WALLACE GALEHOUSE. the efficient postmaster of Carrington, and one of the leading merchants of that thriving town, is a gentleman of excellent business tact and has made a success in North Dakota. He has resided in Foster county many years, and was a well-known agriculturist of that locality, but the comfortable circumstances which now surround him have been acquired through his present business, due to his earnest industry and careful management.
Our subject was born in Danville, Vermillion county, Illinois, April 16, 1860, and was a son of J. E. and Mary (Gohn) Galehouse, both of whom were Americans by birth and of German descent. His father was in the agricultural implement business and moved to North Dakota in 1885 and settled at Carrington.
Mr. Galehouse was the oldest in a family of six children, five sons and one daughter, and was raised in that city and educated in the high schools. He started in the agricultural implement business at the age of eighteen or nineteen years and followed the same until he went to North Dakota, in the spring of 1884. He took land as a pre-emption in May of that year, and erected an 8x12-foot shanty, and worked for others at farming and driving ox-teams and other work, and the following year his father and the family moved to Dakota. He had a few teams and a wagon and industriously set about his farming, but the first five years on the whole were unprofitable, and he made little headway. He was appointed postmaster of Carrington by President Harrison in 1889, and during the early part of 1892 made a trip to California, remaining there until the spring of 1894, when he returned to Dakota and established a clothing and gents' furnishing goods store. He started his present business in a 20x20-foot rented building, and now owns and occupies a 22x48-foot building, which he acquired by purchase, and also purchased the building adjoining. He has increased his stock and now carries a complete line, one of the largest in the locality, and conducts the only exclusive clothing store in Carrington and enjoys an extensive trade.
Mr. Galehouse takes an active part in state and county affairs, and is an earnest supporter of every public enterprise. Politically he is a Republican, and has attended numerous state and county conventions of his party. He was appointed postmaster of Carrington a second time, under the McKinley administration, which position he still holds. He is a young man of good business capacity and is deservedly held in the highest esteem.
EDWARD T. HALAAS . For the past eighteen years this gentleman has tilled the soil of Foster county, and he now has one of the finest farms of the county, his home being located in township 147 range 66. He has made a success of general farming and is held in a high esteem as a farmer and citizen of true worth.
He was born on a farm near Christiansund, Norway, August 8, 1863. His father, Thorstein Erikson Halaas, was a farmer and carpenter by trade and lived and died in Norway. The mother of our subject, who bore the maiden name of Randi Oleson. came to America in 1892 after the death of our subject's father and now makes her home in Fargo, North Dakota.
Mr. Halaas is the fifth in a family of eight children and was raised on the farm and at the age of thirteen years left home and hired out to farm work for two years, and then went to Christiansund and worked in a general store for his uncle, P. Oleson, and remained there three years. He came to America at the age of eighteen years, landing at Boston, and at once went to Milan, Chippewa county, Minnesota, where he hired out at farming and also attended English school. He came to North Dakota in the spring of 1883 and traveled over the northern part of the state in quest of a location, and in May hired out on a farm in Grand Forks county. He located on un-surveyed land in Foster county in December, 1883, and built a shanty, 6x8 feet, and a sod barn, and farmed with oxen three years. He raised his first crop in 1884 and in 1885 raised eighteen to twenty bushels of wheat per acre. He lived alone the first four years and during the early days had many exciting experiences with prairie fires, and in 1897 fire destroyed his barn and seventy-five tons of hay, twenty-nine head of hogs, six work horses and a full blooded Shire stallion, valued at six hundred dollars, the loss amounting to three thousand dollars, with no insurance. He now has a farm of twelve hundred and eighty acres, with all but a half-section under cultivation and one hundred and sixty acres in pasture. He has two sets of farm buildings and his residence and surrounding buildings are substantial and commodious and furnish a home of comfort and are as good as any in that region. Mr. Halaas began life in North Dakota with very little means, having only enough to file his claim and erect a shanty, and the other means with which he purchased his early supplies was on borrowed money, which he worked out. He now has one of the finest farms of Foster county and in 1895 raised ten thousand bushels of grain.
Our subject was county assessor in 1890, 1891 and 1892, and in 1892 was elected county commissioner, and is now serving his third term in that capacity. He is actively interested in the general welfare of his community and is deservedly popular with the people among whom he has lived for so many years. He holds membership in the Ancient Order of United Workmen and in political sentiment is a Republican. Mr. Halaas was married, July 14, 1887, to Lina B. Rusten, who was born in Norway, near the city of Hamar, in 1858, daughter of Borger and Ely Rusten. To Mr. and Mrs. Halaas six children have been born: Theodore, Ralph, Ole, Leonard, Olga and Cora.
JOHN A. HALE. This gentleman is one of the extensive agriculturists and stock raisers of township 147, range 66, in Foster county, and has been identified with the farming interests of that locality from its early settlement. He has a well-improved estate,, and is held in high esteem as an energetic and worthy citizen.
Our subject was born on a farm near Whitehall, Trempealeau county, Wisconsin, February 8, 1864. His father, George H. Hale, was born in Connecticut, as were also his ancestors for two hundred years. The family originally came from Wales. The father of our subject was a farmer by occupation and served as a soldier of the Civil war, while the mother bore the maiden name of Mina C. Wegner. She was born in Germany and came to America when about seven years of age.
Our subject is the elder of two children, and was raised on the farm and attended the country school and assisted with the farm work. He removed with his parents to St. Paul, Minnesota, when about fourteen years of age, and there attended the city schools, removed with the family to North Dakota in the spring of 1882. They lived in Jamestown one summer and then went to Carrington in 1883, and the father took land in the fall of that year and moved thereon, and until 1887 our subject was associated with him in farming, and then worked for others about two years before he began farming for himself. He took land in section 21, township 147, range 66, and raised his first crop in 1889. He now has a farm of eight hundred acres, with seven hundred under cultivation, and has a complete set of good buildings thereon. His machinery includes a twenty-five-horse-power steam threshing rig, and he has followed grain farming most extensively, but of late is interested in cattle raising. In 1891 and 1895 his farm yielded well and he has made a success of grain farming.
Our subject was married in the fall of 1891, to Miss Addie B. Pease, who was born in Dane county, Wisconsin. Her father, Elijah D. Pease, was a native of New York state, and was a farmer by occupation. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Hale, as follows: Ruth, born July 7, 1893; Harry, born December 1, 1894. and Leslie, born January 20, 1896. Mr. Hale is well known throughout his community, and was assessor in the third district in 1896 and 1897. He holds membership in the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and politically is associated with the Republican party.
HALVER S. HALVORSON, who has been identified with the development of Foster county, North Dakota, for the past twenty years, is a gentleman of good business qualifications, and has made a success of farming and mercantile pursuits. He is one of the most extensive implement dealers and also carries hardware and feed, and deals in live stock in McHenry, under the firm name of Halvorson & Company.
Our subject was born on a farm in Trempealeau county, Wisconsin, October 24, 1875. His father was a farmer and came from Norway about 1866 with his family and settled in Wisconsin, where he took land as a homestead. He died in North Dakota in 1883, where he became an early settler. Halver S., when six years of age, went with his parents to the western part of Traill county, now known as Griggs county, where the father took government land near Cooperstown. He built a small claim shanty and a sod barn and began farming with oxen. The father followed farming there two years, when he became sick and died. Mr. Halverson had a limited amount of schooling and was early put to work, and when large enough began working for others. He spent much of his time in Cooperstown working at general merchandise, machinery and live stock business. Mr. Halvorson is in full charge of his business and was the pioneer implement and live stock dealer of McHenry. He has a good store building, with machine shed, several warehouses and storage building, barn, and so forth, and enjoys remarkable success, and keeps from four to five men employed a good share of the time. He has extensive farming interests, and is interested in the general welfare of his community. He holds membership in the Ancient Order of United Workmen and Modern Woodmen of America.
HARRY AUSTIN HOGUE, land solicitor for the Northern Pacific Railroad Company in North Dakota, with office at Carrington, is one of Foster county's pioneers and is a valued citizen and useful member of the community where he makes his home.
Mr. Hogue was born in Crawfordsville. Indiana, February 4, 1858, son of John and Amanda (Wilson) Hogue. The father was born in Indiana and served three years in the Eleventh Indiana Zouaves, from 1861 to 1864. His death occurred at Union City, Indiana, in 1867. Our subject's mother was born in Kentucky, and is now a resident of Indiana, her home being near Crawfordsville. Her name by her second marriage is Austin.
Harry Austin Hogue is the eldest of five children born to John and Amanda Hogue. He received a common-school education in his native state and spent his boyhood on the farm. In 1881 he came to Dakota and was for three years connected with the Northern Pacific Railway Engineering corps. In 1884 he took charge of an elevator at Melville, in Foster county, where he continued until 1889. In September of that year he established the "Foster County Independent," which journal he conducted until the autumn of 1896. He then sold the paper and entered the line of business in which he has since been engaged. He has always taken an active part in politics, and has given his support to the principles of the Republican party. In 1893 he was chosen as clerk of courts of Foster county. and served two consecutive terms, from 1893 to 1896.
Mr. Hogue was married, May 1, 1890, to Miss Hattie M. Beaty, of Foster county, and they have five children, named in the order of their birth, as follows: Edward P., Mabel A., Ruth E., Lynn A. and Harold A. Mrs. Hogue is a member of the Congregational church, and is a refined and accomplished lady, and a kind and indulgent mother. Mr. Hogue is a member of the Knights of Pythias and the A. O. U. W. He is well known throughout the county, being one of the oldest settlers in the county, and thoroughly familiar with its growth and history. He has been one of its leading men from the start. He is the fortunate owner of four hundred and eighty acres of valuable Foster county lands.
VALMER P. HORN, an energetic and prosperous farmer of township 146, range 62, was one of the earliest settlers of that locality, and has experienced pioneer life in all its discouragements, and has succeeded despite failure of crops and other losses, and is one of the well-to-do men of his community.
Our subject was born in Wilmington, Delaware, June 29, 1861. His father, John Horn, was a ship carpenter by trade and followed it during most of his career, but since 1895 has lived with our subject. The Horn family are of German descent, but have been in America many generations. The mother of our subject bore the maiden name of Emma Paul, and was a daughter of John Paul, a Quaker and a shipwright by trade. The Paul family were Quakers in Pennsylvania.
Mr. Horn was the second in a family of eight children and lived in Wilmington until five years of age, when the family moved to Philadelphia, and there our subject was reared. He attended the city schools and after reaching his ninth year began earning his livelihood. He has worked at many different things. He started to learn a trade at mathematical instrument making with William Young & Sons, No. 43 North Seventh street, Philadelphia. He served four years at it, but became dissatisfied and went to work on a farm in Montgomery county, Pennsylvania, at thirteen years of age, worked one year and then went to peddling summer dry goods in the winter. He failed, and then worked on a farm for a little while and at the age of fourteen years went into the butter business with a partner. They peddled butter and made a success of it, but his partner sold the stock and never returned with the cash. Mr. Horn hired to a Quaker when sixteen years of age and lived with him until attaining his majority, during which time he saved five hundred dollars. He went to Fargo, North Dakota, in 1885. and hired out on a farm through seeding and failed to collect his wages. He purchased a team and went to Foster county, and took a tree claim and pre-emption in township 146. range 62, and later, in 1892, entered a homestead claim. He built a sod shanty on his pre-emption and began breaking the land, but crops were poor for several years or destroyed by hail or storms, and sickness also visited him' during the winter of 1888-89 and he had no means. The following season he rented his land and worked for others and his share of the crop was thirty-five bushels, and in 1891 he also worked out and received six hundred bushels as his share the same year, and in 1891 he bought out a man whose place had been visited by fire, the purchase price being one thousand dollars, and from the grain he sold from the place he immediately realized the cost price. He was successful in 1893, and was enabled to straighten up his debts, and he now has a farm of three hundred and twenty acres, all of which is under cultivation. He purchased a threshing outfit in 1892, and has followed this line of work each season since with good success, and now has a twenty-horse-power rig. with a steam engine and a large separator.
Our subject was married, in the spring of 1887, to Miss Emma Craig. Mrs. Horn was born in Pennsylvania, and was a daughter of George Craig, who was a carpenter by trade. Mr. and Mrs. Horn are the parents of four children, as follows: John, George. Laura and Thomas. Mr. Horn is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and politically is a Republican. He has held school offices in his township, and is active in local affairs, and commands the highest respect of all with whom he has to do.
JOHN H. HUTCHINSON, a well-to do and enterprising farmer, residing in township 145, range 62, is a native of Harrison county, Missouri, where he was born February 5. 1863. His father was E. T. Hutchinson, a farmer by occupation, and his mother, whose maiden name was Elizabeth Jones, was born and reared in Missouri. Her death occurred when our subject was a small child.
Mr. Hutchinson was reared on the farm, and attended the country schools, and when he was sixteen years old began working for himself. In 1892 he came to Foster county, North Dakota, and took up government land. He had one hundred dollars on his arrival, and he erected a claim shanty, and for the first year worked for wages. He raised his first crop in 1895, and since that time he has been very successful. He now owns six hundred and forty acres of land, five hundred acres being under cultivation annually. He has a complete set of good buildings, and all modern farm machinery.
In political views Mr. Hutchinson is a Republican, and takes a commendable interest in public matters of general interest. He is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
JOHN E. INDERGAARD. Foremost among the pioneers to settle in Foster County, North Dakota, must be mentioned John E. Indergaard. Mr. Indergaard is a native of Norway, where he was born on a farm January 14, 1862.
The father of our subject, Elling Indergaard Jemne, was a farmer, and his grandfather, Jergan Eastman, was a blacksmith and farmer, while his grandfather, Ole Jemne, was a farmer. Knute Jemne, uncle of our subject, was a soldier in the Norwegian army. In a family of eight children, John E. Indergaard was the third in order of birth. He grew to manhood in his native land and attended the public schools until he was twenty years old. He then came to America, and landing in New York, proceeded west to Minnesota. There he worked for one year on a farm, and then came to Foster County in 1883, and took up government land. He put up a claim shanty, ten by ten feet, and started to improve his land. At that time he owned one team of oxen, five or six dollars in cash, and from these humble beginnings he has built up his present comfortable fortune. He worked for others a good portion of the first two years. In 1885 he raised a crop of wheat of only ten acres, and this yielded him seventeen bushels to the acre. He lived the life of a bachelor for eight years, and in that time had made substantial improvements on his land. He sold his farm in 1892, and located on section 10, township 147, range 66, where he still lives.
In 1894 Mr. Indergaard married Miss Bertha Rooldson, daughter of Sivert Rooldson, one of the earliest settlers of North Dakota. Mrs. Indergaard was born in Norway, and came to America with her parents when she was but one year old. Mr. and Mrs. Indergaard are the parents of the following children: Elling M., Sidney E., and Edna R., all natives of North Dakota.
Mr. Indergaard has been a very successful farmer, and is now the owner of about eight hundred acres of excellent land, five hundred acres of which are in a good state of cultivation. His estate is furnished with a valuable set of farm buildings, with ample machinery, and is well stocked. In 1891 his farm produced seven thousand bushels of grain.
Mr. Indergaard takes an active interest in political matters. He is a Republican in political faith. He is a valued citizen, and has helped to develop the natural wealth of Foster County in no small degree. He has witnessed the marvelous changes that have taken place in North Dakota, and his influence has always been directed to the best interests and advancement of the state and county.
WILLIAM JONES, the owner of one of the finest and most extensive farms in Foster county, is a native of Crawford county, Wisconsin, where he was born in 1862. His parents were both of English birth and came to America in 1850. The father, Thomas Jones, served ninety days in the army in our Civil war, and died of disease in Chattanooga, Tennessee, while in the service. The mother of our subject bore her husband five children, of whom William was the youngest. He was but an infant at the time of his father's death. He was reared on the farm and attended the country schools. At the age of twenty-seven years he came to North Dakota, arriving in Foster county, in 1883. He had three horses and one hundred and fifty dollars in money. He took land in section 32, township 145, range 62, and erected upon it a claim shanty. His first crop was in 1884, when he raised twelve hundred bushels of oats and one thousand bushels of wheat. He lived alone the first year, but the second year his sister and mother joined him. His greatest crop was in 1899, when he raised a total of fourteen thousand, five hundred bushels of grain. He is now the owner of sixteen hundred acres, and at one time owned a still larger acreage. His land is all under cultivation, and he has good buildings of all kinds, including an eighteen thousand bushel capacity elevator. He has one of the very largest and best improved farms in the county, with all modern machinery and thoroughly stocked. He runs four self-binders and could sell out at any time for at least thirty-five thousand dollars.
Mr. Jones was married, in 1887. to Miss Catherine McKennon. Mrs. Jones is a native of Wisconsin and daughter of Edward McKennon, who is one of the early settlers of Dakota. Mr. and Mrs. Jones have four children. Mr. Jones is a Republican and takes a strong interest in all questions of a public nature. He is a member of the A. O. U. W. and the Modern Woodmen of America.
STEPHEN A. LEWIS, editor of the "Carrington Record," is one of the intelligent and rising young men of Foster county, North Dakota. He has been a resident of the state since his childhood, and since attaining his majority has been identified with the development and financial growth of the locality where he has chosen to reside. He is an able editor and is fast attaining a prominent position in newspaper circles. His paper is one of the bright exchanges of that region, and is Republican in sentiment, and supports every public enterprise tending to the welfare of the locality.
Mr. Lewis was born in Wales, October 25, 1870, and was a son of Car and Anna (Adam) Lewis. Our subject was the youngest in a family of three children, and when six years of age moved with the family to Jamaica, where the father followed the mercantile business. Here he was raised and educated at Potsdam College in the Blue mountains of Jamaica. The family removed to North Dakota in 1883, and settled in Carrington, and the following year moved to Jamestown, and in 1886 the father took land in Eddy county and erected thereon a claim shanty in which the family lived. Our subject began to learn the printer's trade in 1884, on the "Foster County Gazette," owned by Fahning & Appleby, and worked at his trade in different parts of the state until1898. In October, of that year he established the "Carrington Record," and is the present editor of the paper. He has met with success in that calling, and the paper enjoys a wide circulation. He is possessed of intelligent and progressive ideas, and is deservedly popular throughout that region.
THOMAS D. LEWIS, one of the extensive land owners, stock raisers, and general farmers of Foster county, is a pioneer settler of that region, and has accumulated his fortune only through honest industry and good management. He is now the owner of one thousand eight hundred acres of land, and his farm is fully equipped with every comfort and convenience found on a model farm. He makes his home in section 10, in township 145, range 65.
Our subject was born on a farm in Wales, March 8, 1855. His father. John Lewis, was a farmer, as was also his father, Griffith Lewis. The mother of our subject bore the maiden name of Catherine Evans, and his father, Daniel Evans, was a farmer by occupation.
Mr. Lewis was the oldest in a family of eight children and was raised on his father's farm, and attended the schools of his native country. He assisted his father on the farm, and later had charge of the farm more or less until he came to America in May, 1882. He then located in Jamestown, and worked for Sykes & Hughes, who were opening up a large farm in Wells county. He made the trip from Jamestown to the farm overland, and when six miles from Jamestown passed the last house before reaching his destination, sixty miles from Jamestown. He worked on that farm until the fall of 1883, and the previous year had entered claim to the east half of the northwest quarter, and the west half of the northeast quarter of section 10 as a pre-emption, and erected a shanty 12x14 feet. He spent the winter of 1883-84 in his native land and in the spring returned to his home on the southeast quarter of section 10, township 145, range 65, and built a small house and sod barn. He bought a team of horses, wagon, plow, and drag, and began farming in earnest, and during the winter of 1884-85 worked for others, returning to his farm work in the spring. He followed grain raising almost exclusively in early years, but is now raising cattle quite extensively. He owns one thousand eight hundred acres of land, and his buildings, including residence, which is two stories high and basement, and contains fifteen rooms, and his commodious barns, granary, machine shed, and other buildings are among the best to be found within the limits of Foster county. He has a few forest trees, and some small fruits, and enjoys many of the luxuries of farm life. He has two windmills, plenty of good water and a complete set of farm machinery, and keeps one hundred head of cattle and twenty head of work horses.
Our subject was married, February 5. 1884, to Miss Catherine Harry, who was born and raised in Wales. Seven children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Lewis, as follows: William Harry, John Biddulph, Thomas Penry, Gladys Ann, Mabel Mary, Alfred Gladstone and Glyn Myrddyn. Mr. Lewis is prominent in local affairs, and has held numerous offices in his township. He was appointed county commissioner in April, 1894, and has twice been elected to the same office. He holds membership in the Ancient Order of United Workmen. Politically he is a Republican, and is an earnest worker for his party principles. Mr. Lewis has been the builder of his own success. Mr. and Mrs. Lewis are members of the Congregational church. The father of Mrs. Lewis was William Harry, the eldest engine driver at the time of his death in Europe. He was for many years a committeeman of the Great Western Railway. He was well read in Welsh literature during his life time and also a keen politician of the Bright and Cobden school-always in the van of progress. He was a prominent and good man. He died in Wales April 26, 1883. Mrs. Lewis' mother died there February 19. 1887. The grandparents of Mrs. Lewis were farmers and were all residents of Wales.
The information on Trails to the Past © Copyright 2020 may be used in personal family history research, with source citation. The pages in entirety may not be duplicated for publication in any fashion without the permission of the owner. Commercial use of any material on this site is not permitted. Please respect the wishes of those who have contributed their time and efforts to make this free site possible.~Thank you!