ANDERSON GROVE CEMETERY | Back to Cemetery Index| Bailey Cemetery


Anderson Grove Cemetery is located on 36th St. between Hwy 370 and Capehart Rd. Jefferson Bailey's young daughter died in 1862 and he buried her on the family farm. Bailey was married to Mary Jane Anderson and part of her father's land, located south of Bailey's, was wooded and was known as Anderson Grove. When Bailey established the cemetery, he named it in honor of his wife's family.

In the deed and on the plat, both dated 1875, the name appears as Anderson Grove Cemetery. In later years it was commonly referred to as the Bailey Cemetery. When the new "Anderson Grove" sign was put on the front gate a couple decades ago, some of the "old-timers" were a little upset about the name "change," not realizing that Anderson Grove was in fact the original name.

The deed from Jefferson and Mary J. Bailey to Jefferson Bailey, Abner W. Trumble and Joseph M. Whitted, Trustees of the Anderson Grove Cemetery Association was signed on 8 May 1875 and filed on 19 Jul 1875 in Book "H", Page 513. The consideration was $1.00 for the tract of land described in the deed as follows:"Commencing at the North East corner of the South East of the North East quarter of Section five in township Thirteen North of Range Thirteen East of the sixth principal meridian, running thence South on Section line Twenty five rods, thence West Sixteen rods, Thence North Twenty five rods, Thence East Sixteen rods to place of beginning, and containing Two and One half acres."

The plat "Map of Anderson Grove Cemetery" was filed in Book "K", Page 763 on 19 Jul 1875 at "1.1/2 O'clock P.M."

The remains of early pioneers who were buried in the old Ireland Cemetery were moved here (Lot 03 02) in 1966.

The cemetery is well kept and is still in use, although it is nearing capacity.

Contact person

Harold Wiese

Gary Iske, Sarpy County Genealogical Society, 1995.


Anderson Grove Burials

View Marta Dawes' Anderson Grove pictures

Back to Sarpy County