Roseland  History


by Catherine Trausch Renschler

Although the town of Roseland did not exist until 1887, a post office by that name had been established in August, 1875, when Benjamin F. Evans was appointed postmaster.  The post office was located in Mr. Evans' home on the northeast quarter of section 22, Roseland Township.  Mr. Evans chose the name Roseland because of the many wild roses which grew in the vicinity. 

Walter P. Davis had purchased the east quarter of section 21 in 1873 and Thomas Carter had homesteaded the southeast quarter of section 22  about the same time.  In 1886 when it appeared certain that the Kansas City and Omaha Railroad would be built through this area, plans for a townsite were begun.   E.G Groff surveyed the village, located in the southwest quarter of section 21, in April, 1887.   The town was incorporated on May, 1889, to include portions of sections 20, 21, 22, 27, 28, and 29.  This large area was necessary to include enough voters to sign a petition for a saloon license.  

The first birth in the Roseland vicinity was that of Frances Boyd, born February 18, 1875.  The first death was that of William Dieter on July 4, 1873.         

The first general store in Roseland was opened in 1887 by  J. S. Richards.  He had operated a store in Ayr and moved a building from there to Roseland.  J. H. Schmitz established the second business in town when he built a new building and stocked it with hardware.  Also during 1887 a grain elevator was erected by W.F. Duncan and J.P. Duncan.  A second elevator was erected in 1888 by Schwab and Pope.  Mr. Pope sold his elevator in 1902 to a corporation of farmers which included Erick Johnson, Erick Larsen,  B. F. Evans, Charles Johnson, Gottlieb Fischer and A.W.  Evans.  U. Engleman erected a new saloon building in 1888.  A. H. Brooke opened the first drug store in Roseland in 1891.  The first hotel, located south of  the railroad depot, was built in 1890 by Thomas Carter who was also the postmaster and Justice of peace.  In 1895 Sol Davidson operated a hotel and livery stable  north of the railroad  tracks.

J.S. Richards, who opened the first store, sold his merchandise to E.F. Miller and F.A. Miller about 1893.  This business later became known as Miller and Martin, the largest general merchandise store in town.  Frank Waugh erected a building and engaged in the confectionery business in 1893.

School District 42, later known as the Roseland School, was organized January 30, 1874.  The first school house was located in section 22, on land leased from Thomas Carter. At this location, one mile east of the present village, stood a one room frame schoolhouse.  In 1888 a two-story frame school building, with two rooms on each floor, was erected in the new village of Roseland.  Past and Present of Adams County, 1916 stated "School opened for the first time in the Village of Roseland December 24, 1888.  The completion of the school building had delayed the opening so late in the year that it opened at the first opportunity, regardless of the fact that the next day would be Christmas." The district originally had only eight grades, later ninth and tenth grades were added.   In 1917 when the eleventh and twelfth grades were added, more room was needed so a new brick building was constructed.  It did not have rest rooms or central heat. In 1919 District 77, Martin School, merged with Roseland to become the first consolidated district in Adams County.  At that time state law required all consolidated schools to offer bus service, so the first school bus, drawn by four mules, was added.  In 1929 classrooms and a gymnasium were added and in 1964 a new gymnasium was erected.  In 1986 Roseland district consolidated with Bladen in Webster County forming Silver Lake School District.  The grade school is operated in Bladen and a new high school building opened in Roseland in 1995.

A newspaper which advertised the wares of the local merchants and encouraged people to settle in the area was an important asset to a small town which hoped to grow.  Roseland had several newspapers over the years.  The first newspaper, publication dates unknown, was operated by Will Maupin for about six months.  No copies are known to have survived.  The Roseland Reporter appeared in March, 1890. with Fred Evans as editor.  The Roseland Gazette was first published in January, 1893, with A. W. Evans as editor.  The paper discontinued after Evan's death in 1905.  Microfilm copies are available for July 1901 through Jan 1903.   The Roseland Progress was printed from December 1907 until July, 1908, with M. J. Stoetzel as local editor and Russell W. Shields as publisher. The entire run of this paper is available on microfilm. 

Several banks have operated in Roseland.  The Bank of Roseland with Mary Estes as president and Benjamin Estes as cashier operated during the 1890s and closed in 1897.  The Citizens Bank was organized in 1917 and its assets were taken over by the Citizens State Bank in 1925.  Citizens State Bank had been organized in 1919 and erected a new brick building in 1925.  Roseland State Bank was chartered in 1904 by the Edward Hall family, with a capital of $5,000.  The bank was located in a frame building until 1920 when a brick building was erected.  The present building was erected in 1969.  In May, 1986, due to the problems in the agricultural economy, the bank was closed by the FDIC.  It reopened as a branch of the Hastings State Bank.

Roseland Co-operative Grain and Supply was organized in 1906.  Mart Stoetzel served as manager for over 25 years.  A 75 foot high elevator with a capacity of 15,000 bushels was built in 1912.  In 1960 a concrete elevator was built, bringing the storage capacity to 800,000 bushels.  The Roseland, Bladen and Blue Hill coops merged in 1980.  Their combined capacity is 3.3 million bushels.  The great productivity of Nebraska's farmers is illustrated in the growth of this elevator from 15,000 to 3.3 million bushel capacity.

Roseland Brickyard, also known as Trausch Brothers Brickyard, was begun in 1909 by John H. Trausch, George Trausch, Peter Trausch, and William Trausch.  The yard operated during the late spring, summer, and early fall months of each year.   About 10,000 bricks could be molded and cut in a good day's run in the plant which was powered by a steam engine.  The usual employees during the years Trausch Brothers operated the brickyard included: John H. Trausch, plant superintendent; George and Peter Trausch operated the steam engine; Joseph Jurgens operated the mixer machine; Peter Goedert, night fireman; Sol Driebelbis and Charley Kramer, brick setters; Martin and Jake Wengler, Calvin Cline, A.G. Bourg, and Jake Zubrod as well as numerous Trausch sons and nephews.  

 One of the first buildings in the area constructed with Roseland brick was the home of Thomas Trausch, built in Roseland in 1912.  Thomas was the father of a large family, including the brothers who owned the brick yard. Trausch Brothers sold the brickyard to C. Carpenter in 1919.  He sold it to J.E. Heuertz and Ed Hall.  In June, 1929 the brickyard, then owned by Ed Hall and Dr. J. L. Mace, was sold and the plant dismantled. 

Roseland, like most small towns suffered several disastrous fires.   The most destructive was the fire of August 25, 1913.  The fire began in the restaurant of R.O. Kerr and quickly spread to the Miller and Martin General Store.  Only one wagon load of goods was saved from the store which was a complete loss.  Other buildings destroyed were Roth Brothers old store, filled with harness and furniture and the offices of Dr. Mace.  Williams Livery Barn, the drug store and Roth Brothers new hardware store were soaked with water and hung with wet blankets to keep them from burning.  At this time Roseland's only fire fighting equipment was a hand pumper fire engine.  The quick action of the citizens and lack of wind were credited with saving many buildings.

Trausch's store was established in 1925 by George and Lucy Trausch.   The store moved into its current location in 1947, and in 1953 Mike and Virginia Trausch purchased the business from his parents.  Trausch's Cafe opened in 1960 in the north side of the store building.  Steve Trausch, son of Mike, purchased the store and cafe in 1984 becoming the third generation of the family to operate the store.

The Methodists and the United Brethren of the Roseland vicinity jointly built a church in 1883 on Solomon Favinger's farm, 1 1/2 miles southwest of Roseland where the cemetery is located.  Soon after the town was established the building was moved into the village.  Later the Methodists purchased a country church building and moved it into town.  The United Brethren disbanded and their building was torn down about 1915.  In 1969 the Roseland United Methodist Church merged with the Holstein United Methodist Church. 

The Sacred Heart Catholic Church was constructed in 1920 and dedicated in 1921. the rectory was built in 1922.  Father J.L. O'Donnell, the first priest, served until 1926.  Prior to 1920 Roseland Catholics had attended the Assumption Catholic Church north of town.     

Hastings City and Adams County Directory, 1895
Alphabetical listing of Roseland residents

   Situated in the south-west part of the county, 17 miles from Hastings on the KC&O branch of the St Joe & GI RR.  Two churches, one school, AOUW lodge.  Thos Carter postmaster.  Population 350.  Town Hall.

Bank of Roseland
Barass, O. D.                         manager Oliver & Bechtelheimer
Barrass, Sarah, Mrs
Barrass, Ralph B
Bennett,  Jennie C Mrs.        Millinery
Bennett, Bessie Miss
Bentz, S. M.                             harness maker
Bentz, O. A.
Bentz, Calvin
Buckhardt, D. S.                     painter
Burchard, Gustav C                blacksmith
Burchard, Elizabeth Mrs
Carter, Thos W                     postmaster, justice of peace
Carter,  Lydia J  Mrs
Caton, Maggie Miss
Caton, Stella  Miss
Caton,  Etta M                      teacher
Davis,  W. P.                         real estate and insurance
Davis,  Lucie  Miss
Davis,  Nettie  Miss
Davis,  W. P. Mrs
Davison Hotel                     prop. S. Davison
Davison,  Sol                       livery
Davison,  Martha L  Mrs
Davison,  Nora M   Miss
Davison,  Nellie  Miss
Drake,  Henry                      plasterer
Drake,  Sarah E  Mrs
Dreibelbis,  Lulu  Miss
Dreibelbis,  Sam                  constable
Duncan Bros.                      grain
Duncan,  John P                  Duncan Bros.
Duncan,  Bridget  Mrs
Duncan,  Pat W
Duncan, Ellen  Mrs
Duncan,  Wm F                  Duncan Bros.
Duncan,  Mary Mrs
Estes,  B. S.                         cashier, Bank of Roseland
Estes,  Mary J  Mrs           president, Bank of Roseland
Evans,  A. W.                     publisher   Roseland Gazette
Evans,  W. B.
Evans,  Martha Mrs
Evans, Barbara J  Mrs
Evans,  Dora  Misss        teacher
Evans,  Mary  Mrs
Favinger,  Sol                     grocer and confectiioner
Favinger,  Louisa  Mrs
Favinger, Hubert
Favinger, Charles
Favinger,  Cora  Miss
Favinger,  Blanche  Miss
Favinger,  Henry
Favinger,  Rebecca  Mrs
Gentsch,  Anna  Miss
Gentsch,  Christian W`        cabinet maker
Gentsch,  Lizzie Mrs              boarding
Gentsch,  Otto F                     photographer
Hamelius,  Math
Hamelius,  Ella  Mrs
Hartman,  M. K.
Hartman,  Emeline  Mrs
Henigan,  Francis
Henigan,  Katie, Mrs
Henigan,  George
Henigan,  Agnes  Miss
Hershey,  Joseph                     carpenter
Hershey,  Mary  Mrs
Hershey,  Joe
Hershey,  Ike
Hovey,  Mary E  Mrs
Joynt,  Wm E                           general Merchant
Joynt,  Susie N  Mrs
Joynt, Clara M  Miss
Joynt,  John                             clerk W. E. Joynt
Kapser,  Jacob C                     Pope & Kapser
Kapser,  Julia A  Mrs
Keilmann,  Frank
Keilmann,  Mary  Mrs
Keilmann,  Leonard
Keilmann,  Anna Mrs
Klein,  Geo  P                           meat market
Klein,  Mary Mrs
Kramer,  Sylvester
Kramer,  Anna  Mrs
Kramer,  Oliver
Kramer,  Mary Miss
Lenz,  A. J.                                section foreman (railroad)
Lenz,  Millie Mrs
Lull,  Delila  Mrs                     general merchandise
McCartney,  Wm  C                loan broker and insurance
McLane,  Mary Jane Miss    dressmaker
Mann,  Andy                             saloon
Mann,  Christina  Mrs
Mann,  Fredericka  Miss
Martin,  W. S.                          livery and auctioneer
Martin,  Sarah Mrs
Martin,  Nina  Miss
Miller & Walters                     general merchandise
Miller,  F. A.                             mgr. Miller & Walters
Nichols, Charles U
Nichols, Emma C  Mrs
Nichols,  John A                     book agt.
Nichols, Margaret J Mrs.
Nichols, Robert S
Nichols, Claude
Nichols, Charles
Nichols, Glen
Nichols, Fred
Nichols,  Maud Miss
Oliver & Bechtelheimer             lumber
Patterson,  MM                         principal, high shcool
Phelps,  David S                         drugs
Phelps,  Fannie E  Mrs
Pope & Kapser                          grain
Pope,  Millie Mrs
Richards,  John S
Ricahrds, Amelia Mrs
Richards,  Edna N  Miss
Richards,  Genevieve Miss        cashier at bank
Richards, Mary S                          teacher
Richards,  Benjamin
Rifer,     Geo                                     station agent
Rose,  Peter
Rose,  Martha  Mrs
Roseland Gazette                         A. W. Evans, publisher
Schmitz,  John A                         hardware
Schmitz,  Edith Mrs                     music teacher
Shaffer,  J. A.                                clerk, D. Phelps
Shaffer,  Sarah L  Mrs
Shuman,  G.                                 pastor, M E Church
Stivers,  C. C.                              physician
Stivers,  D. L.  Mrs
Swigart,  H. M.                         physician
Swigart,  Sarah C  Mrs

Swigart,  Willard
Walters,  W. H.                         barber
Walters,  Flora M  Mrs
Whelan,  O. A.                         carpenter
Whelan,  M. A.  Mrs
Whelan,  M. U.                         shoemaker
Whelan,  Margaret,  Mrs
Whelan,  F. F.
Williams,  R. E.                         painter
Williams,  Addie  Mrs
Williams,  Orla
Williams,  Minnie  Miss
Wilson,  Bessie  Miss              teachr
Wilson,  Stella Miss                 teacher
Wilson,  Mary E                        dress maker
Wilson,  Angeline Mrs
Woodford,  Katie L  Mrs.        asst. postmaster
Inmates of the Poor Farm
Jucker,  Albert
Lapp,  George
McKinney,   Margaret
Rooker,  John
Stewart,  Maria
Triester,  Mary


Published  by Wolfe and Pickering, Kenesaw, Nebraska

Alphabetical List of Roseland Residents

Bourg,  Flory        Blacksmith, wife Lucy, Cervation 14, Lilburn 12, LaMoyna 10, Jurren 8, Dorothy 6, Margie 2, Richard 1.

Bourg, Floyd        radio slaesman, wife Mildred, Hubert 4.

Bourg,   Frank         mechanic

Bourg,  George    garage proprietor.

Bourg,   Gus          well man, wife  Mrs.L.

Bourg,   John          well man

Breault,  Arthur     proprietor pool hall

Carter,  Thomas     veteran GAR, wife Mrs. J.

Cline,    Cal              state employee, wife Cora, Ramona 12, Barbara 10.

Davis,     Frank         drayman, wife Sadie, Archie 7, Patrick 3.

Dieter,    Milt           retired farmer, wife Mrs. S.

Dreibelbis, Solomon    brick setter.

Dreibelbis, Mrs. S.    widow.

Duncan,    Miss Fanny    telephone operator.

Duncan,    Mrs. John    widow

Essinger,    Otto    garage & repair shop, wife Mrs Otto, Vern 5, Robert 2,

Fernow,    J.B.      rural mail carrier, wife Mrs. J.B.

Fiske,    Roy         depot agent, wife Mrs. G, Gardner 12, LaVone 11, Douglass 4.

Frantz,    Milton    retired farmer, wife Mrs. Milton.

Geiger, Rev S.T.    pastor ME church, wife Mrs. S.T., Joy 7, Fairy 5, Hope 3.

Hall,    Edward,    President Roseland State Bank, wife Mrs. Edward, Edward Jr 18.

Hall,    Leland     cashier in bank, wife Mrs. H, Richard 3.

Harves,    Michael    retired farmer.

Hemberger,    Mrs. M.    widow.

Henigan,    Frank    retired section foreman, wife Mrs. Frank.

Heuertz,    John    retired farmer, wife Lucy,  Regina 16.

Hogg,     Frank    retired business man, wife Mrs. Frank.

Jones,    T.W.    elevator manager,     wife Mrs.T.W.,  Mary Helen 6.

Jurgens,    Joe    retired farmer, wife Barbara,  Lawrence, laborer.

Kramer,    Albert    laborer,     wife Ella,  Florence 10, Leslie 8, Dorothy 6, Iola 4, Earl 3.

Kramer,    Charles    section laborer.

Kramer,    Mrs. S.    widow.

Loskill,    Chris    retired farmer,     wife Mrs. K.

Lynch,    Robert    drug store,   wife Mrs. D.,  Eileen 4.

McCartney,    W.C. insurance agent.

McCue,    Ernest    grocer,   wife Mrs. Ernest, Max and Virginia 4.

Markin    Jesse W    school professor, wife Mrs. R.O., Agnes 10, Eilene 4, Emma  2, Wyman 1.

Martin,     E.      storekeeper.

Martin,     Mrs. Mary      widow.

Means,     Fred         elevator man,  wife Mrs. I., Virgil, Harry 16.

Merrel,    J. F.      GAR veteran, wife Rebecca, Oliver  Meachen, son in law,  May Meachen, dau.Beth Meachen 8.

Moore,    George     barber.

Nisson,    Chris         retired farmer

O'Donnell,    Rev.    Priest, Sacred Heart Church.  Miss C. Buehler, housekeeper.

Petersen,    Ed         retired, wife Mrs. H., Harriett 9, Fayette 7.

Price,    E. E.            banker, wife, Mrs. E.E.

Price,    Ross           bank cashier.

Roth,    Ed         carpenter, wife Mary, Clifford Schrubby 17, Joseph Schrubby 13, Norbert Roth, 12, Raymond Roth 10, John Roth 7.   

Roth,     Frank    hardware store, wife Mary, Donald 13, mary Ellen 9, Alice and Aileen  3.

Sass,    Jennie    widow,  Verne 14, John 12, Lloyd 7, Leonard 2.

Schlichman,    Ed    wife Mrs. Ed., Shirley 1.

Seyler,    Mrs. Frank,    widow.

Seyler,    Tony

Smith,    Dr. A. E.    physician, wife Mrs. L., Gail, drug clerk, Wilda 16, Burdette 3.

Snyder,    D. E.         thresherman.

Snyder,    Rebecca    widow,   Alice R.     nurse.

Staufer,    Abraham    retired farmer,  wife  Mrs. Abraham.

Stoetzel,    Mrs. Vera    Phyllis 15, Gerald 12, Katharyn 10, Minard  9.              

Tolksdorf,   Mrs. John,   widow,     Regina.

Tracy,    Roy    paperhanger,   wife  Mabel,  Gladys 15, Woodrow 12, Yvonne 9, Delores 7, Gordon 3. 

Trausch,    George    merchant,   wife lucy,  Eva 8, Darrell 6, Lawrence 4, Richard 1.

Trausch,    Joe            farmer,  wife Regina,   James 6 mos.

Trausch,    Sylvester    mechanic.

Trausch,    Tom,           retired farmer.

Weber,    George    telephone lineman,  wife Regina,  Ralph 4.

Weber,    Henry    rural mail carrier,  wife Tillie,  gerald 1.

Weigant,    Peter    retired farmer,   wife Rosa.

Wengler,    John    retired carpenter,    wife Mrs. R.

Whelan,    Bert     retired farmer,    mother, Mrs. Whelan.

Williams,    Horace    hardware clerk.

Winters,    Mrs. M. E.   widow.

Wormerskirche,    Pete    laborer, wife Mary, John laborer, Pete section hand, Emma, Margaret 17, Albert 16, Anna 11, Edith 9, Alice 2.

Zubrod,    Carl       mechanic.

Zubrod,    Peter    retired farmer,   wife Mrs. Peter.

Return to History Page
Return to the Adams County Main Page

Copyright © 2014 Catherine Renschler. All rights reserved.