NEGenWeb Project - Cass County
Who's Who in Nebraska, 1940
G. H. Gilmore
CASS county, one of the eight original counties in the Territory of Nebraska, was one of the first Nebraska sections to achieve a permanent organization and a fixed population. Bordered on two sides by the Platte and the Missouri rivers, Cass early became the path of trappers and traders and was later crossed by the famous Forty-niners. Some of these transients were attracted by the region and decided to make it their home.
In 1854 when the Territory of Nebraska was created out of the Louisiana purchase, Cass, Burt, Dodge, Douglas, Forney (Nemaha), Pierce (Otoe), Richardson and Washington were named counties and divided into voting precincts.
A proclamation of President Pierce on June 24, 1854, opened Nebraska for settlement and many homesteaders who were camped on the Eastern side of the Missouri crossed the stream on makeshift rafts to stake out claims along the Weeping Water river, Rock creek and other streams where wood and water were handy. The county bears the name of General Lewis Cass, a New Hampshire native who became a Michigan senator and fought for passage of the Kansas-Nebraska bill.
As early as 1848 Libeas T. Coon operated a hand-propelled ferry over the Missouri two miles south of the Platte. He carried many Mormons across the river, as he did the gold seekers in 1849. Both their trails followed the south bank of the Platte. Five years later Samuel Martin transported logs and equipment over the frozen Missouri to establish a trading post. The next year James O'Neil, Samuel Martin, Lafayette Nuckolls, C. Nuckolls, J. L. Sharp and Manley Green organized the Plattsmouth Town Company here. This post later became the county seat.
Governor Cuming's proclamation in 1854, soon after creation of the Territory, named two voting places in Cass County, "one at the house of Col. Thompson in Kenosha precinct and one at Samuel Martin's in Martin precinct." Three election judges and a clerk were appointed for each district. But the governmental organization of 1854-55 was too inefficient to protect the settlers' claims and obscure claim lines often led to altercations between neighbors. They formed protective societies called Claim Clubs, which assumed police powers. At Lewiston, in the southeastern part of the county, 28 men formed the Rock Creek Claim Association. The group approved and signed resolutions which defined claims, stated who might take out claims, provided for surveying disputed possessions, set up a five man committee to settle differences among members, and set bounds within which the organization was to govern. A. C. Towner and William Ellington, the county's first two sheriffs, were members of this organization.
This association was composed of stern frontiersmen, who served the county without any serious disagreements. Unlike many similar clubs of that day, it carried out no lynchings. Thomas Ashley, a brawny blacksmith, was the association's first president, and was also elected first justice of the peace in Kenosha precinct.
The county was not surveyed by the government until 1856, the year in which Augustus Spires, the first settler on Rock Creek, organized the town of Granada, a suburb of Rock Bluff. William H. Davis, first recorder of deeds, kept the records in his log cabin home.
The first claims were filed in the valleys the Missouri and its tributaries, and along the streams flowing into the Platte. Here the settlers found not only fertile soil, but an abundance of timber and limestone.
First arrivals in Cass County were greeted by small bands of friendly Otoe Indians, who were always "heap hungry" when calling at the pioneers' cabin. Many a housewife was terrified to see a "ferocious looking savage," his nose flattened against a window glass, closely observing the details of housework. Beyond their begging, however, the Indians caused no real trouble.
But a real scare developed from the visit of a lone Indian to the Whitmore residence in Lancaster County. Mrs. Whitmore, at home alone, became terrified. She fled to the neighbors with a tale of "Indians!" Rumor developed this single warrior into a marauding band of thousands. Companies were formed at Plattsmouth, Rock Bluff1 and Kenosha, and were rushed to Salt Creek to defend our western border. Then reconnoitering scouts found the Whitmore home deserted and none of the household goods disturbed.
Shortly after the Whitmore affair, a small company of settlers, still jittery, attacked a group of Indians between Mount Pleasant and Eight Mile Grove. A rifle bullet fractured one Indian's arm,
1 According to the A. T. Andreas history of Nebraska, this village was organized in 1856 as Rock Bluff. In 1857 North Rock Bluff was organized and the two consolidated as Rock Bluff City in 1858. The town appears on maps today as Rock Bluffs.124
Cass Who's Who
and three prisoners and fifteen ponies were taken to Plattsmouth. Two days later one hundred Indians and three chiefs arrived from the west. They demanded release of the prisoners and return of the ponies. The prisoners were released promptly, but the Indians camped above Rock Bluff for two weeks until their ponies had been recovered. The unjustified attack on these Indians was severely criticized.
In December, 1854, Acting Governor Thomas B. Cuming called for the organization of volunteer regiments to cope with Indian hostilities. One force was drawn from north of the Platte river, two infantry and two cavalry companies were organized in Cass county.
The 1855 Territorial Legislature considered minor changes in Cass County's boundary, and in 1856 a strip of land including the city of Ashland was "detached from Cass County and attached to Saunders County." After dividing the county into the Plattsmouth, Kenosha and Cassville precincts in 1856, Jacob Vallery, jr., R. J. Palmer and W. D. Gage were elected commissioners. Gage had established the town of Cassville one year before. It was three miles north of Weeping Water on one of the highest points of land in the county. He established a store there in 1856, and advertised it as selling general goods "cheap for cash." That same year he and others incorporated Western University, which was to be located "near or in Cassville."
Steamboat traffic on the Missouri led to the establishment of several Cass County towns at good landing places. These "steamboat" communities were important centers of trade to the western towns, and most of the settlers' provisions arrived by this route in the spring. But what was of greater personal importance, the boats brought mail from friends and relatives in the east.
Oreopolis had the most auspicious beginning of any of these six communities. The town site covered 1,200 acres, and it was founded in 1857 by Dr. John Evans of Chicago. Shortly afterward, the Nebraska school report stated: "They will be able to have a building completed and in operation by the first day of September, 1861, the only first class high school in Nebraska." Many substantial homes were built. Then the town ceased to exist and the dwellings were razed. The material was used in constructing farm homes.
Richest in pioneer history of these ghost towns is Rock Bluff. A postoffice was opened there March 12, 1857, and William Gilmour became mayor. Forty-five years later, in 1902, the postofice (sic) was discontinued. In the late sixties Prof. Joseph Patterson established the Naomi Institute in Rock Bluff, and it soon earned a reputation for its high standards. This town was the site of the county fair; Masonic and Odd Fellows met in a common lodge hall. The business section included three stores, two blacksmith shops, two saloons and a billiard hall. A race track was located below the steamboat landing, and a coal mine south of town gave rise to hopes of a mining industry. But now the town is abandoned.
In its brief lifetime, however, Rock Bluff played a major part in an important bit of Nebraska history. An election on June 2, 1866, was held to determine the question of statehood and to choose a new governor. The senior judge, Jeremiah Hutchinson, declared the polls closed for an hour while he went to lunch with Joshua Murray, another judge, and H. Smith, a clerk. To make sure there would be no foul play, they locked the ballot box and took it with them. Taking the ballot box with them was termed an illegal act, however, and the Rock Bluff vote was not allowed. Accepting the Rock Bluff ballots as legal would have elected J. Sterling Morton governor by a majority of 23, and Nebraska would have remained a territory; casting aside the vote elected David Butler governor, and favored conversion of the Territory of Nebraska into a state.
Kenosha, Liberty, Cleveland, Osage, Factoryville, Folden's Mill or "String Town," and Eight Mile Grove were other towns which enjoyed but a brief existence. In the years 1856-57 forty-nine "paper towns" were recorded in Cass County, and forty-two of them were surveyed and platted.
To make these towns attractive, all were described as having a "Public Square," and most of them a "University Square." Such fictional cities could be easily formed under an act of congress entitled, "The townsite act for relief of citizens of towns upon lands of the United States." No less than eight suburbs were incorporated near the city of Plattsmouth alone. The legislature stopped the practice with a regulatory act in 1858.
The pioneers held claim jumpers and horse thieves on a level with murderers. For nearly a decade after the claim clubs disbanded around 1855, Horse Thief Associations and mob-law were the rule. Three brothers named Johnson and a relative of theirs named Kelly were drowned in 1857, when they were convicted of "rustling" after a hasty trial. In 1936 Henry Vallery, 85 years old, recalled the hanging of two men he watched when he was a boy. "I spent two years in the Klondike looking for gold and saw lots of bad things but nothing as bad as that hanging," he commented. Lafayette Nuckolls, 20 years old, was selected to serve in the first legislative council. J. M. Latham, William Kempton and J. D. N. Thompson served in the house.
During the Civil War Dr. R. R. Livingston, a Plattsmouth physician and editor, organized and commanded a volunteer company which was in action at Fort Henry, Fort Donelson, Corinth and Shilo. The Arkansas legislature passed a resolution thanking the company and Col. Livingston for their services. Another prominent character among the early Cass County citizens was Samuel Maxwell, Nebraska supreme court justice from 1872 to 1888.125
Cass Who's Who
He is also the author of three legal works, "Practice in Justice Courts," "Criminal Procedure," and "Pleading, Precedents and Practice."
The most famous Cass County citizen in more modern times is Bess Streeter Aldrich. Her novels have been published in numerous popular magazines before they appeared in book form. In "A Lantern in Her Hand," Mrs. Aldrich portrayed the hardy character of pioneers like those who built her native state and county.
Cass County is one of the Nebraska areas richest in evidences of a prehistoric Indian race which lived in this region many centuries ago. Along the Weeping Water and its tributaries more than 200 house ruins of this people have been found. They lived in square earth lodges along the bluffs of the Platte and Missouri rivers. The farmers' plows, wind, and water erosion have destroyed the mounds above their communal graves.
Dr. William D. Strong, of the Smithsonian Institution at Washington, D. C., made a study of this prehistoric culture several years ago, and reported, "It is the woodland culture of the northeastern affiliation that occurs on the eastern border as the earliest known occupation of this sort in Nebraska." Pioneers found many pits from 50 to 100 feet in diameter, varying in depth from 10 to 20 feet. An investigation by General S. F. Nuckolls, Judge Brown, J. H. Decker, H. Z. Luddington and T. J. Armstrong discovered a fragment of a bullet in one of the pits, and they then declared the pits were lead mines. Later, however, Thomas Patterson, a government surveyor, found many clusters of flint in the pits, and called them "Flint Mines," a name they still bear. A few years ago Dr. Earl H. Bell, anthropology professor at the University of Nebraska, made several researches in the Cass County region.
AGIUS, GEORGE: Clgyman; b Island of Malta (British), Jan 10, 1872; s of Joseph Agius-Teresa ___; ed Malta HS; Pontifical Seminary of St Apollinaris, ThD, Dr Canon law; ordained priest Jesuit's Seminary Dec 16 1895; 1896 went to Rome, Italy to attend lectures Roman Pontifical Seminary; 5 yrs study, Rome; 1902-12 secy to Bishop Thomas Bonacum, Lincoln, also chancellor Lincoln Diocese; 1912-16 pastor St Vincent Ch, Seward; 1916-27 pastor St Joseph's, Geneva; June 8, 1927- pastor St John's, Plattsmouth; alternate posts Agnew &Cortland during 10 yrs in Lincoln; classmate in Rome of Pope Plus XII; C of C; KC; Dean Plattsmouth Deanery, Cass & Otoe Cos; hobbies, flowers, travel; res 512 B Ave, Plattsmouth.
ALDRICH, BESS STREETER: Novelist; b Cedar Falls, Ia Feb 17, 1881; d of James Wareham Streeter-Mary Anderson; ed Cedar Falls Ia HS 1898; Ia St Tchrs Coll 1901; awarded honorary degree Doctor of Letters U of N 1934; Theta Sigma Phi; Chi Delta Phi; m Charles S Aldrich Sept 24, 1907 Cedar Falls Ia (dec May 3, 1925); s James Whitson, Charles Stewart, Robert Streeter; d Mary Eleanor (Mrs Milton Beechner); 1901-02 tchr Boone Ia; 1902-05 tchr Marshalltown Ia; 1905-06 tchr Salt Lake City Utah; 1906-07 asst supvr primary training, Ia St Tchrs Coll; 1907-09 homemaker, Tipton Ia; 1909- homemaker, Elmwood; author of approximately 200 short stories published in American Magazine, Ladies Home Journal, Womans Home companion, Delineator, Good Housekeeping, Century, Cosmopolitan, Harpers Weekly, etc; author of Mother Mason 1924, Rim of the Prairie 1925, The Cutters 1926, A Lantern in Her Hand 1928, A White Bird Flying 1931, Miss Bishop 1933, Spring Came on Forever 1935, The Man Who Caught the Weather 1936, Song of Years 1939; Miss Bishop is to be produced as a motion picture in the near future; Altrusa; PEO; Omaha Womans Press; Southern Cal Press; Midland Authors; Neb Writers Guild; OES; Meth Ch; hobby, fishing; res The Elms, Elmwood.
BAIRD, WILLIAM: Retired; b Co Antrim, Ireland Jan 6 1860; s of Hugh Baird-Ellen Foster; ed: Co Antrim; m Maggie 0 Tourtelott June 12, 1902 Lincoln; s Robert (dec Oct 28, 1920); d Sarah I (Mrs Harley Cecil); orphan since age 4; 1874-78 appr in gen mechanics trade Crumlin Ire; 1878-82 worked at trade in Ireland; 1882 landed Quebec Canada; emp in sawmill Melbourne Quebec; 1882-83 opr cutoff saw in stove factory Charing Cross Canada; 1883 went to Freeland Colo, then to Lincoln, emp by CB&Q RR, then the B&M RR in construction work; 1888-97 with CB&Q RR in Lincoln; 1897-1902 gen car inspector, western lines; 1902-07 gen foreman in mechanical dept KC StJ &CB RRs St Joseph Mo; 1907-08 gen car inspector CE&Q, lines west, Lincoln; 1908-31 supt shops CB&Q Plattsmouth; 1931- ret; life mbr, past patron Electa Ch OES; life mbr & past master AF&AM; Scot Rite, Shrine; ch mbr, past pres Rotary; past pres C of C; hobbies, gardening, collectIng odd poems, tombstone inscriptions; res 648 Main, Plattsmouth.
BANNING, WILL B: Agriculturist; b Wyoming, Neb Sept 18, 1869; s of William H Banning-Eliza Wilson; ed rural sch; LBC 1891; m Jennie E Roush Sept 6, 1899 Keosauqua, Ia; s Hollis Selden; 1896 ent grain bus Union; 1896-1902 in impl bus; 1903-20 owner of int in lbr yard; 1917- active in horticulture; Neb sen, 7 terms; 4 min man during World War, also Cass Co food administrator; mbr Neb St Fair Bd 28 years, treas 7 years, pres 2 years; 1935-36 dir of agr State of Neb; Dem; past master AF&AM, mbr of lodge 246 Nehawka, Plattsmouth Comm; Seostris Shrine; Bapt Ch; hobbies, hunting, gardening; res Union.
BARNARD, CHARLES CERROLL: Farmer; b Hillsdale, Ia Sept 22, 1886; s of Robert T Barnard-Elizabeth Barb; ed HS; m Gertrude Viola Cole June 15, 1911 Mynard Neb; Dec 1903-12 emp on farm near Mynard; has farmed indep on same place since 1912; breeder Red Polled cattle, Chester White hogs, Percheron horses; road overseer 1921-29; helped obtain funds to improve roads in his pct; contributed to expense of bldg Mynard road; mbr C of, C; Korn Klub; hobbies, horses, mechanics; res Mynard.
BATES, MRS. ROBERT A; Publisher; b Lockport, Ill Apr 26, 1876; d of Abraham J Rupley-Catherine Lotz; ed Plattsmouth HS; m Robert A Bates June 29, 1909 Council Bluffs Ia; Mr Bates pur Plattsmouth Journal 1902, she began working for Journal same year; after marriage aided husband 25 yrs; 1934- in chg of Journal & Bates Book Store since death of husband who built Journal from handset weekly into daily with semi-weekly edition; paper now has modern equipment, leased wire service added 1937; Womans Club; NPA; C of C; Plattsmouth Flower Club; Plattsmouth Ad Club; Episc Ch; hobby, flowers; off 409 Main, res 702 Locust, Plattsmouth.
BECKER, ABRAHAM LINCOLN: Farmer; b Union, Neb Feb 16, 1863; s of Peter J Becker-Livona Kinner; parents came to Neb 1858, settled in Cass Co 1862; ed Cass Co; PSTC 1887; m Eva L Taylor June 23, 1887 Union; s Henry Harrison, John Thaddeus, Ray Francis, Roy Fleming; d Mary Leona, Ethel Mae; 30 yrs buyer seller & feeder of cattle; Union resident since 1886; helped org AOUW; master AF&AM; sch bd mbr 20 yrs; Bapt Ch; res Union.
BERGER, IDA WILKENS: Homemaker; b DeWitt, Neb June 23,1884; d of Louis W Wilkens-Katherine Krieg; ed DeWitt HS; U of N, BSC in Home Ec, tchrs life certificate 1921; m Nelson Berger Apr 9, 1924 Lincoln; 1901-08 tchr DeWitt; 1908-10 tchr Lincoln pub sch; 1910-12 priv instr in china painting; 1921-23 Cass Co home demonstration agt; 1926-28 secy Cass Co Fedn Women's Clubs, pres 1929-30; 1927-28 pres Home Ec Dept, Org Agr; 1928 del natl conv farm women in Chicago; 1929-31 mbr judging com to select126
Cass Who's Who
Master Homemaker of Neb, Farmers Wife Magazine; pres Nehawka Woman's Club 1933-35; past dist chmn NFWC; past noble grand Rebekahs; OES; past VP, past secy Triangle Club, now group chmn; past chmn ARC; Nebraskans Soc; past mbr lib bd; during World War chmn of DeWitt ARC; hobbies. gardening, attending cons, conducting book reviews; res Nehawka.
BERGER, NELSON L: Farmer; b Hemingford, Neb Sept 23, 1888; s of J P Berger-Mollie A McReynolds; ed Nehawka HS; m Ida M Wilkens Apr 9, 1924 Lincoln; 1902- farmer near Nehawka; 1926 won Cass Co 10 A corn yield contest, won state prize 1928, winner in state 100 Bu Corn Club contest 1929; 1934- mbr Nehawka Fed Farm Loan Assn, pres 1939; dir Nehawka Farmers Grain Co, pres 1934-38; past VP 1st dist Neb Crop Growers Assn; past pct chmn Cass Co soil conservation com; Cass Co Farm Bur; Nebraskana Soc; past chancellor comm KP 77, past grand chancellor; past noble grand IOOF, treas 1935-39; Rebekah; AF&AM; Sesostris Shrine; Meth Ch; hobby, raising livestock; res Nehawka.
BERNHARDT, ELMER H: Manager Packing Firm; b Osmond, Neb May 6, 1899; s of John Bernhardt-Anna Machmueller; ed Norfolk; Barber Coll, Sioux City Ia 1918; m Dorothy Noaecker May 16, 1926 Columbus; d Carol Lou; 1917-18 foreman co road constrn, Madison Co; 1918-22 emp Machmueller Barber Shop, Humphrey; 1922-27 emp Tolerton-Warfield Whol Groc, Norfolk; 1927-28 asst supt Norfolk Packing Co; 1928-38 supt Norfolk Packing Co, Norfolk & Plattsmouth; 1938- gen mgr, VP Norfolk Packing Co; ch mbr & past dir Norfolk Jr C of C; dir Plattsmouth C of C; Neb City BPOE; Plattsmouth Country Club; Presby Ch; Rep; hobby, golf; off Norfolk Packing Co; res 312 N 6th, Plattsmouth.
BLOOM, MARTIN RUDOLPH: Real Estate Broker; b Holdrege, Neb July 8, 1886; s of John Bloom-Emily Nelson; ed Luther College; m Mabel West, Oct 7, 1907 Hastings; d Genevieve Elaine; 1907 moved to Carthage, S D, helped father in land off 4 years; 1911 moved to Lincoln, eng in real estate bus & subdivision promotion; 1929 moved to Plattsmouth, has since eng in sale of eastern Neb farms; father settled 30 mi from Kearney; res Plattsmouth.
BOEDECKER, WILLIAM GLEN: Banker; b Murray, Neb June 10 1885; s of Charles H Boedecker-Jane Hobson; ed pub sch; Cotner Coll 1906; m Leona Sans Oct 7, 1908 near Rock Bluffs; s Charles H II; d Flora Jane; 1907 emp Arapahoe Bank; 1908 pur Murray State Bank; 1930 son, Charles ent bank, cash since 1932; bank oprd without restriction following 1933 moratorium; town bd; 28 yrs mbr sch bd, resigned 1936; AF&AM; KT; Mt Zion Comm, RAM; Neb & Amer Bkrs Assns; FDIC; owner 2 farms near Murray; has visited Mexico, France, Italy, Switzerland, Holland, Belgium, was in Germany during Czecho-Slovskian march in 1938; Presby Ch; Rep: hobby, travel; off Murray State Bank; res Murray.
BORNEMEIER, AUGUST H: Farmer, b near Murdock, Neb Aug 7, 1876; s of August Bornemeier-Margaret Reuter; ed Murdock rural sch; m Augusta Fix Mar 9, 1899 Gage Co; s George Willard; d Clara Lillie, Sylvia; 1898 began farming; later moved to present half section, on same location over 40 yrs; moderator sch bd 20 years; 7 years pres Farmers Union Co-op Oil Co; executor large Fix est, Holt Co; 1936 del to state Rep conv; res Elmwood.
BORNEMEIER, WILLIAM H: Farmer; b Murdock, Neb Jan 20, 1879; s of August Bornemeier-Margaret Reuter; ed Murdock Co; m Martha Panska June 11, 1902, Murdock; s Clarence Daniel, Raymond Willard; farming indep since 1901; former mbr sch bd 44 for 21 years; Meth Ch; hobbies, swine raising & hunting; res Elmwood.
BOTHWELL, NORVELL DOUGLESS: Merchant; b Elmwood, Neb Aug 18, 1894; s of Oliver Bothwell-Caroline Dougless; ed Elmwood HS 1908; m Mona Turner Sept 24, 1921 Lincoln; d Jean Adair, lived on farm until 1926 then pur gen store, Elmwood; 1933 joined Clover Farms store orgn, opr since; during World War Dec 4, 1917 ent army, disch Dec 25, 1918, priv 841st aero squad; Amer Leg; WOW; C of C; mbr sch bd; Chris Ch; res Elmwood.
BUSCH, FRED P: Clothier; b Mt Vernon, Ill, July 25, 1887; s of Charles Busch-Anna Kline; ed Mt Vernon Ill; m Pearl Bingaman, 1914 Plattsmouth; 1901-03 emp on farm Jefferson Co, Ill; 190304 clk Famous Clothiers, Mt Vernon; 1904-06 emp tailoring estab, St Louis Mo; 1907-09 traveling representative for tailoring concern, dry goods house, cigar store, St Louis; 1910-11 mgr Palace Cloth Store, Herrin Ill; 1912-13 mgr Midwest Tailors, South Omaha; 1914- owner, opr Busch's Tailoring ship, Plattsmouth; 1918- Ladies Toggery; pres Business Men's Ad Club; Plattsmouth C of C; AF&AM; OES; RAM; Meth Ch, finance bd; hobby, reading; res Plattsmouth.
CAPWELL, JOSEPH ALFRED: Attorney; b Factoryville, Penn Oct 5, 1888; s of Joseph Allison Capwell-Hattie Dickson; ed U of N, LLB; Neb Sch of Bus; m Nita Samek, Aug 19, 1925 Harvard; 1916 ent law prac Elmwood; 1924 opened law office Plattsmouth; due to resignation A G Cole, Cass Co atty, apptd to complete term Mar 1924-Jan 1925; city atty Apr 1925-May 1932; chmn Dem. Central Com 2 years; mbr state exec com; named co atty to fill unexpired term 1937-38; during World War joined army Nov 1, 1917, disch Aug 12, 1919, coast arty; capt in inf ROC; Amer Leg; pres bd of edn; AF&AM; Scot Rite; Meth Ch, SS supt 2 years; hobby, guns; res 514 Marble, Plattsmouth.
CARSTEN, FRED LOUIS: Farmer & Legislator; b Avoca, Neb Nov 25, 1886; s of Louis Carsten-Selma Sarah Haeffner; ed Avoca; Ia Wes 1902-03; LBC 1904-06; Neb St Coll of Agr 1906-07; m Nancy Ethel Fleshman May 3, 1911 Omaha; s Calvin Fleshman; 1907- farmer near Avoca; 1935-36 senator last bicameral, 2nd dist, 1937 mbr Neb legislature, 3rd dist; AF&AM 97; IOOF, Avoca & Wyo; Congl Ch, 1929-33 SS supt; hobbies, reading, breeding of saddle horses; res Avoca.
CLAPP, WILLARD: Farmer; b Elmwood, Neb Dec 20, 1878; s of Charles, Dorland Clapp-Eva Greenslate; father pioneer mcht, founder of Elmwood; ed Elmwood HS; U of N law coll, 1902; Leland Stanford U, BA, LLB 1904; mbr Sigma Alpha Epsilon; Phi Delta Phi; m Doris Cole June 11, 1919 York; d Marion (dec), Evelyn; 1904-05 secy to Congressman Earnest Pollard, Washington D C: field agt immigration dept during Taft administration; chmn Rep Co Com; 1932 Rep nominee for legislature; farming 360 A since 1910; AF&AM; Episc Ch; hobbies, stock raising, study of economics: res, Elmwood.
CLEMENTS, GUY L: Banker; b Elmwood, Neb Jan 13, 1888; s of Byron I Clements-Minnie Bailey; ed Elmwood HS 1906; m Marie Lorenz June 27, 1917 Elmwood; s Dwight: d Betty; 1908 with Amer Exch Bank; 1910-26 asst cash, 1926-38 cash, 1938 pres; studied law under late C S Aldrich, passed bar 1926, in law prac since; 1934 pres group 1, Neb Bankers Assn; during World War enl 1918 signal corps, Plattsmouth; 1919 disch, Camp Meade Md: Amer Leg; Meth Ch mbr more than 40 years; IOOF mbr 30 years; Rep; hobbies, baseball, tennis, golf, swimming; res Elmwood.
CLOIDT, FRANK A: Bank Cashier; b Plattsmouth, Neb Aug 18, 1886; s of John Joseph Cloidt-Gertrude Biene; ed St John's parochial sch; m Marrie Ola Becker Oct 15, 1913 Galesburg Ill; d Maxine Gertrude, Frances; became sole support of parents at 14, gen delivery clerk postal service 3 years, asst P M until Jan 1921; Feb 21, 1921 asst cash Plattsmouth State Bank, 1923-cash; mbr bd of edn past 16 years, secy 14 years; C of C; bd of dirs Rotary; Garden Club; Cass Co Sportsmens Club; treas 3 Masonic lodgese (sic), Plattsmouth; secy advisory coun Order of DeMolay; AF&AM 6; Neb Ch RAM; Mt Zion Comm 5 KT; Order of Past High Priests; tenor, sang for AF&AM, grand lodge & grand ch RAM, Rotary, Masonic quartet at Omaha & Council Bluffs; elder & treas Presby Ch, SS chorister; res 1104 Main, Plattsmouth.
COAKLEY, MRS BELLE HULFISH: Teacher; b Wabash, Neb; d of William M Hulfish-Rettie Gordon; ed Elmwood; PSTC; U of N: m Harry Coakley Aug 17, 1923, Council Bluffs Ia; s William Paul; tchr, Murdock, Wann, Royal; 7 years in primary work, Ericson; 1923-24 tchr, Macy; lived at intervals among Omaha Indians to study customs; PTA; Comm Ch; hobbies, living with Indians, collection of primitive relics; res Elmwood.
CONIS, GEORGE: Owner Shine Parlor; b Haraditoca, Lafcas, Greece Mar 1895; s of Peter Conis-Dimitra Pappas; ed Greece; m Pepina Panicalou Jan 4, 1925 St Joseph Mo; 1913 came to Amer, emp by UP RR; 1914 with MoP RR, Nebraska City; 1914-15 emp Central Shine Parlor, Nebraska City; 1915 emp in Plattsmouth; 1916- owner opr shine parlor, Plattsmouth; 1918-19 in US army during World War, 70th inf Co K 10th div Camp Funston Kas; past comm Amer Leg; 1938- chmn127