WILLIAM FIELDING BAYNE, M. D., has for nearly half a century been engaged in the practice of medicine in Macomb, and for many vears has been numbered among the most prominent physicians of McDonough County. He was born in Shelby County, Ky., on the 2d of january, 1827 and is a son of William and Barbara (Blankenbaker) Bayne, the former a native of Culpeper County, Va., and the latter of Bourbon County, Ky. His maternal grandfather, Nicholas Blankenbaker, was one of the heroes of the Revolution who served under Washington during the struggle for independence. The Bayne family was founded in America about 1660, by five brothers of that name, natives of ScotIand, who crossed the Atlantic and settled along the Potomac. The representatives of the family in America are their descendants. The grandfather of our subject bore the name of George Bayne.
The Doctor's father, William Bayne, followed the vocation of farming throughout the greater part of his life, and was quite successful as an agriculturist. At length he left Kentucky to become a resident of the new State of Illinois. The journey hither was made by wagon, and the territory through which they passed was so unimproved that in order to cross the streams they had to build rafts on which to float their goods across. They first took up their residence in Adams County, and thence removed to Hancock County, settling near Augusta, where the father died in 1854, In the family were nine children, of whom six grew to mature years while three of the number are yet living, the Doctor and two sisters.
In the usual manner of farmer lads William F. Bayne spent the days of his boyhood and youth. He remained under the parental roof until he had attained his majority, when, wishing to engage in some other pursuit than that of farming, he began working at the carpenter's trade. With a view to entering the medical profession and making its practice his life work, he began studying with Dr. G. H. Young, of Adams County, and when he had become quite proficient he opened an office in Barry, Pike County. This was in March, 1854. In the following September he came to Macomb where he has since engaged in practice, with the exception of that period which he spent among the boys in blue during the late war.
Dr. Bavne has been twice married. He first wedded Martha Herndon, who survived their marriage a little less than a year. On the 24th of October, 1854, he wedded Lydia J. Fream, who has been to him a faithful companion and helpmeet on life's journey. They became the parents of seven children, only two are living, George Grant, and Nellie May, wife of Frank Knight, who follows farming near Macomb .
After the breaking out of the late war, the Doctor expressed a wish to enter the service, and his wife loyally responded that if he felt his country needed him, and that it was his duty to go she would put forth no effort to prevent it. He enlisted on the 2d of August, 1861, and became Captain of Company B, Tenth Missouri Infantry. He was engaged in service in Missouri, Arkansas. Mississippi and Louisiana, and participated in the battles of Corinth, Iuka, Jackson, Champion Hill, Thompson Hill and Vicksburg. At the battle of Corinth a piece of his ear was shot away. On the 26th of June, 1863, Capt Bayne resigned on account of failing health, and crossed the mountains in the hope of being benefited thereby. He was greatly improved, and during his western trip his weight was increased from one hundred and twenty-nine to one hundred and eighty-four pounds. He returned home in the fall of 1864.
Dr. Bayne is one of the most prominent citizens of Macomb, and has been closely identified with its upbuilding and development for half a century, He has aided in the promotion of a number of its leading enterprises, and thus added materially to the prosperity of the city, He was one of the leading factors in the organization of the Tile and Sewer Pipe Works and is now President of the company, which position he has held for eleven years, having been elected in 1883. This is an important industry, which constantly employs from forty to sixty-five men. Shipments are made chiefly to the West, from Manitoba to Kansas City, Denver and other points. The largest shipments, however, are made to St. Paul and Minneapolis.
In politics, the Doctor has taken an active interest. In the campaign of 1860, he labored untiringly in the interest of the Republican party, and was Captain of a company of Wide-Awakes. He was well fitted for the drill work connected therewith, for he had studied tactics with his father, who was a leader of militia in Kentucky. The Doctor continued to vote with the Republican party until 1884, since which time he has been a Prohibitionist, and was a delegate to the National Prohibition Convention of 1892. He served as Mayor of Macomb for one term. For about twelve years he has filled the office of Alderman, and for many years has been a member of the School Board. Socially, he is connected with the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and is a faithful and consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
THOMAS H. BOSCOW, M. D., who is successfully engaged in the practice of medicine at Kirksville, Mo., but resides in Warsaw, is a native of England, his birth having occurred in Liverpool on the 27th of April, 1819. His parents were Nicolas and Alice (Newell) Boscow. The father engaged in merchandising in his native land until 1842, when with his family he immigrated to America. He took up his residence in Hancock County, Ill., but his death occurred in Buffalo, N. Y., in 1824, while visiting a daughter in that city.
The Doctor is one of twelve children. He bade adieu to home and friends in 1842, and sailed for New Orleans, from whence he made his way to Peoria, and thence to Hancock County, Ill. Here he purchased a farm and carried on agricultural pursuits for about ten years. Ere leaving his native land, he had studied medicine, and embarked in his profession on the Isle of Man. In 1853, he came to Warsaw and opened a store, dealing in drygoods. He carried on operations along that line with fair success until 1868, when he sold out and resumed the practice of medicine. He is a skilled physician, and makes a specialty of chronic diseases. He has an office in Kirksville, Mo., and for a time also had a branch office in Quincy, Ill. On the 17th of June, 1840, was celebrated the marriage of Dr. Boscow and Miss Anna F. Bonnyman, a native of the Isle of Man. Her mother, Mrs. Jane Maria (Radcliffe) Bonnyman, was also born on the Isle of Man, at the old homestead which had been in possession of the Radcliffe family for three hundred years. After the death of her husband she managed the affairs of the estate. She reached the very advanced age of ninety-two years, and up to the very last retined her mental and physical faculties to a remarkable degree.
Unto Mr. and Mrs. Boscow were born nine children, of whom four are still living. Harding, Alexander and Thomas are all residents of California. Maria is living in Warsaw. One son, Charles S., became a physician of California. He graduated from the High School of Warsaw when only sixteen years of age, the youngest pupil who had ever graduated here up to that time. He was graduated from the Keokuk Medical College in 1884, and in 1886 removed to California, where he became an active and prominent member of the State Medical Society. His death occurred on the 21st of January, 1888. A daughter, Mrs. Fannie Wolf, died in New York, July 15, 1864. Sarah was the wife of Dr. Bull, of Kahoka, Mo., and died January 29, 1894.
Dr. Boscow votes with the Republican party and keeps well informed on all the issues of the day, but has never sought or desired political preferment. In religious belief he is an Episcopalian. The greater part of his life has been devoted to the practice of medicine, and he has ever been a close student of the profession. He has made a specialty of chronic diseases, and in this line has won prominence. He receives from the publci a liberal patronage, which is well merited by his skill and ability.
ALBERT FULLER was born in Sandisfield, Mass.,on the 5th of September, 1804, died in Warsaw, Ill., February 6, 1880, in the seventy-sixth year of his age. He was respected by all who knew him, and his loss was deeply mourned. His father, Joseph Fuller, was a farmer, but the son was reared to mercantile pursuits, and in his native State followed merchandising for some time. In 1850, he left his old home and removed to Vermont, becoming proprietor of a paper-mill in Fair Haven. He continued its operation for five years, and in 1855 removed to Granville, N.Y., whree he spent one year.
During the succeeding year, Mr. Fuller severed all business relations in the East and emigrated to Illinois, taking up his residentce in Warsaw, whree he spent his remaining days. He became one of the leading stockholders in a foundry, and continued in that line of business with excellent success for many years.
On the 8th of September, 1840, Mr. Fuller was united in marriage with mrs. Julia May, a daughter of Asa and Adah Judd. She came from an old Massachusetts family, which was founded in America during early Colonial days. Her father was a farmer and also engaged in the manufacture of paper. She was born in Otis, Berkshire County, Mass., January 21, 1815, and is now the only surviving member of her father's family. Her brother, Dr. Homer Judd, came to Warsaw in 1853, and engaged in the practice of medicine and dentistry here for a number of years. He became one of the most prominent men in the dental profession, and was known throughout the country. His death occurred in Upper Alton, Ill., May 20, 1890. Another brother, Orson Judd, resided in Shalersville, Ohio. Riley was a fruit-grower of Kansas, and a sister was the wife of Dr. J.B. Merryman, a physician now of Dixon, Ill.
Previous to her marriage with our subject, Mrs. Fuller was the wife of Charles May. Their wedding was celebrated ont eh 21st of June, 1837, and they became the parents of one son, Charles, who was born May 10, 1838. He graduated from a medical and also a dental college of Cincinnati. During the late war he entered the army, and his service so impaired his health that his death occurred on the 11th of March, 1867.
To Mr. and Mrs. Fuller were born three children. Dr. A.H. is now engaged in the practice of dentistry in St. Louis, and holds a foremost place in professional ranks. Dr. Briggs Judd, who was born December 8, 1843, became a physician, but enterd the army as a member of Comapny A, One Hundred and Thirty-seventh Illinois Infantry. He was captured by Gen. Forest near Memphis, Tenn., July 21, 1864, and was incarcerated for a year in Cahaba Prison, Ala. His was the regiment that started home on the ill-fated "Sultana," but fortunately for the Doctor he had taken passage on the "magenta" the day previous. Helen A. is the youngest member of the Fuller family, and resides in Warsaw.
Mr. Fuller was possessed of excellent business ability, was enterprising and industrious, and his energy and perseverance made his business career one of success. He took an active interest in the upbuilding of Warsaw and was long numbered among its leading and progressive citizens. The history of his life well deserves a place in this volume.
ERASTIS HUEY now follows farming on section 17, St. Mary's Township, Hancock County. The name of Huey is inseparably connected with the history of this community, for the family of our subject came here in early pioneer days, and its members have borne a prominent part in the work of advancement and public improvement. His parents, John and Matilda (Rice) Huey, were both natives of Boone County, Ky., and came of old southern families, of whom further mention is made in connection With the sketch of William Huey, on another page of this work. The father was one of twelve children, and was reared as a farmer. Throughout life he followed agricultural pursuits, and for many years was a leading farmer of this locality. He came to Illinois in 1833, and after three years spent in Schuyler County, took up his residence in Hancock County, where his remaining days were passed. All who knew him respected him for his sterling worth and excellencies of character, and his death, which occurred at the age of seventy-two years was deeply mourned by many friends. His wife, a most estimable lady, passed away four years previous, dying at the age of sixty-two. Of their family of ten sons and two daughters, the following are yet living: Erastus; William; Frances, wife of Dr. James H. Turner, Robert, of McDonough County; Agnes, wife of Reuben Garnett; James, of St. Mary's Township; Perry C. and George, who also live in the same township; and Frederick Gilmore, of Clarke County, Mo.
Our subject was a lad of six summers when, with his parents, he became a resident of this locality. Upon the old Huey farm he was reared, and his entire life has been passed within four miles of his present home. When a young man he studied medicine, but never engaged in the practice of his profession, preferring to follow the pursuit with which he had been familiar from earliest boyhood. After arriving at years of maturity, he began farming in his own interest, and his well-directed efforts have been crowned with success, for he is now owner of two hundred acres of valuable land, constituting one of the finest farms of the township.
Mr. Huey was joined in wedlock February 1, 1858, with Martha Susan Dale, daughter of Lunsford Dale, a native of Kentucky. Seven children have been born to them. Ida is the wife of I. N. Jeffries, by whom she has two children, Ormer and Ray. Mr. and Mrs. Jeffries make their home with her father. John R., who married Miss Helen Holbert, by whom he has three children, resides near Colmar, in McDonough County. William E. married Miss Ryle, and is located in Hancock County. Fannie is the wife of Walter Cannon, and they live on a farm in St. Mary's Township with their daughter Nellie. Walter and Olivia are yet at home; and one child died in in fancy. The mother died June 10, 1891, in the faith of the Baptist Church, of which she was a member. Mr. Huey belongs to the same church, as do his brother and three of his children. In politics, he is a Democrat, but has never been an office-seeker. He came to Hancock County fifty-seven years ago, when it was an unbroken wilderness, and when there were only three houses between his father's home and Carthage. He has taken a just pride in the growth and development of his adopted county, and by his support and cooperation he has aided in its advancement and upbuilding.
JACOB KRIEG, who carries on general farming on section I6, Carthage Township, is numbered amoang the early settlers of Hancock County. He has here resided since 1856, and during all these years has made his home upon his present farm. He now owns one hundred and two acres of good land, and is engaged in general farming and stock-raising. The place is neat and thrifty in appearance, and the practical and progressive spirit of the owner has made him one of the leading agriculturist of the community.
Mr. Krieg is a native of the Keystone State, his birth having occured in Euphrates, Lancaster County, on the 16th of March, 1815. He is a son of John Krieg, who was born in Pennsylvania, and was of German descent. The mother bore the maiden name of Sarah Gorgas. In the Krieg family were eleven children: Cyrus and John, both of whom are now deceased; Jacob, our subject; Allen, who is extensively engaged in farming in Miami County, Ind.; Mary, deceased; Samuel, a retired farmer, now living in Manchester, Ind.; Martin, who has also passed away; Levi, a mechanic residing in Indianapolis, Ind.; William, deceased; Benjamin, who follows agricultural pursuits near Disco, Ind.; and Philip, a ramer of the same locality.
No event of special importance occurred during the boyhood and youth of Jacob Krieg. He spent his early days in the usual manner of farmer lads, and acquired his education in the district schools of the neighborhood, which he attended at various intervals until sixteen years of age. He continued upon the old homestead until the age of nineteen, when he began working at the carpenter's trade, serving a two-years apprenticeship. He followed that business in the Keystone State until 1836, when he removed to Stark County Ohio, where he engaged in carpentering until 1839. In that year he went to Cincinnati, but remained only a short time in that city. Going to Seven Mile, Butler County, Ohio, he there continued until 1856, during which time he followed carpentering and farming.
In the meantime, Mr. Krieg was married. On the 13th of October, 1832, he was joined in marriage with Miss Jane Ray, a native of Ohio. Six children have been born of their union, namely: Laura M., wife of Francis M. Haines, a farmer residing near Colchester, Ill.; Francis R., who is proprietor of the Carthage Flouring Mills, and a leading business man of that city; John C., who is still living on the old home farm; Thomas B., an agriculturist of McDonough County; Charles 0., who is engaged in farming in Hancock County; and Elanor S., who completes the family.
As before stated, the year 1856 witnessed the arrival of Mr. Krieg in Hancock County. He has seen much of the growth and progress made in this locality, and has always aided in its development, for he takes a warm interest in every thing pertaining to the welfare of the community. He has always followed farming, and in his undertakings has met with a well-merited prosperity. When he started out in life he determined to secure for himself, if possible, a comfortable home and property. He began making his own way in the world empty handed, but he has steadily pressed forward, overcoming the difficulties and obstacles in his path, until he reached the goal which was before him. He is now in comfortable circumstances, and is supplied not only with the necessities, but with many of the luxuries of life. He cast his first Presidential vote for William Henry Harrison, and was an advocate of the Whig party until its dissolution, since which time he has been a stanch supporter of Republican principles.
JOHN M. LUKENS, who is now serving as County Treasurer of Henderson County, and is living on section 17, Rozetta Township, where he owns and operates a good farm, was born in Juniata County, Pa., September 11, 1846, and is a son of John and Mary Lukens. They too were natives of the Keystone State, and on the paternal side the family is of Irish and Scotch descent. The parents had only two sons: William S., a fruit-grower now living in Olena, Ill.; and John M. The father was graduated from Reading College, of Pennsylvania, in 1841, and for thirty years engaged in teaching school, most of the time being employed in Thompsontown. For some time he was Principal of the seminary in that place. He continued to make his home in Pennsylvania until 1851, when he came by boat to Henderson County, Ill., and located near Ward's Mill. There he purchased four hundred and eighty-eight acres of land, mostly timber, and at once began the development of a farm, there making his home until 1856. In 1857, he purchased a tract of land in Warren County, Ill., but was not long permitted to enjoy his new home, for his dath occurred on the 8th of jUly of that year, and his remains were interred in the United Presbyterian Cemetery at Smith Creek. He was a member of the Baptist Church, and of the Odd Fellows' society. For several years he served as Justice of the Peace in Pennsylvania, and was alsways a public-spirited citizen, in whom the best interests of the community found a friend. His wife, who was a member of the United Presbyterian Church, died on the 3d of April, 1869, and was laid to rest by the side of her husband.
Our subject was only ten years of age when he came to this county, and upon the old home farm he was reared to manhood. His early education, acquired in the district schools, was supplemented by study in Monmouth College, of Monmouth Ill., and he then embarked in teaching. He was still at home at the time of the breaking out of the war, but on the 7th of March, 1862, he enrolled his name among the boys in blue for three years' service.
Mr. Lukens was assigned to Company C, Thirty-sixth Illinois Infantry, and was mustered in at Monmouth, Ill. The first active engagement in which he participated was at Mission Ridge. This was followed by the battles of Perryville, Lookout Mountain, Kennesaw Mountain, Peach Tree Creek, Resaca, Buzzard's Roost and many others of lesser importance. In the fall of 1864, he returned home on a furlough of thirty days, and when that period had expired rejoined his regiment at Columbia, Tenn. Fifteen minutes after reaching the forces he went into battle. The regiment took part in the engagements at Spring Hill and Franklin, and then fell back to Nashville, then went to Franklin, and on to New Orleans, where his regiment acted as guard at Gen. Phil Sheridan's headquarters. He was always faithful to his duty, being one of the valiant defenders of the Union cause.
After the war was over, Mr. Lukens was mustered out, in October, 1865, and returned to his home in Warren County. He was then only nineteen years of age. He completed his schooling, and then engaged in farming, after which he bagan teaching school in Henderson County. He has made his home in this county since 1874, at which time he located near Rozetta, where for five years he taught school. He then engaged in teaching at Science Hill for two years, after which he again spent one year in Rozetta, andone year at Belmont Bluff. For four years he was teacher in the Knox district, and altogether has taught about seventeen terms in Henderson County. He was a successful educator, and the couse of education has ever found in him a warm friend.
On the 10th of December, 1873, Mr. Lukens married Miss Emma Woods, and to them have been born four children: Clarence A.: Frank M., who died in infancy; Ralph E. and Mabel Grace. In 1889, Mr. Lukens became a traveling salesman, representing the McNeal & Higgins wholesale grocery, in whose employ he remained for eighteen months. Since that time he has resided with his family in Rozetta Townhip where he owns and operates on hundred and twenty-five acres of good land, his farm being under a high state of cultivation and well improved. In politics, he is a stalwart Republican. For two years he served as County Surveyor to fill an unexpired term, and was then elected for a term of four years. In 1891, he was elected County Treasurer, and is now filling that office with credit to himself and satisfaction to his constituents. He holds membership with the Knights of Pythias Lodge, and the Grand Army of the Republic, and is also a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
JAMES E. MANIFOLD was for many years a prominent citizen of Hancock County, and will be remembered by the greater part of the citizens of this community. A native of Tennessee, he was born in Roane County on the 30th of July, I822. His parents were George and Mary (Persley) Manifold, and their family numbered eight children, five sons and three daughters, who in order of birth were as follows: Sarah, deceased, wife of W. Wheeler, a resident of Jefferson County, Iowa; Nancy, who is now the wife of John McCord, a resident of La Harpe Township, Hancock County; Elizabeth, now deceased; William F.; Joseph N.; James E., of whom we write; Benjamin J., who is living in Durham Township; and John, who makes his home in La Harpe Township. No event of special importance occurred during the boyhood and youth of our subject save his removal to Illinois. When a lad of fourteen years he left his native State and accompanied his parents on their emigration to Illinois. The family located in Hancock County, and the education of James Manifold, which was begun in his native State. was completed in the district schools of this locality. He shared in the trials and hardships of life on the frontier, and was familiar with the history of pioneer life of Hancock County, for he saw this region when it was wild and unimproved, and was an eye-witness of its development and advancement .
After arriving at years of maturity, Mr. Manifold was united in marriage with Miss Elizabeth Logan, a native of Indiana, and a daughter of William and Elizabeth (McCarty) Logan. The lady was born on the 28th of November, 1830, and was educated in the district schools. She has proved to her husband a faithful companion and helpmate, aiding him in his work by her thrifty ways, her good management, encouragement and sympathy. Mr. Manifold always followed the occupation of farming. He first purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land in Durharn Township, eight miles west of the Manifold homestead, and there resided for forty-seven years. He placed the entire tract under the plow, and transformed the once wild land into rich and fertile fields, which yielded to the owner a good income. He then purchased an eighty-acre farm adjoining his first tract, and afterward bought two hundred and forty acres additional.
Subsequently, he bought his present homestead of one hundred and sixty acres, and having made upon this farm some valuable improvements, it becamee one of the best country homes in Hancock County. Altogether he owned seven hundred and ninety acres of valuable land, of which all was arable, with the exception of a thirty-acre timber tract.
For twenty-six years Mr. Manifold was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Durham, and took an active interest in all that pertained to its upbuilding and growth, aud gave liberally to its support. He was also a friend to benevolent and charitable institutions, and the needy were never turned from his door empty handed. In his political views, he was a Republican, but neuer sought or desired officiaI distinction, preferring to devote his entire time and attention to business interests. Whatever he undertook he carried forward to a successful completion, undeterred by any obstacles that might arise in his path. His death occurred August 28, 1892. His widow now manages the estate.
JAMES SAMPLE, who resided in carthage, was born in Maytown, Lancaster County, Pa., and is a son of Robert and Jane (Hawthorne) Sample. The days of his boyhood and youth were spent upon his father's farm., where he remained until twenty-one years of age. He then started out in life for himself, and leaving the East emigrated to Illinoies in 1847. He spent three years in traveling and working at his trade in New Orleans and other places, and in 1850 came to Hancock County, settling near Fountain Green, where he entered land from the Government. In his early life he had learned the trade of a carpenter and joiner, and his brothers, John and Frank, also followed the same pursuit until the war. The parents both died in 1887, at the age of eighty-four.
After coming to Hancock County, Mr. Sample was associated with his borhters in business until he entered the service of his country as a defender of the Union. He was a valiant soldier, alwasys found at his post of duty, and was wounded in the service. The injuries he sustained were such as to unfit him for further work in the line of his trade, and after his return home he embarked in the furniture business, which he successfully carried on until the summer of 1893, when he retired. He not only built up a good trade in thies place, bu also established branch houses at Fountain Green and Ferris. He is a man of excellent business and executive ability, and his well-directed efforts brought him a handsome competency.
In 1852, Mr. Sample was united in marriage with Miss Elizabeth Delia Spangler, of Hancock county. They have an adopted daughter, Katie, now the wife of W. S. Huckins, a traveling salesman, and Mr. and Mrs. Huckins have one son. The Sample home is a comfortable and substantial residence, and in additon to this property our subject owns a business block and is interested in farm lands.
Mr. Sample has always been a supporter of the Republican party since its organization, and for many therms has served on the Town Board. He has been closely identified with the interests of the city, was partly instrumental in securing the establishment of the college in this place, and has done all in his powre toward aiding in those enterprises which are calculated to prove of public benefit, and which advance the best interests of the community. Socially, he is connected with the Masonic fraternity fo Carthage, and is a charter member of the Grand Army post. He is one of the ruling Elders in the Presbyterian Church, and has been active in church and benevolent work. His life has been well and worthily spent, and he is now enjoying a well-earned rest.
LARKIN SCOTT, one of the honored pioneers of Hancock County now living on section 31, Harmony Township, has since 1835 been a resident of this community. Almost sixty years have since passed, and during this long period he has not only witnessed the growth and development of the community, but has also aided in its advancement and progress. The community recognizes in him a valued citizen, and it is therefore with pleasure that we present to our readers this record of his life work.
Mr. Scott is a native of Ashe County, N. C. He was born January 3, 1812, and comes of a family of Scotch origin. His parents were Samuel and Mary (Edwards) Scott, both natives of North Carolina. In their family were ten children, five sons and five daughters: Levi, John, Solomon, Larkin, Sibert, Sallie, Frances, Susan, Nancy and Margaret.
Our subject is now the only surviving member of the family. He spent the first four years of his life in South Carolina, and then accompanied his parents on their removal to Kentucky. A year later they came to Illinois, making the journey by team in the autumn of 1817. This State had not been admitted to the Union, and it was considered in the far West. The father located in Madison County, but after two years removed to Morgan County, in 1820. The land was not then surveyed, but he made a claim near where the city of JacksonviIle now stands, and when it came into market purchased it from the Government. He erected thereon a log cabin, 16x16 feet, and they lived inn true pioneer style. They had been in Morgan County for three months before Larkin Scott saw a white person save the members of his own family. The Kickapoo and Pottawatomie Indians still lived in the neighborhood, but they were usually peaceable, occasioning the settlers little trouble. Thus amid the wild scenes of the frontier, surrounded by few of the evidences of progress and civilization, our subject was reared to manhood.
Two and a-half miles from his home was the subscription school which Mr. Scott attended. His educational privileges, however, were meagre. He was only fourteen years of age when his father died, and much of the farm work devolved upon him. He continued to engage in the cultivation of the old homestead and remained with his mother until about twenty years of age, when he rented land in Morgan County and began farming for himself. There he continued until 1835, when he came to Hancock County, and purchased eighty acres of land on section 31, Harmony Township, paying the usual Government price of $1.25 per acre. He erected a log cabin, 16x18 feet, but the primitive home has long since been replaced by a commodiuus and substantial residence, and other good improvements have been made. The farm now comprises two hundred and eighty-five acres of valuable land and is one of the best in the neighborhood.
On the 4th of December, 1831, Mr. Scott was united in marriage with Miss Sarah Foreman, and to them have been born eleven children, namely: William W.; Samuel; Revecca, deceased; Louisa; Hettie; Mary, who died January 23, 1894; Larkin; John A.; Sarah, deceased; Joshua V., and Walter, also deceased. The family is one of prominence in the community, and its members have many warm friends. The parnet are both members ot the Second Adventist Church, and Mr. Scott served as a local preacher oft eh same for a quarter of a century. In politics, he has been a stanch Republican since the organization of the party. He has served as Overseer of the Poor and Highway Commissioner, discharging his duties with promtness and fidelity. He enlisted in the Black Hawk War in 1831, and did service as Corporal during that struggle. Mr. Scott is one of the oldest residents of Illinois, having since Territorial days been numbered among its citizens. He lived within its boders before many of the leading cities of the State had sprung into existence, when Chicago was known olny as Ft. Dearborn, and when the State was thought to be on the extreme western frontier. He has seen the advent of the railroad, the telegraph and telephone and has witnessed the onward march of progress which has brought with it an advancement and prosperity which make Illinois one of the leading States of the Union.
WILLIAM N. SPECK, Jr., has the honor of being a native of Henderson County. He was born on the old homestead September 11, 1850, and now resides on section 4, township 11 north, range 4 west. His father, William N. Speck, Sr., who is numbered among the honored pioneers of this locality, is a native of North Carolina, born August 10, 1823. Throughout his business career he followed farming, but in 1884 laid aside business cares and afterward lived a retired life. He was numbered among the self-made men of the county, for by his well-directed efforts, his enterprise and perseverance, he acquired the capital which later enabled him to spend his declining days free from toil and labor. He came to Henderson County in the spring of 1837, and was therefore one of its oldest settlers. Securing a tract of wild land, he transformed it into rich and fertile fields, and the once barren prairie was made to bloom and blossom as the rose. He also lived in Warren County, Ill., for four years, and on the discovery of gold in California, he crossed the plains to the Pacific Slope, where he remained for eighteen months engaged in mining. He then returned to Henderson County, in 1851, where he remained until his death, which occurred March 18, 1894.
The mother of our subject bore the maiden name of Sarah A. Rice. She married Mr. Speck, and they became the parents of five children but four of the number died in infancy. Mrs. Speck having died, the father was afterwards again married, his second unionn being with Miss Olive Sewel, by whom he had two children: Lura C., at home; and Carrie, now the wife of A. Marshall, of Hopper's Mills.
We now take up the personal history of Mr. Speck, who has spent the greater part of his life in Henderson County, and is widely and favorably known within its borders. His education was acquired in teh district schools of the neighborhood, which he attended through the winter season. He early began work upong the home farm and was thus employed until twenty-eight years of age. In 1881 he went to Georgia, spending four years in that State, bu since his return to Henderson County in 1885, he has made his home continuously in this neighborhood.
On the 24th of April, 1883, Mr. Speck was united in marriage with Miss Sarah Dearth, a daughter of Neal and Mima (Maples) Dearth. Their union has been blessed with two children, both sons: Robert W. and Walter C. Mr. Speck votes witht he Democratic party, but has never sought or desired political preferment. He holds membership with the Methodist Church, and is a man of sterling worth and strict integrity, whose upright life has won him the high regard of his many friends throughtout the county.
JOSEPH AVERY WHITE, JR., has during the past six years made his home in Warsaw, where he carries on business as a lumber merchant, enjoying a goad trade, which he has secured through well-directed efforts and straightforward, honorable dealing. The record of his life is as follows: a native of Massachusetts, he was born on the 3d of November, 1857, and is a son of J. A. and Jane Elizabeth (Fisher) White, who were also natives of the old Bay State. The White family is of English extraction, and the original American ancestors crossed the Atlantic from England to Boston in the year 1630, just one decade after the Pilgrims landed on Plymouth Rock. J. A. White, Sr., was an importer of West India goods, and followed that business in Boston for about thirty years. He was a well-known merchant of that city. His wife died March 25, 1868. In their family were four children: Henry F., who now resides in Cedar Rapids, Iowa; Edward Irving, who is located in Chicago; George Allen, who is living at the old home in Massachusetts; and J. A. of this sketch.
In taking up the personal history of Mr. White whose name heads this record we note that his boyhood days were spent midst play and work in his native State, and that his education was acquired in the city schools of Boston. After completing his literary course, he was graduated from the Comers Business College, of Boston, in 1876. He then went to Minnesota, where, in the employ of the Burlington, Cedar Rapids & Northern Railroad Company, he was engaged in surveying for a period of three years. Later, he removed to Knox County, Mo., where he was emploped in a lumber-yard at Knox City for two years. The succeeding two years were spent in La Belle, and subsequently he made his home for a short time in Alexandria, Mo. His next place of residence was in Kansas City, where he engaged in business as a dealer in feed, hay, grain, etc. The year 1888 witnessed his arrival in Warsaw. Here he opened a lumber-yard, and has since conducted the same with good success.
On the 15th of November, 1884, Mr.White was united in marriage with Miss Mary Kennedy. The lady is a daughter of John and Sarah (Mason) Kennedy. Her father was a native of Belfast, Ireland, and after emigrating to this country married Miss Mason, a native of Georgia. They resided for some time in Mobile, Ala., and thence removed to Kirksville, Mo. Mr. and Mrs. White are widely and favorably known in this community, where they have many warm friends. Mr. White exercises his right of franchise in support of the Republican party, but has never sought or desired the honors or emoluments of public office. He is a man of good business and executive ability, and is a loyal and public-spirited citizen who manifests a commendable interest in everything pertaining to the welfare of the community in which he makes his home.
WILLIAM WILSON, a farmer residing on section 9, Carthage Township, Hancock County, was born in Rock Castle County, Ky., near Mt. Vernon, November 22, 1835. The Wilson family is of Irish origin, and was founded in America during Colonial days. The father of our subject, james Wilson, was a native of Virginia. After arriving at years of maturity he was joined in wedlock with Miss Elizabeth Stewart, a native of Kentucky. By this union were born fifteen children, seven sons and eight daughters. Twelve of the number grew to mature years, and nine of the family are yet living. Sarah is now the widow of Stephen Thompson, who was a resident of Texas; Mary is the wife of Dr. Ralph Harris, a retired minister living in Macomb, Ill.; Delphia is the wife of Sidney Proctor, a farmer of South Mound, Kan.; James carries on agricultural pursuits in Missouri; Allen is a retired grocery merchant of Carthage; Annie L. is the wife of William Williams, a merchant of Colorado; William of this sketch is the next younger; Martha is the wife of Harry Taylor, a farmer residing in Ferris, Ill.; Joshua is an agriculturist of Webb City, Mo., and Samuel is a farmer living near Keokuk, Iowa.
In the usual manner of farmer lads William Wilson spent his boyhood days. He remained in his native State until fourteen years of age, and then accompanied his parents on their emigration to Illinois in 1849. The family located in Carthage Township, Hancock County, where the parents spent their remaining days, the death of the father occurring in 1852, while the mother passed away in 1862.
In this county our subject grew to manhood, and in the district schools of the community his education was acquired. He remained with his father until his death, after which he took charge of the home farm and cared for his mother until she too was called away, in 1862. He then embarked in the livery business in Carthage, where he remained until 1869, when he purchased the farm on which he now resides. He first bought one hundred an forty-five acres on section 9, Carthage Township, and to this he has since added, until now two hundred acres of rich land yield to him a good income. He carries on general farming and stock-raising, and his well-directed efforts are crowned with success. The many improvements upon his place, and the valuable land under a high state of cultivation, make this one of the best farms in the neighborhood.
On the 12th of May, 1864, Mr. Wilson was united in marriage with Miss Lydia Deuel, and to them were born eight children, namely: Ida, wife of Frederick Soules, who is living in Keokuk, Iowa; George C., Ellen, Eva, William, May and Lulu, all of whom are still with their parents; and Alice, who died on the 21st of July, 1881. She was the youngest of the family. The mother passed away on the 19th of July of the same year, and was laid to rest in Moss Ridge Cemetery in Carthage. She was a member of the Methodist Church, and a most estimable woman, whose loss was deeply mourned throughout the community.
We find in Mr. Wilson a public-spirited and progressive citizen, Who, through the long years of his residence in Hancock County has been always interested in the development of the community and the promotion of those Enterprises which are calculated to prove of public benefit. In politics, he supports the Republican party and its principles, but has never been an office-seeker.