First Presbyterian Church of Tekamah, Nebraska was
organized by the Rev. J. M. Peebles, M. D., in 1889....
Rev. Jeremiah B. Long became the first pastor in April
1870.... Rev. Long was Irish by birth, left an orphan in
early years, he was reared by a wealthy family in Indiana
and educated for the Presbyterian ministry in the Chicago
Theological Seminary. This was his first charge. The Rev.
George R. Carroll of Council Bluffs, Iowa, was at the
time the synodical missionary for the territory, who
arranged for the pulpit supply. The alternate supplies
were Rev. Dr. J. Peebles of Decatur, Rev. George D.
Stewart of Omaha and Rev. McCandlish...."
"The charter members were:
C. K. Conger and wife, Mrs. Mary Sutherland, Mrs. Evelyn
Ludwick, Mrs. Goodwin, Mrs. Caroline Hawks, Mrs. Hannah
Wallace and Mrs. Abbie Cochran. C. K. Conger was elected
the first Ruling Elder." In addition to the
ministers already named the following were:
|Rev. John C. SLOAN (1873 - 1878)
|Rev. William J. YOUNG (1878 - 1880)
|Rev. John V. GRISWOLD (1880 - 1883)
|Rev. John C. CHERRYHOLMES (1884 - 1886)
|Rev. Lester D. WELLS (1887 - 1888)
|Rev. Robert M. L. BREDEN (1888 - 1890)
|Rev. Everet SMITS (1891 - 1893)
|Rev. Alex G. WILSON (1894 - 1902)
|Rev. J. D. KERR (1902 - 1904)
|Rev. Robert W. TAYLOR (1904 - 1914)
|Rev. Benjamin A. FYE (1914 - 1919)
|Rev. Paul C. JOHNSON (1919 - 1922)
|Rev. Arch J. KEARNS (1922 -____)
|"The Ruling Elders constituting the Session
at the present time (1924) are: R. L. ADAMS, R. J.
MITTEN, C. A. JACK, S. BRECKENRIDGE, J. F. NESBIT, H. E.
VALDER, C. A. VALDER, James A. CLARK , G. L. DUNN, F. W.
PALEN, J. L. POTTER, P. C. BRANDT, and D. W.
GREENLEAF." "The Trustees are (1924): J. F.
NESBIT, F. F. WARD, Dr. M. WOOD, Douglas SUTHERLAND,
Herman TRAGGE, J. E. BRECKENRIDGE, Roy WETHERALL, James
A. CLARK and C. A. VALDER.