THOMAS CALVARY CEMETERY
| Back to Cemetery Index | |Tunison Cemetery
When Mary Thomas died in 1858, there was no Catholic cemetery nearby; in
fact there was no Catholic cemetery in Sarpy County. Her husband buried his
wife on the family farm. Afterwards other family member and neighbors were
buried in the small cemetery located on the side of a grassy hill. In fact that grassy
hillside consisted of native prairie grasses, and is one of the few remaining stands
of such native Nebraska plants. Although Sarpy County was covered with prairie, almost
all of it has been broken by the plow.
It is located in the Northwest Quarter of Sec 27, Twp 14, Range 10, northwest
of Gretna on So 240th St. north of Lincoln Rd. There is no public access; it is surrounded
by private land.
Later, members of the families buried at Thomas Calvary Cemetery (especially
Thomases, Melias, Gillespies and Langdons) were buried at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery.
Gary Iske, Sarpy County Genealogical Society, 1995.
See Karen's Thomas Calvary Cemetery pages
Back to Sarpy County