DAVID A. BEATY, who owns and operates one hundred and thirty -five acres of good land on section 9, Rozetta Township, is one of the early settlers of Henderson County, and since 1851 has resided upon his present farm. His time and attention are given to the cultivation of his land and to stock-raising, and by his well directed efforts he has become one of the well-to-do citizens of the community.
Mr. Beaty is a native of Champaign County, Ohio, born October 4, 1818, The family is of Irish lineage. His father, William Beaty, was a native of Berkeley County, Va. The mother bore the maiden name of Mary Pence. They had three children: David: Rachel, who is living in Oquawka; and Israel, who died in 1870. The mother of this family having passed away, Mr. Beaty was again married, and by his second union had seven children: George, who died in Illinois; Ira; Sarah, now deceased; and four who died in early childhood. The family came to the West about 1830, making the journey by team, and William Beaty entered one hundred and sixty acres of land from the Government in Henderson County, paying the usual price of $1.25 per acre. He then built a log cabin, and in true pioneer style those early days were passed. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church, and in early life was a Democrat, but after the organization of the Republican party he joined its ranks. He served in the War of 1812, and was always a valued citizen. He served as one of the first Supervisors of his township, helped to lay out the roads, and aided in the organization of the school district. On the farm which he had developed his death occurred May 18, 1869.
David Beaty whose name heads this record grew to manhood in the township which is now his home, and attended its subscription schools, which were held in a log schoolhouse. Although his advantages in this direction were quite limited, his training at farm labor was not meagre, for at an early age he began to follow the plow, and soon became familiar with farm work in all its departments. He continued under the parental roof until twenty-two years of age, when he began to earn his own livelihood by chopping wood and making rails. The following year he rented land, and then purchased eighty acres of land, a part of the farm on which he now resides, the purchase price being $200. There were no improvements upon the place, but he at once began its development and continued its cultivation until 1850, when he went to California, making the overland journey with ox-teams. There were seven teams in the party and twenty-eight men. They crossed the river at the site of the present city of Omaha, and after five months of travel reached Hangtown .
Mr. Beaty then engaged in prospecting and mining, and remained on the Pacific Slope for about a year. He then started on the return trip, traveling by steamer to Mexico. He made the journey on foot from the City of Mexico to Vera Cruz, where he again boarded a vessel. On once more reaching Henderson County, he resumed farming, and has since made it his exclusice occupation.
On the 20th Of December, 1842, Mr. Beaty was united in marriage with Miss Abigail Roberts, and to them were born eight children, but onlythree are now living: Adolphus, a blacksmith residing in Rozetta; Florence, wife of Harry Patterson, editor of the Democrat, of Oquawka; and Phoebe, wife of Jacob Kirkhart, of Warren County, Iowa.
Mr. Beaty cast his first Presidential vote for William Henry Harrison, and since the organization of the Republican party has been one of its stanch advocates. He has traveled over much of this country, and his life has been an eventful one, filled with many interesting experiences. His career, too, has always been upright and honorable, and in this community he has many warm friends.
IRA W. BEATY was born on the farm where he is now living, on section 17, Rozetta Township, Henderson County, on the 7th of October, 1834, and is justly numbered among the honored pioneers of the community. Few men have longer resided in this locality. He has witnessed almost its entire growth and development, has seen its wild lands transformed into beautiful homes and farms, and watched with interest the advance of progress and civilization, which has placed the county among the foremost in this great commonwealth. The father of our subject, William Beaty, was an native of Virginia. When a young man he left that State, removing to Ohio, and some years later he became a resident of Indiana, where he remained until the spring of 1830, when he came to Henderson County, locating at the fort about two miles from his present farm. In the same spring he made a claim, becoming owner of one hundred and sixty acres of land on section 17, Rozetta Township, where our subject now resides. He paid the usual Government price, $1.25 per acre, and at once began clearing it of the timber with which it was largely covered. He erected a log cabin, 18x22 feet, and this primitive home is still standing, one of the few landmarks of pioneer days that yet remain.
At that time the Indians still lived in the neighborhood, and frequently occasioned considerable trouble with the settlers. Mr. Beaty served in the Black Hawk War, which resulted in driving the red men from this locality. He made a trip with ox-teams to St. Louis for provisions, and experienced many of the other difficulties of frontier life. In an early day he was interested in the organization of the township, aided in laying out the roads, and in organizing the first school of the neighborhood. He held the office of School Treasurer and School Director, supported the Republican party, and was a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
Mr. Beaty was twice married. He first wedded Mary Pence, and to them were born three children: David, Rachel, and Ezra, who is now deceased. After the death of his first wife, he married Jane T. Russell, and they had six children: Ira W.; Eli., of Mediapolis, Iowa; John and George, both deceased; Sarah, who died in 1872; and Mary, who died in infancy. The father of this family passed away May 18, 1868, and his remains were interred in the Baptist Cemetery of Rozetta Township. His wife is still living, in her eighty- eighth year.
Within the boundaries of the home farm Ira W. Beaty passed his boyhood days midst play and work. His education was acquired in the subscription schools, which he attended until nineteen years of age, when he and his brothers took charge of the old homestead. In connection with his brother George, he owns the original tract of one hundred and sixty acres, and has an addition to this land to the amount of one hundred and fifty-three acres. The entire farm is under the personal supervision of our subject. The land is a valuable tract, under a high state of cultivation, and is improved with all the accessories and conveniences of a model farm. In connection with general farming he also carries on stock-raising.
During the late war, Ira Beaty manifested his loyalty to the Government by enlisting in the Union service, on the 8th of August, I862, as a private of Company K, Eighty-fourth Illinois Infantry. He was mustered in at Biggsville, and going to the front took part in the battles of PerryvilIe, Stone River, Woodbury, Chickamauga, Lookout Mountain, Missionary Ridge, Ringgold, Dalton, Buzzard's Roost, Resaca, Burnt Hickory, Kennesaw Mountain, Smyrna, Atlanta, Jonesboro, Lovejoy, Franklin and Nashville, and many others of lesser importance. When the war was over he was honorably discharged from the service in Springfield, Ill.,June 8, 1865. His brother George, who was six years his junior, was always his companion through life. They attended school together, enlisted the same time, in the same company, and were in all the battles together. When the war was over they returned home and then engaged in business together. George was married February 29, 1872, to Miss Susan Helton, and they all lived upon the same farm, the brothers continuing their business partnership until the death of George Beaty, March 28, I892. He was laid to rest beside his parents, and many warm friends mourned his loss, for he lived an honorable, upright life, and all who knew him respected him. His widow is still living on the old homestead.
Ira W. Beaty holds membership with the Grand Army of the Republic, and the Masonic fraternity. In politics, he has been a Republican since the organization of the party. He possessess good business and executive ability, and in his career he has met with prosperity, becoming one of the substantial citizens of the community. He also manifests all interest in everything pertaining to the welfare of the locality, for the advancement and the progress of his native county are dear to him. George was also a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, in good standing.
OLIVER CRAIG, of Hamilton, is a native of Ohio, his birth having occurred in Champaign County, August 5, 1844. The Craig family is of Scotch-Irish lineage. The father, Vincent Craig, was a native of Virginia, and a farmer by occupation. In an early day he emigrated westward and purchased land near Urbana, Champaign County, Ohio. In the Buckeye State he was united in marriage with Miss Ann Simms, a native of Virginia, and by their union were born fourteen children, seven sons and seven daughters. who in order of birth are as follows: Mary, wife of Jonas Fay, a trader of Texas, Champaign County, Ohio: William, who is living in the same county, and who was a soldier of the late war; Oliver, of this sketch: Andrew, who also, wore the blue in defense of his country, and now carries on Agricultural pursuits in Champaign County; John, whose history is similar to that of his brother Andrew: Alfred, deceased; Eliza, deceased, wife of Benjamin Cage, of Champaign County: Nancy, who has also passed away; Lucy, wife of John Rock, the well-known Treasurer of Champaign County; Henry, deceased: Martha, wife of Lemuel Bayless, an agriculturist residing in Cherokee, Logan County, Ohio; Susan, wife of Oliver Chatman, a farmer of Champaign County; George, a painter of the same county; and La Fayette, a trader of that county,
Oliver Craig was reared on his father's farm in the county of his nativity, and acquired his education in the district schools of the neighborhood, but his privileges in that direction were meagre, for his services were required in the fieids during the summer months, and during much of the wintcr in clearing timber-land. At length he left home and began working as a farm hand by the month in the neighborhood, being thus employed until after the breaking out of the Civil War.
The Craig family furnished a number of representatives to the Union Army, and among the number was our subject, who on the 5th of October, 1861, offered his services to the Government and enrolled his name among the boys in blue of Company I, Sixty-sixth Ohio Infantry. At Port Republic, W. Va., he was wounded, on the 9th of June, 1862 being hit just below the shoulder blade by a minie-ball, which came out on the right side of the breast. His wound unfitted him for further duty, and he was discharged at Columbus, but after several months spent in rest and recuperation he re-enlisted in January, 1863 becoming a member of Company K, One Hundred and Thirteenth Ohio Infantry. He then reained in the service until after the close of the war, when he was mustered out, July 8, 1865, at Louisville, Ky. During the same month he received his discharge at Columbus. As his wound unfitted him for field service, he did special duty at brigade headquarters. His loyalty, however, was manifest the faithfulness with which he discharged every task allotted to him.
After his return home, Mr. Craig was employed as a farm hand by the month until 1868, when he went to Macon County, Mo., where he spent five years. He purchased a farm of eighty acres, and in connection with agricultural pursuits he bought and sold stock. In 1873, he came to Hamilton and purchased a farm in Hancock County, on which he made his home until 1877. He then leased a farm, and on this tract of land lived for four years, then leased another farm, remaining on it for six years. In 1887, he bought a farm of eighty acres in Montebello Township, and continued its cultivation and improvement for over two years, but in I892 he sold out and purchased property in Hamilton, removing to this city. In September, 1893, he embarked in the grocery business, but soldout in January, 1894, and is now living retired.
The lady who bears the name of Mrs. Craig was formerly Mrs. Eliza Millage, widow of George Millage. Their wedding was celebrated June 15, 1867, and to them have been born three children: Myrta, wife of William Scannell, a farmer and stock-raiser of Hamilton; and Frank and Fred, who are still with their parents.
Since casting his first Presidential vote for Abraham Lincoln, in 1864, Mr. Craig has been a stanch supporter of the Republican party and warmly advocates its principles. He has also been honored with several local offices, the duties of which he has discharged with promptness and fidelity. He served as Constable of Montebello Township for eight years, has been Deputy Sheriff for the same length of time, and is now filling that office. He has also served as School Director. Socially, he is a member of Black Hawk Lodge No. 228, A. F. & A. M.; Russell Post No. 86, G. A. R.; and belongs to the Christian Church of Hamilton.
COLEMAN J. EADS, M. D., is one of the younger members of the medical profession of Oquawka, but during the three years of his residence here his skill and ability have won recognition by a liberal and lucrative practice, which is well deserved. The Doctor was born in Wayne County, Ky., on the 19th of April, 1866, and is a son of Jacob H, and Nancy (Tuttle) Eads. His mother is now deceased. His father, who was born in Wayne County, Ky, October 9, 1829, has carried on agricultural pursuits throughout his entire life. In the family were eleven children, eight sons and three daughters, as follows: Martha J., wife of S. D. Foster, a planter of Wayne County, Ky.; William 0. and Charles M., who are also planters of that county; Henderson M., who is proprietor of a grocery and market in Chicago; Joseph, who died in infancy Amanda F., wife of O. T. Stringer, a miner of Ardmore, Mo.; Coleman, of this sketch; John P., a planter of Wayne County, James M. and Leslie J., who are living at home; and Nannie E., wife of John Bond, a farmer of Wayne County. Ky.
The Doctor spent the days of his boyhood and youth on the old plantation in the couty of his nativity, and until seventeen years of age he attended the common schools. He then entered the Southern Normal College of Bowling Green, Ky., where he pursued a literary course, there remaining for a year and a half. On leaving school in 1887, he began teaching, which profession he followed for two years, when, in 1889, he entered the medical department of the University of Kentucky at Louisville. For two years previous he had studied medicine during his leisure hours. and in 1890 was graduated from that institution with the degree of M. D. Immediately after he opened an office and began practice in Parnell, Wayne County, Ky., where he remained for a year and a half.
It was in 1891 that Doctor Eads came to Oquawka, Ill., where he has since been engaged in the prosecution of his profession. He is one of the busiest men of Henderson County to-day, and has succeeded in building up a very extensive practice. He cast his first presidential vote for Grover Cleveland, and is a supporter of Democracy, but has never aspired to public office. In religious belief, he is a Baptist. Socially, he is connected with Tranquil Lodge No. 193, I. O. O. F., of which he is now serving as Noble Grand, and also belongs to Oquawka Camp No. 1037, M. W. A. He came here a young man, possessed of an excellent knowledge of the science of medicine, but with little practical experience, yet his aptitude for his chosen profession was soon made manifest, and as the result of the success which he has secured he will probably make Oquawka his permanent home.
CORNELIUS MATTHEW ERWIN, one of the leading merchants of Bowen, who is now dealing in lumber and agricultural implements, has the honor of being a native of Illinois, for he was born in Littleton, on the 24th of May, 1860. .He was the third in order of birth in a family of eight children, whose parents were George W. and Agnes (Corey) Erwin. The family dates its ancestry back to the time when the Pilgrim Fathers landed in America.
George W. Erwin was a native of the Empire State, and was reared on a farm, there remaining until eighteen years of age, when he decided to seek a home in the West, believing that he might thereby better his financial condition. He made his way to Schuyler County, where he lived for half a century upon a farm, where his death occurred January 24, 1894, he having attained the age of seventy-four years. He served as a soldier in the Mexican War, and was ever a loyal and faithful citizen His wife was born in Schuyler County, and there died at the age of forty-eight years. Her father was a native of Scotland, but when a youth of fourteen left that land and in company with a cousin crossed the briny deep to the New World. In the early days of its history, he located in Schuyler County, and for a number of years was a prominent and leading merchant of Rushville. He then purchased a farm near that city, upon which he spent his remaining days, his death occurring on the old homestead at the advanced age of ninety-two. He was one of the honored pioneers of the county, and was highly respected by all who knew him.
C. M. Erwin whose name heads this notice supplemented his early education, which was acquired in the common schools, by a course in the High School of Rushville. He remained under the parental roof until he had attained his majority and then started out in life for himself. His first business venture was in miIling. He also established and carried on a tile factory, successfully operating the same until 1884, when he removed to Bowen and established a lumber-yard and agricultural-implement store. He carries a good stock of everything found in his line, and by straightforward and honorable dealing has gained the confidence and trust of the community.
On the 26th Of October, 1882, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Erwin and Belle Taylor, of Adams County. Five children have been born unto them, Alma, Charles N., Ray, Forrest C. and Clinton, and the family circle yet remains unbroken, the children being still under the parental roof.
Mr. Erwin takes an active interest in political affairs, and is a stalwart advocate of the Democracy. He was twice nominated for Supervisor of his township, but as the township is strongly Republican, he was defeated. He keeps himself well informed on the issues of the day, and is also conversant with other topics of general interest. Socially, he is a Knight Templar Mason, and his wife is a member of the Methodist Church, to the support of which he contributes liberally. He is recognized as one of the leading business men of Bowen, is enterprising and progressive, and as one of the representative citizens well deserves mention in the history of his adopted county.
ANDREW JACKSON FISH owns and operates eighty acres of good land on section I, Sonora Township, Hancock County, and in connection with general farming carries on stockraising. His close attention to business, and his industry and perseverance, have made him one of the substantial citizens of the community. He was born in Lawrence County, Ind., on the 8th of May, 1824, and is one of a family of ten children, six sons and four daughters, whose parents were William and Sarah (Caile) Fish. In the usual manner of farmer lads our subject spent the days of his boyhood and youth. He acquired his education in a log schoolhnuse, where school was conducted on the subscription plan. He often had to walk a distance of two miles to and from the place of learning. His physical development was not neglected, for he had plenty of exercise in the shape of farm work, his labors in the fields beginning as soon as he was old enough to handle the plow. Under the parental roof he remained, and to his father gave the benefit of his services, until he had attained his majority, when he started out in life for him self. During the first year he worked as a farm hand for $8 per month. At the end of two years he rented land and began farming in his own interest. A year later, with the money which he had thereby acquired, he purchased a tract of eighty acres in Jackson County Ind., and was engaged in its cultivation for two years, when he returned to his native county. There he again rented land until 1853, which year witnessed a change in his place of residence.
Mr. Fish then came to Hancock County, and after spending one year in Fountain Green Township, and another in Sonora Township, he purchased forty acres of land in Rock Creek Township, where he made his home for two years. He then bought a farm in Sonora Township, the same on which he now resides, and has since devoted his time and attention to its further cultivation.
In 1846, Mr. Fish was united in marriage with Miss Victoria A., daughter of Jonas and Mary (Cupps) Ikerd. Ten children have been born to this union, as follows: Almeda C.; Erasmus D.; Mary, M., now deceased; Logan J.; Clara I.; Thaddeus E.; Sarah M.; Elvira J., who is also deceased; Araminta V., and Myrtle M., who has passed away.
In 1865, Mr. Fish left his family and farm to enter the service of his country. On the 29th of February, he enlisted as a private of Company B, One Hundred and Eighteenth Illinois Infantry, and was mustered in at Springfield. He served until the close of the war, and was then honorably discharged, in October, 1865, after which he returned to his home and again took up farming. His life has been a busy and useful one, and is worthy the high regard in which he is held. In politics, he is a supporter of the People's party, and he and his wife are members of the Methodist EpiscopaI Church.
JAMES H. GRIGSBY, is a prominent representative of the business interests of Blandinsville, where he is now engaged in banking. He embarked in this enterprise in 1882, and has since continued it as a member of the ifrm of Grigsby Brothers & Co. Theirs is one of the solid financial institutions of the county, and the safe and conservative policy of the bank has won the confidence of the people throughout the community.
The gentleman whose name heads this record is a native of Blandinsville, his birth having here occurred on the 5th of January, 1851, and he is a representative of one of the honored pioneer families of the county. His parents, William H. and Elizabeth (Seybold) Grigsby, were both natives of Kentucky, and on leaving that State in 1830 they emigrated northward to Illinois, and cast in their lot with the early settlers of McDonough County. This locality then was an almost unbroken wilderness, the county seat contained but few inhabitants, and many of the now thriving towns and villages had not then sprung into existence. The Grigsby family numbered six children, of whom four are yet living, namely: Nancy J., wife of Newton Gordon, a resident of Blandinsville; John E., who also makes his home in this place; James H., of this sketch; and Mary L., wife of Dr. W.E. Grigsby. Those deceased are Charles and Alice.
Our subject was reared in his native town, and acquired his early education in the public schools, but he afterward continued his studies for five years under the instruction of a private tutor, William Forest. He remained under the parental roof until twenty-five years of age, and for fourteen years he was employed to a greater or less extent in his father's mill, becoming familiar with all the details of the business. In 1882, he embarked in the banking business, as before stated, and has since devoted his time and attention to the same.
On the 2d of October, 1875, Mr. Grigsby led to the marriage altar Miss Lillian C. Mason, daughter of Horatio N. and Louisa (Gruber) Mason. Three children have been born of their union: William Ehrman, Harry M. and roy, all of whom are still under the parental roof. The parents and the eldest son hold membership with the Baptist Church of Blandinsville.
Mr. Grigsby takes an active interest in civic societies and is an honored member of various organizations. He belongs to Blandinsville Lodge No. 233, A.F. & A.M.; Blandinsville Chapter No. 108, O.E.S.; New Hope Lodge No. 263, I.O.O.F.; Hardin Lodge No. 25, A.O.U.W.; and the Modern Woodmen of America. He cast his first Presidential vote for Horace Greeley, and since that time has been a supporter of the Democratic party. He has been elected to a number of local offices, including that of Alderman, Township Treasurer and Village Treasurer. He discharges his public duties with a promptness and fidelity that have won him the commendation of all concerned. He is true to every public and private trust, and is a man of sterling worth and strict integrity, who is held in high regard by all who know him.
WILLIAM E. GRIGSBY, M.D., one of the enterprising young physicians of McDonough County, who is now successfully engaged in the practice of medicine in Blandinsville, is a native of Kentucky, his birth having occurred on the 16th of February, 1862, in Washington County, where his father, Redman Grigsby, was also born. The paternal grandfather, William Grigsby, was a native of Virginia, and came of an old family of that State. The Doctor's father was a farmer by occupation, and carried on agricultural pursuits throughout the greater part of his life. On the 27th of September, 1860, he was united in marriage with Miss Susan M, daughter of William A. Seay, a native Of Virginia. To Mr. and Mrs. Grigsby were born six children, three sons and three daughters, namely: William E. of this sketch; Francis M,, a physician and surgeon of Maud, Ky.; Annie R., who died on the old homestead in Kentucky, Walter C., a jeweler and watchmaker of Stronghurst, Ill., Lena E who died in infancy; and Martha Z., wife of William Moore, a planter of Washington County, Ky. Dr Grigsby was reared as a farmer's lad, and his early educational advantages were those afforded by the district schools of the neighborhood, which he attended through the winter season until nineteen years of age. He then entered Pleasant Grove Academy, where he pursued his studies for a year, after which he engaged in teaching for a year in his native county. In 1884 he changed his work, securing a position as salesman with the firm of A. H, McCord & Co., of Springfield, Ky,, continuing clerking for a year. On the expiration of that period, Dr, Grigsby came to McDonough County, Ill., and in 1885 began farming, which pursuit he followed during the succceding five years. He then took up the study of medicine, in 1890, under Dr, T, J, Crum, of Blandinsville, under whose direction he continued his reading for six months. During the winter of 1890-91 he was a student in the Keokuk Medical College, of Iowa, and in the winter of 1891-92 he attended the Louisville Medical College, of Louisville, Ky., from which institution he was graduated in the following spring. 1892-93 he again attended the Keokuk Medical College, and was graduated from that school in the latter year. Immediately afterward he opened an office in Blandinsville, where he has since successfully engaged in practice.
On the 2d of July, 1887, Dr. Grigsby was united in marriage with Mrs. Mary L. Bushnell, a daughter of William H. and Elizabeth (Seybold) Grigsby. They have a pleasant home in this place, and are highly esteemed people of the community. Both the Doctor and his wife hold membership with the Baptist Church, and he is a member of Blandinsville Lodge No. 233, A.F. & A.M.; Chapter No. 208, R. A. M.; Blandinsville Chapter No. 108, O.E.S.; and Hardin Lodge No. 25, A.O.U.W. In politics. he is a supporter of the Democracy. A close student of his profession, he has already secured a good practice, and will undoubtedly win success in his chosen vocation.
RUFUS LEACH, who is now occupying the responsible position of Postmaster of Macomb, was born six miles north of this city, on the 6th of September, 1851, and is a representative of one of the pioneer families of the county. His father, Rufus Leach, Sr., was born in New Jersey, but in early childhood, with the family of his father, John H. Leach, born July 18. 1786, and Sally (Parkist) Leach, born November 12, 1786, and the families of two uncles, emigrated to Trumbull County, Ohio, where he grew to manhood. In 1838, he came to McDonough County, Ill., and engaged in farming, locating on fine prairie land about six miles north of Macomb. April 9, 1840, he was united in marriage with Lois Sarles, and to them were born four children, namely: Harriet, widow of W. M. Lipe; John H., Albert J. and Rufus. The father died Angust 14, 1851, about one month before the subject of this sketch was born. The mother still survives. She was the second time married, March 15, 1853, this time to William McDaniel, and to them three children were born: Mary A., James H, and William C. The daughter died in 1858. Lois (McDaniel) Leach has been for many years a member of the Christian Church, and is widely known, loved and respected in the community in which she has so long made her home. She came to Illinois when a little girl from New Albany, Ind. At the date given above, she was married at the home of her sister, Mrs. Lewis Spangler, in Fulton County, Ill., the Rev. W. K. Stewart, of the Presbyterian Church of this city, performing the ceremony, and Mr. and Mrs. Lewis Spangler and George Boughman signing the marriage certificate as witnesses.
Abner Leach, the father of John H. Leach, was a native of Sussex County, N. J., and was a soldier in the Revolutionary War, up to the time of his death being on the pension roll of the Government, in recognition of valiant services rendered in those trying times. James H. Sarles, maternal grandfather of Rufus Leach, Jr., was also in the service of his country, in the War of 1812. Mr. Sarles was a shingle-maker by trade, and in the early days of McDonough County shaved many thousand shingles for the pioneers who came to this spot to build new homes for themselves and their children. Mr. SarIes died about 1861, and his remains were interred in the Stickle Gravevard. The remains of Rufus Leach, Sr., rest in the same cemetery. The family of Rufus Leach, Sr., was a large one, consisting of father, mother and eleven children, as follows: John H. Leach, Sally (Parkist) Leach, Charles, Abraham, Rufus, Nancy, David, Mary Ann, Hiram, Celia, Caroline, Betsey and Margaret. Lois Sarles was one of a family consisting of father and mother, James Harvey and Ruth (Parsels) Sarles, and the follwing children: Abelard, Harriet, Sarah Ann, Mary, Lois, James Harvey and Nancy Jane.
From the time he Was eight years of age, Rufus Leach has resided in Macomb. He began earning his own livelihood when fourteen years old, and has since been dependent on his own efforts. It was in October, 1865, that he entered the office of the Macomb Eagle, to learn the printer's trade, which he has followed more or less continuously since. He afterward worked in the office of the Western Light for about two years, and was engaged in Monmouth and Galesburg for two years more, when he entered the office of the Macomb Journal, with which he was connected seventeen years. His faithfulness to his employers' interests was manifested by his lone-continued service.
In December, 1890, with Thomas J. Dudman, he purchased the Macomb Eagle establishment, and continued in partnership one year, at the end of which period he retired from the business, but remained with the Eagle in the capacity of foreman until his appointment as Postmaster. He took charge of the postoffice February 20, 1894.
On the 8th of January, 1879, Mr. Leach was united in marriage with Mrs. Hannah J. Inman, widow of Randolph Inman, and a daughter of Felix and Abigail Navert. By their union have been born four children, two sons and two daughters: Arthur S., Ernest R., Lois A. and Lena B. The parents are both members of the Christian Church, and Mr. Leach is now serving as Church Clerk. They have a pleasant home in Macomb, and have many friends in the community.
In his political affiliations, Mr. Leach is a Democrat, and by president Cleveland was appointed Postmaster. He has but recently entered upon the duties of the office, yet his course thus far gives evidence that his administration will be satisfactory to the public. He also served as President of the School Board for one year, to which position he was appointed by C. I. Imes, Mayor of the city, and it was during his incumbency of this position that the First Ward school building was erected. He is an honored and active member of the Knights of Pythias, having served three terms as Chancellor Commander, and twice as delegate to the Grand Lodge; and of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, in which he has passed all the Chairs, and is a popular citizen of Macomb, where the greater part of his life has been passed.
EPHRAIM H. PORTER, the well-known editor of the Hancock County Pilot, which is published in Warsaw, claims Alabama as the State of his nativity, his birth having occurred in Gadsden, November 24, 1858. His parents were Ephraim and Sarah A. Porter, the former a native of Connecticut, and the latter of North Carolina. During his life the father engaged in various pursuits, having been a school teacher, merhcant, farmer and saddler. He spent about a quarter of a century in the sunny South, but in 1865 removed from Georgia to the North, taking up his residence in Danville, Iowa, where his last days were passed. His death occurred on the 8th of August, 1890, at the age of seventy-four years. Mrs. Porter still survives her husband and is now living with her son in Warsaw. The family numbered eleven children, six of whom are yet living. They are all married, but are widely scattered. One resides in Gadsden, Ala.; the second in Chicago; another in Triplett, Mo.; the fourth in Alliance, Neb.; and another in Marble Mount, Wash.
Mr. Porter of this sketch was only seven years of age at the time of his parents' removal to Iowa. His education was completed in the High School of Danville, that State. He was reared on a farm, and with hsi father learned the saddlers trade, which he follwed for a time, but, wishing to devote his time and attention to other pursuits, he decided to enter the newspaper field, and at the age of eighteen years began learning the printer's trade in an office in Danville. He was afterward associated with his father in the publication of the Danville News. He embarked in this enterprise in 1881 and continued it until 1883, when he sold out and removed to Marinsville, Clark County, Ill., where he formed a partnership with John Shepherd, and old schoolmate, and established the Martinsville Planet. This conneciton continued for a year, when Mr. Porter bought out his partner's interest and continued the publication of his paper alone during the four succeeding years. Then, selling out, in 1889, and coming to Warsaw, he established the Hancock County Pilot, a paper published in the interest of the Democratic party. He has been quite successful int his undertaking, and it has now gained quite and extensive circulation. The paper is a bright, newsy sheet, well edited, and is deserving of a liberal patronage.
On the 9th day of May, 1882, Mr. Porter was united in marriage with Miss Mary Elizabeth Petzinger, and to them has been born an interesting family of six children. In his social relations, Mr. Porter is an Odd Fellow, belonging to Hancock Lodge No. 71, I.O.O.F. In his political views, he is a stalwart Democrat. Public-spirited and progressive, he is ever alive to the best interests of the community in which he lives, and does all in his power to aid in its advancement.
FRANK FORESTER WORTHEN, D. M. D., of Warsaw, was born in this city on the 10th of March, 1874, and is the only son and the eldest child in a family of four children born unto Charles K. and Clara (Waugh) Worthen. A sketch of his honored grandfather, Amos Henry Worthen, is given elsewhere in this work. After acquiring a liberal education in the public schools of his native city, our subject attended Washington University of St. Louis, and was graduated from that institution in 1892, receiving the degree of D. M. D. on the anniversary of his birthday. On leaving college, he accepted a position in the office of Dr. Gramm, of Keokuk, Iowa, where he remained for three months. He then opened an office in Warsaw, where he has since successfully engaged in the practice of his profession. The Doctor is a young man of good habits and pleasing presence, is thoroughly conversant with every branch of his profession, and deserves and receives a liberal patronage from the citizens of Warsaw and the surrounding country.