History by Kevin P. Brown
was organized in 1883. The first white men settled here sometime prior to 1873
and lived a few miles southeast of Taylor in the Sioux Creek-Kent area. The
first county seat was situated at Kent but was wrestled away by Taylor shortly
after in 1883.
The population continued to grow as the homeseekers
arrived, particularly following the Kinkaid Act of 1904 which helped to settle
the Sandhills areas of Nebraska and the northern part of Loup County. According
to theApri121, 1904, Taylor Clarion, there were 21Y7 ,780 acres of Loup County
land that came under the Kinkaid Acts. By 1930, however, census figures had
dropped significantly and have continued in that pattern. The most recent
estimates place the county population at around 850.
County had a fair number of rural post offices and communities when more people
lived here and roads and transportation were poorer. Kent, Munson, Strohl,
Almeria, Nunda, Crane, Cooleyton (Madison Square), Moulton, Butka, Prime,
Ferguson, Gracie, Calamus, Fox, Ovitt, Valleyview, and Harrop were once
operational in addition to the post office at Taylor . Today offices operate
only at Taylor (population 250) and at Almeria, an unincorporated village 10
miles west and north of Taylor. Almeria, founded in 1884, also features a
community hall used for many functions across the country.
rivers ( the North Loup and the Calamus) and two highways (U.S. 183 and State
Highway 91) are vital to the county. Both rivers are scenic at all times of the
year. The name "calamus" is
K-12 accredited, county-wide school operates in Taylor. A new grade school
building was completed for Loup County Public School in 1982. Redistricting was
completed in 1971 and went into effect in the fall of 1972. Before that, Loup
County had had up to 42 operating school districts.
village square at Taylor is distinctive, accentuated by ancient, shady
cottonwoods in the central park. Most of the year the town is rather quiet, but
when Loup County Fair time rolls around in mid-August, the county seat becomes a
whirlwind of activity.
Taylor Clarion is the county's oldest continuing business. Founded at Kent in
1883, the office later moved to Taylor where it has remained. The Bank of Taylor
was founded in 1905 and is housed in a unique facility built in 1914. Region 26
Communications Center which serves Blaine, Loup, Garfield, Wheeler, Custer,
Valley, Sherman, and Greeley counties is also headquartered in Taylor. A log
cabin museum, constructed in 1941, contains many artifacts. Each log of the
cabin was donated by a Loup County pioneer family. About 500 people toured the
museum on July 4, 1983. There are two churches, the Methodist and the Assembly
of God. The once grand Pavillion Hotel was built in 1887 and serves as Taylor's
most prominent landmark. Still in use today, there is talk of a major
restoration of the complex in the future.
County is totally agriculture oriented, both in farming and in ranching. Fine
cattle of many breeds can be found at any number of large and small ranches. The
Upstream Ranch north of Taylor is well known as are others including the Liddy,
Gracie Creek Ranch, Circle A, and Wallace River Ranch to name a few.
County's Centennial was impressively observed in 1983 with major celebrations
during the July 4 holiday and the County Fair in August. Some of the friendliest
Nebraskans to be found in the state call Loup County home.
Loup County Historical Society,
Taylor, NE 68879-0102
Created by Patricia C. Ash 2002
Updated: 24 April 2003