randolph.
Platte County: Cogil, Anna Columbus; Porterfield, Marian; Moore, Ora -Humphrey.
Douglas County: Davis, S.E. -Omaha.
Dixon County: Harper, Cathalyn -Allen; Teed, A.V. -Ponca; Jacobson, Edith -Emerson; Olmstead, Laura -Emerson; Cavamaugh, Constance -Allen; Seeley, W.J. -Emerson.
Madison County: Bodwell, E.J.; Pilger, Otelia; Kennedy, A.G.; Tannehill, Mud (sic); Letto, Elmore; Mathewson, Louise; McFarland, Bessie; Potras, Nora; Ransom, Dollie; Reese, Pearl; Viele, Frances; Feeler, Mrs. L. M.; Viele, Mrs. A.H. (Edith); Toomey, Ella; Carberry, Nan and P.E. - all from Norfolk. Squier, Lida; Colegrave, Oscar; Neidig, Anna; Bryant, Hazel; Taylor. Lila; Purdue, Frank F.; Van Blaricon, Dora; Reeves, Manie - all from Madison. Stirk, Stella & Simmons, Elsie -from Battle Creek. Colegrave, Oscar & Cloyd, Audrey -from Meadow Grove. Bennett, Myrtle & Kielty, Mamie -from Tilden.
(History of Isaac P. Carter Family)
Submitted by Mrs. Alfred B. Richmond, Jr., Holdrege, Phelps Co. NE
Source: Graduation announcement Upland High School, Franklin County, May 12, 1926
Class Roll: Elmer Christiansen, Calvin Sorensen, Alice Sinnen, Lester Schachtler, Richard Roggenkamp, Marie Work, George Howell, Ruby Hendricks, Elmer Gilgen, Clarence Ibsen, John B. Waterman, Prin.; Edward T. Whiting, Supt.
Source: Commencement Exercises announcement, Axtell, NE 1904
Class Roll: Hildore Alsid, Robert Beckstrom, Lillian Carlson, Emma Engberg, Herbert Markward, Grant Burman, Ernest Danly, Lillian Hilberg, Lena Morby, Velma Weedlun.
Source: News clippings in my possession.
Riley Husband went to Upland, Monday, and it is reported he was to be married to Miss Mamie Seaberg Tuesday, but they have not returned yet.
Riley Husband and his new wife have commenced housekeeping in the Frank Rist house. - January 12, 1894.
25th Wedding Anniversary
Twenty-eight relatives and friends took possession of the J.R. Husband home Sunday, the occasion being a surprise planned in honor of Mr. and Mrs. Husbands' 25th wedding anniversary which was Jan, 9, but owing to the flu, bad roads, and sickness was impossible to be held then. About fifty guests who had planned to be present were unavoidably absent. Those present were: Mr. and Mrs. John Seberg, parents of Mrs. Husband, L. A. Seberg and family, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Christiansen and family, Mr. and Mrs. Roy Imhof and Emma Brown all of Upland, Mr. and Mrs. C. P. Christiansen and family of Holdrege, Rev. Bucknell and sons of Alma. The guests brought well filled baskets, among the good things was a bride's cake made by Hazel Christiansen. After a word of thanks to God by C. P. Christiansen the dinner was served cafeteria style. After a short musical program, Rev. Bucknell presented Mr. and Mrs. Husband with $25 in behalf of the guests, significant of 25 years wedded life.
Source: History of Isaac P. Carter Family and their Descendants
Compiled by his Grandson, Howard Carter, Washington, Iowa 1905
MATTIE JANE (SEBERG) CHRISTIANSEN
Mattie Jane, second daugher of Sarah Jane Carter and John Seberg, (daughter of Howard Carter, son of Isaac C. Carter), was born April 7, 1875, Henderson county, Illinois; died 19 .
She was brought to Henry county, Iowa, while a baby and after a few years taken to Kearney county, Nebraska, where she grew to womanhood. And although the days are passed when the girls and women spun the wool and flax and wove the cloth to make the family clothing, her home was not the home of the greatest plenty and in her young womanhood she worked as a domestic to clothe herself and yet this work prepares girls for good housekeepers if their education is neglected on account of it which is often the case.
Charley P. Christiansen, son of Andrew C. and Marie P. (Frederickson) Christiansen, was born Oct. 12, 1871, Kenosha Co., Wisc,; died 19 .
His parents were natives of Denmark, Europe. He came to Kearney county, Nebr., during the seventh year of his age where he grew to manhood in a country that was just settling up and sod houses were a very common thing as well as stables covered with the grass that grew on the plains. Only the necessaries of life with plenty of hard work and little schooling made him a good farmer.
Mattie Jane Seberg and Charley P. Christiansen were married July 9, 1892, Kearney county, Nebraska. To this union three children were born: Raymond Levi, Sept 12, 1893 Kearney County, Nebraska; died 19 ; Nettie Lenora, Sept. 1, 1900, Kearney county, Nebraska; died 19 . Pearl Mae, May 16, 1903, Kearney county, Nebraska; died 19 .
They went to housekeeping in Minden where he engaged in the livery business, but not making a success of it they sold out and went to farming and now have a good place well stocked and plenty about them to enjoy the blessings of life.
She was raised by Methodist parents. His parents were Baptists and some time after their marriage they united with the Baptist church and are devoted Christian workers in the Master's vineyard.
HATTIE GRACE (SEBERG) CHRISTIANSEN
Hattie Grace, third daughter of Sarah Jane Carter and John Seberg (daughter of Howard Carter, son of Isaac C. Carter), was born May 23, 1877, Mount Pleasant, Henry county, Iowa; died 19 .
In the seventh year of her age she went with her parents to Kearney county, Nebraska, where she grew to womanhood working away from home part of the time to provide herself with clothing. The society in this new country was very good, but school privileges were too meager for a girl to get a good education.
Frank Christiansen, son of Andrew C. and Marie P. (Frederickson) Christiansen, was born March 27, 1879, Kearney county, Nebraska; died 19 . He of Danish descent.
He grew to manhood near where he was born, working on a farm in very good society and attended school as much of the time as he could,
Hattie Grace Seberg and Frank Christianson were married April 4, 1900, Kearney county, Nebraska. Two children were born to this union: Hazel Newetta, Jan. 1, 1902, Kearney county, Nebraska, died 19 ; Viola Marie, May 22, 1904, Kearney county, Nebraska, died 19 .
They went to housekeeping on the homestead farm where they have a pleasant home and are engaged in farming and raising stock.
She was raised by Methodist parents. His parents were Baptists and since their marriage they have united with the Baptist church with the intention of bettering their own condition, and that they may help others to a better life,
HENRY EARL SEBERG
Henry Earl, third son of Sarah Jane Carter and John Seberg (daughter of Howard Carter, son of Isaac C. Carter), was born May 19, 1883, Mount Pleasant, Henry county, Iowa; died 19 .
In the first year of his age his parents moved on the railroad to Kearney county, Nebraska, where he grew to manhood in a home where there none of the extra comforts of life and where there was a poor chance to get an education, but his desire for a good education was strong and he did the best he could in the common schools. During his monority (sic) he was permitted to work away from home part of the time and he saved his money with the intention of attending college and is now in his first year at Lincoln in college,
In early life he united with the Methodist Episcopal church and has been faithful in his church work, hoping that he may be better qualified for service as he expects to fit himself for the ministry.
NANCY MAHALA (CARTER) SNELL
Nancy Mahala, first daughter of Howard and Eleanor (Lyon) Carter (son of Isaac C. Carter, son of Isaac P. Carter), was born Jan. 24, 2852 (sic), Matthews, Grant County, Indiana; died 19 .
Her childhood days were spent on the farm where she was born with plenty of work to do. As she was the oldest of the family the housework and the care of the children fell heavily on her. There was a schoolhouse close by, where she attended school. In the fourteenth year of her age, she went with her parents to Henry county, Iowa, a nice prairie country, where they soon had a good farm and a comfortable hone in good society, with good school and church privileges.
Her mother had a loom and she became an expert carpet weaver. The weaving of other goods had passed away and the time had come that most parents thought girls ought to have a good education which she got in the common schools, but her school days were cut short by the death of her mother in 1870, when it fell to her lot to take care of the house and younger children, the youngest being three years old. This she faithfully did until others got large enough to take charge of the house and let her go to Howe's Normal School at Mt. Pleasant and prepare herself for teaching in the public schools, in which business she was engaged the most of the time until she was married. Boarding most of the time at home, she had the oversight of the other children all the time,
William Henry Snell, son of Henry and Emmeline Clark Snell, was born January 10, 1840, Dearborn county, Indiana; died 19 .
His parents were natives of the United States. His early life was spent where he was born until 1848, when his parents moved to Bureau county, Illinois, where he grew to manhood, going to school and working on a farm. He also learned the wagon maker trade and worked at it several years. In 1861 he was married to Clarissa Atwood. Three children were born to them: Timothy Eugene, September 29, 1863, Bureau county, Ill., died Feb. 21, 1865, Bureau county, Ill.; Clara August, August 31, 1865, Bureau county, Ill., died Jan. 18, 1882, Henry county, Iowa; Austin Henry, June 24, 1871, Bureau county, Illinois, died 19 .
He moved his family
to Henry county, Iowa, in 1875 and settled on a farm near Swedesburg. Here
the wife and mother died. He took her back to Illinois for burial and left
the children there to be taken care of and came back and worked on the farm.
Nancy Mahala Carter and William Henry Snell were married November 20, 1879,
Mt. Pleasant, Iowa. To them one child was born: Ralph
Howard, October 8, 1862, Stuttgart Arkansas; died 19 .
She taught school in Washington county the winter after they were married and he went back to Illinois and stayed until the next March, when he came back to Iowa and they went to housekeeping on his farm east of Swedesburg. They improved the farm by putting in tile and erecting a good barn. Prosperity followed their labors and they soon had plenty about them; but he thought he would like to live in a warmer climate, so late in the fall he and his brother-in-law, George H. Carter, started with a team and carriage to go to St. Charles, Louisiana. When they arrived at Keokuk they got all on a steamboat and went to Memphis, Tenn. getting off on the west side of the river they drove to Stuttgart, Arkansas, where he traded the team for a farm and came back to Iowa. The next winter he made a trip to St. Charles and another to Arkansas and came home satisfied that Arkansas was the place to go and they moved there in January, 1890. The moving was done by loading a car with horses, farming utensils and household goods, a man going along to take care of the horses. Five years residence satisfied them that this was a poor country for farming and they traded their place for land in Nebraska and July 27, 1897, they started with two mule teams to move to Holt county, Nebraska. One of the mules died a few days after they started; they got shafts for the buggy and went on, camping out by the way. The trip occupied forty-five days. They arrived at their new home among entire strangers and moved into a house that for sometime had been occupied by a very trifling lot of renters that had but few neighbors. Nothing better was expected from Arkansas, so the neighbors still kept away. His hand got sore with what the doctors called a frog felon and was so bad that she had to dress it every hour for several weeks. It laid him up all winter and when farming time came, she had to help him about hitching up the team and to do other work. During the spring and summer they went to church and became acquainted with a better class of people and soon had plenty of good neighbors.
He was raised by a devoted Christian mother who instructed her children in the way of life and salvation. Her parents were Methodists and early in life she united with that church and was a devoted Christian girl. When twenty years old she heard the coining of the Lord preached by the First Day Adventists and, being convinced that it was the Bible truth, she accepted it with all her heart. This led her to study the Bible for more light, which led to a deeper work of grace in the heart and a better knowledge of His Word, which she could readily communicate to others.
In the Sunday school she is an exceptionally good teacher for the little children. In all her life she has been an earnest teacher in the Sunday school whenever she could attend. She is now a member of the Christian Advent church and doing good work for the Master and many thank the Lord for the good instruction they received from her,
SARAH JANE (CARTER) SEBERG
Sarah Jane, second daughter of Howard and Eleanor (Lyon) Carter (son of Isaac G. Carter, son of Isaac P. Carter), was born July 1, 1853, Matthews, Grant county, Indiana, died 19 .
Her childhood days were spent on the farm where she was born, going to school and enjoying other duties and pleasures of children. In the eighth year of her age she went with the family to Mt. Pleasant, Henry county, Iowa, where she grew to womanhood on a farm that her father was improving on prairies land. Ready made clothing had crowded the spinning wheel and loom to the attic. The kerosene lamp had taken the place of the tallow candle, but as yet no organ had got into this home, where there was plenty of work and vocal music, which with going to school in better schools and longer terms than we ad (sic) in Indiana, occupied the time of the children as they were growing up.
John Seberg, first son of Andrew P. and Mary E. Seberg, was born May 11, 1847, Sweden, Europe; died 19 .
He came to the United States in his childhood days with the family and settled in Jefferson county, Iowa, in 1857. A few years later they moved to Henry county where he became acquainted with his future wife. He enlisted in the army at Quincy, March 8, 1865, Company H, Twenty-eighth Illinois Infantry an (sic) although very young he served until after the close of the war, being discharged March 8, 1866, at Brownville, Texas.
Sarah Jane Carter and John Seberg were married Sept. 18, 1870, Mt. Pleasant, Henry county, Iowa. To this union ten children were born: Mamie Eleanor, December 21, 1871, Henderson county, Ill,, died 19 . Mattie Jane, April 7, 1875, Henderson county, Ill., died 19 ; Hattie Grace, May 23, 1877, Henry county, Iowa, died 19 ; Lewis Alfred, August 29, 1879, Henry county, Iowa, died 19 ; Harlan Clyde, November 16, 1881, Henry county, Iowa, died June 15, 1882, Mt. Pleasant, Henry county, Iowa; Henry Earl, May 19, 1883, Henry county, Iowa, died 19 ; Maud Willhemina, March 26, 1890, Kearney county, Nebr., died August 16, 1896, Kearney county, Nebr.; Mabel Arsina, March 26, 1890, Kearney county, Nebr., died July 13, 1890, Kearney county, Nebr.; Effel May, April 19, 1892, Kerney (sic) county, Nebr., died August 1, 1892, Kearney county, Nebr.; Andrew, Sept. 26, 1894, Kearney county, Nebr., died Sept. 26, 1894, Kearney county, Nebr.
They went to housekeeping in the neighborhood where they were married. In the fall of 1871 they moved to Henderson county, Illinois, and engaged in farming and feeding cattle for another
man. The spring of 1876 they moved back to Henry county, Iowa, and went to farming.
He and his brother-in-law, Leroy P. Carter, bought an eight horse power separator thrashing machine and ran it very successfully while they stayed in Iowa, but that was hard work both on men and horses. January, 1884, they moved to Kearney county, Nebraska, settling near Axteli. They farmed with varied success, part of the time doing a big business on a large farm and part of the time pretty hard up for a living.
They remained in Kearney county about sixteen years, when they moved to Franklin county, where he had bought a quarter section of unimproved land a few miles south of Upland. This they have improved by building a good house and barn and other improvements for comfort and have 70 acres in cultivation where they now live in comfort, anxious to have their friends visit them as they are all alone, the children married, or away from home, or at school.
She was raised by Methodist parents and early in life united with the church. His parents were members of the Lutheran church, but he united with the Methodist people before they were married and they are still members of that church and doing what they can to help others to a better life. One of their sons is now at school, studying in view of entering the ministry.
From the 1901 1902 Nebraska Blue Book: Lincoln's "Home for the Friendless"
In 1876 some of the charitable women of Nebraska organized a society known as the "Home of the Friendless." the object of which was to furnish a refuge for friendless children, girls, young women, and old ladies. This society was duly incorporated under the laws of the state of Nebraska and has been managed continuously, from the time of its incorporation, by a board of ladies, who have served without pay, mileage, or financial recompense whatever. Absolutely non-sectarian, as every religious organization has been represented, and absolutely non-political.
So many friendless and deserted children came to our doors requiring protection that the state legislature in 1881 appropriated the sum of $5,000 to assist the society by the erection of a permanent building. In 1887 an appropriation of $2,000 was made to provide bread and milk. As the state has grown this charitable work has increased, and the legislative appropriations have assisted the society in carrying on their great work.
Nearly 3,5?00 friendless children have been received within the shelter of this institution, and permanent homes have been found for them among the good and substantial citizens of our state. Many of these children are as dear to their foster parents as our sons and daughters are to us. A record is kept of each child, and a useful future is assured to these unfortunate children, who otherwise would have contributed to the haunts of vice and swell the roll of criminals. More than a thousand wives and mothers have been cared for by the Home. The value of this work cannot be measured, and will only be known when the record is made up by the recording angel above. The aged inmates have not been numerous, but a constant care and solicitude.
The magnitude of this work can only be appreciated by those who intimately acquaint themselves with the daily working of this society. Christian woman have devoted much of their time and their best energies, and contributed of their substance, to the caring for these unfortunates for years. Many of these ladies have labored in this work as no paid employe or board would have done. Economy and Christian watchfulness have ever governed all the transaction of the Society of the Home for the Friendless of Nebraska.
Auxillary societies have been organized by the charitable women of many towns throughout the state, and have contributed all the funds required by the society before a assistance (?) was appropriated by the legislature, and have always contributed a large portion of the supplies received by the Home. Requests and these contributions, together with the assistance rendered by generous contributors, have enabled the society to continue its work since the state's assistance was withdrawn.
** Note: These electronic pages are provided for your personal use, and may not be reproduced in any format for profit, nor for presentation in any form by any other organization or individual. They may be freely copied for your personal use. **
Return to Volume Nine TOC
© 2007 for NSGS & NEGenWeb Project by Ted & Carole Miller